• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
It was a big feature when i got my first SSD 3 years ago

Good lord not this shitty argument again.

I'll believe it when I see it when it comes to "no load times."

That's the sort of thing I've been dreaming about for a decade. When we finally reach that standard it's going to be crazy. But I have a hard time believing we're that close on consoles. 🤔

I expect there to be load times but they will be significantly shorter and the devs will hone their skills of masking them evermore. I remember there being a patent about how data is prioritized and read would play to the strength of the SS storage (presumably integrated akin to certain apple products).

That said, I am a tad worried about how things will play out after 5 to 5.5 years on OG level HW.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
I hope it's true but I'll believe it when I see it.

As long as we're able to pre install everything I'll be good.

PS4 has certainly been better than PS3 in terms of that. So I'm hopeful for PS5

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. It can change the way that a game is designed (i.e. no more masking loading times behind long walks or mountain climbs).

I would expect that only PS5 exclusives could benefit from this as this feature isn't standard on PCs (and may not be on XBOX).

MS has already talked about how they're addressing loading as a major focus of Scarlett, we just don't have any details like Sony has released but I would expect it to be damn near the same.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Remember that rumor about Sony not communicating with 3rd party devs? feels kinda ironic now since it's apparently the opposite.

Xbox Live Mike

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
USA
I think this will make games more enjoyable. Game like, Bloodborne make me upset when I die (a lot) and have to stare at the long loading screens. I hope Xbox does something similar.

Prime2

Oct 25, 2017
Not surprised about MS remark most of the time we get some Sony info and leaks but barely anything for MS.

There was a time in the past everything MS did leaked nowadays they have a much better grasp on things. The Double Fine purchase comes to mind as I don't think anyone knew that was happening.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Well I kinda expect this to be the selling point tbh. I hope UHD Bluray woudl be as fast as a completely installed game on SSD when accessing data but I doubt that. The bestw ay will be always a game fully downloaded digitally but this gonna take a so much time to download for those with slow connections so it not gonna make a big difference anyway, unlss Sony packs the PS5 with fast internet subscription. XD

Deleted member 8688

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
One of the most underrated asects of PSNow is the ability to try a game instantly via streaming before committing to the download. Seriously feels like a step forward to have both of those options available and I expect that to be on a much wider selection of games next gen.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
That sounds like the same pitch given with the PS4, sans the zero load times.

Was thinking the same. Seems like something that was ultimately only delivered in a piecemeal fashion. Hope 3rd party devs also do better with this, but I kind of doubt they will allow you to stream your game while it downloads. (Unless every purchase is also going to come with the ability to stream the games, which I also doubt).

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Load screens has been so bottlenecked by current gen hardware conventions. I feel sad for Switch once PS4 and PS5 launches but hopefully Switch 2 can go the mobile route again and find a way to deliver middling graphical output with the same SSD-driven fastness of loading that PS5 is going to give.

I truly think PS5 is on a road to make us look back at all previous generations until N64 and say "How could we put up with that?"

Once you've played a PS3 game on pc like Mass Effect 2 for example, you really get a newfound frustration with how needlessly long load times are generally on consoles. There's just a complete different to game-pacing in games where loading between two segments is instantaneous and on consoles where you have to sit and stare at Helpful Tips for 1 minute.

Oct 27, 2017
Importantly, I hope they have automated systems for this otherwise it'll end up with spotty support from developers just like the current PlayGo feature on PS4 (and Ready to Start on XBO).

Microsoft talked about this at E3, using AI to work out what files are actually needed and downloading stray ones on the fly vs developers carving up their games into chunks.

If it's automated, then every game can support it properly and it'll be a huge feature.

Edit: this post is referring to the "download just what you need" idea. I have no doubt load times are going to be great on the system. It's internet downloads and partial disc installs I don't trust yet.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
That's a pretty weak "top selling point." I can't remember the last time I downloaded a game as I was getting ready to play it. I'll usually preload or download the night before or before I go to work. This really isn't a huge deal.
To me I hate playing games with load times, games that happen to be on HDDs. Even on PC with SSD most games are for use with HDDs. I think current Path of Exile is built around SSD, on HDD it's an incredibly slow load, and things load in slow, but on SSD it's a dream.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Remember that rumor about Sony not communicating with 3rd party devs? feels kinda ironic now since it's apparently the opposite.
whats crazy is that Phil said they are only just now sending devkits when Cerny sent them out in April to third party devs. Which was actually part of the reason why he did the wired article in april, he wanted to get ahead of the leaks.

i would say that Sony has been more in touch with third party devs than MS simply because of when the devkits were sent out.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't that their selling point with the PS4 already and that add campaign using Killzone Shadowfall as an example?

Anyway the tech has existed for a while in Blizzard games (as in the past 10 years)

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
I just wish we could DL games earlier during the preload window, and just have the disk/digital licenses authenticate if we can play the DL game. I'm tired of installing 70+GB of internet data with a bought disk ie COD, and just waiting for hours for it to DL just to play. Games are only gonna get bigger

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Well, you've condensed 'some of' to 'the'.

But SSDs will be a big deal - IMO not so much for load time implications, nice as that will be, as runtime implications.
I mean don't get me wrong SSD are great and i don't want to miss them anymore but both my X1 and PS4 already have had a SSD for a few years now.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
To me I hate playing games with load times, games that happen to be on HDDs. Even on PC with SSD most games are for use with HDDs. I think current Path of Exile is built around SSD, on HDD it's an incredibly slow load, and things load in slow, but on SSD it's a dream.

You are kidding me right? The game didn't even start on HDD while he was already playing on SSD. XD

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
Is this the new video games are not designed for ESRAM?
no.
I won't be surprised if we start seeing some PC games listing SSD's in the minimum system requirements if the game was designed in a way to need it. We saw the tech demo sony showed how spiderman was able to swing faster once hard drive speeds were no longer a limiting factor in loading the city.

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So im guessing where this becomes valuable is the increase of the size is the games. We already have some 2 Blu-ray games hitting ps4 and i don't think formats care beyond digital at this point.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
"No load times". Ooft. It really is going to be super fast isn't it? Loading so fast it is imperceptible to instantaneous. Imagine bouncing around from game to game. I really hope every game supports a suspended save state so you can literally have all your games running simultaneously right where you paused it. That would be insane.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Download just what you need, play right away? So they're kinda forcing you into streaming garbage?

Well, they had a good run, Xbox it is then.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seem like very obvious points, but they should work with consumers who, at large, are usually convinced by the stupidest things.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
"No dlc-locked story content" and "no day one patches" are another two I would very much like to see.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
If you had a connection good enough to stream Stadia at 4K 60fps, updates and downloads are a minor, infrequent inconvenience.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Please tell me intros are a thing of the past. At least past the inital one.

If you're talking about all the studio and middleware brands popping up, then that's a separate issue. I remember Guerrilla talking about it at the start of this gen and said in order to make it so that Killzone Shadow Fall didn't have those popping up they had to go around to all their partners an get permission to not include them in the startup.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
People who are talking down on the idea of no loading times via an SSD being a top selling point need to understand that the only real people who know about the benefits of SSD's are PC gamers, hardcore gamers and tech enthusiasts that keep up with this stuff, but the average console gamer isn't going to know the big difference between an HDD and an SSD when it comes to load times, so having Sony explain that in their selling point could be beneficial IMO. I mean, we already knew from Cerny's interview, but when Sony reveals this on-stage next year, millions of those average console gamers will be paying attention and that is where the talking point will be the most beneficial.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I mean don't get me wrong SSD are great and i don't want to miss them anymore but both my X1 and PS4 already have had a SSD for a few years now.

That's completely different. Current consoles don't fully utilize the SSD speed anyway. PS5 will have an SSD that's faster than your typical PC SSD.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
That's a pretty weak "top selling point." I can't remember the last time I downloaded a game as I was getting ready to play it. I'll usually preload or download the night before or before I go to work. This really isn't a huge deal.

As someone who buys games physically it will make a huge difference. Same goes for xbox and streaming gamepass games while they download in the background.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
I would like to see how scarlet and ps5 will differ in anyway what so ever in the aspect given relative price point and tech available.

I think it's going to be almost entirely service related in terms of the differences between platforms. Obviously you'll have the occasional exclusive but it's going to come down to whether you prefer PSN or XBL, who do you perceive as the better value or the ecosystem you're more comfortable with.

Caspar

Oct 29, 2017
UK
It was a big feature when i got my first SSD 3 years ago
It's quite different on console. Developers can make games knowing that every console will have an SSD, and so can take full advantage of it in ways not usually seen on PC. PC games usually have to consider that many people are still playing on mechanical drives, thus any real optimizations for SSD is limited.

An exception is Star Citizen, which doesn't run well at all without an SSD, and can see performance improvements across the board, beyond just loading times, by assuming everyone playing is running off an SSD.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
I think people are conflating these points. I don't think "download what you need" and "play right away are connected the way people are interpreting. I think by play right away they just mean ridiculous loading times that are blazing fast (for stuff already installed). I don't think PS Now is part of this at all.