• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
The core game seems to be flawed to make it work you would have pull up its roots, I mean the engine itself is not good for Anthem...

Turbo Tu-Tone

Oct 27, 2017
zRypIta.gif

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
What got me the most hype is the confirmation at the end of the article that a new Mass Effect is in early development. Really hoping BW delivers with the next couple of projects (including Anthem Next).

MrS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think they have the ability, capacity, and talent to turn the game around. Question is if they have the commitment and discipline to, and only time will tell.
Based on? They are the same team who launched the game, are they not? We need to stop giving passes and handing out good will to companies who launch games in broken states and then pledge to fix them down the line after everybody has moved on. The game had the opportunity to be "the Destiny Killer" and had a lot of good will pre-launch. The opportunity was squandered.

SerAardvark

Oct 25, 2017
If they can figure out a way to turn it around that'd be great - there's definitely an interesting core of ideas there - but I'm remaining skeptical when they don't have a timeline or details or (seemingly) much of a plan yet. It makes sense that they'd want to combat the negative perception of Bioware, but their latest releases have made that pretty deserved.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Eh, I guess they sunk too much time and money to just pull the plug.

Salty Rice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pancake City
Just let it die.

It would be another story if it would have been Mass Effect since people actually care about that IP and its reputation but lets be honest nobody really cares about the Anthem IP.

Take the resources and make sure you make a good game again instead trying to 180 a dead game.

olag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My morbid curiosity keeps bringing me back to Bioware. Whilst I think anthem can probably be salvaged in some way or form ,I don't think that EA's overall vision will let Bioware produce a worthwhile single player RPG.

But having said that, I'm more than open to being suprised.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
People have moved on to so much more already.. well at least The 5 people still playing will love this, what a strange usage of resources

Deleted member 29249

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Loved the flying around and skills, if they can fix stuff around them I'lol play again. As is if I had to make a top 10 games of 2019 for me it's would hang out around 9/10. I had a lot of fun with it.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
None of these games had compitition in place that was best in class at the time. Destiny 2 is out here snatching anthem's breakfast, lunch and dinner. It's not gonna happen.

Final Fantasy XiV doesnt have competition?

You expect people to just give up, nah ...that aint the winners mentality.

If they make the right choices and create a product people want, we will be straight back in there. It's not like destiny hit a home run.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Wouldn't be the first game to be resurrected but I think it's going to be really, really tough with anthem.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I'm down. There are some aspects of Anthem I think are really neat, if they make those shine and build quality systems around them it could be a good time.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
That's actually cool that they aren't just letting it be a failure and are putting resources in to turn it around. I'll be very interested to see what comes of this.

janoGX

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Chile
If anything they should make Anthem 2, but move, the fuck, away, from Frostbite, use Unreal, Unity, borrow Decima from Guerrilla. Idk, grab a good engine for these kind of games.

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus Christ LET IT DIE AND PUT EVERYBODY ON MASS EFFECT OR DRAGON AGE

Edit: This game is not FF14, it's not the Master Chief Collection, it's not No Man's Sky. It's not part of a hugely successful IP where loyal fans will return to a good product if it's made right, nor a game whose lengthy development attracted significant hype and anticipation where some good will still remains. It's a dead IP that was dead the moment it was released, that had no pre-release anticipation, that has no notable fanbase. Cut your losses and go home.
If No Man's Sky pulled it off, there is no reason Anthem can't as well. If anything, I want them to succeed as it will hopefully allow them to make other games (ahem, return to Mass Effect).

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
The only way to do this is to remake the entire game in a different engine. Not sure how sustainable that is.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Good luck.

I cant recall a mmo thats gone cold organically ever being succesfully revived. Ever. It doesnt happen. In fact, i strongly doubt the premise of the article that any significant resources would be devoted to anthem ever again. EA knows its dead.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
I actually really liked the gameplay itself but the ridiculous load screens, having to return to the fort to equip new loot, the lack of loot in the end game and the lack of end game activities killed it for me. So if they could reboot it I'd be willing to give it another look.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
They really just need to call mulligan on this and move on, even if they manage to get a polished, balanced product at the end it will still be in service of a boring premise in a bland universe

Cathcart

Oct 29, 2017
They really just need to call mulligan on this and move on, even if they manage to get a polished, balanced product at the end it will still be in service of a boring premise in a bland universe
Could have said the same thing about XIV and now Shadowbringers is likely my game of the year.

Good for Bioware. They made a product people weren't happy with and they're trying to make it right. Pleasantly surprised they didn't decide to walk away from it.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Swap to Unreal Engine.
Keep flight mechanics and expand on them.
Retain the open world but scale down the size but up the amount of encounters.
Either use the Anthem of creation stuff in interesting ways or drop it in favour of something else.
Make it a F2P loot shooter and fill it full of random cosmetics. Keep the actual loot in the game, don't hide is away through other means.

JoeBoy101

Oct 25, 2017
Based on? They are the same team who launched the game, are they not? We need to stop giving passes and handing out good will to companies who launch games in broken states and then pledge to fix them down the line after everybody has moved on. The game had the opportunity to be "the Destiny Killer" and had a lot of good will pre-launch. The opportunity was squandered.

Based on Jason's expose, that team barely even had a year to program and build that game. All the previous development time was squandered in pre-development and planning. In my mind, that team hasn't had an adequate amount of time to develop that game. Sure the opportunity was squandered at launch, doesn't mean they should squander the chance to turn it around and build it into something respectable.

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
I really enjoyed the gameplay of anthem - more than a lot of other new games that have dropped over the last few years. I'd love a reason to go back to anthem at some point in ze future...

If they come back with an actual armor to hunt for, numbers and scaling that makes sense and something fun to do inside that world I'll go back for sure.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I really enjoyed the gameplay of anthem - more than a lot of other new games that have dropped over the last few years. I'd love a reason to go back to anthem at some point in ze future...

If they come back with an actual armor to hunt for, numbers and scaling that makes sense and something fun to do inside that world I'll go back for sure.
Same here. As much as Era hates Anthem, there were elements that were genuinely fun to play. It just needed way more time in the oven.

Cathcart

Oct 29, 2017
Anthem doesnt have 3 decades of IP nostalgia to lean on for a lot of its content (or a monthly subscription fee), they arent equivalent situations
Yes I'm pretty sure we all understand that comparisons only go so far. Nobody expects Bioware to follow the exact development path and timeline of Final Fantasy XIV. Adding Cloud's motorcycle to a game isn't the only way to make a bad game better, Bioware will just have to find their own way to make things right to their customers.

If it helps, I was also happy with where No Man's Sky ended up. They didn't have 3 decades of anything, either! A true miracle.

ryan13ts

Oct 28, 2017
I actually have some respect for them trying to salvage this rotting, dead corpse of a game, if only because they droned on about how they were supporting it for years to come even in the face of failure. That's honestly a good thing for people that have stuck through and supported the game even under all these circumstances.

If I'm looking at it realistically though, it's honesty probably better to just (continue to) let it die. It's not impossible for a complete turnaround ala Destiny 2/Forsaken, but the game just has too much of a negative stigma around it and I don't think players that left will come back, much less draw in new ones.

Though I suppose it's a wait and see situation, I could end up being completely wrong (Wouldn't be the first time, I thought Destiny 2 was a goner pre-forsaken)

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
Same here. As much as Era hates Anthem, there were elements that were genuinely fun to play. It just needed way more time in the oven.

The flying and movement along with the combat loop focusing on combining elements of different supers is all genuinely fun and actually different compared to a lot of what's out there. I'd rather have those two weeks of enjoying anthem then another CoD.

It really did need like another year of work for content and stability.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
Sure, I think it can be done. Anthem has the potential to be great. The question is if it has the potential to be successful. The name Anthem has sorta become a joke, and right after release it was synonymous with everything people hated about EA, live service games, and just the AAA space in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.