• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017

giphy.gif

SC, it's been nice to knowing you.

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry if I have no context for this, but I've always heard of Starcraft 2 as a hot competitive title. Does it not share or conquer the spotlight with Overwatch for eSports?

Reading the report I see it doesn't specifically target Starcraft as a series. Maybe down the line?

Deleted member 1185

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Feel like thats been known for a while. SC2 completely failed to make a splash beyond its initial launch and that genre is dead in esports.

They wont bring it back until they can figure out how to make money off it

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It was either this or getting Starcraft RTS on mobile ala EA. Honestly with the current state of Blizzard, it's probably better that it stays dead until Activision Blizzard has a huge shake up.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
F
Feel like thats been known for a while. SC2 completely failed to make a splash beyond its initial launch and that genre is dead in esports.

They wont bring it back until they can figure out how to make money off it
SC2 was huge for a pretty decent while, and it absolutely made them a shitton of money. It continues to be very popular in co-op which is what they mostly support.

Is it the biggest game in the world like SC1 was? no of course not, but pretending they could somehow not figure out how to make money off of the game is insane. Wings of Liberty sold like 4.5 million copies in 6 months. Sure, that's not Diablo 3 numbers, but what the fuck is.

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Damn the situation with Blizzard is depressing as hell. It makes it hard to play their games knowing how bad things are there.

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
well hope the roumers of a overwatchj pve game, that would make me rather happy. I know I am a outlier, but I honestly belive destiny would have been better with it used overwatch mechanics.

Deleted member 42472

Banned
Apr 21, 2018
As someone who is finally playing through the Zerg campaign the better part of a decade after it came out:

I get it

RTSes are not particularly popular these days and hero-oriented ones are inevitably going to get compared to MOBAs (which is funny). Playing through the campaign I personally think ti is convoluted and shoe horned in (i keep pretending this was in the books) and I think the general reception was very mixed. And multiplayer e-sports wise they are in a more crowded market than ever.

So why double down on something that likely won't sell particularly well and will be a one and done deal when they can instead focus on franchises/IPs that give them a constant revenue stream.

I personally hope that Starcraft 3 happens before Blizzard goes under. But I also think the fact that it took me the better part of a decade to play the Kerrigan campaign says how much that is worth.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
SC2 was the competitive title when it released, but Activision's greed over licensing tournaments essentially killed it. Along with DOTA, they had the monopoly on e-sports, and they fucked it up badly. A mixture of complacency and incompetence.

gogosox82

Oct 25, 2017
Well that is disappointing. I don't think Blizzard has anything I'm interesting for the first time in a long time. Sad times.

Walker_Boh

Oct 25, 2017
Boise, Idaho
Sorry if I have no context for this, but I've always heard of Starcraft 2 as a hot competitive title. Does it not share or conquer the spotlight with Overwatch for eSports?

Reading the report I see it doesn't specifically target Starcraft as a series. Maybe down the line?
I believe it was pretty big up until Dota 2 came huge. I may have gotten the timeline wrong but that is what it feels like to me.

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
In fairness they will probably be supporting SC2 for a decade. Not bad for a dead game.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
I knew Blizzard was gone when we learned that they simply canceled the second Diablo 3 expansion sight-unseen. "Business reasons" or some shit.

That said, I'm not sure this is truly indicative that they have no future interest in StarCraft or just that they currently have no projects in any stage of development (Diablo 4 is clearly their next big game, unless they cancel it).

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Star craft feels like one of those IPs that should have diversified a long time ago.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I hereby claim this abandoned IP.

My first Starcraft game shall be a mobile match 3 gacha kart racer.

SO LET IT BE WRITTEN

SO LET IT BE DONE

Deleted member 19702

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
After how bad they screw up with it, from what it seems, intentional, I'm not surprised. Fuck you Blizzard! Just sell the IP.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
I'm kind of with them on this. I'm too old to really enjoy playing Starcraft as a competitive title, and I have negative interest in seeing them revisit the story after they successfully tracked down every last unfucked cluster in SC2. I'm not really sure what future the game would even have.

If they want to make a more accessible/"casual" RTS title they should do it with Warcraft. SC can simmer until it gets to the point where the tech is hilariously dated, like Brood War was when SC2 came out.

OP
OP
Futabaisthebest<3
Oct 25, 2017
SC2 was the competitive title when it released, but Activision's greed over licensing tournaments essentially killed it. Along with DOTA, they had the monopoly on e-sports, and they fucked it up badly. A mixture of complacency and incompetence.

Ding ding ding.

They shouldn't have made there in the first place, imo.

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like odd extrapolation on Jason's part based solely on that tweet, but I'm sure he knows more than I do.

DealWithIt

Oct 28, 2017
I believe it was pretty big up until Dota 2 came huge. I may have gotten the timeline wrong but that is what it feels like to me.

LoL esports eclipsed sc2 sometime around 2012. Sc2 made a shitton of money though. But sales eventually oversaturate. Blizzard was slow to adapt. They were slow to embrace skins for sc2. They didn't come around until people had moved on to other games.

Blizzard basically gave up the biggest esport of its era by being complacent, and now they've ignore the brand. It's crazy.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
They made Starcraft 20 years ago, in a very different market with a very different staff, with very different priorities. Wings of Liberty, the first part of three, was nearly 10 years ago. Regardless if Blizzard was making this call or Activision, what passion is there expected to be for developing Starcraft all these years later?

woodland

Oct 25, 2017

From what I remember at the time (playing SC2 on a team at college and switching to Dota after TI1 while still in early beta) SC2 was great, but never took off outside of EU and NA. Had a lot of big tournaments as well there, but again, never had massive prize pools like Dota did. Even before Dota came along, SC2 was doing piss-poor in Korea, where Brood War was still dominant because Blizzard wouldn't let other people organize tournys for SC2 like they did BW or something.

Alongside that, expansions for SC2 came out after like 3+ years at a time and they took awhile to address certain balance issues, refusing to tweak certain things outside of major expansions, which caused a lot of frustration too.

butalala

Nov 24, 2017
That list of IP from A-B is nuts: Only 6 titles, four from Blizzard and 1 from Activision. Is this called putting all your eggs in one basket?