• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bitch Pudding

Oct 25, 2017
MS now is less about selling you a console and more about selling you a service.

Just like printer manufacturers like HP try to sell you ink as a service....

If we learned anything from Stadia then its that it will take quite some time before Xcloud and GamePass on other platforms can offset declining Xbox hardware sales.
Xbox still needs healthy hardware sales in the foreseeable future, since Xbox Live subs as well as royalties are still THE major revenue generator for the Xbox platform, not Xcloud oe GamePass which - as we saw with Gears 5 - also negatively impacts actual software sales for titles which already have a huge visibility on their store front.

MS's strategy isn't to be the #1 console. Their strategy under Spencer is for Xbox to be a huge platform; to include the One S, X, SeriesX, and PC. All unified under Game Pass.

it's working for them.

What's the empirical base for that conclusion?

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017
Good, PS4 will have had an exceptional 7 years and there will be many crossgen 3rd party games anyway.

Sony needs to focus on pushing PS5 out of the gates and bringing the heat with exclusives is the way to go.

MS's strategy is obviously to bring all their games to as many devices as possible, I can respect that too, not really what I'd wish for, if I were a XSX buyer though.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I mean Microsoft tries to go for software sales by giving us the way to play it on any kind of device in the future where as Sony just has their exclusives on their console and nowhere else which is why I will buy a PS5 and not a Xbox because I already have a PC for that. Which strategy gives whom more money I can't say in that case, but I wouldn't buy a PS5 if I could play the titles on any other devices so there is that. It's more hardware vs. software approach here, but Sony will still manage to sell a ton more of exclusives if Microsoft doesn't put out interesting games.
So if Godfall is only a (timed) console exclusive and will release also on PC then it's not a reason for you to buy a PS5?

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
I go to bed, then eight hours later, I wake up to find a thread that's the polar opposite of Booty's recent comment is created and has the exact same folks putting their (opposite) views across...

For me, I have long accepted that Sony and Microsoft (and even Nintendo) are doing their own thing these days, and none of them are 'doing it right', just that they pursue their own directions that works well for them.

Sony — sells the most home consoles, 10+ million first party games and are a beloved global brand. At present, they're transiting from one generation to the next with a fresh start in mind.
Microsoft — focussing on selling their services (Game Pass, xCloud and Xbox Live) to past, current and future Xbox consoles, as well as putting their games up on both Epic Games Store and Steam too. They are still unable to break free outside of their strong Anglosphere support though.
Nintendo — a fusion of home and portable gaming, very successful new and longtime IPs and are, once again, beloved around the world after a worrisome misstep with the Wii U.

Just out of interest, what are the launch PS5 exclusives?

Nobody knows what games shall be available on day one for both the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X.

Third party wise, a new 'Assassin's Creed', 'Call of Duty' and 'FIFA' seems like a sure-fire guess though!

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So if Godfall is only a (timed) console exclusive and will release also on PC then it's not a reason for you to buy a PS5?

No why would it? It would only be interesting to me if I am really hyped for that game and I wouldn't be able to wait, but I always wait a year till I buy a next gen console because there ain't no games at launch or there is a drought. But it's not about Godfall (which doesn't look interesting so far), but more about other exclusives like Horizon, Naughty Dog games, Spider Man 2 etc.

If I knew all those games would release on the PC, why even bother buying a console except for my few friends that would like to play a MP game sometimes (which we mostly do on PC).

Edit: I am really confused about that question. Why would I bother? It's not like online services or anything on any console are great. if I have the option to play everything on PC I would gladly take it and not waste some stupid subscription money for a online service or not having options to change my game settings. This is more a thing about which friends play on which plattform which was never a problem in my case.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Why doesn't it make sense though? If games look just as good but I still get to play the same game with my friends who waited on the 200$ Xbox One S, wouldn't that make MS' decision better? If exclusivity doesn't make games look better, than its really only exclusive to force people to upgrade.

Well, you know, that's the point. They're trying to get people to adopt new hardware. We've seen what games can be scaled down to the Switch, I'm sure early next gen there will be games on PS5 that can be scaled down to the PS4, doesn't mean they should be though.

Both Microsoft and Sony's strategies make sense given their wider objectives as corporations. Not sure why so many of you are failing to grasp that.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft's view is probably that even if people buy their game on the older hardware, they're still investing in their library which will be compatible on the XSX, making it more likely they'll eventually buy one in the future.

OP
OP
Dust

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
3lvw00.jpg

Ombala

Oct 30, 2017
Will be interesting to see first party sales with these different approaches, if MS can't sell more with the whole PC player base and both current and next gen Xbox they really need to step up their game.

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
Witcher 3 proved almost everybody wrong, them saying this is for first party titles only makes me confident it will pan out fine and all owners of MS hardware will be looked after
The main difference is that The Witcher 3 scaled after years of additional development. The question is whether MS is able to publish on multiple platforms at the same time while taking 100% advantage of XSX and PC. That requires a huge effort and probably multiple studios (or teams). In any case, MS's strategy makes sense since they only care about subscriptions and ease of access.

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
Personally, I believe this is the right strategy. It's worked quite well for Sony over the years. The way that they justify it, is by ending the current generation with a bang.

They're ending it with:
TLOU2
FF7:Remake
Ghost of Tsushima
REmake 3 (multiplat)
Cyberpunk 2077 (multiplat)

Probably lots of games I've forgotten about as well. It could turn out to be one of the best years yet for the PS4, when it comes to critically acclaimed games.

Adhering to their current base, whilst enticing that same base with what's to come, is IMO, the right way to go. I don't just want prettier visuals, I want something completely impossible on a PS4.

To comment briefly on MS's strategy, there are really only two scenarios they could go with and it's either,

a) The X1's used as the base, and they build upon that with prettier visuals (better lighting, higher resolutions, better textures, higher framerates etc), with the same gameplay and game design intact.

Or

b) They build two seperate games. A seperate version for each, that utilizes the strength of the SX. For example, now I don't know how big Halo Infinite is going to be, but the SX version could feature much faster vehicles or completely new ones that utilize the SSD's streaming capabilites.

I don't think scenario b) is very likely. They'd have to split their resources, and I would imagine it'd cost a hell of a lot more. But who knows, they might just do it, we don't know yet.

Scenario a) makes more sense, and I believe they'll go with that. That way, they'll also be ending the X1 generation with a bang (with the latest Halo). Exciting times!

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Personally, I believe this is the right strategy. It's worked quite well for Sony over the years. The way that they justify it, is by ending the current generation with a bang.

They're ending it with:
TLOU2
Ghost of Tsushima
REmake 3 (multiplat)

Probably lots of games I've forgotten about as well. It could turn out to be one of the best years yet for the PS4, when it comes to critically acclaimed games.

Adhering to their current base, whilst enticing that same base with what's to come, is IMO, the right way to go. I don't just want prettier visuals, I want something completely impossible on a PS4.

To comment briefly on MS's strategy, there are really only two scenarios they could go with and it's either,

a) The X1's used as the base, and they build upon that with prettier visuals (better lighting, higher resolutions, better textures, higher framerates etc), with the same gameplay and game design intact.

Or

b) They build two seperate games. A seperate version for each, that utilizes the strength of the SX. For example, now I don't know how big Halo Infinite is going to be, but the SX version could feature much faster vehicles or completely new ones that utilize the SSD's streaming capabilites.

I don't think scenario b) is very likely. They'd have to split their resources, and I would imagine it'd cost a hell of a lot more. But who knows, they might just do it, we don't know yet.

Scenario a) makes more sense, and I believe they'll go with that. That way, they'll also be ending the X1 generation with a bang (with latest Halo). Exciting times!

I fully expect some modes to be locked out of some early cross-gen games on XB1.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
Of course they will, they are continuing with the same strategy. I just hope Sony manages to execute the early years of the PS5 better than the PS4. I remember playing Second Son and there being a drought. Sold my PS4 and bought another one in 2015 right after Bloodborne released.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
I like the Microsoft approach much more. It will result in flawless 60fps games with pristine image quality at 4k.

It's not like the Sony approach doesn't have advantages, but I'd rather have games with lower quality graphical assets, CPU simulations and whatever but at a high, smooooooth framerate.

Desfrog

Oct 29, 2017
Will be interesting to see if Godfall's minimum specs for PC. Wonder if it will require an SSD like Star Citizen.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017

They're ending it with:
TLOU2
Ghost of Tsushima
REmake 3 (multiplat)

Or

Scenario a) makes more sense, and I believe they'll go with that. That way, they'll also be ending the X1 generation with a bang (with the latest Halo). Exciting times!
To me, if its b, why say anything at all? There would be no need to. It would be 2 different games. If its B, this was weird for Booty to say, especially knowing there would be the comparison to how Sony's doing it.

Agree, we dont know the details yet.

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Personally I think MS approach is way more consumer friendly and much much better than the old style approach Sony is sticking too.

Also if I can buy a Xbox series X and play my new games both on it and my current X that's a big plus I think.

Earthed

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Sep 26, 2019
they won't be developed like that though, why do people think that? They'll be made for the best hardware and scaled back on the base Xbox.
To give you one example as to why this won't work like that: there are fundamental differences between a system with a jaguar and a mechanical hard drive vs a system with a zen2 system and an SSD that goes beyond raw TFLOPS. Not everything developed with the latter in mind can be scaled down. if you want to build something with both of these targets in mind, you have to build 2 distinct solutions in much the same way that, for example, Shadow of Mordor handled it. Maybe they'll do that.

Also, like, generally speaking no game developer builds for the high spec and scales down. You build for low spec and scale up, because that's far more manageable.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
I like the Microsoft approach much more. It will result in flawless 60fps games with pristine image quality at 4k.

It's not like the Sony approach doesn't have advantages, but I'd rather have games with lower quality graphical assets, CPU simulations and whatever but at a high, smooooooth framerate.

So you're basically saying you want to keep playing old shit because that runs smoother on overpowered hardware?

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It'll be good to see non-constrained next gen games on ps5. MS seems on the bad PR train they were on last gen.
As a core gamer, MS said all the right things with the One X.... as a core gamer, their approach to not allowing "next gen exclusive games"... Im staying the hell away from their ecosystem. I owed 5 Xbox 360s in that generation, near every room in my house had one, to this gen when I stayed away because of their bad launch, the One X had me enticed... but this approach to not maximize the use of their next gen console?
Their not getting a cent from me till they change. MS approach is as bad as always online in 2013.

Im quite shocked other gamers want to make this industry into the cellphone game industry, thats a joke btw. The latest and greatest always held back by the phones released in the last two years.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I could see some comments here not aging very well... february is coming.

Miopia

May 10, 2018
By the time the PS5 lineup picks up steam, MS will already be releasing next gen titles, i believe.

I think MS strategy is perfectly fine, being a much more democratic and consumer friendly approach. They want to sell you the ecosystem, and will be Very happy to sell you any Xbox family system, or even just a PC Gamepass signup, this holiday season. Because they're offering choice , and because of Gamepass, the value prepositon makes much more sense. I can see the Xbox One X with and agressive price tag beeing a great Gateway product unto the ecosystem, and i don't see the PS4 Pro like that.

Don't get me wrong... I think the Sony exclusives are amazing games, probably the most advanced eye popping products of the market, but beeing a PC Gamer myself, i hate the concept of having to buy unto their walled garden, specially because the machine itself offers nothing different in terms of features (like the Switch does)

Last edited:

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They said for a year or so after launch
You see... firstly they said Two Years.

Secondly. I don't trust them. Because

1)They push Xcloud. This is based on 2013 Xbox One HW.
2)They say Xcloud will "eventually" become Lockhart based. So... do you think they spent 4 years making it Xbox One based, only to rip it all out and make it Lockhart based? (lol)
3) MS's apprach is purely for Gamepass reasons, to keep churning out games made once, then thrown on there and it will be supported by the garbage 1TF GPU/Jaguar CPUs.
4)They will always play a fake anti-consumer card, even two years from now, they will say its anti consumer to leave anyone behind, lets keep doing it.
5)Over and above everything, Lockhart is still garbage out the gate (according to Jason Schreier's sources, who cant even get beyond PS4 Pro power out of it)
Lockhart will hold back next gen too.

All in all, I am smart enough to not trust MS on this. Just like how Day 1 when news broke of always online, I didn't entertain that dumb idea either. (and I remember some on the old place defending those decisions tooth and nail the same way)

PS: And remember guys, Don Matrrick was head of Xbox, bit Phil was head of Xbox Game Studios, he isn't some new recruit they got to turn things around, he was part of the decision making process. Same for all the lies spewed about how great ESRAM is (ONLY to remove it with Xbox One X) and even a part of the decision to release official statements saying they cant patch out the use of Kinect with Xbox One, because it was designed around it to stay plugged in 24/7, along with always online.

So with MS's recent approach? I still don't trust them with the future of the industry at large.

Last edited:

CypressFX

Banned
Feb 25, 2019
To be honest, Microsoft pisses me off with this strategy

Its the first time since X360 and PS3 Generation (and even way more better than that time period) where we get High-End Hardware on each component, and now they want to massively stop tha progress train by A) Lockhart and B) sitting on a 7 years old console as the main base?

I really hope 3rd parties will push only Next-Gen and are not forced in some way to develop for Xbox One or PS4...

Deleted member 19767

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You see... firstly they said Two Years.

Secondly. I don't trust them. Because

1)They push Xcloud. This is based on 2013 Xbox One HW.
2)They say Xcloud will "eventually" become Lockhart based. So... do you think they spent 4 years making it Xbox One based, only to rip it all out and make it Lockhart based? (lol)
3) MS's apprach is purely for Gamepass reasons, to keep churning out games made once, then thrown on there and it will be supported by the garbage 1TF GPU/Jaguar CPUs.
4)They will always play a fake anti-consumer card, even two years from now, they will say its anti consumer to leave anyone behind, lets keep doing it.
5)Over and above everything, Lockhart is still garbage out the gate (according to Jason Schreier's sources, who cant even get beyond PS4 Pro power out of it)
Lockhart will hold back next gen too.

All in all, I am smart enough to not trust MS on this. Just like how Day 1 when news broke of always online, I didn't entertain that dumb idea either.

What is this? What's the source?