• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Steamy Manatee

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 18, 2022
I can see why this is newsworthy but I can also see why he could come in, fix things then leave. Especially when his role at Xbox Publishing probably pays more

RdN

Oct 31, 2017
I've always been under the impression that it was a temporary and emergencial position, really.

He made sure the game shipped (for better or worse), made the plans for the future and now goes back to the job the liked.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
time to see if 343 has changed for the better and move halo in an upward direction or cont the downward direction its been heading

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Even if Staten's role was intended to be temporary, seems like something you could save for after the launch of Season 3 in about a month rather than on the day of people losing their jobs.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The game itself shows very little future outside of gimmick community maps honestly. The developer still has potential. Time to do something else.

I mean this is the third fps halo in a row where the opinions I've seen are resoundingly meh (I only played 4 and basically checked out then and there). But I heard the strategy games were decent. Maybe they have potential, but it doesn't appear that it lies in original halo fps content.

Kyussons

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It wont surprise me if MS plan is to close down 343 mid term. The way the studio operated, with an under staffed internal dev team, with a ton of contractors doing the heavy lifting under an inept management has been a trainweck for many years.

m23

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, he was one of the main reasons I was at least a bit optimistic about the future of Halo. Just...wow.

Oct 28, 2017
I mean this is the third fps halo in a row where the opinions I've seen are resoundingly meh (I only played 4 and basically checked out then and there). But I heard the strategy games were decent. Maybe they have potential, but it doesn't appear that it lies in original halo fps content.
That's pretty much where I stand. Time to see what else they can do within the Halo universe that held back by the Halo trilogy formula. Those strategy games weren't them.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty devastating news. I'm back to not having much hope for Halo in the short term, as much as it pains me to say.

It wont surprise me if MS plan is to close down 343 mid term. The way the studio operated, with an under staffed internal dev team working with a ton of contractors doing the heavy lifting under an inept management has been a trainweck for many years.

I don't think they would close it down, Halo is a mainstay franchise. But it's becoming very clear that it's not working, I expect the studio to go through significant changes.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
No confidence in the future of 343 and Infinite if they were hit hard by the layoffs and Staten is leaving.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Looking bad for 343 feels like they couldn't really deliver what MS was expecting from them despite unlimited resources and time.

Halo Infinite is in a great spot so it's the right time to leave.
It is ? Thought player numbers are quite down and people here are complaining all the time about the game.

Maybe it's just era.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
It wont surprise me if MS plan is to close down 343 mid term. The way the studio operated, with an under staffed internal dev team, with a ton of contractors doing the heavy lifting under an inept management has been a trainweck for many years.
i dont think they will close it down. but its def going to be going through some major changes and will be awhile before we see the next halo

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What sold better Halo Infinite or Halo Wars 2?

Deleted member 119070

Account closed at user request
Banned
Jun 19, 2022
User banned (1 week); Platform war rhetoric, multiple prior bans for similar
The Halo franchise is dead Micro, just accept it. The MCC was nice to have all Halo together in a pack but it's time to move on.

n0one

Jan 3, 2023
RIP to Halo Infinite campaign DLC. Sounds like 343i will be focused on MP for a while.

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
XGP with Staten wasn't great.
Halo Infinite is still garbage a year after launch.

Doesn't seem this move will change anything for either division.

RoboitoAM

Oct 25, 2017
Looking bad for 343 feels like they couldn't really deliver what MS was expecting from them despite unlimited resources and time.

It is ? Thought player numbers are quite down and people here are complaining all the time about the game.

Maybe it's just era.
It isn't just ERA

Infinite is hardly ahead of MCC player count on Steam, and I assume the same for Xbox. Microsoft has dropped the ball on Gears and Halo so hard that it's laughable.

Thank goodness for them that they still have Forza

Oct 26, 2017
Appreciate the work he did for Infinite, albeit behind the scenes. 343i struggled with having a unified vision before he cleaned things up, so hopefully 2023 will be a better year for Halo

Pez

Oct 28, 2017
Damn, scuttle the ship.

It's dead, Jim. It's dead.

The legacy this studio is going to end up having...

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
Under his watch, 343 went from being a dumpster fire to a well-maintained dumpster. Makes sense now that the dumpster has been stabilized.

Abrasion Test

Oct 27, 2017
Everyone's going to point at Halo Infinite's issues but the absolute miss that is the Halo Paramount+ show has to bring up questions about the studio's competency as a whole. If they can't get the game right or the multimedia expansions then something needs to change.