• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Nov 11, 2017
Most will be but we're talking first party games here. The idea that it's elitist for Sony to have PS5 exclusive games is the biggest load of BS I've seen in some time... not least the move to stigmatise support for that off the boards.
I think both just have different strategies don't neccesarily think its anti consumer, that's a bit harsh

Civilstrife

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, I get wanting exclusive games that push what a console is capable of as an incentive to pick it up at launch.

I just don't think there will be any games released for either console in their first couple of years that couldn't run with compromises on a mid-low spec PC.

I also get that the CPUs of current gen consoles are ancient by today's standards, but are developers' ideas really so constrained by them that their next generation games couldn't possibly work on them?

And the few games that do push the envelope, that perhaps use the new CPUs to push hugely populated and dense open worlds for instance...won't those games demand a budget so high that releasing them exclusively to a very young platform might be financially risky?

TheClaw7667

Oct 25, 2017
Right, that's why games like Uncharted 4, Horizon, Spider-Man, The Last of Us, etc. are 10+ million sellers. Games sell systems. Price is not the most important factor. Of course, everything factors in including pricing but games are the most important part. That's the whole point of a console over a PC. You're looking at its lineup of exclusive games you can't get anywhere else.
I feel like the PC is a bad example as there is a ton of exclusives you can't get on the consoles. It might even be the one system that has more exclusives than any single console. I guess if all anyone cared about is AAA you have a point but in terms of games that can only be played on the PC, not much has it beat.

I definitely chose which console I buy based on the exclusive games each one has as I play primarily on PC so 3rd party games don't factor in at all.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
With the current PS4 install base yes. That's not gonna happen when your install base starts at zero. Which at that initial time frame their aiming to drive hardware vs MS trying to drive software.
PS4 isn't going away. It will still get support, but PS5 will have exclusives at launch that will attract buyers to upgrade, vs. just being another "refresh" for a year.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Every time I think Microsoft has learned from their past mistakes, they go and do something like this.
They're not abandoning thier base like previous gen, they're not making that mistake. Pretty sure XSX games in terms of design will be as ambitious as anything PS5 has to offer, it'll just be a good deal reduced on older hardware.

Ghos

Oct 25, 2017
squeezethrough.gif

If your game doesn't have a dozen of these because it's now designed for a hardware that can handle asset loading at a much faster rate, it's not gonna be so easy to just add these to your last gen versions.

Powerful hardware affects more than just FPS/texture quality.
Lmaoo consecutive squeeze through

SayWord

Banned
Dec 4, 2019
Makes 0 business sense to put millions into a brand new console only to not have games exclusively to help push the investment.

Will be very interesting to see how this all plays out, especially with in my view MS first party line up of games and devs arent that inspiring.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
That wont happen for several years.
The hardware can be pushed to the limit at launch, it just won't be used quite as efficiently. Learning tricks to get better results for less brute force power. You can make current new PC hardware sweat with Skyrim (a last gen game, mainly the GPU will sweat) and mods, it will look very pretty, but it will have the bones of Skyrim, a very old game. You can also play Control, RDR2, or other current gen games that are pretty new and look better than a modded Skyrim with a PC chewing bubblegum pushing out 144 frames per second, all while having very good gameplay, and use for the CPU.

kpaadet

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm talking about exclusives. This will test how important a bigger userbase is. Microsoft's exclusives will have a gigantic userbase at launch compared to Sony's PS5 exclusives.
I know, I just said install base isn't everything using 3rd party games as an example, but unless MS start giving out numbers we'll never know.

MaulerX

Oct 30, 2017
PS4 isn't going away. It will still get support, but PS5 will have exclusives at launch that will attract buyers to upgrade, vs. just being another "refresh" for a year.

That much is obvious. At least initially thou, a PS5 exclusive it's not going to outsell an ecosystem exclusive (Halo Infinite on PC, Xbox One S/X and Series X etc...)

banter

Jan 12, 2018
This is great for the gaming community most of all. They're all doing (at least somewhat) their own thing and that's going to be great. Options for everyone who can't afford everything and differences for people who can.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
This thread proved me wrong.

Originally i thought that we were heading to a world where Crossgen games would make more sense simply because you would have more Setting options. Games like Nioh and others had "Performance" options where the game would pull down some configs in order to run better.

I was just thinking that cross gen games would be that from now on... you get the Regualr 30FPS version on previous gen, you get the 60 FPS version on next gen. Same game, just runs better.

Cause... really, im fine with you guys wanting Launch games to be focused on the new hardware... but when was the last time the Launch lineup of exclusives turned out to be the best of the crop?

Switch?

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
The hardware can be pushed to the limit at launch, it just won't be used quite as efficiently. Learning tricks to get better results for less brute force power. You can make current new PC hardware sweat with Skyrim (a last gen game, mainly the GPU will sweat) and mods, it will look very pretty, but it will have the bones of Skyrim, a very old game. You can also play Control, RDR2, or other current gen games that are pretty new and look better than a modded Skyrim with a PC chewing bubblegum pushing out 144 frames per second, all while having very good gameplay, and use for the CPU.

Well for me pushing HW to its limit is tapping out its all potential, not just your usual gen release titles that barely scratch surface.

But thanks for mansplaning that all to me like I'm 10.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Doesn't that mean there will be limited selection of games at launch?
No cross gen titles, no ports, no backward compatibility titles.

Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (1 day): Console warring
Sony have a pretty good mix heading into next gen. BC with all PS4 games and having PS5 exclusives day one is a hard challenge to beat.

To Microsoft, I say......

giphy.gif

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
squeezethrough.gif

If your game doesn't have a dozen of these because it's now designed for a hardware that can handle asset loading at a much faster rate, it's not gonna be so easy to just add these to your last gen versions.

Powerful hardware affects more than just FPS/texture quality.
Isn't this just a fancy loading screen? What here wasn't possible downscaled to a weaker console?

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
I mean, I get wanting exclusive games that push what a console is capable of as an incentive to pick it up at launch.

I just don't think there will be any games released for either console in their first couple of years that couldn't run with compromises on a mid-low spec PC.

I also get that the CPUs of current gen consoles are ancient by today's standards, but are developers' ideas really so constrained by them that their next generation games couldn't possibly work on them?

And the few games that do push the envelope, that perhaps use the new CPUs to push hugely populated and dense open worlds for instance...won't those games demand a budget so high that releasing them exclusively to a very young platform might be financially risky?

I'd say it's the job of first party to make that investment for strategic support of the platform vs immediate dollar return.

To touch on some of your other points, though, I think it favours the evolution of software in the cycle for as many devs as possible to be able to focus on a higher minimum requirement as soon as possible. Their first attempts - launch games - may not be the most sophisticated efforts but they're the shoulders on which the later waves of game are built. I think the level of sophistication of the games of 2022 and 2023 will benefit from the work that went into next generation exclusive games released in 2020, vs a scenario where 2022 games were the first of that ilk. It's quite reasonable to hope some devs can start asking themselves how to fundamentally leverage this level of hardware now, vs later, if starting that process later only delays the more sophisticated uses.

I also think questions of whether something is conceivably possible on less powerful baselines is also a little besides the point...what is conceivably possible and what is actually possible in a given schedule/budget/skill level differ, but everyone's ability goes up to their own 'best' with a higher target spec and focus. It's another reason incentivising user adoption of higher specs, faster, is desirable.

MaulerX

Oct 30, 2017
Nobody is expecting them to though?

Now that we got that settled I'll reiterate my initial point that Sony wants to sell more hardware and MS more Software at the initial phase. There is nothing wrong with either and thus simply translates to different strategies and philosophies.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Probably so

28590845283_9bd5d77b7d_b.jpg

But from PS1 to PS2 it was a much bigger leap than from PS4 to PS5
Most of those games are not even made by Sony, that is why it will be harder than ever to really show off the new system all on their own since third party exclusives are getting lighter and lighter (thankfully). Not sure how far along developers like Polyphony Digital are with GT6.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't this just a fancy loading screen?
That's my point. If you are designing a more open game for next gen, it's not just gonna be so easy to downscale that to a last gen console as people in here seem to think it is.

Another great example that someone else brought up is how significantly Yakuza games changed after they switched to Dragon Engine and became PS4 only games as opposed to PS3/PS4 cross-gen.

Puffy

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Thinking about it, these platform holders don't need to be doing the same thing. They have different goals and priorities. So the people wanting Sony to copy gamepass can chill out and the people wanting Microsoft to copy sony's approach to a new generation can chill out too.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
The whole MS approach is wrong, i'm like "why even mention that?"
You buy a console for its games.

Well, the Series X could offer options, like 4k60 or 1080/1440@120Hz modes with games the One X and S might only output at 4k30 and 1080p30. If you have a new TV, you can easily take advantage of that stuff. There's also the fact that, eventually, you will need a next-gen Xbox to play new games, and I'm sure quite a few people will want to go ahead and get the Series X at launch and be set.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
Dude the one Switch exclusive at launch as 1 2 switch and snipperclips. c'mon... Breath of the wild was on the Wiiu.

Zelda did not play as well from what I hear on Wii U as it did on switch. ANd Mario Odyssey released in the same year(launch window). So did ARMS as well as splatoon 2.

Minus some ports, a lot of the games were developed specifically for switch.

Nov 11, 2017
I imagine MS really hate that they promised halo for current gen. That would have been an ideal next gen exclusive to drive hardware sales.
Ms cares about revenue not just console sales, halo is going to do incredible on every platform. It'll do way worse just on series x that would be dumb, I doubt it would sell anymore consoles being just exclusive anyway. The game is going to dominant if it's good regardless. The differences between the two versions will highlight

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017
Opposites attract.

The exact opposite of Microsoft's strategy.

Sony has the right strategy.
The right start to sell PS5..... no problem with that tho, finally planning on getting a gaming PC and just keep my mac for work stuff, so between the PC and Sony, im pretty much covered, doubt i would have the time to fit in a 3rd console anyway... A PS5, and PC and done.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
I sometimes despise the elitist air this forum is comprised of.

"as it should be", "the right approach" etc

as if to justify your new $500 purchase, the games you play can't be allowed to be enjoyed by more people on more affordable, older hardware.

My friend recently started at GameStop, and he's fascinated by the people and things they buy even today. Younger kids purchasing Wii's, 360s etc, super excited to take home their new consoles.

How many people do you suspect will be purchasing PS4s and Xbox Ones in the years to come? Imagine being able to play the same titles as the new consoles, albeit at a lower fidelity? Especially with cross play becoming a huge push? Magnificent.

To be honest, to hell with this toxic line of thinking, there's no room for it going forward.

(how many people get to play together on WoW, Overwatch, etc due to differing levels of hardware?)

Christ. People want next gen games to be 100% designed for it and not wanting them to be held back because of old gen is elitist? what the fuck.

I've never read more bizarre reason to call people and a line of thinking elitist/toxic.

Microsoft's strategy is pro-consumer.

Microsoft's strategy only lasts for 1-2 years.

Oh no, Microsoft will become anti-consumer in 1-2 years!

Exactly lol.

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
That's fine, Sony didn't sell 100 million units during it's first year or 2 anyways. You can always come back to the Series X once they get games on it that aren't on Xbox One if that's your preference. Just find it odd you are ok with cross gen games when you say you buy new systems to play games only for the new hardware.

You find it odd that I don't think cross gen games are inherently bad, but that they are also not the reason why I'll go out to buy a next gen console on day 1? Seems pretty normal and reasonable for me.