• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019
Bummer, but take as long as you need. The game can launch any day and outsell 99% of its competitors so I doubt they're worred about when to drop it. Something like Doom struggles with that a bit but I doubt this does.

Like always, if the game is great, no one remembers the delay it went through.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
the most expected of all the possibilities tbh.
Good, now Final Fantasy VII will be the undisputed king of March sales and Q1 2020
Only on one platform though, they'd still have PC/XBO/Switch.
Doom Eternal will struggle against Animal Crossing. And it was delayed indefinitely for switch btw

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
It's clearly because of the backlash ND got from no multiplayer upon release. After the quick follow up on what they're working on for multiplayer, I had a pretty strong feeling that they were going to delay the game to add in multiplayer. Nothing confirmed yet, of course, but that's my gut feeling.
Now watch people that complained about multiplayer now complain about the delay to add it.
As I have said before, TloU part 2 has always striked me as a ps5 title, I was really shocked when I saw the february date, the sooner we come to terms that this is ps5 the better for us people. It would really be wise business wise, a killer app as TloU2 as a launch title.
It's not though?...tlou1 also came right before ps4 launch.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
It's clearly because of the backlash ND got from no multiplayer upon release. After the quick follow up on what they're working on for multiplayer, I had a pretty strong feeling that they were going to delay the game to add in multiplayer. Nothing confirmed yet, of course, but that's my gut feeling.

And another one LOL. You honestly believe it takes a month or 2 to add a multiplayer to games? WOW

Desfrog

Oct 29, 2017
I'm sorry, but you are being way too generous here and hopeful. There absolutely will be remasters, there is wayyyy too much money to be made. TLOU2 will absolutely get a re-release on ps5 GOTY edition potential remaster.
I don't think so, with the original already being playable the market for a TLOU remaster is far smaller than the original on the PS4, especially as a lot of new PS4 players didn't own a PS3. PS4 Pro and Xbox One X give a good idea of what to expect.

Deleted member 5322

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it ain't for multiplayer, they've already said they were still kind of in experimentation mode with what they're doing and more or less implied it'll be a standalone thing

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That's fine with me, but I wonder how this can happen so soon after announcing the release date. Maybe Sony was pressuring ND to announce it but quickly realized the crunch would have been too high?

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think so, with the original already being playable the market for a TLOU remaster is far smaller than the original on the PS4, especially as a lot of new PS4 players didn't own a PS3. PS4 Pro and Xbox One X give a good idea of what to expect.

TLOU 2 will get a PS5 re-release, count on it.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
Tinfoilhat.gif

Games get delayed all the time, it's ok. Sure it was weird how it had a big release date announcement event. But hey, something they thought would be done could not be ready for Feb. Or maybe ND found tons of bugs and can't fix all of them in time.

Come on folks, this is quite literally the first time something like this has ever happened with the biggest title on a platform getting a firm release date to be delayed just a few weeks later. I am not saying that there is some disaster occurring anywhere here, just that this does point towards some communication issues and other potential things at a minimum when you consider that the head of Sony World Wide Studios just left/was pushed out recently too.

Naudyboy

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 6, 2019
This makes no sense, why hold a huge event and announce the game only to then delay it less than a month after? I know they're not afraid of any of the other releases during that time frame since TLOUII is in a league of its own; Regardless of when it releases it'll sell millions.

It just doesn't make sense that Naughtdog would announce the release date only to delay it a month after the announcement. It's not like anyone forced them to announce the game either. Something is iffy about this.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017

I'm gonna bookmark this post. I'm not guaranteeing a TLOU2 remastered, but we absolutely 100% will have remasters of game from this gen. It's been a gigantic money maker.

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
(If thIncluding their current project, Naughty Dogs three most recent games have all been subjected to delays. TLOU was delayed once, Uncharted 4 was delayed 3 times, and now TLOU2 has received it's first delay.

There's nothing wrong with delaying a game to improve quality and/or improve worker conditions, but this points to an issue ND/Playstation should look at regarding their Project Managers, Producers, and Marketing. It's now a trend to expect a delay for a ND game. They should evaluate their production timelines, and try to determine a better point at which they feel comfortable announcing a release date.

Hopefully with it only have a spring release window and not a firm date, they'll wait till much closer to release to annouce the actual date.

Deleted member 10726

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA
Are The Last Of Us games named like that to be meta about the fact that they're swan songs to the console they are being developed for?

Cause honestly that's cool as all hell, Naughty Dog did a great job ending the PS3 gen with such a fantastic game and I hope Part 2 will be just as good.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Probably for the best considering how crowded the schedule was. Just weird how soon the date got changed.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Eh, they can take all the time they need for both games. I'd rather have a polished game that's delayed than something that's rushed out.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
My guess is they would add some kind of MP aspect which was not part of the plan initially . Don't see any other reason

If they haven't already planned to release an MP component months ago, then they aren't going to magically develop one within 2-3 months. This is almost certainly not the reason (again, unless this was already in the roadmap and simply not announced yet).

I sincerely doubt that's their reasoning. They were well aware of the upcoming slate when they set this date in stone a month ago.

Why do you doubt it? It makes quite a bit of sense. Moving it out a month or two will afford them considerable market share, and they don't have to compete with their other flagship exclusive* FFVII:R. Sure, they knew the line-up when they set the release date, but they've also likely been following the metrics for both titles (buzz & preorder numbers) that factored in.

I would wager that it's sincerely a combination of both strategic planning & additional dev time requirements, but not exclusively one or the other.

Broadbandit

Oct 29, 2017
What if they wanted to get out of that packed month between Feb/March and give it just a bit more time in the oven? I'm cool with it.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, fuck that. I have no problems with the game taking longer but don't delay your game less than a month after announcing the date, specially in this case were they went radio silent for more than a year just to avoid this stuff. Only excuse I will accept is if they include MP day one.
Yes, they will create a huge multiplayer mode in 3 months and add it to their singleplayer game.
wow Sony why do you get 2 delays
You can't delay something that never had a release date. That's why they didn't announce the release date for GoT :P

Begaria

Oct 27, 2017
And another one LOL. You honestly believe it takes a month or 2 to add a multiplayer to games? WOW
Red Dead Redemption 2 single player release date = October 26, 2018
Red Dead Redemption 2 online (beta) release date = November 27, 2018

Apparently, it does only take one month.

There were multiple follow ups after the "no multiplayer at launch" from both Naughty Dog, and ex-Naughty Dog employees that the multiplayer team had been working on an online mode. They announced Factions at E3 2018. They've likely been working on it this entire time. It's pretty clear, following the evidence, that the online mode wasn't going to be ready at the same time as the single player. So, in order to deliver the "total package" (to some), they're going to delay the game in order to coincide with a multiplayer release.

Think clearly. Think logically.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
What if they wanted to get out of that packed month between Feb/March and give it just a bit more time in the oven? I'm cool with it.

Again there is no way this is the reasoning. It may be ultimately wise for them, but they knew the slate a few weeks ago when they announced a set in stone date. Do you think they just blindly announced a release date without considering this already?

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
Red Dead Redemption 2 single player release date = October 26, 2018
Red Dead Redemption 2 online (beta) release date = November 27, 2018

Apparently, it does only take one month.

There were multiple follow ups after the "no multiplayer at launch" from both Naughty Dog, and ex-Naughty Dog employees that the multiplayer team had been working on an online mode. They announced Factions at E3 2018. They've likely been working on it this entire time. It's pretty clear, following the evidence, that the online mode wasn't going to be ready at the same time as the single player. So, in order to deliver the "total package" (to some), they're going to delay the game in order to coincide with a multiplayer release.

Think clearly. Think logically.

WOW, do you actually believe RDRMP wasn't being worked on prior to that?! Are you serious?

iiicon

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The first quarter was already packed with big games I wanna buy so I'm not upset when one of those games is pushed out.

Status
Not open for further replies.