• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
Too risky, this could end up like the overhaul of that...my gosh I can't even remember the name. Does anyone remember the 1 vs 4 game where one person is a monster and the others have to hunt the monster but the game was criticized for micro transactions so the developer made it free to play but that didn't last long. I am not trying to make a point, I honestly forgot the name.

Another example could be Fallout 76! I remember that one, they did some big overhaul but yeah just look at the game right now.

I believe the game you're describing is Evolve by Turtle Rock Studios.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well the game still sold decently and at this point maybe the combined failure of ME:A and Anthem would have been worse for the reputation/perception of future projects than putting in the money and time to create a good narrative around Anthem, similar to FFXIV (that now has the most subs it has ever had).

Granted, it's going to be a hard sell and tough road ahead for Anthem. Remaking FFXIV into what it is today was probably an easier task, and presumably BioWare will still be chained to using the terrible Frostbite engine. People can at me over calling Frostbite terrible if they want, because that engine was never ever built w anything but Battlefield in mind and quality of culture be damned is likely the single biggest negative feedback loop that has effected the quality of Biowares output.

When you're constantly dealing with hacking in simple features that are then unstable and break constantly it takes away from the teams ability to actually realize, prove, iterate, and polish the game at all. Not too mention would create a negative feedback loop w culture and organizational decision making.

Last edited:

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
The core gameplay felt good in Anthem, it's just that everything surrounding it was completely botched.

I hope they can pull this off. I'll definitely be checking it out if they do.

It's not even worth saving at this point, they should just make Anthem 2

Nobody would buy Anthem 2.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm conflicted. On the one hand, glad they're trying to save the game. But it might all just be a waste of money. As others have said, FF14 was already part of a popular, established franchise, and No Man"s Sky was an indie game so far cheaper to fix.

I don't know if Anthem can be saved at this poi t.

It's not even worth saving at this point, they should just make Anthem 2

Who the fuck would buy it?

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Core of the problem of Anthem is that the game is designed as a one massive playground. There's basically only one map where the devs expect people to spend most of players' time doing randomized missions and tasks. There are proper dungeons but there's only a few of them. It gets old real fast.

I can't imagine how would they overhaul the game from that.

BADMAN

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They could make it excellent and I still don't think I'd play it. GaaS games really aren't for me.

Boddy

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People really should stop comparing any failed game to FF14.
That was very much a once in a lifetime thing and only really happened because SE wanted to save thier flagship franchise.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Well kudos for sticking it to then. Anthem looks like it could have been good.

At least it's not F76 which every fibre of my body wants to die.

Jinroh

Oct 28, 2017
Lausanne, Switzerland
Get rid of the slow walking in first person in town, make it optional post story ending, get rid of the loadings, implement more random events in a bigger map, make loot interesting, give mobs and IA and then the game becomes solid.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
Final Fantasy was a name worth saving.
Fallout is a name worth saving.
These are beloved IPs.

Anthem is a new IP, the better thing to do would be to just give the overhaul the role of a sequel.
Just like Street fighter was horrendous and Street Fighter 2 onwards fantastic.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Granted, it's going to be a hard sell and tough road ahead for Anthem. Remaking FFXIV into what it is today was probably an easier task, and presumably BioWare will still be chained to using the terrible Frostbite engine. People can at me over calling Frostbite terrible if they want, because that engine was never ever built w anything but Battlefield in mind and quality of culture be damned is likely the single biggest negative feedback loop that has effected the quality of Biowares output.

Crystal tools wasn't the easiest thing to deal with at the time and, based of some of the team's explanations, is still causing trouble for the team to implement features today. I think any overhaul isn't going to change the base engine of the game. SE literally killed projects to rally much of the company to FFXIV and figure it out. That's what made SE seemed to stop dead in its tracks during the middle of that generation. Bioware still has a similarly tough road.

Militaratus

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
So why are they trying to redo Anthem, and not redo Andromeda and restore the original vision of that game?

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So why are they trying to redo Anthem, and not redo Andromeda and restore the original vision of that game?
Andromeda was a single player game beyond saving. Anthem fault is design choices and barebone product. Andromeda was fucked up from the core.

Also there is no money to be earned through mtx, expansions in Andromeda, while Anthem will still be played if they fixed it by 2020-PS5 relaunch.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck all those who buy the game Bioware, just drop the whole thing and move on /s

Yeah no, I think this game is salvageable and remember it took about 1 year to year and half to put this whole game together, a year or more could definitely help it. Fix it, add content and release it with next gen and of course make it a free upgrade to those who bough it, they might even disrupt Destiny if they can release it first by next gen, provided that it will be a great game

DrScissorsMD

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 19, 2019
If, and it's the worlds biggest fucking if, they could turn it around then it absolutely could be a great game. There's some neat ideas in there, the flying was cool. But christ was the content barebones.

Niceguydan8

Nov 1, 2017
I found Anthem to have a really solid core, just seemed like it could use a lot more time in the oven. I'm totally fine with BioWare giving this another shot. It could turn into something really cool.

Shevek

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Town, South Africa
It's really frustrating that they're dedicating what must be massive resources to salvaging Anthem, but I think for them it's in part about undoing the reputational damage that Anthem has caused for their studio.

I won't be playing it but I'm interested to see what comes of this.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
It's really frustrating that they're dedicating what must be massive resources to salvaging Anthem, but I think for them it's in part about undoing the reputational damage that Anthem has caused for their studio.

I won't be playing it but I'm interested to see what comes of this.
I think this is the case too. Like in the past few years the only other dud Bioware had was what, Dragon Age 2? And even that wasn't that bad it was just pretty clearly budget constrained and so reused a ton of content in a really dull way.

Anthem is like a whole other level of misfire for them, so they probably want to be able to go "Look, we made good on it, you can still expect quality from us." Especially if they're making another Mass Effect in which case they will want to be able to distance themselves from the studio that made Andromeda.

Cripterion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Even the name of the game sucks. They ought to take some of the assets and move on to the next Mass Effect game.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Has a complete overhaul ever worked out well for a game?

I'm not even sure I can think of a game where it did.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Really a lesson of don't release a game until it's ready. These GAAS games all seem to fail at this yet time and time again, here we are trying to salvage them. I guess Destiny got lucky as it was one of the first games and everyone wanted a piece. But it's not the way to go to release a shoddy, half finished product in the first place. They need to have enough content initially to see them through several months with a roadmap in place that constantly adds new stuff.

At its core Anthem is a great game that lacked content and had several issues (which they did fix to an extent) but it was too little, too late and now it's an uphill colossal struggle to not only fix the game but change the perception of the title for good in most people's eyes. Hats off in they can do all that. But it's going to be very difficult.

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
I imagine they feel they have to retool it because like other developers they're pushing GaaS models and that puts them all in a Final Fantasy kind of box where they have to overhaul it so that they don't lose credibility when their next GaaS title comes out.

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Can't believe people want more Mass Effect and Dragon Age. Two franchises completely played out and overdone.

Rather see what they can do with a new product such as Anthem. It's still salvageable.

Deleted member 8784

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I just can't believe they watched the response to the horribly unfinished and buggy Fallout 76, and then decided to release the unfinished and buggy Anthem three months later. It honestly blows my mind.

Cripterion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can't believe people want more Mass Effect and Dragon Age. Two franchises completely played out and overdone.

Rather see what they can do with a new product such as Anthem. It's still salvageable.

Mass Effect game is universe where they can do so much more, many stories can be told in it, they don't have to go back so Sheppard.

Everything about Anthem is plain ridiculous. They would need to reboot pretty much everything including the story so might as well go make another game.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017

Mass Effect is my favourite video game IP, they managed to create an incredibly deep and solid sci fi world that can lend itself many different stories or even genres. There's room for a lot more where those games came from. Of course I want more Mass Effect.

As for Anthem, I got EA Access to play it, and despite loving the customization and flying mechanics, I was bored to death within a couple of hours. I have zero interest in its world and narrative content, it doesn't feel "authentic" but just written to fill a GAAS structure. I'm curious to see what they will do, but I don't have much hope for it, and am much more eager to hear more about that new ME project, though that probably won't be anytime soon.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

ME would only be interesting if they. Just rebooted it. It has legacy there but also legacy people hate. Needs a fresh start.

DA seems to have a following but they have always been a bit average to me personally. Just nothing really stands out. Not terrible but bit crazy amazing. Strictly average.

At least Anthem was something new and fresh. Would rather then out full effort into make that great instead of another DA.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't think Anthem is unsalvageable. I just don't believe EA and BioWare are willing or capable of putting in the necessary work. I'd be happy to be proven wrong though.

notme2020

Dec 3, 2017
Good luck Bioware i hope you can turn Anthem around. Keep the flying, javalins, and loot. Work on the world and things to do in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.