• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
I just realised that given that this forum has a lot of love for FromSoftware and the Souls series, all it will take for most folks on here to buy a new console is a Demon's Souls remaster on launch day!

Me included, probably...

ImaginaShawn

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So God of War 2, Horizon 2, Spider-Man 2, etc are also releasing on PS4? 🤔
We don't know the launch dates for those games, I doubt all three are coming out within the first year of the PS5s life. If any of those games come out within the first year then that game will not take full advantage of the PS5, because it takes 3 to 4 years to develop a game, meaning it was started on PS4.

Oct 26, 2017
no, my personal view lines up with Dark1x - I think when you buy into a console you know the approx lifecycle and we've had 6-7 great years of PS4 support. I'm happy for Sony to switch focus to a new box.

I think you misunderstand me, I prefer the above, as you describe. What I was taking umbrage with was that the others were just flat out saying "X is more pro-consumer than Y", without clarifying as you did in your previous post.

The general, all encompassing more "pro-consumer" title simply has to be given to Microsoft because their intent is not restrict anyone from purchasing new software titles based on their hardware generation, which means it is beneficial and cheaper for a larger number of people than Sony's approach.

This is why I was saying they were confusing "consumer" with "enthusiast" because Microsoft's approach is likely not better for the enthusiast (Though personally I think it will be a negligible difference) for the reasons you outlined.

If the argument were limiting the "consumers" to being only those purchasing PS5/XSX, then yes, Microsoft's approach would be less consumer-friendly for the aforementioned reasons, but the fact of the matter is that current generation Xbox System owners will be included in the argument, and therefore due to their large numbers, Microsoft has a significantly more "pro-consumer" approach to the next generation than Sony.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
This proconsumer talk about the new Xbox is basically saying don't buy the system if you're not an enthusiast. It ain't going to do anything fancy except resolution, frame rate and load time.

Wait a couple of years for when it's on sale where there are next gen exclusive games.

Deleted member 2379

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So God of War 2, Horizon 2, Spider-Man 2, etc are also releasing on PS4? 🤔

Are all of those games releasing in the first year of PS5?

If so, I expect yes.

Sony isn't dumb enough to dump games that may sell 10M copies each on a platform with a 100M install base onto a platform with less than 5.

Considering the budget on those games Sony will never make their money back and will have essentially wasted those full development cycles.

Dinobot

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

If so, I expect yes.

Sony isn't dumb enough to dump games that may sell 10M copies each on a platform with a 100M install base onto a platform with less than 5.

Considering the budget on those games Sony will never make their money back and will have essentially wasted those full development cycles.
Well if that's the case that'll suck for me. I miss clean gen breaks.

Bitch Pudding

Oct 25, 2017
My question is...will Sony also have cross gen titles as well as exclusives?

I believe that only the games already announced will be cross-gen games. The rest? Not so much.

There's a reason Sony kept their gunpowder dry within the last two years with regards to new game announcements. Their 1st party efforts are all about pushing PS5 as THE go to next gen platform, so why waste resources on the old one? Pushing PS5 is Sony's absolute #1 task in 2020-21, not making as much money as possible with 1st party games.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2019

If so, I expect yes.

Both Horizon and Spider Man are rumor to be release in 2021.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
I hope that during PS Meeting they won't show any current-gen title (cross-gen is still current-gen and not going to matter). Just like PS Meeting 2013: only upcoming games, launch titles gameplay and some next-gen tech demos. Now I want more real time trailers and gameplay. Keep cross-gen BS reveals during E3.

Oct 25, 2017

If so, I expect yes.

I wouldn't expect all of them in the first year.

Even if they were/are, they will likely be PS5 only.

Those games are big enough to drive PS5 sales and still sell very well themselves on PS5.

A 100M+ install base =\= 100M+ active consoles.

Dec 8, 2018
We don't know the launch dates for those games, I doubt all three are coming out within the first year of the PS5s life. If any of those games come out within the first year then that game will not take full advantage of the PS5, because it takes 3 to 4 years to develop a game, meaning it was started on PS4.

Development is not tied to the current generation hardware what are you even talking about?

Developers don't even need a devkit to start development on next generation games those are basically only used later to finalize and get the game verified that it works.

If you don't know what you are talking about don't state things you don't know as facts.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
No it doesn't, not if they anticipated that the game would be next gen and so worked towards that. Obviously final specs wouldn't be available early on but they would have a rough idea to work with

GreenEarth

alt account
Banned
Oct 24, 2019
Im sure the games will look great. There is really no need for all this next gen anxiety im seeing here until we see the launch games on both systems in action.
So are you only interested in graphical advancements and basically just get the same games as now with a shiny new graphical paint on them? Not interested in CPU, I/O intensive advancements in game complexity, AI, physics, environment interaction, game world design etc. ?
First party studios have known the general next-gen specs roadmap for years come launch. They know them much earlier than third party.

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
This proconsumer talk about the new Xbox is basically saying don't buy the system if you're not an enthusiast. It ain't going to do anything fancy except resolution, frame rate and load time.

Wait a couple of years for when it's on sale where there are next gen exclusive games.

Why don't you just wait to see the games and then make a decision...

Dec 8, 2018

While I don't for a moment believe we will see all of those if some of them show up their goal is not simply to be profitable their main goal is just like Jim said to make people transition as fast as possible over to the new gen hardware. That is Sony's vision while Microsoft and Xbox vision and goal is not to sell hardware but to get people to use their services regardless of device.

So even if a horizon 2 have a budget that far exceeds it's earnings it don't need to be to be deemed less successful than the first one with how profitable that was.

However any launch game will have many years on the market and not just the initial sales of the console launch so it might still be profitable and even more so than a game released to a bigger user base it might just take a bit longer.

Last edited:

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

If so, I expect yes.

That's missing the point of first party software. They will use God of War 2 and Spider-Man 2 to drive PS5 adoption regardless of when they release or what the user base is. First party exclusives have always been more about selling the platform than individual unit sales.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018

If so, I expect yes.

Sorry bud but those games will probably never be on ps4, they are made to sell consoles not the other way around, you think Sony stops and thinks about the 80 million ps3 consoles when they developed sequels to a game like uncharted? No, because those people either upgraded or will upgrade to play on a shiny new box.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So are you only interested in graphical advancements and basically just get the same games as now with a shiny new graphical paint on them? Not interested in CPU, I/O intensive advancements in game complexity, AI, physics, environment interaction, game world design etc. ?

First party studios have known the general next-gen specs roadmap for years come launch. They know them much earlier than third party.

Apparently thats exactly what i said, thanks for putting words into my mouth so it fits your childish narrative. Easiest ignore in the world

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
No it doesn't, not if they anticipated that the game would be next gen and so worked towards that. Obviously final specs wouldn't be available early on but they would have a rough idea to work with

Yeah, I thought it was widely accepted that the lack of new game announcements the last couple of years was due to much of WWS shifting focus towards next gen development.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Yeah, I thought it was widely accepted that the lack of new game announcements the last couple of years was due to much of WWS shifting focus towards next gen development.
Exactly, for Sony to decide to not only not go to E3 but also come out and say "We will have an event once we actually have stuff to show" makes it clear that they have been working hard on PS5 games so they are ready for launch/launch window.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
They are getting Dreams, FF7:RE, TLOU and GOT.
Can you remind me what XONE exclusive games will release this year that are on pare with the games i just listed?

I suppose it was inevitable that this would devolve into platform warring.

most of these things you cite are quite easily scaled down between hardware generations
For example, the PS3 port of Tomb Raider didn't stop PC from getting TressFx that the consoles couldn't handle.

you actually typed 'CPU' up there like cross gen games won't take advantage of a more powerful CPU? Lol

plow

Oct 28, 2017
I suppose it was inevitable that this would devolve into platform warring.

most of these things you cite are quite easily scaled down between hardware generations
For example, the PS3 port of Tomb Raider didn't stop PC from getting TressFx that the consoles couldn't handle.

you actually typed 'CPU' up there like cross gen games won't take advantage of a more powerful CPU? Lol

How? We are talking about strategic decisions. Sony can go Next-Gen Only with the PS5 because they have enoug Heavy hitters this year for people that don't want to upgrade.

MS can't do that, that's why they have a different strategy which is amazing for an Xone owner.

But of course, as soon as someone posts an argument that goes against the own opinion its " platform warring", lol.

GreenEarth

alt account
Banned
Oct 24, 2019

TressFX is a graphical effect, it's not something that changes the game.
The things I mentioned fundamentally change the game and are definitely not easily scalable.

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
Considering the exclusives during the first year of the PS5, im prety sure the biggest titles and the ones pushing the console wil be the cross gen ones.

ShaiKhulud

Oct 27, 2017
Kazan, Russia
most of these things you cite are quite easily scaled down
Tell me, how you will scale down physics in next-gen GT/Forza? For example added variables will finally add proper aerodynamics and a ton of other aspects of a proper simulation.

That equals more body parts, more challenges (like driving without proper downforce because of the wind/temperatire), deeper customization and more flexible online in Sport mode.

You simply can't scale that. And that's an obvious example.

*old_man_yelling_at_cloud.jpg*

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
I just realised that given that this forum has a lot of love for FromSoftware and the Souls series, all it will take for most folks on here to buy a new console is a Demon's Souls remaster on launch day!

Me included, probably...

People will buy what they want to buy, of course. And all the power to us all. However, on one hand many are concerned about MS catering to what will be the previous generation, at the expense of the Series X - Halo Infinite etc.... On the other, a remaster is being labelled as a system seller.

I think that both strategies will be successful. Sony is doing what makes sense to an industry leader. MS is doing what they need to as a group that sold less that half the consoles, and need to retain users.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
How? We are talking about strategic decisions. Sony can go Next-Gen Only with the PS5 because they have enoug Heavy hitters this year for people that don't want to upgrade.

MS can't do that, that's why they have a different strategy which is amazing for an Xone owner.

But of course, as soon as someone posts an argument that goes against the own opinion its " platform warring", lol.

No. When you start listing games and going 'what does Xbox have to do to match that', that's veering into list warz.

You're also wrong about why Xbox is doing this, which is weird since it's Elementary and incredibly obvious. It's all about Gamepass. Microsoft wants Xbox customers to remain Gamepass subscribers. A key component of this is keeping the stream of games coming, and giving millions of slow adopters a steady stream of Gamepass games is key.

Sony can go Next-Gen Only with the PS5 because they have enoug Heavy hitters this year for people that don't want to upgrade.

Hilariously, you forget that all these 'heavy hitters' come out well before the PS5 becomes an option for preorder, let alone purchase. What does that have to do with 'people that don't want to purchase'?

Panic Freak

Oct 26, 2017
Xbox will cut of all their current gen probably only a year later so the exact same thing is gonna happen for their customers it's just delayed and the early adopters instead of getting their hardware used to its full capabilities by developers day one will have to wait a year or two before Xbox provides those games.

I can assure you that no game in year one will use either system to its fullest capabilities.

Deleted member 2379

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's missing the point of first party software. They will use God of War 2 and Spider-Man 2 to drive PS5 adoption regardless of when they release or what the user base is. First party exclusives have always been more about selling the platform than individual unit sales.
I get that, but you are missing the point around dev time and releases.

Why was TLOU2 not made PS5 exclusive? What about GoT? Wouldn't those move consoles?

Those games will likely release at best Holiday 2021 or likely after that date. They will be next gen exclusive and at that point in time MS will also be on next gen exclusive.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Hilariously, you forget that all these 'heavy hitters' come out well before the PS5 becomes an option for preorder, let alone purchase. What does that have to do with 'people that don't want to purchase'?

What do you mean? PS5 reveal in February. GoT coming summer and TLoU2 in April. Pretty sure we can pre-order close after the PS Meeting.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Tell me, how you will scale down physics in next-gen GT/Forza? For example added variables will finally add proper aerodynamics and a ton of other aspects of a proper simulation.

That equals more body parts, more challenges (like driving without proper downforce because of the wind/temperatire), deeper customization and more flexible online in Sport mode.

You simply can't scale that. And that's an obvious example.

*old_man_yelling_at_cloud.jpg*

www.polygon.com

Forza Horizon 2's Xbox 360 version is a 'different game' than on Xbox One

The Xbox 360 version of Forza Horizon 2 will be a different game than the Xbox One version and not a straight port; Instead the game will be a unique experience "inspired by the same ideas" as the...

Dec 8, 2018
I can assure you that no game in year one will use either system to its fullest capabilities.

It will be used as much as the developers can get out of it at the time but sure just as every gen they will be able to squeeze out more out of it at a later point with improved tools and knowledge.

Compared to a game that is also build around a CPU that was outdated in 2013 and a slow HDD however the system will definitely be pushed in a whole different way.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I wonder how likely it would be for 3rd parties to do this when that would shut out PS4, Xbox One, and the majority of PC owners in one fell swoop.
I could see some going exclusively next-gen sooner, especially for GaaS games that are meant to be supported for the rest of the generation.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
No. When you start listing games and going 'what does Xbox have to do to match that', that's veering into list warz.

You're also wrong about why Xbox is doing this, which is weird since it's Elementary and incredibly obvious. It's all about Gamepass. Microsoft wants Xbox customers to remain Gamepass subscribers. A key component of this is keeping the stream of games coming, and giving millions of slow adopters a steady stream of Gamepass games is key.

? You need to learn the basics of a discussion I didn't start list wars.I stated a fact. It's apparent that Microsoft isn't supporting the Xbox One the same way Sony is supporting the PS4 in it's last year. That's not list wars. If you don't want to accept that, than okay do as you please.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Couldn't preorder the PS4 until after E3.

You sure Sony will announce the price in February? I doubt that.

Okay, then you're right for TLoU. But I pre-ordered PS4 June 13th 2013. That's technically before summer so before GoT.

With that said: webshops nowadays tend to put products on their site as placeholders much faster nowadays. Hell, you can already pre-order PS5 in Sweden.

ShaiKhulud

Oct 27, 2017
Kazan, Russia
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I'm also curious to see what Microsoft will have coming in this no exclusive period between launch and 2022. A lot of their studios have recently released a game or are just about to, so there could be a long wait for any big AAA games from these studios. I guess there will be a lot of 3rd party and smaller 1st Party games filling the gap for the next few years.

Games before or at Series X launch.

Rare - Sea of Theives - 2018
Undead Labs - State of Decay 2 - 2018
Compulsion - We Happy Few - 2018
The Coalition - Gears 5 - 2019
Obsidian - The Outer Worlds - 2019
Moon Studio's - Ori 2 - 2020
Double Fine - Psychonauts 2 - 2020
Mojang - Mincraft Dungeons - 2020
InXile - Wasteland 3 - 2020
Ninja Theory - Bleeding Edge - 2020
343 - Halo Infinite - 2020 (Launch)

Games with no date yet.

Turn 10 - Forza ? - Launch ?
Playground - Fable ? - ?
Ninja Theory - Hellblade 2 - 2021 / 2022+ ?
The Initiative - ? - ?

Genio88

Banned
Jun 4, 2018
User Banned (1 Day): Portbegging; Prior Warnings for Portbegging
The sooner Sony give up their exclusives releasing them on PC the better

Dec 8, 2018
I get that, but you are missing the point around dev time and releases.

Why was TLOU2 not made PS5 exclusive? What about GoT? Wouldn't those move consoles?

Those games will likely release at best Holiday 2021 or likely after that date. They will be next gen exclusive and at that point in time MS will also be on next gen exclusive.

Because they don't need to be PS5 exclusives since they probably already have several already planned for the launch window. Why would they need like 5 first games to show of the new console and its capabilities?

Sony have a AAA exclusive basically for every quarter leading up to the release of PS5 this year and will probably have first party coupled with third party games for launch that is plenty. And the PS4 games will be playable and probably improved on the PS5 just like Halo.

They now have probably some of the most anticipated and best looking games made on the console to end the generation with a bang and simultaneously have real next gen games ready to go day one the new generation begins.