• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Dec 8, 2018
it's just one example. i can play most of the games on my 970gtx build...as i understad , ms has same strategy for new console...Some games wont play on older consoles 1 or 2 years later (first parties)...3rd party devs may develop Xbsx exc games still, we dont know

And it will be the same for every game going forward that is build around an SSD it's just that Star Citizen currently the only real "next gen" game with those as a minimum spec. Your 970 might be enough for some games build around next gen hardware with settings and resolution turn down but unless you have a ssd as well you won't be able to play them regardless how much you turn the settings down.

And we are in a thread about Sony first party and how they compared to Xbox will have exclusives FIRST party games available day one that is fact and third party next gen is at this point only speculation.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
"hey boy, play these games not these new ones" very customer friendly indeed...But give me another $500 then you good to go
At least , i am sure i can play Halo Infinite on my X and free with gamepass...

Lol nice spin.

Lol how is a game coming out this year not new? What the hell are you talking about? Sony is going all out this year, bringing some of the most awaited titles to the PS4. They can go next gen only because people that don't upgrade still have plenty of new Games to choose from to play.

Imagine MS would do the same. What exclusive games could a XONE user play? Most game announced recently are Cross-Gen titles.

I'm not saying MS approach is bad. It'S far from that.

Oct 26, 2017
An enthusiast isn't a consumer!? Aren't we all consumers!? What are you talking about? There's a shit ton of people waiting for the PS5 And it's exclusives lol!

I would think most people spending a couple of hundred dollars within the first year of a console release to be "enthusiast" and the that would mean the first millions of consumers will be just that.

To me catering to the wants of those millions on day one and creating games that takes full advantage of the hardware instead of letting those millions who decide to be early adopters wait for more to transition over before their own studios to do the same seems like far more pro consumer move.

A pro-consumer move is one that has the smallest financial impact on the customers. In this scenario, that would be Microsoft's approach as it caters to existing customers, and also provides fairly cheap points of entry for potential new customers (E.g If they want to play the newest iteration of Halo but don't yet have an Xbox, they can do so on the Xbox One S which is significantly cheaper than the series X will be).

Now, if your argument is that Sony's approach would be more pro-consumer because by gating their software to specific hardware you can get a higher overall-quality product, there is merit to that argument in principle but it's really not applicable in this scenario due to the vast amounts of money involved. It's totally fine to say that it's better for you as an enthusiast and that getting the best possible game for the hardware is what you care about the most, but it's definitely not what is "best" for the average consumer.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Actually this is the biggest of all questions for me: Are games like TLOU2 just run in native BC mode on PS5 and that's it (with or without Boost mode like with the PS4 Pro), or are they going to get a special treatment?
If so, how is that special treatment going to look like? A special PS5 edition / "remaster" which you obviously have to pay for? Or will they get some kind of boost patch / add-on, e.g. a high-res texture pack, and if yes, will it be available for free or for a fee?

I'm curious because my PS4 backlog is filled with games like RDR2, Horizon, Far Cry 5 and so many more I already own but barely played so far that this is what could me trigger to switch to PS5 day 1, even if the day 1 next gen exclusives turn out not to be my thing.
Im thinking that Sony will update certain games with a patch for free so anyone who already owns the games can just pop it in the PS5 and get some benefits.

Remasters made sense previously because of the lack of BC but now that you will be able to buy PS4 games on the PS5 PSN store and just play them there and then, it makes sense to encourage people to either keep engaged with the platform with games they already own or for new customers to be able to buy older games and get an even better experience.

Smaller cost than releasing a whole new version, creates good will, improves sales of older titles.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
And when I thought darkx1 would put some reason in this discussion...it didn't.

So true. His points are all valid. I just dont have a problem with launch titles that rarely push the extremes of gameplay and design over shiny graphics.

Now if the series x is entering 2022 with no dedicated pc and series x exclusives, that is extremely bad.

ANe03kI.jpg

I also completely agree with what dark1x is saying.

Sony will have 1st party games that take advantage of Zen 2 at launch. while Microsoft won't until end of 2021 at the soonest, maybe not until 2022.

Jaguar needs to die.

Agree 200%. Burn the jaguar!

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
I like Microsoft's approach more
Me too because I mainly play on PC and would only buy console for (good) exclusives. But if I have the chance to save money by not buying a console I don't see much value in (except for a few exclusive) I'm pretty happy. I also think that games should always be available on more than one platform and should enjoyed by more people.

Dec 8, 2018
lets say , 1 million vs 70 millions....which one is consumer move ?

First Sony is probably going to sell 10-15 million consoles before demand and supply is even met for the new consoles in the first year if the current generation is any indication. Second the people that invest in new hardware have as much right to have their expectations met and the product used to its full capabilities at day one as people that don't want to make the transition and it's not like Xbox is not going to do the exact same thing and cut off their users it's just a year or so later so the exact same thing is going to happen just later but those investing in Xbox hardware at launch will just have to wait a year for their first party developers to take advantage of the new hardware.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
My question is...will Sony also have cross gen titles as well as exclusives?
Of course they will, they always do because Sony never drops support of older consoles for at least a year or two This is what's odd about some of the reaction here and not once has anyone mentioned the last time a 1st party game by Sony that came out at launch that really amazed us and was exclusive to the new hardware.

Going by the PS3 to PS4 transition MLB will be cross-gen for a while and you might also see the indie type games they publish being cross-gen, and maybe the odd one out like how LBP3 was cross-gen but I for sure wouldn't expect any big AAA hitters to be cross-gen.
What was the last big AAA game by Sony 1st party had at launch? Killzone Shadowfall was very forgettable. Sony usually saves the big AAA games for awhile after release of the new platform.

Deleted member 57361

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 2, 2019
First-party? Probably. My bet is the MP project from Naughty Dog and games from the indie division. AAA will just move to PS5. This games also have a job to build a library for the console, so when people really starts the transition, there'll be lots of new games there for them.

Dec 8, 2018
A pro-consumer move is one that has the smallest financial impact on the customers. In this scenario, that would be Microsoft's approach as it caters to existing customers, and also provides fairly cheap points of entry for potential new customers (E.g If they want to play the newest iteration of Halo but don't yet have an Xbox, they can do so on the Xbox One S which is significantly cheaper than the series X will be).

Now, if your argument is that Sony's approach would be more pro-consumer because by gating their software to specific hardware you can get a higher overall-quality product, there is merit to that argument in principle but it's really not applicable in this scenario due to the vast amounts of money involved. It's totally fine to say that it's better for you as an enthusiast and that getting the best possible game for the hardware is what you care about the most, but it's definitely not what is "best" for the average consumer.

Xbox will cut of all their current gen probably only a year later so the exact same thing is gonna happen for their customers it's just delayed and the early adopters instead of getting their hardware used to its full capabilities by developers day one will have to wait a year or two before Xbox provides those games.

Stook

Oct 30, 2017
And it will be the same for every game going forward that is build around an SSD it's just that Star Citizen currently the only real "next gen" game with those as a minimum spec. Your 970 might be enough for some games build around next gen hardware with settings and resolution turn down but unless you have a ssd as well you won't be able to play them regardless how much you turn the settings down.

And we are in a thread about Sony first party and how they compared to Xbox will have exclusives FIRST party games available day one that is fact and third party next gen is at this point only speculation.

Because every next gen console has an ssd, i think you're going to see a lot of future PC games built around ssd.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Xbox will cut of all their current gen probably only a year later so the exact same thing is gonna happen for their customers it's just delayed and the early adopters instead of getting their hardware used to its full capabilities by developers day one will have to wait a year or two before Xbox provides those games.

I doubt they'll just cut them off entirely. A year after launch we'll have AAA exclusives to the next gen, but I can certainly see some XGS titles being launched on the XB1 platform for a while yet. And why not, if they're not hardware limited.

Dec 8, 2018
What was the last big AAA game by Sony 1st party had at launch? Killzone Shadowfall was very forgettable. Sony usually saves the big AAA games for awhile after release of the new platform.

This is the first generation we're they are moving from one x86 to another x86 machine and there is nothing close to the development difference that the previous generation switches came with.

There is very good reasons to assume this transition and getting as much as possible out of the new hardware will be the easiest by far from that fact alone and there is also the interview about how PS5 is very easy to develop for.

Oct 26, 2017
the early adopters instead of getting their hardware used to its full capabilities by developers day one will have to wait a year or two before Xbox provides those games.

Even if that were true (Which I don't think it will be), how would that be less pro-consumer? The product is accessible in multiple configurations at a significantly more affordable pricepoint.

Dec 8, 2018
Because every next gen console has an ssd, i think you're going to see a lot of future PC games built around ssd.

It will basically be a minimum requirement in a year or two for any AAA game that is basically guaranteed. How fast that PC SSD's needs to be will also interesting to see and how that requirement might increase during this console gen.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Im sure the games will look great. There is really no need for all this next gen anxiety im seeing here until we see the launch games on both systems in action.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017

Sony's approach is more 'pro consumer' if that consumer is buying a PS5 because its providing them potentially better software which will benefit their purchase. But is 'anti consumer' if that consumer has a PS4 and doesn't yet want to buy a PS5.

MS' approach is more 'pro consumer' if that consumer already has an Xbox or PC and wants to continue to play MS games without committing to a new box. But it is 'anti consumer' if that consumer is buying an XSX because they are getting potentially less quality support for the box they've just bought.

Dec 8, 2018
Even if that were true (Which I don't think it will be), how would that be less pro-consumer? The product is accessible in multiple configurations at a significantly more affordable pricepoint.

And Sony's products released this year up until the launch of PS5 will be playable on both the PS4 and PS5. PlayStation decided to cut of their current gen at launch for at least some first party games and Xbox a year later without any first party next gen only games for early adopters.

Halo is no different than probably Sony first party games such as TloU2 and GoT that will recive next gen makeup to look even more impressive but they are no next gen games and won't take full advantage of the hardware.

I don't know in how many ways I have to explain this.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Of course they will, they always do because Sony never drops support of older consoles for at least a year or two This is what's odd about some of the reaction here and not once has anyone mentioned the last time a 1st party game by Sony that came out at launch that really amazed us and was exclusive to the new hardware.

There's nothing odd about being excited for next gen exclusive games, on the contrary. What would be odd would be not to be excited by those games.

But in a month or so we'll have a list of those games and we'll see how is the reaction of the public. I'm willing to bet that is gonna be bonkers, and rightly so :)

Dinobot

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Not gonna lie, having first party stuff from MS being built with the Jaguar CPU's as the minimum spec is quite disappointing.

Makes me wonder how far they can push stuff like AI, physics, etc.

Are we just gonna get last gen games at 4k60 or 4k30 with Ray Tracing?

ToadPacShakur

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
That policy only affects Microsoft's first-party games. Third-party games are free to do whatever they want.

That's how fucking stupid/crazy these threads have become.. Some people think it's an actual policy of enforcement by Microsoft for both first and third party, rather than just "hey Microsoft has a few first party games that are coming out on their next gen console that can also work on the current platform"

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Probably, they've even released old gen exclusives for the PS2 and PS3 in the past, so no reason to assume whatever PS4 games aren't out by PS5 won't still release on PS4, just unlike God of War 2 (PS2) and GT6 they'll be cross-gen, not exclusive to the older systems.

Oct 26, 2017
Sony's approach is more 'pro consumer' if that consumer is buying a PS5 because its providing them potentially better software which will benefit their purchase. But is 'anti consumer' if that consumer has a PS4 and doesn't yet want to buy a PS5.

MS' approach is more 'pro consumer' if that consumer already has an Xbox or PC and wants to continue to play MS games without committing to a new box. But it is 'anti consumer' if that consumer is buying an XSX because they are getting potentially less quality support for the box they've just bought.

I don't disagree, but surely you have to agree that overall the Microsoft approach is more consumer friendly than Sony's due to the substantially larger reach, and seeing as they were talking in absolutes stating that generation-locked software was more pro-consumer was just nonsense.

ImaginaShawn

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not gonna lie, having first party stuff from MS being built with the Jaguar CPU's as the minimum spec is quite disappointing.

Makes me wonder how far they can push stuff like AI, physics, etc.

Are we just gonna get last gen games at 4k60 or 4k30 with Ray Tracing?
Yes, for PC and PS5 as well for the first year or so. If you think differently then you are deluding yourself.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I don't disagree, but surely you have to agree that overall the Microsoft approach is more consumer friendly than Sony's due to the substantially larger reach, and seeing as they were talking in absolutes stating that generation-locked software was more pro-consumer was just nonsense.

no, my personal view lines up with Dark1x - I think when you buy into a console you know the approx lifecycle and we've had 6-7 great years of PS4 support. I'm happy for Sony to switch focus to a new box.

As for MS - I honestly find it a bit odd them talking about keeping up support for XB1 when they haven't actually been that great at support over this generation (similarly with second half of 360 gen).

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
can we all just try and get along and look forward to the amazing games that will be made. I'm excited to see the Sony games that will push the system, I'm also excited to see how Halo looks on the series x.

I'm sure there will be great games across the board.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bought a PS4 only because of Bloodborne. Not sure if the Demon's Souls remake will be enough this time around.