• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Simo

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan, USA
The other thread was closed citing "new information, New thread" but nobody made one. Either way, Jason took to Twitter a few hours ago to clarify the CP2077 release rumor he spoke of earlier in the week after it spread to reddit and whatnot.

If the tweet doesn't load, Jason was told by 3 separate sources that Cyberpunk 2077 was/is aiming for a 2019 release but the belief around the CDPR studio was that this is a "unrealistic target". He thinks they still may end up announcing it for 2019, even at E3, but fully expects to be delayed to early 2020.

For what it's worth there were a couple of interesting points from CD Project's financial meeting a week or so back: one was that Bloomberg asked them directly if they were going to announce the game's release date at E3, to which they coyly didn't answer citing "we can neither confirm nor deny we'll be announcing a release date."

The second bit of info was that CD Projekt revealed they had spent a bit of cash flow in Q1 2019 not only for Cyberpunk's marketing for E3 and beyond but also on the development and manufacturing of the game's Collector Edition and it's various contents.

TheMan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People around these parents seemed to barely think 2020 could happen at all so less than 1 year sounds goddamn good to me

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
I never expected the game to be 2020 so good news

The battle between this and TLOU Part II will be epic

Oct 30, 2017
Just as long as there's a PS5 update/release that's ready to go shortly after the new console launches, I say let them take all the time they need.

TheHyde

Oct 29, 2017
There looks to be some financial pressure to release during current fiscal year, fully expect a release before end of March 2020.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They should launch the game alongside the new consoles next year. It's the perfect time to launch a new IP.

Loan Wolf

Nov 9, 2017
I don't mind waiting until late 2020 if it means complete polish and workers not going through constant crunch

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
Oh. Early 2020 is much sooner than I expected. Guess I better clear my calendar.

The_R3medy

Jan 22, 2018
Wisconsin
Boy, CD Projekt making unrealistic expectations of their employees and probably pushing them insanely hard? Where have I heard that one before?

We're definitely gonna see a story from Jason or others about the hellish crunch around Cyberpunk, aren't we?

OP
OP
Simo

Simo

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan, USA
I feel like I must be reading this wrong. Why would they announce a 2019 release knowing they're going to push to 2020?

Red-Dead-Redemption-2-768x533.png

Happens a lot.

I'd wager at E3 they'll announce whatever release window along side the various SKUs including the CE.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
Legitimately was expecting it for 2021, so this is a really cool surprise either way. I'd almost rather have it next year so I can first experience it on next-gen hardware!

OP
OP
Simo

Simo

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan, USA
Not gonna lie I'll still be hype as fuck seeing a E3 trailer and "Late 2019" despite obviously expecting a delay. lol

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
TLOU2/Cyberpunk/GRRM+From Collaboration all in the first half of 2020 would be the perfect send off for an amazing generation.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Game has been playable from beginning to end since before last E3. Don't know why people were expecting this to come out past 2020. With how they crunch the game should be feature complete and in beta by now.

Bluelote

Oct 27, 2017
didn't development start in at least 2016? a late 2019 release sounds believable for me, specially given the amount of gameplay they showed a year ago.

Last edited:

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Spring 2020 has been my expectation for a bit. Same thing happened with Witcher 3.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
I'd imagine a game with that much detail, complexity, and possibility isn't easy to polish & bug fix. Don't rush. Take your time and do it right, CDPR. Most importantly don't crunch your employees!

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I must be reading this wrong. Why would they announce a 2019 release knowing they're going to push to 2020?

Same thing happened with Arkham Knight. They announced it with an October release date full well knowing they had zero chance of hitting it, but they wanted to get the hype machine going for it. It then almost immediately got delayed to the following year and didn't come out until June.

Flavius

Oct 28, 2017
Orlando, FL
Same thing happened with Arkham Knight. They announced it with an October release date full well knowing they had zero chance of hitting it, but they wanted to get the hype machine going for it. It then almost immediately got delayed to the following year and didn't come out until June.

That's interesting. I wonder if the metrics actually back up that approach. I'd think a release date would have minimal impact compared to advertising.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
You're the second person to quote me with a nonanswer. I understand delays happen but for those with knowledge, why commit to a release date you have no intention of making?

I'm not an analyst, but I imagine that you build hype, carefully cultivate things, then, when you slip back, it's not (usually) an OBSCENE delay, so people are more understanding.

Like, say CDPR announces for November 2019, then slips to May 2020 - that's 'only' a 5 month delay, nothing to get super angry over.

Plus, it helps perpetuate the hype cycle, in turn generating more pre-orders and such.

On topic, I'm glad to see the 2019 goal wasn't 'never going to happen' levels - which would have meant the game was in a much worse state - but I'm curious to see how this turns out.

On one hand I'd love 2019, but on the other, I'd rather have the game be great.

Though, I am curious about the critical path being playable from start to finish since July/August of last year, the allocation of funds for/making of the CEs 'now' (that's pretty early), and the whole 'two games by 2021' promise to investors.

I'm guessing the 2nd is a Witcher re-tread or Cyberpunk multiplayer standalone, but we'll see.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Shit won't come out in early 2020 unless there is no PS5/Scarlett version so they have to release it before next gen.