• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

dskzero

Oct 30, 2019
Opposites attract.

The exact opposite of Microsoft's strategy.

Sony has the right strategy.
I'd like to know people's opinion on this.

I think it's not right or wrong, it's a question of different approaches. Microsoft is pretty much putting all of their eggs on the Gamepass ecosystem and considering the ussual idea that consoles are sold at a loss, it might pay off big time.

EDIT: Nevermind, reading the thread.

GreenEarth

alt account
Banned
Oct 24, 2019
The box could be the most powerful in the world, but if the software doesn't push it and show it.... Then what's the point?
Yep. It's actually really amazing that only after Microsoft said they will not have next-gen exclusives at launch a bunch of people started parroting that the idea of only getting cross-gen games at launch and not a single exclusive is perfectly fine, when in 2013-14 cross-gen games were very much rightfully hated on.

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna

I think it's not right or wrong, it's a question of different approaches. Microsoft is pretty much putting all of their eggs on the Gamepass ecosystem and considering the ussual idea that consoles are sold at a loss, it might pay off big time.

PS5 day one buyers like me can be happy with Sony's way and costumers who wait with a next gen purchase will probably prefer the MS way.

Deleted member 15973

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So happy I'm on the light side (Microsoft). Hope this time we get them.
Xnec5Q.gif

convo

Oct 25, 2017
Obviously. No one seriously doubts that.
The question is if the required consideration of XBOX One (S) is going to limit early gen XBOX games (compared what could have been possible if the same game was ONLY developed for the Series X).
I am just thinking of the PS3 version of Shadow of Mordor and how much of a garbage fire that was. I expect Microsoft to do much better than that but who knows with third parties.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
MS no next gen exclusivity policy will affect multiplatform third party games on PS5 as much as it will affect Series X, if it's enforced on third parties.

I wonder if it will make devs that want to push the envelope to go exclusive on PS5/PC, or at least make a moneyhat more attractive or less costly for Sony.

I think it will all depend if MS will allow third party devs to target whatever platform they decide from the start. If in the first 1 or 2 years MS mandates that every game on Xbox Series X runs on Xbox One I can see a few devs going PC/PS5 only regardless of the appeal of a larger player base.

Anyone knows if MS decision is just for their studios? I hope it is.
That policy only affects Microsoft's first-party games. Third-party games are free to do whatever they want.

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
Generations are a thing of the past. What next-gen means anyway? Why should we categorize games on gens? New hardware gets released all the time.At launch Sony will have the edge but in 6-7 years you will see how Microsoft got it right.

Bitch Pudding

Oct 25, 2017
Generations are a thing of the past. What next-gen means anyway? Why should we categorize games on gens? New hardware gets released all the time.At launch Sony will have the edge but in 6-7 years you will see how Microsoft got it right.
Why do we have to wait 6-7 years in order to see if MS' approach of not launching 1P exlusives for their next gen console within the first 1-2 years?

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Lockhart could raise the same questioning for thir-parties, but it's too early to figure how precisely.
The older systems would still be a bottleneck in terms of CPU & the lack of SSDs as the standard. It's not just about graphics. My point is that everything Microsoft said regarding their games still coming to XB1 for the next year or two only pertains to their first-party efforts.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
Also I just realised. If there arent going to be any exclusives what is the point in getting a 500$ console if you have an Xbox One X.

As in Xbox One X will play those games at 4k/30-60fps.
The difference being Series X supporting faster loading and RTX.
That is assuming it's about scaling up and down, without removing gameplay features.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
Also I just realised. If there arent going to be any exclusives what is the point in getting a 500$ console if you have an Xbox One X.

As in Xbox One X will play those games at 4k/30-60fps.
The difference being Series X supporting faster loading and RTX.
That is assuming it's about scaling up and down, without removing gameplay features.

There may not be much of a point. However I don't expect price drops to happen on the new consoles as quickly as they did before, and if you plan on selling your One X towards a XSX, you'll get the most value selling it this year instead of 2 years from now.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The older systems would still be a bottleneck in terms of CPU & the lack of SSDs as the standard. It's not just about graphics. My point is that everything Microsoft said regarding their games still coming to XB1 for the next year or two only pertains to their first-party efforts.
Absolutely, what Booty said only concerns there line-up. But in the meantime that I agree to not dramatise - better play a good enhanced XB1 game than a crappy native PS5 one - or to not import the debate everywhere, like with Lockhart people can't respond to concerns, trollific or not, just by using the magic word "scaling". I guess being so close to reveal with so piecemeal informations doesn't help.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
I don't get how this is Anti-Consumer.

Sny releasing exclusive PS5 Games is as Anti-Consumer as Nintendo releasing games only on Switch.
Don't get that reasoning.

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
Why do we have to wait 6-7 years in order to see if MS' approach of not launching 1P exlusives for their next gen console within the first 1-2 years?
Because MS strategy is not about exclusives, it's about going to smoother transition instead of generational leap. They will gradually phase out one S, then one X while they will keep bringing new hardware. Right now most people are used to the idea of generational jumps but in 6-7 years people may prefer the new model.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'll say one thing. I bet when matt booty did that interview in 2019 and said one to two years he didnt expect it to turn into.

"Series x will never have exclusives, sony will...they are the bestest" and it will turn into this war across the internet. You literally cant say anything without it being blown up to extremes.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
MS no next gen exclusivity policy will affect multiplatform third party games on PS5 as much as it will affect Series X, if it's enforced on third parties.

I wonder if it will make devs that want to push the envelope to go exclusive on PS5/PC, or at least make a moneyhat more attractive or less costly for Sony.

I think it will all depend if MS will allow third party devs to target whatever platform they decide from the start. If in the first 1 or 2 years MS mandates that every game on Xbox Series X runs on Xbox One I can see a few devs going PC/PS5 only regardless of the appeal of a larger player base.

Anyone knows if MS decision is just for their studios? I hope it is.

All they've said is 1st party games that launch between then [nov 2019] and about two years after later will support their multiple hardware options.

senpai

Oct 28, 2017
Then don't? Your PS4 is still working and Sony is releasing games on it this year still.

They are getting Dreams, FF7:RE, TLOU and GOT.
Can you remind me what XONE exclusive games will release this year that are on pare with the games i just listed?

"hey boy, play these games not these new ones" very customer friendly indeed...But give me another $500 then you good to go
At least , i am sure i can play Halo Infinite on my X and free with gamepass...

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
"hey boy, play these games not these new ones" very customer friendly indeed...

Next you're going to complain that they're not giving their games away for free lol.

"You want to make money? That's not consumer friendly!"

Innovation in technology is customer friendly. You get more ambitious games, games that couldn't be made previously.

At least , i am sure i can play Halo Infinite on my X and free with gamepass...

So we shouldn't have new consoles anymore because you bought a console once?

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2018
pc gamers should cry then...

Not if they like Xbox first party games for a couple of years it seems but games build around having actual powerful CPU's and an SSD will have their minimum requirements increase to meat those demands for PC games just like we have already seen Star Citizen demand of those who want to play it without it turning into a slideshow regardless if you are running a 2080ti but not having a SSD.

Deleted member 4247

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anything else would deeply shock me. Sony's first party is a major selling point for them, in a way it isn't quite for MS.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017

There is no right or wrong and it completely depends how you look at it.

If you look at it from a technical standpoint and want the industry and tech to move forward, Sony is the way to go. Also if you're an early adopter and planning on buying a next gen console around launch, PS5 is the best option most likely.

If you're planning to stick to an Xbox One S/X coming years, you're most likely happy you can play all Microsoft games during that period.

GreenEarth

alt account
Banned
Oct 24, 2019
I'll say one thing. I bet when matt booty did that interview in 2019 and said one to two years he didnt expect it to turn into.

"Series x will never have exclusives, sony will...they are the bestest" and it will turn into this war across the internet. You literally cant say anything without it being blown up to extremes.
Defensive much? Where exactly is his statement being turned into what you suggest?

People are reacting to precisely what he said and are not happy with what he said for the immediate future of XSX. That's all.

senpai

Oct 28, 2017
Not if they like Xbox first party games for a couple of years it seems but games build around having actual powerful CPU's and an SSD will have their minimum requirements increase to meat those demands for PC games just like we have already seen Star Citizen demand of those who want to play it without it turning into a slideshow regardless if you are running a 2080ti but not having a SSD.

it's just one example. i can play most of the games on my 970gtx build...as i understad , ms has same strategy for new console...Some games wont play on older consoles 1 or 2 years later (first parties)...3rd party devs may develop Xbsx exc games still, we dont know

Dec 8, 2018
You're confusing consumer with "enthusiast" I think.

I would think most people spending a couple of hundred dollars within the first year of a console release to be "enthusiast" and the that would mean the first millions of consumers will be just that.

To me catering to the wants of those millions on day one and creating games that takes full advantage of the hardware instead of letting those millions who decide to be early adopters wait for more to transition over before their own studios to do the same seems like far more pro consumer move.

senpai

Oct 28, 2017
I would think most people spending a couple of hundred dollars within the first year of a console release to be "enthusiast" and the that would mean the first millions of consumers will be just that.

To me catering to the wants of those millions on day one and creating games that takes full advantage of the hardware instead of letting those millions who decide to be early adopters wait for more to transition over before their own studios to do the same seems like far more pro consumer move.

lets say , 1 million vs 70 millions....which one is consumer move ?

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland

ANe03kI.jpg

I also completely agree with what dark1x is saying.

Sony will have 1st party games that take advantage of Zen 2 at launch. while Microsoft won't until end of 2021 at the soonest, maybe not until 2022.

Jaguar needs to die.