• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Biosnake

Oct 25, 2017
From our Press Sneak Friend

This was actually cut from my article late last year - yes, 343 spent a while prototyping a hero-based system. I don't remember exactly when they switched to the current version (and the tweet linked here seems exaggerated to the point where it's mostly false) but I can confirm that they were working on various hero-based prototypes. In fact, I think there were both PVP and PVE prototypes built.

Also:

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I imagine that the larger fan base would be livid over this. Personally I'd love to give something like this a shot.

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
This probably explains why supporting the current game has been difficult for them.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
343's leadership is so messed up if they legitimately thought this was a route the mainline games should follow for any major portion of the development process.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Bullet dodged. So refreshing to have a Halo game be true itself instead of chasing the latest gimmick.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ugh this makes too much sense

No wonder the game seems to struggle. They want to make a game very different from what the fanbase actually wants and wasted all that time when the answer was clear, do a halo ass halo game.

Its fine if they did this kinda thing after the game releases as a test. That's what being gaas is for. But out of the gate???

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Is possible that end up being their own game?
Maybe being a new IP might be well recieved

At this point it seems pretty clear that 343i is doomed to work on Halo forever, regardless of how many times they fail. The studio does not have the freedom to do anything else.

Jul 1, 2020
Halo is one of the last games standing with classic style multiplayer in it. That fact makes it stand out. Making it a hero shooter would have been a mistake not that what they have now is perfect but it's recognizable as Halo.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
I've always been in favor of screw the fans and letting developers do something new. I remember when people were pissed over Sekiro reveal and how it wasn't dark souls 4.

This sounds super cool, hopefully they implement this as a mode or a spin-off, or something. Maybe a different IP.

However, at it's core, Halo infinite is super solid game, it's just doesn't have the variety to keep it fresh.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
At this point it seems pretty clear that 343i is doomed to work on Halo forever, regardless of how many times they fail. The studio does not have the freedom to do anything else.

Say that 343 is "doomed" to work on Halo is hilarious. Working on Halo (all manifestations of it) is their charter. That's why they exist. It's why someone would choose to work there. You don't apply for a job at 343 and expect to work on Doom or Uncharted. 😂

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
of course they thought this was the way to go.

it could work in a firefight or pve mode

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
doesn't surprise me the least it'd be on the table, at least.

wonder how well or bad it actually play tested

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
There was a funny interview with IGN where Bonnie Ross was particularly fond of Apex Legends. Some people took that as Halo was definitely getting a BR, would be funny if it was actually because of the heroes.

I neeed that Halo documentary

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
Considering that the Spartans seem to have their specialities, I could see a hero shooter actually working. But I'm glad we got what we got in Infinite. It's awesome.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
If more than a year was spent on this, it explains the 6 year gap and MP coming in THIS hot.

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020
Honestly a hero based firefight mode based on the Spartan cores you find in the campaign could be kinda badass

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018

No wonder the game seems to struggle. They want to make a game very different from what the fanbase actually wants and wasted all that time when the answer was clear, do a halo ass halo game.

Its fine if they did this kinda thing after the game releases as a test. That's what being gaas is for. But out of the gate???

I'd rather they tried something new that they wanted to do.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
I'd imagine something like this gets scrapped because it isn't working. That said, Halo is in desperate need of a rejuvenation, and something like this would be perfect. The series has been around for twenty years, it needs a shift if it wants to stay relevant at all.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Hm…. Also this would explain the armor core system working the way it does. Could each core have been its own hero?

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020
At this point it seems pretty clear that the Air Force is doomed to fly planes and jets forever, regardless of how many times they fly. The Air Force does not have the freedom to do anything else.

Exposure

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly the actual comment makes it seem like it's more like how Titanfall 1 had a class-based shooter prototype at one point rather than "it was going to be a hero shooter before the big shakeup that happened".

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
That's fair but I feel they could deliver what people want first and then experiment.

It's kinda like cod. They make what people want and then do a side mode. If people like it they make more like it.

I'm of the opinion that developers should do what they want first. Now, this may not translate to sales or to fans being happy but I'd like to see the devs make what they think would be a good game.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
At this point it seems pretty clear that the Air Force is doomed to fly planes and jets forever, regardless of how many times they fly. The Air Force does not have the freedom to do anything else.

This might come as a shock to you, but I just think the concept of a studio that was created for the sole purpose of shepherding one franchise that they aren't very good at shepherding, might be kind of a structural/conceptual failure.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Not even surprised, considering their two prior Halo games felt like "how do you make Halo play like the hot shooter of the day".

Thoughts on Halo under 343 aside, I would genuinely be interested in seeing 343 work on a big game that isn't Halo. At best, they seem to have ideas that are limited by the IP and expectations around it.

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I'm not a fan of the idea and I think its a shame they wasted time and one on it. I totally expect the fan base - specifically the Reddit types that take things too far - is about to have another angry overblown fit over this.

Edit: Edited the above due to my misunderstanding of the game development process.

Last edited:

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
343 needs a huge shakeup after the last decade of clown shoes decisions

Tim Longo is no longer at the company because of this though. 343i have also removed Chris Lee and others who were part of the problem.
Ok that's good to hear

I'd imagine something like this gets scrapped because it isn't working. That said, Halo is in desperate need of a rejuvenation, and something like this would be perfect. The series has been around for twenty years, it needs a shift if it wants to stay relevant at all.
Infinite's combat mechanics are the best the series has ever had, and were compelling enough to push the game ahead of any other shooter launched last year in terms of general public opinion. Infinite's problem isn't its core mechanics, it's its lack of content.

Last edited:

Exposure

Oct 25, 2017
We're going have a ten page plus thread discussion based off an OP that's not even that accurate, aren't we. (Like, big lmao at the guy having to come into this thread going "????? I didn't say that")

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017

It's prototyping, you're meant to waste time in it by throwing stuff and see what sticks.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
"Six years in development" 🥴

I wish people understood that design decisions can change drastically between releases and that it's not a linear path of purely optimized and set-in-stone decisions.

TC McQueen

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, the problem 343i seems to have with, well, everything is that they don't seem capable of doing proper user research that helps them understand what fans want... or they just don't care and do their own thing.

I have no problem with a Halo hero shooter existing as a mode or spinoff game. But they need to show that they can consistently execute and deliver the things people give a shit about as the bare minimum, before branching off and doing other things.