• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York

(It's in this same article but people thought it deserved it's own thread as well)

Ubisoft, the French video game publisher that also produces Far Cry, has faced challenges in recent years. In the summer of 2020, dozens of current and former employees accused the company of facilitating sexual misconduct, leading Chief Executive Officer Yves Guillemot to apologize and fire some of his top lieutenants. But many employees say the company has not done enough to fix its cultural problems. The fallout has prompted many employees to leave.

Ubisoft's game production has also struggled. The online game Skull & Bones has been delayed several times due to directional challenges, while Beyond Good & Evil 2, the sequel to a fan favorite, remains in pre-production after at least five years of development, according to people who work on that game. A planned remake of Prince of Persia was also delayed indefinitely.

jimbosimbo

Nov 9, 2020
I'm not really interested in DLC for this game. The main story was a slog to get through on it's own.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Ubi has either completely misread the reverence/demand for BG&E or just use it disingenuously to garner fan interest and good will and have no intention of ever actually making a sequel. BG&E is not some franchise. Its as one game, released like 20 years ago, that became a bit of a cult hit. The time to make a sequel has probably long since passed.

Caiusto

Oct 25, 2017
All of that for a huge game no one asked for, all they needed to do was a sequel to the original game instead of whatever they're doing.

APOEERA

Oct 26, 2017
I'm surprised that Ubisoft hasn't done the easy layup of porting Prince of Persia (2008/Nolan North Prince) to PS4/PS5 and Xbox One/Xbox Series. The game would be absolutely gorgeous in 4K and 1080p.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I'm more shocked that Skull & Bones is still being worked on.

Sinsem

Nov 6, 2017
France
Some of my friends joined the project back in 2014 (and some are still working on it), and it was already a few years in.

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020
I'm surprised that Ubisoft hasn't done the easy layup of porting Prince of Persia (2008/Nolan North Prince) to PS4/PS5 and Xbox One/Xbox Series. The game would be absolutely gorgeous in 4K and 1080p.

NGL, I first played it a few years back (thanks to backwards compatibility). It was gorgeous--maybe not as sharp as it could be, but the art style and colors do a ton of work for me.

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
It's Ubisoft. BG&E2 will eventually be canceled, and instead fans of the original can look forward to Pey'jcoin NFTs.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
The original - very first - teaser was in 2008, and the more concrete one was, what, 2017?

It's... been a while. It's not really something you can consider in parallel because they're very different forms of development hell, but 2008-2022 is not dissimilar to 1997-2011 - Duke Nukem Forever's period between announcement and release.

Feb 4, 2018
Ubi has either completely misread the reverence/demand for BG&E or just use it disingenuously to garner fan interest and good will and have no intention of ever actually making a sequel. BG&E is not some franchise. Its as one game, released like 20 years ago, that became a bit of a cult hit. The time to make a sequel has probably long since passed.
They should take its assets and turn it into a BOTW-clone.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Bingo!

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kill it. Don't lead us on like this. Nothing that's been worked on this long has ever ended up being any good

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
So you're saying there's still a chance that they scrap the always online aspect?

Sure, I'll keep hoping. Maybe.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
BG&E2 is basically the new Duke Nukem Forever

They're going to have to release another HD Remaster (4K?) before releasing a sequel at this point. I only remember a talking pig, some green shit, aliens maybe. Watercraft too I think?

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I'm imagining a bunch of people sitting around a table or, of late, zoom calls going "what are we supposed to do with this" followed by "dunno" and "coffee break?" week in, week out.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Still in pre-production??? I thought I was reading still in development but it seems its delevopment still didn't start yet.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
They have no fucking idea what to do with this game. The footage they showed a while ago looked way too ambitious for its own good. I hope it does end up coming out eventually though.

Whatever happened to Skulls and Bones?

egg

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
You're telling me they had MORE VALHALLA DLC planned, enough to make a whole ass additional spin off game!? WTF

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
With the main guy behind the push leaving rather publicly it will go nowhere if there's not someone rather high up who's dedicated to see it done.
Don't expect to ever play this.

Not that I would be interested in something from the NFT&Rape company.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
Well the good news is that it hasn't been cancelled yet. It kind of sucks that the only two Ubisoft games I'm interested in (BGE2 and Skull & Bones) are seemingly never coming out.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Completely forgot about the Sands of Time remake!

That was a weird one because they announced it just 4 months before it was supposed to release back in Jan '21. Wonder what happened that delayed it indefinitely given it was so close to launch?

Sep 23, 2018
Wait, Skull and Bones still isn't out?
I thought there was at least a Base playable mode, maybe a closed beta or something similar?

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
An assassin's creed game focused on STEALTH? Hyped! Hasn't been that way since YEARS :D

And yeah not surprised about B:G&E2. It was only started due to the hostile takeover threat and ubi wanted to show its fans some 'fake love'.

Its gonna get canned sooner or later.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
They completely missed the mark with the pitch for BG&E anyway, they tried to make a game fans of the first didn't really want

I hope they return to making more SP standalone games though, I really liked the Freedom Cry's & the Blood Dragons they used to make after a big mainline game, so hopefully the new Assassin's Creed will be decent, before they tank the IP with Infinity anyway