• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Osiris397

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Wouldn't it be better for the games if they just released on the PS5?
I said this so many times. Before, as a gamer, you get to GOT or TLOU2 Sony has released more then enough exclusive games. I'm probably going to wait play them on PS5 because they are likely optimized for PS5 and honestly the games could be pack-in PS5 games and then how will the cheap skates that always whine about keeping them on PS4 feel?

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
That may have been me and I stand by my assertions.

Games designed around leveraging SSDs on a programming level will have SSDs in the PC port's system requirements. It's not that difficult of a connection to make.

Not every game will do so, some will strongly recommend on penalty of insane load times. But some of the possibilities being discussed, if utilized, will require an SSD on all platforms.

Star Citizen is already unacceptable on the fastest of HDDs. It won't be the last.
I'm not doubting you, it's just that I don't see it happening quickly but I'm all for developers moving forward. I have a pair of M.2 drives and one SSD.

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
MS no next gen exclusivity policy will affect multiplatform third party games on PS5 as much as it will affect Series X, if it's enforced on third parties.

I wonder if it will make devs that want to push the envelope to go exclusive on PS5/PC, or at least make a moneyhat more attractive or less costly for Sony.

I think it will all depend if MS will allow third party devs to target whatever platform they decide from the start. If in the first 1 or 2 years MS mandates that every game on Xbox Series X runs on Xbox One I can see a few devs going PC/PS5 only regardless of the appeal of a larger player base.

Anyone knows if MS decision is just for their studios? I hope it is.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
mgs-720x720.jpg

metal-gear-solid-2-sons-of-liberty-was-the-game-that-stopped-me-being-a-fanboy-220-body-image-1427801724.jpg

425748-ps2_ridge_racer_22.jpg

942656-ridge-racer-7-playstation-3-screenshot-aviator-loop.png

573310-resistance-3-playstation-3-screenshot-the-bullseye-can-lock.jpg

1467348181-283861068.jpg

I just like seeing the jump in graphics and exclusives have always done that best Imo.

Also look at this jump in Graphics, Animation, and Presentation.

Released in the same year. A True Next Gen leap.
If yall are genuine about this question/topic, watch a few minutes of both of these videos.

Maybe some have never had this feeling when taking home a new console at launch night.

Last edited:

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
MS no next gen exclusivity policy will affect multiplatform third party games on PS5 as much as it will affect Series X, if it's enforced on third parties.

I wonder if it will make devs that want to push the envelope to go exclusive on PS5/PC, or at least make a moneyhat more attractive or less costly for Sony.

I think it will all depend if MS will allow third party devs to target whatever platform they decide from the start. If in the first 1 or 2 years MS mandates that every game on Xbox Series X runs on Xbox One I can see a few devs going PC/PS5 only regardless of the appeal of a larger player base.

Anyone knows if MS decision is just for their studios? I hope it is.
Just their studios. Nobody can enforce 3rd party devs unless some form of exclusive deal is formed.

Deleted member 15973

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just their studios. Nobody can enforce 3rd party devs unless some form of exclusive deal is formed.
I think companies will make next gen exclusives quicker than previous generation. The earliest 3rd party next gen game I can think of is Arkham Knight which released around 18 months into the generation.

JJD

Oct 25, 2017

Then I'm OK with it, even if a little disappointed. It's sad because MS invested a lot on some promising studios but they will not reach their full potential compromising to run on old hardware. Thankfully it will be only for a few years.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
When the PS2 first released, I was in Heaven with games like Smugglers Run, Midnight Club, and yes even Madden at the time.

I Couldn't believe I was playing those types of games on my TV at home.

If yall are genuine about this question/topic, watch a few minutes of both of these videos.

Maybe some have never had this feeling when taking home a new console at launch night.

This is giving me so much nostalgia right now. Madden was my first PS2 game, then SSX. Didn't the PS1 version get made by another team? Anyway, so many one hand catches in Madden 2001, the intro song is burned into my brain, and I played so much of this in marathon sessions with my uncle and brother.

R.I.P. Gameday, I was a Gameday fan, then Madden PS2 hit with Gameday fumbling the transition to PS2.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I'm not doubting you, it's just that I don't see it happening quickly but I'm all for developers moving forward. I have a pair of M.2 drives and one SSD.
I agree, it won't be over night for every single PC port.

It's just that in every thread like this someone brings up the Steam hardware survey and implies that developers won't turn their backs on all of the non-enthusiasts who have weak GPUs, quad core CPUs, or slow HDDs, because they are the majority.

I am here to point to the history that says, they always have, and they always will abandon those who can't or choose not to keep up.

Bitch Pudding

Oct 25, 2017
Would you have ignored the PS5 if they took Microsofts approach and Microsoft had Series X exclusives day one? Be honest.

i think that question should he asked for anyone. It isn't intended to defend Microsofts approach but rather just how relevant this latest info really is.

some here, including myself, already answered your question, saying their main reason to switch / upgrade are next gen exclusive games.
Said games need a certain quality, too, of course. Not really interested in tech demos like The Order or Ryse.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
Those were all bullshit things from a Microsoft that looks nothing like it does today.
a new CEO
Open source contributing
A new Xbox team
A lot more first party studios
Publishing some games on Switch
Customer focused services and features (Game Pass, refunds, gifting, being able to buy games which are part of a subscription for cheaper)
Play Anywhere
Cross play
Keeping Minecraft everywhere
Backwards compatibility at no extra cost
XboxOne X with free X patches

None of this shit would have been done under the previous team.
Compare that to your points above and tell me they are bad things today

Exactly, most people realised that MS as a whole company have made some sweeping changes in the way they operate since about 7 years ago.

All of the changes above don't happen under Mattrick and Ballmer but they illustrate the clear change in course under Nadella and Spencer.

Some people don't want to be convinced.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
I can trust Sony and Nintendo not to break the industry, because it's their bread and butter at this point. MS is the rich kid here, MS has a tendency of breaking everything with experimenting to find "the next big thing", great idea, business management books 101, but they're so care free and haphazard.

Remember when you could buy MS Office, then use it on a pc?
Now look at Office 365? Subscription based. MS will hike up prices tremendously for Gamepass if their idea catches on and they lead next gen. And if they had their way in 2013, you would probably be paying for games per a single profile on console today.
if MS gains number One market share next gen, if they dictate the way foward...
I know I personally didn't contribute to the games industry destruction next gen but whoever is ok with their ideas and blindly eats what they say today without wanting to figure out their angle and why they do what they do are part of what will be, if they succeed.

The Office 365 subscription model you talk of is called Software as a Service and every major software distrubutor does this.

It's literally the story of software revenue over the last decade and not distinct to Microsoft.

A question: I understand you distrust Microsoft based on their actions earlier in the previous decade.

But is there a platform holder you do trust? Why?

Majora's Mask

Oct 26, 2017
What's funny to me is that the episode of Kotaku Splitscreen being discussed here is from more than a month ago, lmao.

If more of you would listen to that show there would be more threads like this. Jason throws a scoop here and there every once in a while. I think the topic at hand is not really worth discussing, imo. Better to wait to Jason's report of the PS5 lineup.

And regardless if Jason says something threadworthy or not, the podcast is fantastic and everybody should listen to it.

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
Then I'm OK with it, even if a little disappointed. It's sad because MS invested a lot on some promising studios but they will not reach their full potential compromising to run on old hardware. Thankfully it will be only for a few years.
I think understandable for MS. Most of the studios that they have acquired have been near the end of the gen and it's not reasonable for them to release software near the launch of the next gen consoles. Most of the games that were made by their prior studios on the other hand started as XBO games. I think if they were given the chance to choose, they would have made exclusive games at launch as well. They're just doing the best with what they're dealt with.

AkIRA_22

Oct 29, 2017
There's no way on earth that Hellblade 2 is cross gen. No. Way. IMO of course both were going to have generation exclusives. Just the way games access storage will be different enough to have difficulty having PS5/SX games play nice on PS4/XO.

Bitch Pudding

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, though. I'll be avoiding TLOU2 on PS4 since this is a guarantee.

Actually this is the biggest of all questions for me: Are games like TLOU2 just run in native BC mode on PS5 and that's it (with or without Boost mode like with the PS4 Pro), or are they going to get a special treatment?
If so, how is that special treatment going to look like? A special PS5 edition / "remaster" which you obviously have to pay for? Or will they get some kind of boost patch / add-on, e.g. a high-res texture pack, and if yes, will it be available for free or for a fee?

I'm curious because my PS4 backlog is filled with games like RDR2, Horizon, Far Cry 5 and so many more I already own but barely played so far that this is what could me trigger to switch to PS5 day 1, even if the day 1 next gen exclusives turn out not to be my thing.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
To be fair, with sport games it's more:
- one made from the ground up for the new generation
- other is the latest skin of a game made 2 or 3 years ago

So you feel a different company could have developed an engine from the ground up for the PS1, that could have looked close to that PS2 Launch title? Because we had WAAAAAAAAY more Football titles those years because the NFL licence was not exclusive to EA. And none of those football games came close to looking like that. Or any other game from a different genre.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Office 365 subscription model you talk of is called Software as a Service and every major software distrubutor does this.

It's literally the story of software revenue over the last decade and not distinct to Microsoft.

A question: I understand you distrust Microsoft based on their actions earlier in the previous decade.

But is there a platform holder you do trust? Why?

It's not a matter of who I trust and who I dont trust, it's a matter of who has given me most reasons to distrust them.
Personally, if you read my previous posts, you should agree, no one should be giving them the benefit of the doubt.

Now they aim to make the industry unsustainable. I imagine Sony and Ninty will do the same 5 years down the line if MS is successful today.

So think ahead, a world with three game subscriptions from the big 3.

And a new battles for 3rd party exclusives. Want Madden? Exclusive to Xbox subs model.
Want Fifa? You can only play it on PlayStation subs model.
Want Tekken? Want Final Fantasy? A Each will sell exclusiveity to a certain of the Big 3.

Pity gamers are always so focused in the "now", they dont see that 99% of the time, they're the cause of negative aspects in the industry, by blindly eating what they're given without seeing the endgame.

We're only after instant gratification as gamers, Too dumb to see the repercussions, or maybe too selfish to care, until the industry crashes again.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
To be fair, with sport games it's more:
- one made from the ground up for the new generation
- other is the latest skin of a game made 2 or 3 years ago

That's correct. 2K games did it like that back in 2013 and the results were amazing (see below).
In general, sports games are (IMO) the best "show off" games for new consoles. People have a mental image of how a sporting event looks in real life or on TV. If they see a next gen videogame that looks 5% more real than the last gen version, people notice it immediately clicks "I need a new console".
By contrast, I don't know how a Gears firefight or a Uncharted tomb looks in real life, so the difference between "late last gen" and "early next gen" games is less visible in action games.

2K14 Xbox 360

2K14 Xbox One

Dantendo

Oct 27, 2017
South Australia
Is it possible the MS games will be developed on series X and scaled back for One/One X?

I just can't see them not using the new Forza as a technical showpiece at launch by being an upscaled Xbox One title.

Bitch Pudding

Oct 25, 2017
Is it possible the MS games will be developed on series X and scaled back for One/One X?

Obviously. No one seriously doubts that.
The question is if the required consideration of XBOX One (S) is going to limit early gen XBOX games (compared what could have been possible if the same game was ONLY developed for the Series X).

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I've just gone and read the quote again. He literally says at xo19 that the games for the next year,2 years will work up and down the stack. That is one year after the series x launch. I respect John lineman comments all comments about cpu etc holding things back are true. I'm not denying any of that. I'm just saying having one year of games that target xbox one specs cranked upto 100 on a series x is not bad at all imo.

Just give me good games.

Last edited:

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Obviously. No one seriously doubts that.
The question is if the required consideration of XBOX One (S) is going to limit early gen XBOX games (compared what could have been possible if the same game was ONLY developed for the Series X).
Actually wile it's possible for game design to be developed around Xbox Series X, gameplay, physics, logic, and CPU power, like the slow mount or bike in Days Gone it's far easier to base the game design with the lower common denominator in mind and scale up with spending the rest of the power on graphics, particles, and likely LOD radius. It could take the Dragon Quest XI route and have two versions made at the same time separate, but similar.

Ωλ7XL9

Oct 27, 2017
I get a positive feeling that Microsoft's strategy might actually help them get the market back from Sony starting next gen!

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
there are multiple phases/stages depending where you are in development, and how risk averse you are - third parties likely to want to maintain previous customers for as longs as is financially viable, first parties will be more willing to move on to push the new platform uptake

- you're nearly done with your current gen game. Release it and BC will ensure new console owners can play it.
- you're in the middle of development for previous console. Continue to release, if You have devkits in time consider updating for new console to get new Console owners to buy in. If not, they can play via BC
- older gen is still big. develop one engine, focus on new console and scale down the settings for older console. Release two versions of game
- older gen still viable but your new design is ambitious. Develop for new console, consider contracting a separate company to deveomanport for older consoles
- older gen is losing activity. Develop new franchises for new consoles, contract out/reskin older versions of yearly sports franchises while costs still allow a reasonable return on investment
- older gen no longer active - stop publishing on previous gen.

Ωλ7XL9

Oct 27, 2017
Please define "the market". And an explanation why this decision should give MS the edge towards Sony from a market perspective. Because I'm not creative enough to come up with one.

Well the whole play our games on any platform really pushes the Xbox brand across all channels, also having just one Xbox (Series X) which would allow you to play all Xbox games in it starting from OG 2002 Xbox really does sound like a perfect way to win back the audience. I am just saying that Microsoft is going to be powerful force to reckon with next gen.

alexbull_uk

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Good. Seems really odd to launch a new platform and not have anything exclusive for it for the people that are in on day one.

FeD

Oct 25, 2017
Please define "the market". And an explanation why this decision should give MS the edge towards Sony from a market perspective. Because I'm not creative enough to come up with one.

Well if all the Xbox exclusives are playable across the ecosystem + pc then they have a bigger market from the get go. They get to market the Series X version, while also being able to get it in the hands of people who cannot afford the jump to next gen. Like it's a pretty interesting proposition to be able to play Halo: Infinite on probably the Xbox SAD for around 125 bucks (the system + gamepass) at the end of the year. Get pulled into the ecosystem and then upgrade down the line.

But the big kicker is going to be the quality of the games. Like I love what MS did with Forza Horizon the past generation, for me those were system sellers. But I have to be honest Sony had more of the big blockbuster titles. But MS of course has realised that as well with their acquisitions. It's going to be real interesting times imo. I love that the big 3 now really go their own way. And honestly all the choices makes sense.

Bitch Pudding

Oct 25, 2017
Well the whole play our games on any platform really pushes the Xbox brand across all channels, also having just one Xbox (Series X) which would allow you to play all Xbox games in it starting from OG 2002 Xbox really does sound like a perfect way to win back the audience. I am just saying that Microsoft is going to be powerful force to reckon with next gen.

I agree that "Microsoft is going to be powerful force to reckon with". Because they already are.

What I don't agree is with is your explanation. Because their games are not available on "any platform". They are currently available on XBOX consoles and PC. And with XCloud you can stream them on some but not "all" other devices in the future. And Stadia just showed that streaming games is not a fast-selling item.
And you clearly overestimate the importance of BC to the pre-XBOX One / PS4 generations. Well, and you possibly underestimate how strong the PlayStation brand is, especially outside the US. There's A LOT which has to happen in order to make XBOX bigger than PlayStation within the next 6-7 years, like Sony totally overpricing the PS5 or neglecting streaming services which will become big eventually. I mean, even if MS manages to become the Netflix of gaming, nothing stops Sony with all their content to become the Disney+ one.

Ωλ7XL9

Oct 27, 2017
I agree that "Microsoft is going to be powerful force to reckon with". Because they already are.

What I don't agree is with is your explanation. Because their games are not available on "any platform". They are currently available on XBOX consoles and PC. And with XCloud you can stream them on some but not "all" other devices in the future. And Stadia just showed that streaming games is not a fast-selling item.
And you clearly overestimate the importance of BC to the pre-XBOX One / PS4 generations. Well, and you possibly underestimate how strong the PlayStation brand is, especially outside the US. There's A LOT which has to happen in order to make XBOX bigger than PlayStation within the next 6-7 years, like Sony totally overpricing the PS5 or neglecting streaming services which will become big eventually. I mean, even if MS manages to become the Netflix of gaming, nothing stops Sony with all their content to become the Disney+ one.

I am not underestimating the PlayStation brand, no sir. All I am saying is Xbox is going into next gen with lot more positive messaging and optimism than they did last gen!

Bitch Pudding

Oct 25, 2017
I am not underestimating the PlayStation brand, no sir. All I am saying is Xbox is going into next gen with lot more positive messaging and optimism than they did last gen!

This remains to be seen. While I think GamePass is an awesome service it's nothing "new". It should already have given a sales momentum for the XBOX One but if US and UK sales are any indication (they are of course) that didn't happen.

They also already kinda botched up the naming, there is/was confusion about Lockhart's existence and reason d'être, and the latest announcement, well, my perception is that it wasn't perveived as a "positive message" by most people, not only here on Era. Probably an interesting topic for a poll at some point.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017

It's not going to impact third parties because Microsoft cannot tell them what platforms to support. If there are cross gen Series X games from third parties it will be because those developers / publishers decided to do it.

afrodubs

Oct 27, 2017
The box could be the most powerful in the world, but if the software doesn't push it and show it.... Then what's the point?

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017

But MS strategy is the opposite of that, though. They're not pushing next gen consoles like Sony does with exclusive games, on the contrary. They are not trying to win back people that went to Sony, but expand the market through Gamepass to people that play on PC, phones etc

If I had to guess I think the install base regarding consoles at the end of next gen will look pretty similar to theone at the end of this gen (120M vs 50M), with most people staying in their current ecosystem. Growth will come from people playing games fom other platforms (PC, TV, mobile etc..) although it won't be as big as some expect, as there will be lot of competition in that space

For sure. But as I say they won't compete vs Sony head to head, but deploy a diffrent strategy with different goals, which I think is the smart thing to do

Last edited: