• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017

I'm surprised this wasn't made a thread yet. This is awful, the crunch that these devs have to do is insane and now it will be even worse with the delay to December 10th of Cyberpunk 2077.

Some broader context:

x0T7dNS.png

BoJrwka.png

Screenshot_2020-10-14_at_15.37.51.png

Screenshot_2020-10-14_at_15.38.01.png

Last edited:

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
This is sick. How messed up does management need to be to ask people to ruin their lives like this?

qatak

Oct 27, 2017
yeah i finally got around to canceling my preorder the other day. feeling even better about it now. i'm pretty bummed by everything cdpr has pulled this year.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
Just to be clear, that's 14 hours a day, 7 days a week, from 9am to midnight (assuming an hour's break over that period for food, etc).

Insane.

I sometimes do 50 or 60 hours a week and doing 100 hours IS NOT THE SAME.

Alexzan

Sep 24, 2019
Italy
Yeah, this is obviously awful. And if I have to be honest, I'm not ruling out another delay. Probably won't happen, it's unlikely, but it's 2020 (and crunch time).

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
People should remember that they still have to crunch for a post-release patch and then the next-gen patch for next year.

100 work weeks means you only have 9 hours per day to anything outside of work: sleep, eat, family, friends, commute, life

JaseMath

Oct 27, 2017
Denver, CO
Yikes. People complaining about the inevitable next gen patches post-launch should read this and think about the crunch involved.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Just to be clear, that's 14 hours a day, 7 days a week, from 9am to midnight (assuming an hour's break over that period for food, etc).

Insane.

I sometimes do 50 or 60 hours a week and doing 100 hours IS NOT THE SAME.
People should remember that they still have to crunch for a post-release patch and then the next-gen patch for next year.

100 work weeks means you only have 9 hours per day to anything outside of work: sleep, eat, family, friends, commute, life
for the people in the back

Last edited:

Revolver

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I routinely work 70-80 hours a week. If I don't want to do it anymore I do have the option of quitting and/or finding a new job. You act like they're chained to their desks.

Deleted member 13077

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As I said in the other thread, CDPR upper management are scum. Transphobia enabling, workforce breaking scum.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
...but what does Game Informer have to say about it?

whereisja.gif

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Why is management so poor that they even consider doing this

They should just stop setting release dates till after a game is done at this point. Dont even announce it till you are in post development and release within 6 months of announcement

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Waiting for the "I, too, have bad working conditions, so that makes it okay and we shouldn't feel bad for them!" post.

Surely it's being fired up as we speak. This is brutal. The timeline of this game has been insane, and the missteps management has made publicly have only compounded this mess. I feel terrible for the people working those hours.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
It's okay, guys, crunch culture is part of the videogame industry, this is how it's supposed to be!

Seriously, fuck CDPR and any other company or person who believes this is "the only way to do it".

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Christ, that's inhuman. The max I've worked has been 60 hours in a week, and I felt like shit. These poor people.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
People who think going gold means development is over should be paying attention to this story and the one about the delay caused by the fact that the game isn't ready for next gen consoles.

Tokio Blues

Sep 14, 2018
So..... why don't delay it 3 months and give people a normal life? Come on, the game is gold, wtf. If they trying to sell it and optimizing the game for next gen, just delay it. Period.

OP
OP
Meelow

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
I routinely work 70-80 hours a week. If I don't want to do it anymore I do have the option of quitting and/or finding a new job. You act like they're chained to their desks.

Right, I forgot it's easy quitting your career and finding a new job.

Especially in 2020.

Do you even hear yourself?

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
Between this and their transphobic bullshit it was pretty easy to cancel my pre order i've had for who knows how long. As much as I want to love the game, it would be hard to push this aside while playing through it.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Worked to death for a luxury product.

In 2020, this is just tragedy layered over farce.

LetsEatSnacks

Oct 18, 2020
United States
This sucks but that whole last part about the former dev seeing a friend who looked physically ill seems a little bit of a stretch. While it might be true, it kind of reads like "I know a guy who knows a guy and he said..."

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

Jesus.......

Like I said before, fuck CDPR.

y2kyle89

Mar 16, 2018
Mass
I've worked a 12 hour day once for a go live and was miserable the day afterwards, but I got that day off, I can't imagine having to log in and just start working again...

Edit: I did the math wrong, it'd be like working 20 hours days. I can't even conceive that...

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I attempt to document every classic response to tweets like this:
  • What's Jason's agenda with this reporting?
  • People aren't working 100 hours.
  • Jason only talks to one source, I doubt that everyone does this.
  • Crunch happens in every industry, this isn't new.
  • Why does he have to steal the developer's spotlight, can't he just let them have some happiness for once?
  • I mean at least they are getting bonuses.
  • Their overtime pay is going to be crazy then.
  • Well they aren't forced to work 100 hours a week, they could just, ya know, quit.
  • If its so bad, why do they still work there?

Edit:

Bingo card for you:

results

Last edited:

Iacomus

Dec 26, 2018
As much as I am sickened to hear this. It wont matter to the Cyberpunk fans, CD Project Red could kill their pet and they would still support them.

Coi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Where we draw the line of "CDPR is a trash company" and "employees are free to choice a company to work, specially on high skill works/companies like the CDPR talent"?
I'm on the second choice.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
Nobody has explained to me why they couldn't have just hired more devs instead of upping crunchtime. Especially in COVID times when everyone is remote, why isn't this a possibility?

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
In a full 7 day calendar week there only exits 168 hours..so that leaves *checks notes* 68 hours for these people to eat, sleep and shit.

Deleted member 26156

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Fuck off with this misery Olympics. There is NO defense for them being worked this inhumanely hard (or working 70-80 hours a week for that matter), REGARDLESS if they could find another job. That's not even mentioning that we're in the middle of a global pandemic right now with a tight job market globally.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
I attempt to document every classic response to tweets like this:
  • What's Jason's agenda with this reporting?
  • People aren't working 100 hours.
  • Jason only talks to one source, I doubt that everyone does this.
  • Crunch happens in every industry, this isn't new.
  • Why does he have to steal the developer's spotlight, can't he just let them have some happiness for once?
  • I mean at least they are getting bonuses.
  • Their overtime pay is going to be crazy then.
  • Well they aren't forced to work 100 hours a week, they could just, ya know, quit.
  • If its so bad, why do they still work there?
Whew, a factory for terrible takes, lol. That's incredible.