• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
there are really people who is hoping for Bioware to fail everytime and be closed.
Sure, but I think the majority here are just frustrated, disappointed, and sad to see Bioware in this position. For many, they were once their favorite game developer - with some of the most beloved games of all time.

I don't want Bioware to die; I want them to succeed. But I also know that I've been habitually disappointed by them for an entire console generation (and longer). Even if they fully turn Anthem around, Anthem was never going to be the type of game I go to for my Bioware fix. They were the industry leaders of western RPGs that married player choice with deep lore, amazing party-driven storylines, great dialogue, and strong single-player content. That's not what Anthem aimed to be, and even 100% turning the gameplay around won't fix the lackluster story or characters.

What so many of us what is just a Bioware that's a return to form - doing what they do BEST, at their A-game. Hopefully Dragon Age 4 turns out to be this, but it's telling that there hasn't been a universally beloved story-driven Bioware game since 2010.

I want Bioware to succeed, but I also want games like Neverwinter Nights, Baldur's Gate, Jade Empire, KOTOR, Dragon Age: Origins, and Mass Effect at the forefront of their studio efforts. It's frustrating watching all these other great single-player, story-driven games come out and eat their lunch when they used to be the kings of the mountain for a good long while.

It's insane to me that a small-team B-game like "Greedfall" scratches the Bioware-itch more than Bioware these days, and turned out to be the better game last year as well.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
They should just remove the skybox limit and remove the flight timer -- let me fly forever. :)
Anthem In Space!

I do think they should increase the heat amount before overheating while flying - I know you can just take a dip in the water or fly through a waterfall to cool off but those can be far and few between in some areas. I'd much prefer them extending the flight timer before overheat by a substantial amount - it doesn't really seem to affect general gameplay imo, just let people fly how they want to for as long as they want to.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Spending the money to save anthem means not investing the money in a new project. Will Anthem reborn make more money then a successful new project?

SE had other reason besides how much FF14 makes in saving the game, same for NMS. SE was trying to save the FF franchise and Hello Games needed to save their reputation.
I'd imagine that saving Anthem requires less money than a brand new project. I can see how trying to save a project that bombed can have its appeal too. For starters, the marketing might basically do itself once the game is updated, people love a redemption story. Take NMS, for instance. Hello Games didn't need all the marketing machine that Sony provided once they started updating the game, because after the first big update, the narrative was set. NMS was redeemed. Every new updated spoke for itself and most definitely brought new players.

Anthem goes further, because its business model is centered on microtransactions. It needs to bring players back more than it needs new players, so they can go and spend money on cosmetics and stuff. That's where EA expected the bulk of revenue to be, so there is more potential for profit here than a game like NMS. People were interested in the game Anthem was supposed to be, that much was clear from its sales - it was one of the best selling games of 2019 -, so if they do pull off a NMS, I don't see people just not caring about it. I might be wrong, but there is clearly potential here.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Anthem is being worked on by all of Bioware Austin. all of Edmonton is on Dragon Age. this isn't "b-team" stuff, the game is in a whole different studio
So the people with the original vision that was pitched to the public (that we seemed to like!) aren't currently working on the game?

I suppose that could be a good thing actually but it's hard to know. Good luck to the team that inherited this!

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
So the people with the original vision that was pitched to the public (that we seemed to like!) aren't currently working on the game?

I suppose that could be a good thing actually but it's hard to know. Good luck to the team that inherited this!
According to Schreier, both studios were working on plans to overhaul the game. But it's very likely that Austin is taking the brunt of development, since we know Edmonton is back to focusing on both Dragon Age and Mass Effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.