• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
The PS2 could barely do Splinter Cell, consoles have their limits and in a couple of years after these boxes come out the PC will be waiting again for consoles to catch up.

Catch up on what? Multiplatform game design is defined by the capabilities of the baseline hardware, which in this case is consoles.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I would love to see a WipEout game showcasing the SSD with an insanely detailed world that can be zipped through without any speed limitations. Zone mode could be particularly breathtaking.
That's a good point, I bet Zone mode looked the way it did because of the speed it would have to stream the background. Now a Zone mode could have a actual background, even a changing background as you pass through many environments in a single track.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
The PS2 could barely do Splinter Cell, consoles have their limits and in a couple of years after these boxes come out the PC will be waiting again for consoles to catch up.

Looking at a Steam hardware survey, it's not like the majority of those owners are keeping pace with the latest tech anyway. The case for a console each gen, is that the minimum requirements increase so new things are possible. If the baseline is still hardware from 2013, then any investment in upgrading PC hardware is kind of a waste.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
That's a good point, I bet Zone mode looked the way it did because of the speed it would have to stream the background. Now a Zone mode could have a actual background, even a changing background as you pass through many environments in a single track.

WipeOut veichles so fast that they race between planets in a single track, that would be bananas.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Just make an engine that scales, duh. Hit the scale button.
Unreal Engine 4, I kind of joke here though. Scaling only in visuals and polygons for a smal MOBA game with not much intensive stuff to calculate (it was a PS4 game after all). Game logic and AI in Paragon was very simple, but this game could go from very pretty, to very PS1 in visuals. The max setting had brutal blurry AA though.

zR1G3wv.png

WipeOut veichles so fast that they race between planets in a single track, that would be bananas.
Oh come on. jim carry.gif, now I'm going to want this.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
Unreal Engine 4, I kind of joke here though. Scaling only in visuals and polygons for a smal MOBA game with not much intensive stuff to calculate (it was a PS4 game after all). Game logic and AI in Paragon was very simple, but this game could go from very pretty, to very PS1 in visuals. The max setting had brutal blurry AA though.

zR1G3wv.png

Oh come on. jim carry.gif, now I'm going to want this.
That kinda looks like ps1! That's so cool. Too detailed for PS1. But close.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
What is this "next generation SSD"?

I keep hearing talk like that in context of PS5 because marketing they pushed, but do we have anything else? Any data?
Speculation on what Cerny said in Wired, what they demoed last year to devs and cutting edge PC SSD storage based around PCI-E 4.0 bandwidth which actually just became available on the latest Ryzen chipsets.

All "SSDs" aren't created equal. The PS5's (and Series X) read/write speeds are speculated to blow everything out of the water (except absolutely cutting edge PC SSDs). Basically it's speculated you'll be able to use the SSD as RAM for all intensive purposes. It's a huge leap from our current drives.

Oct 28, 2019
Lol why are we using genre defining games as the goal post for next gen exclusives in the launch year?

I think people just want devs to try and makes games with the new hardware capabilities in mind around launch. It's less about expecting genre defining games out the gate; and more about wanting devs to push the capabilities of the console sooner rather than later.
What is pushing capabilities " if not genre defining? A res boost? Framerate bost? That's not pushing capabilities.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
I don't even think MS is wrong to want to support their previous consoles, I just don't understand why I'd upgrade to their super expensive new console if the only benefit you get is games might look slightly better. I do wonder how they actually plan on selling the console.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
What is pushing capabilities " if not genre defining? A res boost? Framerate bost? That's not pushing capabilities.
Even the simplest things can make huge differences.

I do hope the Xbox Series X cross gen games at least find a way to not do stuff like have unskippable cutscenes that hide loading, or slow walking/fitting through crack segments at the very least. Being able ti zip in and out of games is so nice. If I want to check some info on something in Path of Exile, I could go on their site and look in my inventory, but I find it better to boot up the game and check there, it's that fast. Then I might do a run of a map or something while I'm there.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Speculation on what Cerny said in Wired, what they demoed last year to devs and cutting edge PC SSD storage based around PCI-E 4.0 bandwidth which actually just became available on the latest Ryzen chipsets.

All "SSDs" aren't created equal. The PS5's (and Series X) read/write speeds are speculated to blow everything out of the water (except absolutely cutting edge PC SSDs). Basically it's speculated you'll be able to use the SSD as RAM for all intensive purposes. It's a huge leap from our current drives.

So mostly marketing hype and hopeful expectations based on that.

That is something to know that it will be levering PCI-E 4.0. Looked quickly some benches that benches SSDs for PCI-E 3.0 and PCI-E 4.0 against each other. Nothing I would call blowing out earlier gen out of water in performance, but it's to be considered that 99.999% of games aren't designed for SSD. Star Citizen most likely being only one at the moment. When we get more games like that and cross-platform then these benches could be more interesting. Also outside of gaming scenarios we aren't talking anything mind blowing differences.

Using SSD / HDD space as extension for system memory isn't new in PC space, but haven't consoles done it even this gen? Huh, I assumed they would in most memory intense scenarios.

TL:DR: Looking towards seeing read / write specs for PS5 SSD.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So mostly marketing hype and hopeful expectations based on that.

That is something to know that it will be levering PCI-E 4.0. Looked quickly some benches that benches SSDs for PCI-E 3.0 and PCI-E 4.0 against each other. Nothing I would call blowing out earlier gen out of water in performance, but it's to be considered that 99.999% of games aren't designed for SSD. Star Citizen most likely being only one at the moment. When we get more games like that and cross-platform then these benches could be more interesting. Also outside of gaming scenarios we aren't talking anything mind blowing differences.

Using SSD / HDD space as extension for system memory isn't new in PC space, but haven't consoles done it even this gen? Huh, I assumed they would in most memory intense scenarios.

TL:DR: Looking towards seeing read / write specs for PS5 SSD.
Speculation is that the next gen consoles will be using NVMe SSD drives and I would say a 100% bump in transfer speed is pretty big over PCI-E 3.0.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Speculation is that the next gen consoles will be using NVMe SSD drives and I would say a 100% bump in transfer speed is pretty big.

Benches disagree with you, in most cases there doesn't seem to be difference basically. 4.0 based drives winning out with fractions of seconds.

But like I mentioned in my post, software out there most likely isn't truly levering SSDs. Especially games out there as they have been designed with HDDs in mind. Cross-platform titles designed around SSD should spice up those benches in few years.

If they do straight out NVMe SSD I hope they pony up for 1TB models as I doubt they design them to be replaceable by end users.

Oct 28, 2019
Even the simplest things can make huge differences.

I do hope the Xbox Series X cross gen games at least find a way to not do stuff like have unskippable cutscenes that hide loading, or slow walking/fitting through crack segments at the very least. Being able ti zip in and out of games is so nice. If I want to check some info on something in Path of Exile, I could go on their site and look in my inventory, but I find it better to boot up the game and check there, it's that fast. Then I might do a run of a map or something while I'm there.
So load times, that's next Gen to you? Same exact gameplay but better load times? That can be scaled and does not require development for just next Gen platforms. I doubt you'll be able to name a feature that can't be scaled.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Looking at a Steam hardware survey, it's not like the majority of those owners are keeping pace with the latest tech anyway. The case for a console each gen, is that the minimum requirements increase so new things are possible. If the baseline is still hardware from 2013, then any investment in upgrading PC hardware is kind of a waste.
That's why i questioned the one moderator who suggests that the new consoles will force pc gamers to upgrade to an SSD. It will be curious to see what the minimum requirement will be for Godfall

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
That's why i questioned the one moderator who suggests that the new consoles will force pc gamers to upgrade to an SSD. It will be curious to see what the minimum requirement will be for Godfall

At some point in next-gen game developers should go "Fuck HDD" and start designing their games around SSDs. It totally opens doors in design that otherwise would stay shut.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
So load times, that's next Gen to you? Same exact gameplay but better load times? That can be scaled and does not require development for just next Gen platforms. I doubt you'll be able to name a feature that can't be scaled.
It was an example, but yes since it's not possible to design games around SSDs on current gen consoles. We've been drooling over a Wipeout game where Zone Mode didn't have a simplistic background to do away with having to stream an environment at the speeds you travel at in Zone Mode. Then someone thought about traveling around planets with the speed, and that's the kind thing that make me excited.

Another person talked about how slow the vehicles in open world games are because higher speeds would cause issued. It reminded me how incredibly slow the mount in Dragon Age Inquisition was, they felt useless, and they had the nerve to add speed lines to them moving at that slow speed. Bioware wasn't fooling anyone with that air effect, but the last gen, and current gen consoles probably couldn't handle a faster mount in that game.

Now imagine a game that's designed around speed and quickly loading in the approaching environment. To down port that you will probably have to change the whole gameplay mechanics of both versions of the game (Dragon Age Inquisition horrible mounts), or you have to figure out some smoke and mirrors trick to allow it to work on the old hardware (turn everything into blocky structures, then slowly load in assets when you slow down maybe? I don't know).

mentallyinept

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
At some point in next-gen game developers should go "Fuck HDD" and start designing their games around SSDs. It totally opens doors in design that otherwise would stay shut.

That point for Sony first party devs is right now, or more likely, 2 years ago when they started dev on their games for PS5.

Third parties probably won't do so for years.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It was an example, but yes since it's not possible to design games around SSDs on current gen consoles. We've been drooling over a Wipeout game where Zone Mode didn't have a simplistic background to do away with having to stream an environment at the speeds you travel at in Zone Mode. Then someone thought about traveling around planets with the speed, and that's the kind thing that make me excited.

Another person talked about how slow the vehicles in open world games are because higher speeds would cause issued. It reminded me how incredibly slow the mount in Dragon Age Inquisition was, they felt useless, and they had the nerve to add speed lines to them moving at that slow speed. Bioware wasn't fooling anyone with that air effect, but the last gen, and current gen consoles probably couldn't handle a faster mount in that game.

Now imagine a game that's designed around speed and quickly loading in the approaching environment. To down port that you will probably have to change the whole gameplay mechanics of both versions of the game (Dragon Age Inquisition horrible mounts), or you have to figure out some smoke and mirrors trick to allow it to work on the old hardware (turn everything into blocky structures, then slowly load in assets when you slow down maybe? I don't know).

Superman game with that thinking. Sort of No Mans Sky, Star Citizen fly in towards the planet, ground.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Superman game with that thinking.
Cory Barlog can do it. He can make a Superman game interesting... maybe

@12:17

Relistening to this reminds me that PS5 will have that 3d sound thing. Also being able to go save people very fast, and having to choose you you save would play into that speed and data streaming bonus of the SSD.

Last edited:

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
That point for Sony first party devs is right now, or more likely, 2 years ago when they started dev on their games for PS5.

Third parties probably won't do so for years.

Why 3rd parties would hold on to the HDDs beyond transition period of gens that is what...1 to 2 years? Consoles are what drive SW sales and it's all 3rd party cares about, PC is small market in comparison so PC isn't reason to hold onto that limiting factor.

Oct 28, 2019

I agree with these examples, but what about them holds back next Gen. I mean you proved my point, the previous Gen games will suffer not the next Gen. This entire thread is based of marketing and speculation. There is nothing saying you can't develop a game for next Gen hardware and just scale back previous Gen. Nothing has to be held back, so why are people assuming this? Plus the console publishers have huge IPs coming out this year. You can bet those games will be on every system it can be.

ShaiKhulud

Oct 27, 2017
Kazan, Russia
Basically, dark1x said it all. But I'll repeat my post from similar thread once again, because some crucial points about scalability are clearly ignored in every cross-gen discussion on Era, it seems.

I understand the business will behind this decision. Hooray. Cheers. I'm happy for MS shareholders and budget gamers.

But please stop with downplaying obvious game design limits waving with a 'but scalability' argument.

I'll give you a few examples:
- You can't scale the physics written for a better CPU from the ground up. Either you water the whole engine to match the lowest CPU (because crossplay parity) or you create two radically different versions, and this is not an option. Microsoft's own Forza series will suffer among the first because of this decision, actually. I would even argue and say, that despite the stellar visuals. car physics this gen hardly progressed both in GT and FM, especially when you compare tthem with CPU-heavy AC Competizione, iRacing or rFactor 2. Jaguar is the limiting factor even now.

- You can't make a universal XSX/XO game with highly interactive environments(destruction, landscape deformation). You either remove the features alltogether, or they will bear little to no effect on overall gamedesign. Because naturally, you don't want to build a game around a tech feature that you can't scale. It's actually the reason why current gen games (even the first party ones) are so static and limited when you try to interact with them. Walls are indestructable, beer cans are made of solid bricks, and there is no Burnout-like game around. Jaguar simply can't hold a candle in the face of a serious mayhem.

- Slow HDD and Weak Jaguar as a lowest target = Less unique asstets you can place on a location (cuz streaming, you'll need to duplicate a lot of things because of bandwith limits), strict limit om interactive NPCs you can spawn, slower travel speeds that you can afford within a streaming budget, less sounds you can play simultaneously. If you're building your game around those features (rich sound palette, lots of unique objects to look at, crowds of NPCs with tons of unique animations to interact with), many features are not scalable. That's why the whole Nemesis system is missing from past-gen Shadows of Mordor altogether.

The Horde system in Days Gone, for example, is possible entirely because PS4' GPU can (barely) handle huge crowds. You can't scale this feature to PS3 or X360. And it's the main routine that the game is build around. Days Gone is clearly working on the bleeding edge though, I guess the hordes in the sequel will be much smarter thanks to a better CPU. And framerate whould be smoother.

- Slow CPU will actually seriously limit procedural generation in your game, especially in NMS-clone or something like Dwarf Fortress. Mind you, DF could be a tough game even for current top PC chips. And everything in DF is build around procedural generation.

- Better CPU = better netcode and way better AI. You can't scale those things down to Jaguar from Zen without hurting the integrity of your vision. The Jaguar baseline it just too low. Honestly, XBO/PS4 CPU wan't great even back then. The player limit in MP will be tied to Jaguar, the density of the Battle Royale map will be tied to 5400rpm of XO' HDD and the brains of your AI-teammates in Halo will be limited by the ancient CPU.

I mean cheer, hooozah, all hail GP and everything else. But be honest with yourself for a second, please.

mentallyinept

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Why 3rd parties would hold on to the HDDs beyond transition period of gens that is what...1 to 2 years? Consoles are what drive SW sales and it's all 3rd party cares about, PC is small market in comparison so PC isn't reason to hold onto that limiting factor.

You could be right, it's going to depend on adoption rates and other types of analytics but PC is not a market segment to be discounted given the rate of PC ports nowadays.

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with these examples, but what about them holds back next Gen. I mean you proved my point, the previous Gen games will suffer not the next Gen. This entire thread is based of marketing and speculation. There is nothing saying you can't develop a game for next Gen hardware and just scale back previous Gen. Nothing has to be held back, so why are people assuming this? Plus the console publishers have huge IPs coming out this year. You can bet those games will be on every system it can be.
You have someone from Digital Foundry, and a dev that liked those Tweets, saying things will be held back.

It is common sense.

You can't design a level around a blazing fast SSD and then "scale down" to a very slow HDD. It isn't going to cut it.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

It's not really that black and white if the games they've had in development started many years ago, see Halo 5 and the ones they are making with old and new studios for the first year probably aren't AAA tech wizardry or on a scale that is crushing for an Xbox One and the expected big hitters turn up in year 2 which is common for generations. Lastly, we are going off a timeline of 1 year into next gen but after, maybe smaller scale games will appear here and there or they will all dry up and games will be next gen only. We just don't know.

i don't disagree that jaguar sucks and will suck if they continue pushing it for big games for a generation but I doubt that is the case but people are talking like they should just dump a generation in the bin when the first year is usually sod all, I don't get it. We are getting new games, hopefully good ones.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
If the games have to consider this gen, we get bikes, or mounts that move slow on next gen, or don't get to work on a game mechanic that's built around speed, teleportation, or transforming environments into new ones as an example. Game designers would likely come up with a ton of uses for SSD alone. (goes off to google if there's a mod to speed up the mount in Dragon Age Inquisition for personal interests).

Oct 28, 2019
You have someone from Digital Foundry, and a dev that liked those Tweets, saying things will be held back.

It is common sense.

You can't design a level around a blazing fast SSD and then "scale down" to a very slow HDD. It isn't going to cut it.
Basically "because some guys on the internet said it" is not good enough for me. At this point all you can do is wait for the games to be shown and see what the actual devs choose to do.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
You could be right, it's going to depend on adoption rates and other types of analytics but PC is not a market segment to be discounted given the rate of PC ports nowadays.

Sadly we don't have way to pull data on what kind SSD adaption and use rate we are looking withing PC gaming as of now.

SSD has been affordable choice for years now, basically every pre-built comes with one and every budgiest of budget builds now days pack one when looking at e.g. Reddit threads about PC builds etc. Anecdotally I would guess that majority of PC gamers have SSD in setup for OS and at least for their core game(s) even if rest of setup was bit more dated.

There is a reason why so many PC gamers are getting chuckle out of consoles getting on SSD train in 2020.

mentallyinept

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sadly we don't have way to pull data on what kind SSD adaption and use rate we are looking withing PC gaming as of now.

SSD has been affordable choice for years now, basically every pre-built comes with one and every budgiest of budget builds now days pack one when looking at e.g. Reddit threads about PC builds etc. Anecdotally I would guess that majority of PC gamers have SSD in setup for OS and at least for their core game(s) even if rest of setup was bit more dated.

There is a reason why so many PC gamers are getting chuckle out of consoles getting on SSD train in 2020.

Solid points.

All the more reason to move to SSDs in consoles now.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Basically "because some guys on the internet said it" is not good enough for me. At this point all you can do is wait for the games to be shown and see what the actual devs choose to do.
It's probably best to wait for more info on these new consoles. We still know very little about them. Right now we're just in recess, dreaming about fancy sport cars, trying to be the first to call dibs on them as they ride by on the highway.

People seem to think Sony will reveal a lot next month. I'm not expecting that though. But hey, Cyberpunk 2077 is soon! I bet this game will cause Xbox One base, and PS4 not Pro chug.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017

Digital Foundry is not just some internet guys. I saw an Ubi dev and an ID software dev liking those tweets too.

So the outlet that does tech analysis and actual devs agreeing with their point about cross gen holding stuff back.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
People keep saying this is why I buy new consoles but I've done it just to play the best version of games, the same way I will do it to play Ghosts, TloU2, etc. If there are exclusives, great for me, it just sucks for PS4/Pro owners who may not be able to get a PS5 right away.

^ Exactly. I can't think of anything. Lower the physics, No RT, worse FPS, longer load times, etc. They got The Witcher 3 to run on a tablet. Maybe the SSD really does change everything?

Next Gen is going to brutally highlight what is wrong with current gen hardware.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
That may have been me and I stand by my assertions.

Games designed around leveraging SSDs on a programming level will have SSDs in the PC port's system requirements. It's not that difficult of a connection to make.

Not every game will do so, some will strongly recommend on penalty of insane load times. But some of the possibilities being discussed, if utilized, will require an SSD on all platforms.

Star Citizen is already unacceptable on the fastest of HDDs. It won't be the last.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
That may have been me and I stand by my assertions.

Games designed around leveraging SSDs on a programming level will have SSDs in the PC port's system requirements. It's not that difficult of a connection to make.

Not every game will do so, some will strongly recommend on penalty of insane load times. But some of the possibilities being discussed, if utilized, will require an SSD on all platforms.

Star Citizen is already unacceptable on the fastest of HDDs. It won't be the last.
A good example is back in the 90s with the transition from software renderers to GPU rendering. Some releases supported both, but after a little while you saw more and more games that required a GPU until software renderers just went away.

I see the same thing happening with SSDs. It's time for hard drives to go.