• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Just about everyone in this thread needs to realize the concepts they are advocating for and against aren't always mutually exclusive.

It's not elitist to want new software that is only possible on new hardware, MGS2 having to run on a PS1 would've been very different.

It's not anti consumer to have software that only runs on a new platform.

It's also not impossible to create incredible games that can scale across a variety of hardware profiles, Breath of the Wild runs on the Wii U and the Switch and is still the Switch's best video game.

It's not bad for a platform holder to want to build an ecosystem where for years their software output is playable on all systems new and old, this benefits many people.

It's not bad for a platform holder to want to build exclusive software that is only possible on new hardware, this benefits many people.

Most of the time, graphics are the easiest aspect to scale across devices, you can see this with the way the Switch runs games many people think should be impossible or the way games scale up for the XBox One X. Other aspects might not scale as well, like if you build an aspect of your game around storage read speed or memory availability or the CPU then you might have to make serious changes to make it scale across devices. Even in that scenario it might still be possible with enough time and resources, or it might not! Games are COMPLICATED.

There's no one size fits all answer that will please every player in every scenario, and there's no one size fits all answer to every game's ambition, creative pursuits are about constantly making choices that have consequences, and that's before we get into problems being technically solvable vs problems being feasibly solveable due to experience, money, time, or a million other factors.
Thank you.

100 million+ PS4 players will have TLOU II, FF VII, Ghost of Tsushima at the final year of the console lol

And if we count third party...
Just like how Sony supported the PS3 the exact same year the PS4 launched. The last 2 years before the PS4.

Where's the alienating?

If anything it's history repeating itself.

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
Personally, I think the fact that studios release films only on DVD/Blu-Ray is outrageous and anti-consumer. Where the fuck is my VHS support?

So where does it end? Why is MS not also making Halo Infinite for the 360, would be so pro consumer and help those poor kids still stuck with a 360.
Good call. Besides, it's all scalable, and there isn't anything that can't be done on 360.

Exclusive launch games to go with new hardware are now "anti-consumer" according to some.

I feel we are close to some new legendary copypasta.
When "it's anti-consumer!" is the best argument you can trot out against a platform holder supporting new hardware with exclusives, it might be time to reevaluate your position.

Ostinatto

Oct 30, 2017
So the Xbox Series X is gonna be a Next gen console with no Next gen titles the first couple of years? i dont like this at all.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
This is some bulletproof logic right here, install base does not decide what exclusives sell most, not all exclusives are created equal. Besides gamepass will eat up some of Xbox game sales.
Game Pass or not, the install base decides how many that can play the game, it'll be interesting to watch these two strategies out in the wild.

XB1 + XSX + PC MS Store and Steam + xCloud
vs
PS5

Oct 28, 2017
Reminds me of this used game ad Sony did.
5zFf032.gif

I can see Sony doing another like "Here's PS5. It has actual games made just for it. Not your phone ".

Or something like that.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
im guessing Guerrilla will have a launch game, probably Horizon 2

I'd wager Insomniac has a launch game as well, but not spider-man 2, probably something new

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Its what sony does. I expect them to have cross gen games like usual but of course they have a few ps5 only titles too. Ms having literally zero is the real new thing around here.

My question is of itll hurt ps5s early years. We saw with ps3 that sony fired on all cylinders to push exclusive games in 2012 and 2013 even if we had to wait longer this gen for the teams to come back around

Skeeter49

I wish Jim Ryan would eat me
Oct 25, 2017
What's the betting front and centre will be enhanced TLOU2 and GoT?
And what's the betting they'll still be beloved games?

Fairly high, I'd have thought.
TLOU2 will probably have a PS5 patch like with how the Pro patches worked, with a remastered edition releasing at launch for hte people who didn't buy it on PS4.

GoT, I don't think there'll be an upgrade until 2021.

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
It's interesting seeing people say being cross gen means better sales for 1st party games but I see botw releasing on launch and doing damn well better than most games.

sure it's cross gen with wii u but the ratio of sales between it and the switch are miles apart that it doesn't even matter.

It's not about the amount of player base that attracts people. It's the games themselves. That goes for both ways on MS and Sony strategy. It could or could not work but everything is dependent on the games.

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
Excellent. BC means I'll probably jump into next gen a lot sooner, can't wait to see what they're cooking for it.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
squeezethrough.gif

If your game doesn't have a dozen of these because it's now designed for a hardware that can handle asset loading at a much faster rate, it's not gonna be so easy to just add these to your last gen versions.

Powerful hardware affects more than just FPS/texture quality.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What do people want, great games or shiny games. Ideally both but would it really burn your soul if they weren't full on next gen exclusive shiny but actually just really good?

Microsoft are trying to release a new exclusive game every month right, maybe along with being front loaded for launch and you expect every single game to be next gen exclusive just because in the first year leaving Xbox One users in the dust, it makes no sense unless you some AAA behemoth title which they do have in the pipeline for year 2 onwards. People are pissing about a launch year that history shows is a shit show more or less most of the time that relies on 3rd party and break out hit once in a blue moon and funnily enough Microsoft are better than Sony in launch year content usually but that's not saying much.

Microsoft are releasing a variety of new games throughout the year every year allegedly, thank god. People should be ecstatic at that if the quality comes through, not that it has next gen whistles. We want great games, not shiny hollow ones. Microsoft will make them shiny because they can and the exclusive next gen games will come after 1 year like is usually the case and we can enjoy Fable, Spider-Man 2 etc. then and laugh at how stupid this discussion really is.

Ghost Slayer

Oct 30, 2017
Something that people don't realize is how the game design changes when you have access to a better hardware.

If you get rid of all of your "squeeze through this place so we can load more assets" parts of your game (looking at you Jedi Fallen Order) and go for a much more open/bigger levels and world, it's gonna be tough to downscale that to X1s. (same with enemy count, AI behavior, etc)
Yakuza games probably showing with this a lot (for better or worse). World interaction and combat system changed entirely with Dragon engine that designed exclusively for this gen

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
Ok, but now think of little Timmy. Little Timmy doesn't have 7 years of games on the PS4 to play.

HE WANTS to play the NEWEST games for the console he just bought used for $100.

Do NOT fuck over little Timmy.

BUT...LITTLE TIMMY get's bullied at school about the console he has, it not being what all the other kids have.....he get's angry......THEN MOTIVATED.....STARTS WORKING OUT , PUMPING IRON LIKE ARNOLD........

.....THEN YEARS LATER WALK INTO THE SCHOOL FOR HIS REUNION LOOKING LIKE...

xbox-phil-rocket.jpg

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
Game Pass or not, the install base decides how many that can play the game, it'll be interesting to watch these two strategies out in the wild.

vs
PS5
Halo infinite will easily get 20+ million players if it's good as I think it will be with so many different avenues to play the game. It's gonna be huge.

Oct 31, 2017
Microsoft's strategy is pro-consumer.

Microsoft's strategy only lasts for 1-2 years.

Oh no, Microsoft will become anti-consumer in 1-2 years!

I've come to the conclusion that some are just parroting what the Corporate PR suits say.

MS is more than welcome to just support the Xbox One until the Heat Death of the universe, that way you never need to buy anything else for the rest of your life. Then they'll truly be pro-consumer. =P

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So the Xbox Series X is gonna be a Next gen console with no Next gen titles the first couple of years? i dont like this at all.
It will have "next gen" titles. Those titles will also be downscaled to run on Xbox One for the first year. This doesn't mean XSX first party games will be up ports of Xbox One games. No one knows exactly how it'll shake out but I bet it will be a complete non issue.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Yakuza games probably showing with this a lot (for better or worse). World interaction and combat system changed entirely with Dragon engine that designed exclusively for this gen
Yes this is a great example.

Comparing Yakuza 0 and Dragon Engine games should make it very apparent how much the entire design of a game could changes based on how powerful the hardware is.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
remember gran turismo 6

people want to move to next gen

I don't get this comment. Microsoft will also have Forza 8 and will also push the new hardware. So I guess the difference is because it might be on Xbox One as well all of the sudden the game is not as good because we think it's being held back without actaully playing it first? There might only be GT6 during the whole PS5 and Microsoft might have Forza 9 out during the Series X.

How many years into the PS5 do we all of the sudden realize the hardware is holding back the games? We never did see games like Driveclub come out with 60fps did we?

5zFf032.gif

I can see Sony doing another like "Here's PS5. It has actual games made just for it. Not your phone ".

Or something like that.

Of course they will, Sony are marketing genuises. They will show off a bunch of PS5 games and you will go crazy and then you will wait for those games because they won't be ready for launch and likely at least a year out.

Oct 31, 2017
Just like they alienated the 80+ million players on PS3, look how that worked out for the PS4.

Or how Nintendo left all the Wii U owners behind, and now they're just doing.... better than ever.
Savage 😂

Yea I think people are throwing the word "anti-consumer" a little too much in this thread when it has no place here. Neither company is being anti-consumer. Sony is doing what every console manufacturer has done for decades now and MS is trying something new. I don't particularly like MS' approach but I can understand their reasons for going the way they did, seeing as it works better for their Service approach to gaming. There is nothing anti-consumer about making exclusive next gen games that are designed to take advantage of new hardware even if said games aren't perfect.

At the end of the day I personally need a reason to drop $500 on a new console, and that reason has traditionally meant a series of games that I'm buying on the new console that can't be played on my previous console. I also like playing games at launch that are specifically designed to take advantage of my new hardware in the best way possible. For some others their reason may be different for buying a console but no one is right or wrong for having what they prefer, and neither MS nor Sony are right or wrong for picking their chosen business plan.

Skeeter49

Oct 25, 2017
im guessing Guerrilla will have a launch game, probably Horizon 2

I'd wager Insomniac has a launch game as well, but not spider-man 2, probably something new
Imo Horizon 2 will either be launch window or delayed until September 2021 if it needs that extra time.

Insomniac will probably have the next Ratchet game. If there's been one in development since the first Ratchet came out, it should be pretty content complete, and I'd assume given a lot bigger of a budget now that Insomniac is part of WWS, and given that Ratchet PS4 was the best selling Ratchet game, meaning this is their chance to go bigger and better and really grow the IP.

Deleted member 29249

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
It's like clock work, if MS kills it next gen they will start pulling bullshit moves while Sony will start doing awesome stuff.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Sony: Here are the games that are meant to sell our next generation of console
Some era members: But.. but this is ANTI CONSUMERISM
Sony: We will support PS4 for a period of time after launching PS5 just like we did with previous generations.
Some era members: Damn right... I fucking knew next gen games are nothing more than a prettier version of current gen games. Sony will never leave 100 million users behind
Data from Sony: Early hardcore adopters tend to spend the most money on software over the course of the console's life span. I.E. not all customers are made equal.
Some era members:
Third parties: Don't worry 140+ million current gen userbase, we'll provide your with cross gen titles over the next year and beyond
Some era members: #Blessed third parties. See! next gen games are absolutely doable on current gen systems after "scaling it down"

Like this is some alternate reality bubble.

Also, given Sony has not exclusively said what titles will be next gen only (although we can all hazard a guess), the current gen tail end exclusives like Ghost of Tsushima and TLoU Pt 2 may very well see a next gen rendition akin to Uncharted collection and TLoU Remastered.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
How is supporting your new console anti consumer? I mean I can understand if PS4 support dried up early but it didn't this might be its strongest year yet.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
I haven't been this excited for PS5 games since I watched the logo reveal with my wife and daughter.

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
You're saying the same thing because we don't know what PS5 is going to launch with and how making PS5 only makes them better games. Are you going to also ignore every game that is cross gen like MLB and the upcoming Assassins Creed?

I'm not saying the same thing, at all. We're in a thread with quotes by Schreier confirming that the PS5 will have exclusive titles at launch, which is a strategy different from their competition and something that I'm personally on board with. I'm not here to argue the subjective quality of said games. I just expect my next gen consoles to have games developed for them without consideration for 2013 hardware. And I've not said cross gen games are inherently bad, they are just not what I'm going to buy my next gen console, day 1, for.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
Its what sony does. I expect them to have cross gen games like usual but of course they have a few ps5 only titles too. Ms having literally zero is the real new thing around here.

My question is of itll hurt ps5s early years. We saw with ps3 that sony fired on all cylinders to push exclusive games in 2012 and 2013 even if we had to wait longer this gen for the teams to come back around

It won't be as bad as it was going from PS3 to PS4. They literally had to remake tool sets, and all that for PS4. I mean it wasn't like documentation was hard, just that any engine work they had unfortunate a lot had to be redone, and specialized tools had the be remade for use on PS4 dev kits.

Which is why it took so long for some of the titles. Not the same situation according to a couple of developers. Like everything was able to be brought over with minimal effort, and they were able to hit the ground running.

Which is why they took time off from trade shows. They want to have a lot in the can before they start showing stuff. People are going to be surprised with Sony's launch lineup.

Oct 31, 2017

vs
PS5

I don't think I have to worry with most Sony games carrying robust single-player campaigns, not to mention PS4 exclusives have sold better, leading to more people I can play with for games like Uncharted or Dreams despite being on fewer platforms.

But why are we excluding the PC? 3rd party games will be on PC as well.

Have any of you guys played games close to launch or anything? It's not exactly a ghost town.

Luckett_X

Oct 25, 2017
Leeds, UK
Is this "PS5 exclusives are anti-consumer!" garbo because thats what tarred Microsoft for seemingly the entire generation with their insane used game/always online gambit, and we're just bearing witness to weird ass console war revenge nonsense? That'd be my best guess.

I'm glad Sony and MS didn't do exclusives for their half-step consoles though, like what Nintendo has tended to do with portable upgrades. That's genuine bullshit.

kpaadet

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

vs
PS5
There are plenty of 3rd party publishers that have access to all the platforms in the world yet get outsold by exclusives on "small" platforms. It's a moot point in the end as MS doesn't public share sales numbers anyway.

Linkeds2

Nov 15, 2017
North Bay, CA
I wouldn't say so much that it's anti consumer but it is arguably anti-developer.
AFAIK most 3rd parties have always released cross gen games at the start of a new gen. Why? ROI. release a game for a 100million+ user base + scale up for next gen makes a dev more money.
As opposed to
Making a next gen game for a day one user base who'll maybe get up to 10 million users in the first year.
I think the difference this gen is since we've gone from in-house hardware to X86 architecture, devs can now develop for next gen hardware and scale back for slower platforms

Last edited:

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
5zFf032.gif

Or something like that.

The difference there is it'd ultimately be Sony treating the customer like an idiot, not - as in the scenario above, MS. Saying the game is 'made for your phone' when it's cloud-based, and Sony have their own cloud strategy, would be myopic and insulting.

Skeeter49

Oct 25, 2017
How is supporting your new console anti consumer? I mean I can understand if PS4 support dried up early but it didn't this might be its strongest year yet.
Yeah. That's honestly why I think it worked so well for Sony with PS4. They supported PS3 up until the PS4 came out, and they'll do the same thign with PS4 to PS5. One of the mistakes imo MS made was that the last 360 year was barren, which I think really hurt when it came to people adapting to Xbox One.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The whole MS approach is wrong, i'm like "why even mention that?"
You buy a console for its games.
Selling a game to a base of 50 million + as opposed to 0 doesn't appear wrong at all. Those ready to unlock next gen goodness for said games can, and will experience that next gen moment with new consoles.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017

IMO it is arrogant and/or 'elitist' to expect your consumers to pay $500 for merely high res or RT-ed versions of games they could play on their old system.

It is NOT elitist for those consumers to hope for a cycle of development that will make more ambitious use of their new hardware without legacy constraints.

The promise of a new gen has always been about the latter. And now we're to feel bad to hope for that, apparently.

And yes, as you've said, I think most PS4 owners are probably very happy with how Sony's handled the system, and would be hoping for the same intensity of focus on PS5.