• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
So you're basically saying you want to keep playing old shit because that runs smoother on overpowered hardware?
What's wrong with that? Some of these current gen games could garner new life on new consoles if they take advantage of the upgrade. Most of these old games being able to maintain a 60fps is more than enough for me to want to revisit them.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I really hope 3rd parties will push only Next-Gen and are not forced in some way to develop for Xbox One or PS4...

Nobody is forcing third party lol. Third party mostly cares about sales. And leaving a 150m install base behind right away for a 1 or 2 million install base isnt viable for them.
Thats why you see third party cross gen games from third party well into the console cycle. Nobody is forcing them or technically money and stakeholders are. But not the console makers.

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I'm ok either way. I think this approach will shift more hardware, but Sony's brand is strong enough to shift hardware anyway. There are people in this very thread who are claiming to be day one buyers of the new console regardless of price/specs/launch games etc which pays testament to Sony's amazing gaming brand.

Microsofts approach works better for them because those that have paid for several years of gamepass won't have to invest in new hardware to secure the benefits of new games on the service.

Games like Titanfall looked great on the Xbox one despite having a version on the 360 so I don't think we'll see a massive drop in quality like some are predicting.

Bioshocker

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
You see... firstly they said Two Years.

Secondly. I don't trust them. Because

1)They push Xcloud. This is based on 2013 Xbox One HW.
2)They say Xcloud will "eventually" become Lockhart based. So... do you think they spent 4 years making it Xbox One based, only to rip it all out and make it Lockhart based? (lol)
3) MS's apprach is purely for Gamepass reasons, to keep churning out games made once, then thrown on there and it will be supported by the garbage 1TF GPU/Jaguar CPUs.
4)They will always play a fake anti-consumer card, even two years from now, they will say its anti consumer to leave anyone behind, lets keep doing it.
5)Over and above everything, Lockhart is still garbage out the gate (according to Jason Schreier's sources, who cant even get beyond PS4 Pro power out of it)
Lockhart will hold back next gen too.

All in all, I am smart enough to not trust MS on this. Just like how Day 1 when news broke of always online, I didn't entertain that dumb idea either.

PS: And remember guys, Don Matrrick was head of Xbox, bit Phil was head of Xbox Game Studios, he isn't some new recruit they got to turn things around, he was part of the decision making process. Same for all the lies spewed about how great ESRAM is (ONLY to remove it with Xbox One X) and even a part of the decision to release official statements saying they cant patch out the use of Kinect with Xbox Ome, because it was designed around it to stay plugged in 24/7, along with always online.

So with MS's recent approach? I still don't trust them with the future of the industry at large.

Microsoft is a company. They want to make money. Just like Sony. And Nintendo. You shouldn't "trust" any corporation.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You see... firstly they said Two Years.

Secondly. I don't trust them. Because

1)They push Xcloud. This is based on 2013 Xbox One HW.
2)They say Xcloud will "eventually" become Lockhart based. So... do you think they spent 4 years making it Xbox One based, only to rip it all out and make it Lockhart based? (lol)
3) MS's apprach is purely for Gamepass reasons, to keep churning out games made once, then thrown on there and it will be supported by the garbage 1TF GPU/Jaguar CPUs.
4)They will always play a fake anti-consumer card, even two years from now, they will say its anti consumer to leave anyone behind, lets keep doing it.
5)Over and above everything, Lockhart is still garbage out the gate (according to Jason Schreier's sources, who cant even get beyond PS4 Pro power out of it)
Lockhart will hold back next gen too.

All in all, I am smart enough to not trust MS on this. Just like how Day 1 when news broke of always online, I didn't entertain that dumb idea either.

PS: And remember guys, Don Matrrick was head of Xbox, bit Phil was head of Xbox Game Studios, he isn't some new recruit they got to turn things around, he was part of the decision making process. Same for all the lies spewed about how great ESRAM is (ONLY to remove it with Xbox One X) and even a part of the decision to release official statements saying they cant patch out the use of Kinect with Xbox Ome, because it was designed around it to stay plugged in 24/7, along with always online.

So with MS's recent approach? I still don't trust them with the future of the industry at large.

Firstly, they said "one or two years" from November last year. That's a maximum of 1 year after launch.

And their current investment in xCloud server-side XB1 hardware is minimal in the beta phase to test out the streaming infrastructure. Behind the scenes they are absolutely ramping up next gen motherboards into their Azure datacentres.

This whole thing of you not trusting them to take advantage of the hardware they've spent millions developing is absurd.

Lua

Aug 9, 2018
lol, people are seriously saying things like "Oh, so you have to buy a PS5 or you don't get to play this new game :/" on Twitter like it's something new? :D
This happens every new gen. Not everyone has disposable income for consoles so they get sad when the titles won't be cross-generational, which is pretty normal.

CypressFX

Banned
Feb 25, 2019
Nobody is forcing third party lol. Third party mostly cares about sales. And leaving a 150m install base behind right away for a 1 or 2 million install base isnt viable for them.
Thats why you see third party cross gen games from third party well into the console cycle. Nobody is forcing them or technically money and stakeholders are. But not the console makers.
Yes, you are right, but what I meant is, when Next-Gen consoles launches, its obvious that 3rd Party will continue support for the Last Gen (in this case PS4 and X1), but in most cases the 2nd Generation of games is Next-Gen only besides Sports games.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
All the reactions here are funny when this gen people begged for cross gen to be over in 2014. I am guessing that reaction will kick in once next gen actually comes.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft is a company. They want to make money. Just like Sony. And Nintendo. You shouldn't "trust" any corporation.
I can trust Sony and Nintendo not to break the industry, because it's their bread and butter at this point. MS is the rich kid here, MS has a tendency of breaking everything with experimenting to find "the next big thing", great idea, business management books 101, but they're so care free and haphazard.

Remember when you could buy MS Office, then use it on a pc?
Now look at Office 365? Subscription based. MS will hike up prices tremendously for Gamepass if their idea catches on and they lead next gen. And if they had their way in 2013, you would probably be paying for games per a single profile on console today.
if MS gains number One market share next gen, if they dictate the way foward...
I know I personally didn't contribute to the games industry destruction next gen but whoever is ok with their ideas and blindly eats what they say today without wanting to figure out their angle and why they do what they do are part of what will be, if they succeed.

Funkallero

Oct 28, 2017
Tokyo
Let the 3rd party take care of the crossgen offering and showcase your new hardware with first party exclusive is what work best IMO.
But again I'm not MS and i'm kind of traditional.

It's probably all about gamepass, it doesn't make much sense to base everything on a subscription system then cut out content for 45 millions boxes.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
It will depends a lot on how MS will handle their Series X games, doesn't it?
How will they handle them differently than how third parties did this gen with their cross gen releases? We saw upgraded next gen versions for cross gen games like shadow of mordor, GTA V etc. People still wanted next gen only games already because those upgraded releases still looked last gen compared to next gen only games like assassins creed unity.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Firstly, they said "one or two years" from November last year. That's a maximum of 1 year after launch.

And their current investment in xCloud server-side XB1 hardware is minimal in the beta phase to test out the streaming infrastructure. Behind the scenes they are absolutely ramping up next gen motherboards into their Azure datacentres.

This whole thing of you not trusting them to take advantage of the hardware they've spent millions developing is absurd.
yeah, but I have provided valid reasons why I don't trust them on this.

Remember when they said Xbox One couldn't work without Kinect?

did you trust them then?

Remember when they said we were overreacting about Always online?

Remember when they said their DRM is the future?

Remember when they said MS Windows 8 is the greatest thing since sliced bread, and they fought tooth and nail to force it on us?

Remember, they went as far in 2013 to even hire 5 different crisis management companies to go on social media and forums to change our minds on always online and their DRM? (N4G, all major tech site comments sections, Gaming forums etc)

Sorry, I don't trust them and it would be SMART for every logical rational common sense having person to question what MS says, because they haven't earned my goodwill yet.

2PiR

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
That is dumb. Whats the point of having x86 architect if your games can't run on older platform?

How does it work on PC? how does it work on phones? everything is supported on every device. Thats how it should work. I thought having PC like architecture we will finally leave behind this bullshit generation logic and make games more flexible

kostacurtas

Oct 27, 2017
I could see some comments here not aging very well... february is coming.

Yep. I don't think it will take a lot of time before we have complaints about cross gen games. It happens every gen.

Just a reminder of how much different a next gen only game will be:

Open world and the scope was unbelievable. Never seen anything like it...far beyond Witcher/BOTW/HZD

Even so, close up details were beyond anything I have seen before

Ray Traced reflections....looks really impressive

Dynamic destructable environments...this game is just WTF

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

did you trust them then?

Remember when they said MS Windows 8 is the greatest thing since sliced bread, and they fought tooth and nail to force it on us?

Remember, they went as far in 2013 to even hire 5 different crisis management companies to go on social media and forums to change our minds on always online and their DRM.

Sorry, I don't trust them and it would be SMART for every logical rational common sense having person to question what MS says, because they haven't earned my goodwill yet.

I get that you don't trust them as a company because of stuff 7 years ago. Bit outdated, but fine. But I just can't follow your train of thought regarding the use of the word "trust" and them using their new hardware. It's just a connection I simply can't fathom.

Miopia

May 10, 2018
Some of you folks are expecting the second coming of jesus from the next gen, LOL. C'mon, guys, expect higher resolutions and framerate in the imense majority of the games, not much more than that. This "Jaguar will hold the games back" logic is crazy. Remedy's Control is a great example. It has very advanced physics and amazing ray traced visuals, and runs bad on consoles. I expect it to run on Series X and PS5 like it runs on any competent gaming PC.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Some of you folks are expecting the second coming of jesus from the next gen, LOL. C'mon, guys, expect higher resolutions and framerate in the imense majority of the games, not much more than that. This "Jaguar will hold the games back" logic is crazy. Remedy's Control is a great example. It has very advanced physics and amazing ray traced visuals, and runs bad on consoles. I expect it to run on Series X and PS5 like it runs on any competent gaming PC.
This post, Im going to bookmark it. So next year this time, awaiting E3 2021, I can reflect on it and smile :)
Then again, I may feel that way next month.
Im pretty sure Infamous Second Son and Killzone Shadowfall looked so damn beautiful in 2013, Im sure they couldn't run on measly 512MB of split ram on PS3.

Midnight

Jan 5, 2018
When people get excited about next gen consoles, they think about how games will evolve, and not just in the graphics department. I assume that's what people most look forward to, when a new console is released, how games can improve when made exclusively for new and improved hardware. From what I gather this time around, a new console feature like SSD for example can bring more to the table than just faster loading times and I'd think that by developing games for new and old hardware, it wouldn't be used to its fullest potential.

Still, I don't think there's anything wrong with Microsoft wanting to make their games cross gen as it's simply a different strategy, but saying or implying that Sony is "anti-consumer" because they want to make their future games exclusive to the PS5 is straight up nonsense. It has never been anti-consumer and never will be.

Podge293

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can trust Sony and Nintendo not to break the industry, because it's their bread and butter at this point. MS is the rich kid here, MS has a tendency of breaking everything with experimenting to find "the next big thing", great idea, business management books 101, but they're so care free and haphazard.

Now look at Office 365? Subscription based. MS will hike up prices tremendously for Gamepass if their idea catches on and they lead next gen. And if they had their way in 2013, you would probably be paying for games per a single profile on console today.
I know I personally didn't contribute to the games industry destruction next gen but whoever is ok with their ideas and blindly eats what they say today without wanting to figure out their angle and why they do what they do are part of what will be, if they succeed.

Hahaha what are you on about?

You sound insane.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America

Times like these, I am reminded of GameFaqs' and GameTrailers' forums.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

did you trust them then?

Remember, they went as far in 2013 to even hire 5 different crisis management companies to go on social media and forums to change our minds on always online and their DRM? (N4G, all major tech site comments sections, Gaming forums etc)

Those were all bullshit things from a Microsoft that looks nothing like it does today.
a new CEO
Open source contributing
A new Xbox team
A lot more first party studios
Publishing some games on Switch
Customer focused services and features (Game Pass, refunds, gifting, being able to buy games which are part of a subscription for cheaper)
Play Anywhere
Cross play
Keeping Minecraft everywhere
Backwards compatibility at no extra cost
XboxOne X with free X patches

None of this shit would have been done under the previous team.
Compare that to your points above and tell me they are bad things today

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
So you're basically saying you want to keep playing old shit because that runs smoother on overpowered hardware?
"Old shit"? Cross-gen games are rarely "old shit". Was GTAV "old shit"? MGSV is till one of my favorite games this generation. Forza Horizon 2 had a 360 version. Was it "old shit"? Because it's pretty similar to Forza Horizons 3 and 4 and I don't think most people would call those "old shit".

Usually they're built to "run" on the older hardware while meeting a higher standard of performance on the newer hardware. MGSV was one of the very few open world games to hit 60 on base current gen consoles. To me, that plays much better than most later-gen games that are built to hit 30.

Miopia

May 10, 2018
This post, Im going to bookmark it. So next year this time, awaiting E3 2021, I can reflect on it and smile :)
Then again, I may feel that way next month.
Im pretty sure Infamous Second Son and Killzone Shadowfall looked so damn beautiful in 2013, Im sure they couldn't run on measly 512MB of split ram on PS3.

Calm down, dude, i just expect that scalability will play a big hole on next gen. We're living on an age of Witcher 3 and Doom running on the Switch, you know?

Bitch Pudding

Oct 25, 2017

To be clear, that's an interpretation of what Booty said. He wasn't very specific here and might as well meant "First 1-2 years after launch".

I think they'll do another 180 as soon as preorders of the Series X aren't what they expected anyhow.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017

NEWS FLASH: The industry has been broken for more than a decade. That's not something that was solely cuz of MS.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
I already decided to purchase the PS5 from the get go due to the current PS4 library.

However Jason comment just further convinced me the PS5 is definitely the way to go if you wanna experience exclusive content

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
That is dumb. Whats the point of having x86 architect if your games can't run on older platform?

How does it work on PC? how does it work on phones? everything is supported on every device. Thats how it should work. I thought having PC like architecture we will finally leave behind this bullshit generation logic and make games more flexible

You can compare phones and PC to consoles .
A new consoles will be finally coming out after 7 years and specs are a huge jump .
Phones and PC get new hardware ever year so the base line goes up every year and after a while they leave the old behind .

Chances are half the stuff on phones today won't work good on 7 year old models .
Plus the CPU for current gen was already weak when they came out and now add 7 years to that so it more like a 10 year jump .

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Next Gen Exclusives = Anti Consumer,

Not sure when that became a thing, amazing how detractors to next gen exclusives, those that are contrary to the norm almost appeared out of thin air...

This wasn't even a thing until the Matt Booty thread.

Crazy right ?
The whole idea that next gen exclusives are anti consumer is just the new hivemind to defend whatever decision your preferred brand takes.
In the end there is nothing pro or anti consumer in both decisions : making or not next gen exclusives. They are both commercial decisions based on different strategies to bring/keep people to companies into their ecosystems.

DXB-KNIGHT

Oct 27, 2017
As most of my library are Nintendo games I like Microsoft strategy more.
If I decide to upgrade I don't lose my games and if I don't I'm not missing out.