• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Mike Gamble tweeted this out last week

It's just being cute, I know, but I'm actually cringing at the thought that someone might in seriousness read those as a "Let me research the lore". They said they also used the fan-made Wikis when writing ME3 to keep track of the lore but the fault there is that, a former writer would actually go to the Wiki pages of the characters he wrote and make comments and fixes to misinterpreted or miscontextualized quotations. When he left after ME2 they had no "IP writer" anymore and they actually started using the Wiki seriously instead of any internal documentation. That's one of many reasons why the expository dialogue in ME3 often sounds like it was written to summarize instead of developing the story.

And if this was actually for real it would be next-level stupidity, but yah, I totally get he's just teasing fans and being cute.... I hope.

Also, side-note Reddit Mass Effect had a pretty hilarious top comment.
What this means is there is a sheet of paper somewhere in BioWare's office that someone scribbled 'Mass Effect' on.

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
I honestly dont now how you make more Mass Effect anymore.

Andromeda was their shot to write around the ending of 3 and they dropped that ball.

You could do a prequel but yawn.
Andromeda is far from tapped. Just don't bring back the pathfinders, start with a new protag (multiple races this time PLEASE), advance the world like 50-100 years, and have the Milky Way races expand across Andromeda. Then introduce some interesting NEW Andromeda races, drop the super advanced ancient civilization crap they've been leaning on for far too long, then maybe reduce the stakes slightly so you're not saving the damn galaxy....every. single. game. Not saying it would be easy, but that dropped ball is still in play.

Dysun

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
I have zero confidence that BioWare can make a good Mass Effect game again, but I'd love to be proven dead wrong

Kurumi

Oct 26, 2017
If they're going to make another can we at least get the option to play as alien races as well this time? Please Bioware.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Still going to be a massive failure if they keep using frostbite engine. I know Bioware PR said they weren't forced to use Frostbite but it was probably akin to someone holding a gun to your head and saying you have a choice to not comply...

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
What Bioware need is a fresh start. Given how EA's flagship titles have been received this generation, I'm sure the studio heads will try to salvage Bioware's reputation with Dragon Age and Mass Effect coming back into form.

If EA are forced to close down Bioware, the industry reaction may be too much for them to swallow like their previous closures. I mean the company will go on, shares may drop but will still be strong, but many more will avoid EA like a plague.

Blizzcut

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
I don't think there's anything redeemable they can do at this point to save this franchise...yet alone anything produced at Bioware. Too much blood in the water.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
So Bioware's next-gen plans are looking pretty clear now:
  1. Anthem reboot, cross-gen
  2. Dragon Age 4, 2022?
  3. Mass Effect, 2024?
I think it's more like:
  1. Anthem reboot, next gen only - 2021
  2. Dragon Age 4 - Late 2022 delayed to 2023
  3. Mass Effect - 2025 delayed to 2026
You missed something.
To be fair he was talking about new next-gen projects made by Bioware not a remaster of their older titles.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
As long as the reboot doesn't have an overarching universe ending threat I'll be on board. Those stories can be good but it's a tough needle to thread. ME3 is a victim of the need to raise the stakes. I think a better version of that game doesn't start with the Reapers invading and instead the Reapers invading is the bad ending of the game.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
I have hope. Please be good.

In any event I hope they learned that they need to bring back Sam Hulick as the main composer.

Mass Effect Andromeda had a forgettable soundtrack.

It should be Sam Hulick AND Jack Wall.
Sam Hullick is great for ambience music but Wall is amazing at character themes and epic set pieces.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I just can't get too excited from anything Bioware anymore. I give benefit of the doubt but so much talent has left and Casey completely lost any trust I had with ME3

Oct 27, 2017
Will Mass Effect 3's remaster be considered the second game to be "remarstered?"

And they're throwing the dice with one guy whose namesake's catch phrase is "Game Over, man!" and one guy whose name is literally "gamble". What are the chances?

Seriously though, I do want BioWare to succeed. Hoping for the best!

Hawkster

Alt account
Banned
Mar 23, 2019
As long as the reboot doesn't have an overarching universe ending threat I'll be on board. Those stories can be good but it's a tough needle to thread. ME3 is a victim of the need to raise the stakes. I think a better version of that game doesn't start with the Reapers invading and instead the Reapers invading is the bad ending of the game.

I'll say this bluntly: Bioware put themselves into a bad corner establishing Reapers as nearly invincible ancient death machines

a916

Oct 25, 2017
If the Mass Effect trilogy wasn't a trilogy (ie only one game), then a remaster would be nice for them to flesh out a new engine (and by new engine I mean Unreal).

But I don't think they'll handle that, so I'm curious to see what they're cooking up. Hopefully not another lengthy dev time with a rushed development push at the end.

Dr. Doom

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I hope this is produced by the same team which brought us Mass Effect 2, as opposed to the trainwreck that is Andromeda.

TheOne

Alt Account
Banned
May 25, 2019
I still believe Bioware can produce quality games and I believe they can still produce a worthy sequel in the Mass Effect series. Take all the time you need Bioware Edmonton!

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mass Effect 2 is one of my favorite games of all time.

i-am-ready-to-get-hurt-again-8542733.png

Devil

Oct 25, 2017
Give me that proper follow-up to ME3 Destruction ending(with some liberties for Geth surviving) in a fractured galaxy struggling and reeling after the events of the Reaper war. Don't try to pull another Andromeda to site step those events and fallout. Show us the reapercussions...

The Andromeda setup was great to capture the feeling of being an explorer of uncharted worlds, though. Something which was only really achieved by ME1 before it. Andromeda didn't work out for very different reasons than the setup.

rashbeep

Oct 27, 2017
I'd just be happy with a current/next gen remaster of the trilogy at this point. I doubt this current BioWare has any more interesting stories to tell in this universe

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
The Andromeda setup was great to capture the feeling of being an explorer of uncharted worlds, though. Something which was only really achieved by ME1 before it. Andromeda didn't work out for very different reasons than the setup.
You didn't need to go to an entirely new galaxy for that though. ME lore was very explicit that only a tiny fraction, 1%, of the Milky Way had been properly explored. The vast majority was totally uncharted. The Mass Relay system that the Reapers set up was purposefully designed to channel and limit the development and expansion of space faring civilizations. A post ME3 game could easily branch out to those unexplored areas. Not to mention the potential of capturing that sense of re-discovery of visiting places, races and cultures we saw before the Reaper War and then seeing them afterwards and the potentially dramatic effects that near total annihilation and subsequent recovery and conflicts may have had on them.

Scarface

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I really hope Dragon Age and this are a return to form. I know people who work at Bioware and seeing a hometown game dev go out like this really sucks.

God i hate EA with a passion.

Blackage

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Omg they're making the Indoctrination Theory canon and bringing back Tali/Garrus/Sheperd? The mad geniuses!

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
I'll say this bluntly: Bioware put themselves into a bad corner establishing Reapers as nearly invincible ancient death machines

If the story had been focused entirely around Cerberus, fighting them and various forces corrupted by Reaper tech that Cerberus had unleashed, that would've been better than actually fighting Reapers and full on Reaper invasions. You could remove actual Reapers invading at the start of the game while keeping 90% of that story the same which is a mostly well told story up until the ending which is what it has to be because of that game beginning with the reapers invading.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
I recently played SW: KOTOR which made me miss Mass Effect, they share so many similarities that ME is ostensibly a remake.

Any fans of ME should play KOTOR!

More on topic though....yeah I have zero enthusiasm considering the state Bioware are in these days.