• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
IMO it is arrogant and/or 'elitist' to expect your consumers to pay $500 for merely high res or RT-ed versions of games they could play on their old system.

It is NOT elitist for those consumers to hope for a cycle of development that will make more ambitious use of their new hardware without legacy constraints.

The promise of a new gen has always been about the latter. And now we're to feel bad to hope for that, apparently.

And yes, as you've said, I think most PS4 owners are probably very happy with how Sony's handled the system, and would be hoping for the same intensity of focus on PS5.
Well said.

Jan 21, 2019
Are we genuinely thinking that PS5 games will have no single loading screen ever, no matter what you do in-game?
Well I expect early next gen ps5 exclusives to have a 1 second fade to black or something. As the gen continues, the loading might increase, or not since engines will be more optimized to use the SSD more properly. Who knows, whatever it will be I'm happy for every second shaved off.

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
Honestly I like that Microsoft and Sony are approaching next gen differently. Gives me options.
Are we genuinely thinking that PS5 games will have no single loading screen ever, no matter what you do in-game?
Am I crazy or was this never actually a thing? I swear I remember it being a short lived rumor because we have proof Sony demonstrated Spider-Man load time improvements on PS5. I mean it was negligible sure, but if a PS4 game has been shown to still have load times then PS5 games absolutely will.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
Well I expect early next gen ps5 exclusives to have a 1 second fade to black or something. As the gen continues, the loading might increase, or not since engines will be more optimized to use the SSD more properly. Who knows, whatever it will be I'm happy for every second shaved off.

If there is a loading screen of some kind, your going to see it for like a second.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
Well yeah, but that person said launch. I'd say that makes the last time exclusives were the best launch games was Wii U?

Year 1, yeah Switch definitely is the answer here.

Yea, im not just talking like release day of the console, Im talking within the first couple months. Have to remember it doesn't release on same day for all countries.

So I try to give 3-4 month as in"Launch". Thats just me though.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Not at launch though. Which means maybe few months later or even a year.
Yes they can? How exactly are backwards compatibility, 3rd party cross-gen games and 1st party next-gen only games incompatible?
PS4 (and maybe some of the previous generations as well) games will run on PS5 with EA, Activision, Ubisoft, 2K etc. releasing cross-gen PS4/XB1/PS5/XSX games for the first 1-2 years while Sony will release PS5-only games immediately..

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cause... really, im fine with you guys wanting Launch games to be focused on the new hardware... but when was the last time the Launch lineup of exclusives turned out to be the best of the crop?

It's about best at the time. Ryse and Forza 5 was the best at that time. You get the sense that those games were intended to be played on Xbox One.

Dec 31, 2017
So if Halo Infinite and next gen Forza look as good or better than what Sony has at launch for PS5, but they are also available on Xbox One, what will be the consensus. Because if that's the case, it means PS5 exclusives will be exclusive just for the sake of it.

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
Isn't this just a fancy loading screen? What here wasn't possible downscaled to a weaker console?
It is. The whole thing is unnecessary if you only work with next gen in mind. You have to have it for current gen console to stream assets which is the problem. Next gen is bogged down by current gen limits.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Am I crazy or was this never actually a thing? I swear I remember it being a short lived rumor because we have proof Sony demonstrated Spider-Man load time improvements on PS5. I mean it was negligible sure, but if a PS4 game has been shown to still have load times then PS5 games absolutely will.

I don't really know where people stand now days with that. I just know people have been running super wild with that PS5 "magic sauce" SSD stuff. Seen even claims that it will make PC SSDs and M.2s look pathetic.

Without data to back it up.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Around 29:04.
I thought this was relevant now with MS outing their different approach.

More tidbits:
+Jason wants to do (later) raport on PS5 line up
+most third party stuff should be cross gen (AssCreed etc)
+MS is going for "titles on as many devices as possible" approach
Great news. Fuck this trend MS wants to make. Im willing to pay up to $700 for a top console that will give me graphics and gameplay I couldn't experience this generation on console, I want what I pay for.

People were feeling pretty outraged in that other thread because this behavior of Sony was being twisted to say it's "anti-consumer"... I don't even know what to say about that thread...
Anyways, Im glad Sony is sticking to common sense and doing what has always been done. Making graphics that wont be held back by the trash Jaguar CPUs that has been the bottleneck day 1 this generation.

Puffy

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Wow 15 pages and we're still in the misinformation phase. This is gonna be a long thread

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
It is. The whole thing is unnecessary if you only work with next gen in mind. You have to have it for current gen console to stream assets which is the problem. Next gen is bogged down by current gen limits.
What's to stop MS from having something like this for Xbox One games and simply having a door open to the next loaded environment for the Xbox Series X?

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
I think this is the right strategy. Multiplatform games are always there, but exclusive games drive console sales. Plus, games made specifically for a noticeably more powerful machine can give us that wow factor.

Brix

Oct 25, 2017
Of course PS5 launch will have true next gen exclusives. Sony knows what the core game player wants. Game of the year contenders.

Mosse

Oct 25, 2017
I think being able to play games on more platforms is a good thing as long as it doesn't make it more difficult for the developers, so I'm fine with Microsoft's approach.

But the whole idea that it's anti consumerism to release a next gen only game is just stupid. Since when are we entitled to be able to play every game everywhere? There's many reasons for a developer to just develop for next gen, be it doing things with gameplay that only can be done thanks to the better cpu or ssd, or saving development time because they don't have to work around old tech limitations. Having to have more systems in mind for a release will always be more of a hassle then just targeting one platform.

If you prefer one approach more then the other, fine. Others might not, so stop being a dick about it.

Between threads like this and the last few weeks of passive aggressive bullshit in the next-gen thread. I think I need a break from this forum. How hard can it be to discuss different consoles and strategies without picking sides and behave like entitled little kids?

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
PS4 isn't going away. It will still get support, but PS5 will have exclusives at launch that will attract buyers to upgrade, vs. just being another "refresh" for a year.

Of course PS4 isn't going away. Atlus still has to release Persona 6 in 2024 for PS4 and PS5. For the most part most support will disappear after year one, but things like that will happen down the line so it'll continue selling.

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So if Halo Infinite and next gen Forza look as good or better than what Sony has at launch for PS5, but they are also available on Xbox One, what will be the consensus. Because if that's the case, it means PS5 exclusives will be exclusive just for the sake of it.

Death Stranding has won the best graphics and placed higher from Digital Foundry, NX gamer, gameranx than Gears 5 despite being a PS exclusive on a less powerful system.

Safe to say Sony's engine carried to next gen will look better than ever, especially without the constraint of PS4.

MattAces

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Malaysia
Yes. While they're at it, please make sure there's no psvr1 forced compatible too. Leave the past behind and fully utilise ps5 with Psvr2.

That's how you make a next gen.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017

Well, no, it would mean Sony want to make exclusive software drive hardware sales, and get people to adopt PS5 more quickly as a result.

Your logic doesn't really make sense, although I do agree that people are being kinda stupid about this whole thing. There will be Xbox One Series X games that blow minds at launch, the fear mongering is just weird.

JustP_Gaming

Jan 5, 2018
Butwhy.gif

I'm not buying a Series X to play games that are hold back by HDD limitations and an ancient Jaguar CPU.

Show me what that baby can do.
When they demonstrate the capabilities In a few months the things you thought you know about what these systems can do will be crystal clear. This held back thing is insane, especially if you know anything about PC development.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Post of the thread

IMO it is arrogant and/or 'elitist' to expect your consumers to pay $500 for merely high res or RT-ed versions of games they could play on their old system.

It is NOT elitist for those consumers to hope for a cycle of development that will make more ambitious use of their new hardware without legacy constraints.

The promise of a new gen has always been about the latter. And now we're to feel bad to hope for that, apparently.

And yes, as you've said, I think most PS4 owners are probably very happy with how Sony's handled the system, and would be hoping for the same intensity of focus on PS5.

giphy.gif

Jan 21, 2019
If there is a loading screen of some kind, your going to see it for like a second.
To be honest, I can absolutely see some games going for a 1 second fade to black because the actual loading screen might be too fast an jarring.

There is a level in Control with 2 teleportation points very close to each other and when used, the character just plops where you clicked. In the blink of an eye she is standing somewhere else. It's so weird that it caught me off guard and I had to share it with friends.

Oct 28, 2017
Great news. Fuck this trend MS wants to make. Im willing to pay up to $700 for a top console that will give me graphics and gameplay I couldn't experience this generation on console, I want what I pay for.

People were feeling pretty outraged in that other thread because this behavior of Sony was being twisted to say it's "anti-consumer"... I don't even know what to say about that thread...
Anyways, Im glad Sony is sticking to common sense and doing what has always been done. Making graphics that wont be held back by the trash Jaguar CPUs that has been the bottleneck day 1 this generation.
Preach brother!

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
Yes. While they're at it, please make sure there's no psvr1 forced compatible too. Leave the past behind and fully utilise ps5 with Psvr2.

That's how you make a next gen.

PSVR was already confirmed forward compatible. I'm sure there will be a break but it won't be for a couple years until when the new headset comes out.

And hey, that's fine. As I don't own a Pro I'm looking forward to the increased res and such the PS5 will bring to my v1 headset.

Jun 23, 2019
Sony is a hardware company and MS is a software company.

Is it shocking to see their respective strategies? Sony trying to sell more PS5 hardware by putting their games only there.

MS trying to sell more software by putting putting their games everywhere until the Series X install base grows.

News at 11.

This makes no sense when Sony just sold 1.1 billion units of software and made record profits off of their digital sales and services?

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
Why not be more pro-consumer and make it last 3-4 years?
What I wrote earlier. Think of it as a nice gradual transition into next gen that MS is providing for their users. Not a complete cutoff. Most games bought at launch are third party cross gen titles anyway (which I really don't hear complaints about) but imagine if third parties decided to follow what some want here and develop next gen only titles once the new consoles launch. It would be kind of stupid to be quite honest.