• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
That is dumb. Whats the point of having x86 architect if your games can't run on older platform?

How does it work on PC? how does it work on phones? everything is supported on every device. Thats how it should work.

That's not how it works, at all, on PC or mobile. There's plenty of games that won't run on my X86 PC nor my old iPhone. A processor architecture doesn't make performance requirements go away.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Some of you folks are expecting the second coming of jesus from the next gen, LOL. C'mon, guys, expect higher resolutions and framerate in the imense majority of the games, not much more than that. This "Jaguar will hold the games back" logic is crazy. Remedy's Control is a great example. It has very advanced physics and amazing ray traced visuals, and runs bad on consoles. I expect it to run on Series X and PS5 like it runs on any competent gaming PC.

I mean a higher baseline makes a difference. It just means you have to strip more and more out to make it run on a weaker system. The difference in visuals between W3 on Switch and PS4 say is massive, but the difference is not as big an issue on the handheld, much bigger docked. I don't think something like Cyberpunk would run in any recognisable form on Switch though. I think from a game design perspective cross gen games are made with the base systems in mind and optimised and augmented for higher powered systems. It is obvious when you look at cross gen games like GTA V versus RDR2, or AC Black Flag vs AC Unity. I think AC Unity would need a lot of reworking to able to run on PS3 or Xbox 360 for instance. A low quality port would probably look worse than AC Black Flag on those systems because it is much more geometrically advanced than Black Flag. And then there is the lighting and texture systems and how much memory that needs to load

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
You see... firstly they said Two Years.

Secondly. I don't trust them. Because

1)They push Xcloud. This is based on 2013 Xbox One HW.
2)They say Xcloud will "eventually" become Lockhart based. So... do you think they spent 4 years making it Xbox One based, only to rip it all out and make it Lockhart based? (lol)
3) MS's apprach is purely for Gamepass reasons, to keep churning out games made once, then thrown on there and it will be supported by the garbage 1TF GPU/Jaguar CPUs.
4)They will always play a fake anti-consumer card, even two years from now, they will say its anti consumer to leave anyone behind, lets keep doing it.
5)Over and above everything, Lockhart is still garbage out the gate (according to Jason Schreier's sources, who cant even get beyond PS4 Pro power out of it)
Lockhart will hold back next gen too.

All in all, I am smart enough to not trust MS on this. Just like how Day 1 when news broke of always online, I didn't entertain that dumb idea either. (and I remember some on the old place defending those decisions tooth and nail the same way)

PS: And remember guys, Don Matrrick was head of Xbox, bit Phil was head of Xbox Game Studios, he isn't some new recruit they got to turn things around, he was part of the decision making process. Same for all the lies spewed about how great ESRAM is (ONLY to remove it with Xbox One X) and even a part of the decision to release official statements saying they cant patch out the use of Kinect with Xbox One, because it was designed around it to stay plugged in 24/7, along with always online.

So with MS's recent approach? I still don't trust them with the future of the industry at large.

Well you seem very angry with MS and that's your decision.

I prefer the sound of the way they are doing it with cross platform - ito me t's better than what Sony and 3rd parties will do which is release the big games of this year twice and make you pay full price both times

Klaphat

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
I find it amusing that people think that PS5 exclusive games will be a major step up in the beginning of next gen. Look at the beginning of this gen, it was all just eye candy because modern gaming development takes a long time and it's a slow progress. Even more so now where AAA games costs a lot to develop.

It's all just PR and fanboy talk, in reality the day one games will be forgetable or barely any better than games released on the old hardware. Just like it was this gen. Some of these fantasy scenarios with games doing things we have never seen before are just not coming day one.

We will have amazing games in 2020 and they will all be playable on next gen, with better loading times, resolution, fps, textures and other graphical details.

Then we will start over and the amazing games will come after a year or two when the devs have had time to make new games for the new consoles and everybody will forget about how lackluster the first year was.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Why does the ps4 sells more than the Xbox one being that Xbox one is cheaper than the ps4?
There is a huge difference between launch and later on. When all things are equal price becomes a larger role. Same with performance/value. People who suggest it's the games really mean it's to do with brand recognition with them because the launch window is hardly ever exciting as far as games go.

Once momentum kicks in it's hard to change mindshare and Sony has pretty much dominated when it comes to games later on. The Xbox One also sufffered from a lot of mistakes on their end with Kinect, performance and pricing so to get that mindshare back is difficult years into a generation.

The discussion isn't about the PC market though.
It should be part of the discussion since Microsoft doesn't care if you buy their games on it or use Game Pass on it.

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
I find it amusing that people think that PS5 exclusive games will be a major step up in the beginning of next gen. Look at the beginning of this gen, it was all just eye candy because modern gaming development takes a long time and it's a slow progress. Even more so now where AAA games costs a lot to develop.

It's all just PR and fanboy talk, in reality the day one games will be forgetable or barely any better than games released on the old hardware. Just like it was this gen. Some of these fantasy scenarios with games doing things we have never seen before are just not coming day one.

We will have amazing games in 2020 and they will all be playable on next gen, with better loading times, resolution, fps, textures and other graphical details.

Then we will start over and the amazing games will come after a year or two when the devs have had time to make new games for the new consoles and everybody will forget about how lackluster the first year was.
I'm not saying launch games will fully utilize next gen hardware but launch games being waved off as lackluster as if it's a given? Did people suddenly forget how good of launch the Switch had?

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Every Microsoft game in the works isn't bleeding edge AAAA behemoths so it doesn't make sense to limit those games to next gen. People realise this right?

I would say it's wise to take that approach so as many people as possible get the opportunity to play them.

Are you also aware devs can target what platforms they want, if BC is in full swing on Xbox and PlayStation, don't you think it's good that they can sell to PS4, Xbox One user bases while still being accessible on next gen?

I know this comes as a shock but Microsoft are making next gen only games, the comments in these threads are a bit off base. Do you think we are going to be talking about this or enjoying the games and waiting for the big hitters that never come out in year one.

I'll hold my hands up if big Microsoft games are crippled throughout the gen but I don't think this subject will even be a thing once we see the launch year games and get pass that phase.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
I'm not saying launch games will fully utilize next gen hardware but launch games being waved off as lackluster as if it's a given? Did people suddenly forget how good of launch the Switch had?
Yes, it had a cross gen game as their big hitter. Can anyone name the last title on a Playstation system that was a 1st party title that set the world on fire and showed the power of the new system?

Thekiddfran

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It all depends on price.

If they both launch at $499, will fans react like they did with PS3? Chances are they're both $499+, so we'll see how everyone spins it. Will it be consumer friendly, or rewarding loyal fans with something to justify the expense?

where are you getting the 499 target for Sony's console? People said the same for PS4 but it launched at 399

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
Yes, it had a cross gen game as their big hitter. Can anyone name the last title on a Playstation system that was a 1st party title that set the world on fire and showed the power of the new system?
Yes it had Zelda. A GOTY and was a crossgen game.

It had Mario Odyssey, Splatoon 2, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and ARMS. I knew you guys would hone in on BotW and forget everything else. How predictable.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is so anti consumer, ps5 games should play on my ps3 and it's powerful cell. Sony is arrogant and greedy, fix this shit GG
There is a huge difference between launch and later on. When all things are equal price becomes a larger role. Same with performance/value. People who suggest it's the games really mean it's to do with brand recognition with them because the launch window is hardly ever exciting as far as games go.

Once momentum kicks in it's hard to change mindshare and Sony has pretty much dominated when it comes to games later on. The Xbox One also sufffered from a lot of mistakes on their end with Kinect, performance and pricing so to get that mindshare back is difficult years into a generation.

It should be part of the discussion since Microsoft doesn't care if you buy their games on it or use Game Pass on it.
It's basically brand power at this point, I honestly don't think they can ever catch up to Playstation next gen or any other gen unless there's a significant shift on what 'sales' means anymore. Their best bet was during xbox 360 era to xbox 1 but they fuck it all up, xbox also has no presense on a lot of WW for some reason. Like they don't have regional brands or maybe they just fold it within the whole MS.

OP
OP
Dust

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Sony listened to your plea and you can now play PS4 games on PS1.
First screens below.

Bloodborne
maxresdefault.jpg

Death Stranding
images

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
The crazy is running high and we are still nearly a year away from actual next gen to hit lmao.

Nov 21, 2019
This forum sure likes to argue for just for the sake of arguing. If Schreier didn't say anything and we just see them announce PS5 exclusive games at the Playstation Meeting and E3, it would just be like any other generational transition and we would go on our merry ways. Sure, Microsoft has a different strategy so good for them. Sony is definitely more conservative but exclusive games for a new-gen (especially by first-party studios) aren't anything new.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
It had Mario Odyssey, Splatoon 2, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and ARMS. I knew you guys would hone in on BotW and forget everything else. How predictable.
You asked how good the launch line up was and yes BoTW was part of that and cross gen. Doesnt mean the rest was forgotten or lackluster (didnt say anything about that) but just shows a crossgen title can be great also and maybe even the best one. And then to say hone in and forget everything else seems to be abit childish. Like you almost planned it to create a reaction.

Think its time to bail from this thread also for myself.

Livetohard378

Self-requested ban
Banned
Feb 17, 2019
I knew next gen takes would be weird but this thread is wild.

People talking about how much they "trust" megacorps??🙃

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
COD/Assassin's Creed majority sales in 2020, 2021 will be on Xbox One and PS4

Hell maybe even until 2022

No by 2021 most of COD and AC sales will be on next gen systems .(if we get system sales close to this gen )
In fact after 2021 don't expect AAA cross gen games from the big pubs aside from stuff like FIFA.
People that buy next gen systems early buy much more software than people on older systems .

Klaphat

Banned
Dec 18, 2017

Why bring the Switch into this? It was released mid gen, and weak because it's a handheld. The problem was getting games to run on it. The complete opposite of when the PS4 and Xbox One was released. It's obtuse to bring up the Switch, we all know Nintendo is doing their own thing with their handheld. They are not even releasing a new console at the same time as Sony and Microsoft.

I find it funny how everyone talked trash about the beginning of this gen and now suddenly when Microsoft says that they will make the Xbox One slowly obsolete the beginning of next gen will be the best thing since sliced bread.

People acting like it will hold back all of next gen. But what exactly held back this gen from being great from the start then?

If Microsoft are going to support the Xbox One the whole next gen, then we will have problems, but only supporting it in the beginning of next gen will make zero difference. That's not whats holding games back in the beginning of generations and people probably knows it but are being obtuse on purpose because of console warz.

Like i refuse to believe any rational person thinks that Microsoft supporting the Xbox One for a couple of years will hold back the whole next gen. Because that makes no sense unless next gen only lasts for two years...[/QUOTE]

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
That was predicatble, naming games that were not available the day the syatem came out.

This is so anti consumer, ps5 games should play on my ps3 and it's powerful cell. Sony is arrogant and greedy, fix this shit GG

It's basically brand power at this point, I honestly don't think they can ever catch up to Playstation next gen or any other gen unless there's a significant shift on what 'sales' means anymore. Their best bet was during xbox 360 era to xbox 1 but they fuck it all up, xbox also has no presense on a lot of WW for some reason. Like they don't have regional brands or maybe they just fold it within the whole MS.

Sony definitely has brand power, much more so globally. The North American region is the least brand loyalty I think and the largest for sales. That is where price comes into play more so I think.

fun fact, for a lot of huge corporations "trust" is an important brand KPI :).
That explains why a lot of these threads mean very little because the same users seem to already know what they were gettting in the first place.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
I'd imagine the folk who bought an X and 3 years of Game Pass are very happy to hear this. I wouldn't want to work at MS customer service when all the "free" games coming out for Game Pass can't be played by the majority of Xbox owners.

Miopia

May 10, 2018
I mean a higher baseline makes a difference. It just means you have to strip more and more out to make it run on a weaker system. The difference in visuals between W3 on Switch and PS4 say is massive, but the difference is not as big an issue on the handheld, much bigger docked. I don't think something like Cyberpunk would run in any recognisable form on Switch though. I think from a game design perspective cross gen games are made with the base systems in mind and optimised and augmented for higher powered systems. It is obvious when you look at cross gen games like GTA V versus RDR2, or AC Black Flag vs AC Unity. I think AC Unity would need a lot of reworking to able to run on PS3 or Xbox 360 for instance. A low quality port would probably look worse than AC Black Flag on those systems because it is much more geometrically advanced than Black Flag. And then there is the lighting and texture systems and how much memory that needs to load

But Witcher 3 runs, man. Of Course not every game can be made to run on Switch, and i firmly believe that there will be a time when a Microsoft Game Studio's game will not run on an Xbox One.

May i ask you how many state of the art first party triple A exclusive (true exclusives, please) the PS4 will have at the end of this gen? I doubt you can name much more than 10, in seven years. Not many, and, for me, personally, not enough to justify paying top dollar day one for a machine to play them

The discussion isn't about the PC market though.

It's about Microsoft trying to change the current logic to something that resembles the state of PC Gaming.

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
maybe read my first post first before going on a rant. I didn't even care about anything else just that you said launch games will be lackluster as if it's a given. I've given an example of how it's not. Is it so hard to comprehend?

That was predicatble, naming games that were not available the day the syatem came out.

Simply amazing. In the context of the post I replied to it was specifically mentioned games on the first year. Not even reading. How predictable.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
One thing I've just thought of: I'll be buying an XSX day one, but this means I'll still be able to play Halo Infinite with my friends who are unlikely to be buying in the first year.