• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

lost7

Feb 20, 2018
Wow, what a disaster this has been. I really hope a lot of people who latched onto these rumors will learn their lessons...

Last edited:

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Will people that jumped the gun on Naughty Dog not paying the leaker come here and admit they were wrong?

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
But the disgruntled employee?!!! and he's definitely getting sued now.
Will people that jumped the gun on Naughty Dog not paying the leaker come here and admit they were wrong?
Nope. They'll be at the next rumor with half assed source to shit again all over ND tho...

Aegus

Oct 29, 2017
If only these hackers could use their talents for some good in the world.

Stayfone

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Impressive way of getting access to data. If only those hackers used their knowledge for good.

Couscous

Oct 30, 2017
Twente (The Netherlands)
I'm pretty curious what the 'influencers' on YouTube have to say about this. They are probably going to say this is bullshit and they will then continue to believe their Reddit rumours bs.

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020
2 things:

how did Sony not learn from the 2013 hack and have a team of white hats looking for vulnerabilities.

we will most certainly never see the arrest or apprehension of these individuals publicly.

I wonder if Microsoft will provide beefier protections when they move to azure

Slyonic

Oct 29, 2017
I don't want to click on that Twitter thread for fear of spoilers, but what was the older ND game?

OP
OP
Oct 26, 2017
I don't want to click on that Twitter thread for fear of spoilers, but what was the older ND game?

This vulnerability was discovered recently and some hackers took full advantage of it, saving TLOU1, UC3, and other dev stuff. At the time, it was disclosed to me around early February, and was very early on so ~January 2020 it was discovered

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Glad the truth came to light. Every carpetbagger on here who knowingly spread lies because they sensed blood in the water and had ulterior motives should be banned.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT

Technically ND didn't pay the leaker so those people aren't wrong :P

Seriously though, even Schreier jumped the gun on the leaker being a ND employee which is why the fake rumor about not paying employees was believed by so many.

Knowing the truth behind the leak doesn't change whatever crunch conditions exist/ed at ND from being a problem that should be criticized.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
For people who are entertaining or has entertained conspiracy theories - all I'll say is this.

Sony as an organization - this gen alone, has shut down studios ( GGC, Evo, VR ), laid off more than three dozen employees at one-go (SSM), made jobs redundant in sizable amounts as part of restructuring, etc. And that's what we know, nevermind what we don't know.

Ask yourself, that within an organization of 400-500 employees, of whom there are already known to have 'hotline to the press' via Jason Schreier; that Sony/ND as an organization would choose to damage-control it by crafting a fake message and demanding 400+ employees turn a blind eye to that matter, and expect that to never ever get out - when they have been willing to - in the past- just do far simpler things?

Bleu

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
User Banned (1 week): Inflammatory point of comparison
They are coming with the Jussie Smollet people, the johnny Deep people and the biden sexually harassed a 14 years old people.
should be any-time soon.
/s

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
2 things:

how did Sony not learn from the 2013 hack and have a team of white hats looking for vulnerabilities.

we will most certainly never see the arrest or apprehension of these individuals publicly.

What does this have to do with PSN? this's about ND internal servers, no?

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hot dam now Sony is going to shut down game servers when quicker. /s

On a serious note I would never think how they hacked the footage was possible.

Didn't really delve into the other threads much. Why would anyone think Sony didn't pay someone when they publicly announced they were paying all their employees through at least April 30th last I remember?

What does this have to do with PSN? this's about ND internal servers, no?

Don't mind him. Notice the last line. He just wanted to hype MS a bit and find a negative angle to the story.

Last edited:

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
Well pretty clear cut that they had malicious intents. Makes me wonder if they are truly identified however if they managed to exploit this vulnerability, they might have the skills to cover their tracks (or they are just script kids leaving tracks everywhere).
Not just some witless buddy recording in a developers home etc.

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
2 things:

I don't think AWS is the issue here, more how ND are using it? The Tweeter mentions there are multiple other cases of a similar vein.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
For those of you interested in TLOU2 leaks and how it happened, here's your rundown I have no idea how many tweets this will be so buckle up

Every ND game has a "final" patch that is pushed to the game that contains an Amazon AWS key, that when paired with a secret bucket ID it will give full access to the server's contents. Theres a different key and bucket ID per game, this is important

This vulnerability was discovered recently and some hackers took full advantage of it, saving TLOU1, UC3, and other dev stuff. At the time, it was disclosed to me around early February, and was very early on so ~January 2020 it was discovered

Come March, keys and data was saved, somewhere around 1-3TB, though I can only say 1TB for sure. They were trying to dump TLOU1 in an effort to get that games key as UC3 had TLOU1 material, so surely TLOU1 had TLOU2? No idea in the end but come April things got spicy

In April all the leaks of story were validated by the footage posted. I cannot speak for the text posts with story, but I can say that the dates from discovery and disclosure match with timestamps in the footage as well. You can check yourself, bottom left of all footage

Come may 30th, late at night, the source that disclosed this to me stated that the key had changed so ND for sure knew how to resolve this issue, and no keys work with the bucket IDs now. This is good but theres more

The individual that spoke to me is a direct source of this compromise, but is NOT (as far as I am aware, or can tell) not the one that leaked this material. I say this because even they were weirdly skeptical about the "ND employee leaked things because they were mad"

I've been watching this for about 3 months now, and after speaking to a first hand source of this, my only conclusion is they (and their immediate circle) did not leak it, but shared information relating to what I described, and another party proceeded to leak such material

This is not the first time this has happened in circles like this either to boot. I trust their word as a first hand source of this happening, and I trust that theyre not dumb enough to leak it, but whether they leaked everything to get such is another story.

In regards to the devkit nonsense: yes you would need a devkit to do this and given that its relatively easy to get one (yes really, it is) this is not very much of a problem. I can say the circle for the vulnerability owns such hardware as well, I've seen the photos

What's the point I'm making? The point: there's plenty of room to argue an ND employee is involved, but from the evidence (which I have submitted to ND back in February) stands to point to an ND-made security vulnerability that was exploited. Not an angry employee

While I will not give names, I will say this: I've been around, I know leaks, I listen, I watch, I keep tabs on things. I've known about this for months and kept quiet publicly but since it's blocked out now and news coverage confirmed what I've known I decided to say so publicly

I have no affiliation with the group, I have no materials from the leak, and I'm not going to. I had my ass bitten once and I dont need a second round of it, but putting the truth out there is important, because even then you'll still have people saying it was an ND employee

Don't believe what sounds like the juiciest story, even if it's what you wanna hear. Sometimes it's really that boring. Hackerman exploiting a vulnerability created by the company's own games to gain internal access. Hopefully this has been enlightening for you

Summary of the tweets for people who don't wanna read the main thread in fear of spoilers.

finally

Jul 22, 2019
I know a gaming forum where everyone who say there isn't conspiracy theory gets attacked and basically everyone believe the reddit leak is true and sony is hiding the truth.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Much better explanation here

For those who want safe way to read this twitter thread:
ndtweet8tj3n.png