• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018

Also he tweeted this regarding the communication of MS and Sony to developers:

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
Kinda sad that this has to be a selling point now, but welcome news. MS has also experimented with this so it will likely be with Scarlett.

FHIZ

Oct 28, 2017
But there's still a big difference between playing instantly like Stadia (quality not withstanding) and having to download let's so 20gb to play multiplayer? How is that play right away in terms of the PS5?

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
That's a pretty weak "top selling point." I can't remember the last time I downloaded a game as I was getting ready to play it. I'll usually preload or download the night before or before I go to work. This really isn't a huge deal.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Yeah I fully expect the copying thing to be dealt with. I have had to download like 4-5 Call of Duty updates since October 25th. Each one was downloaded in seconds with my Fiber net. And then followed by 40-50 minutes of "copying" the data for each update. I am literally waiting over 40 minutes with the disc in the system for the update to finish copying. I chill on the PC or something while waiting. It sucks that it happens every single time. And it is never a few minutes only. Always over 40 minutes of waiting for what looks like nothing.

OP
OP
modiz

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
But there's still a big difference between playing instantly like Stadia (quality not withstanding) and having to download let's so 20gb to play multiplayer? How is that play right away in terms of the PS5?
maybe there will be an option to stream the games you own so you could stream a game while downloading it, then when its finished move to play locally?

Villein

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
after the long ass loading after death in Jedi Fallen Order, I am ready for next gen

Prime2

Oct 25, 2017
Its a nice plan, I hope Sony have fixed how it currently applies updates, some of the time length for copying files is ridiculous.

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018

Streaming will also be a thing on Xbox Scarlet and PS5. So, you can play right away.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I'll believe it when I see it when it comes to "no load times."

That's the sort of thing I've been dreaming about for a decade. When we finally reach that standard it's going to be crazy. But I have a hard time believing we're that close on consoles. 🤔

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
That's a pretty weak "top selling point." I can't remember the last time I downloaded a game as I was getting ready to play it. I'll usually preload or download the night before or before I go to work. This really isn't a huge deal.
It goes without saying that "New videogames" "AAA First party franchises" "new IPs" will be a highlight to the next big video game console.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
As someone who hasn't owned a XBO or PS4, are load times really that bad? The last time I remember any load times being obscene were 2013's Lego City Undercover.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No load times is the big one for me, people are severely underestimating how seismic a change it'll be.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm jealous of the people who play Death Stranding on PS5 with heavily cut down loading times, assuming it gets a patch to support such a thing.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sony already said that at the start of this gen. I distinctly remember how some games got ready to play in literally 10 seconds. Then you would start the game and the rest would install in the background.

But then everything become open world and now everything takes 50 minutes to copy so you can get put into the open world right at the start.

i really dont see how they fix that next gen which textures are going to get bigger and the worlds too. the Bluray disc to SSD copying will still be limited by the read speeds of the bluray disc. the downloads will still be limited by your ISP speeds. SSDs cannot fix those two things.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
YES. This generation has been terrible in regards to installs, downloads and patches...

Perhaps the cartridge patent we saw has something to do with the statement? SD Express and UFS cards can reach 1GB / sec read speeds now. For comparison 16X Blu-ray is 72 MB/s.

For Microsoft, I am guess there is also the option to stream the game from XCloud while you install?

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017

There's a couple different things they could do and something I expect MS to do with xCloud. When you buy a game digitally, it'll start the download but if you want to play it before it's downloaded, you could stream it if you want and it'll download once you quit the game/turn off the console. Obviously you would need a certain connection speed to support it but it would be a good way of getting to games right away digitally.

DocH1X1

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
I would like to see how scarlet and ps5 will differ in anyway what so ever in the aspect given relative price point and tech available.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This will make a huge difference for games with a multiplayer and single player component. Let me uninstall what I'm no longer interested in.

What, you don't like downloading a 128MB file for certain games and waiting 40+ minutes to have it copy? /s

Or needing to make 100GB free to install a 60GB game.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
Am I crazy or was Sony more or less trying to make a similar selling point in the lead-up to the PS4's launch? Not with the "no load times" claim of course, but the "download what you need" and "play right away" stuff. This feels like déjà vu.

gogojira

Oct 27, 2017
I know it's just one source, but you'd think Microsoft would be out there talking to devs since they got their ass kicked so bad last gen.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
Aside from the load times, this shouldn't even be a selling point let alone a top one. It should be standard and expected.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Didn't Phil Spencer say something similar at the last E3/Giant Bomb interview about only installing what you need right away?

somewhere in here

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
So they're gonna push SSDs as the big feature?

Yes. It can change the way that a game is designed (i.e. no more masking loading times behind long walks or mountain climbs).

The major advantage, as detailed in the reveal interview, comes to load times. Hardware architect Mark Cerny used Marvel's Spider-Man as an example. The fast travel loading screen took roughly 15 seconds on a PS4 Pro, but less than one second on a dev kit for the PS5. Given that the new hardware will be backwards compatible with older games, that means your load times will likely be reduced across the board when you upgrade.

Faster loading can also mean faster rendering, so games known for speed can push more architecture and textures at a faster rate. Spider-Man was used as the example here too, as the camera was sped up to show how the city could render more quickly.

I would expect that only PS5 exclusives could benefit from this as this feature isn't standard on PCs (and may not be on XBOX).

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
Not surprised about MS remark most of the time we get some Sony info and leaks but barely anything for MS.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I'll believe the fast (not none at all) loading times but unless devs don't have to spend a lot of time modifying their games to make them playable after downloading only a section I doubt that feature will get anywhere, we've already seen this on PS4 with barely any devs supporting it. The only way I can see us being able to play right away is if you can stream the game while it downloads in the background.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Am I crazy or was Sony more or less trying to make a similar selling point in the lead-up to the PS4's launch? Not with the "no load times" claim of course, but the "download what you need" and "play right away" stuff. This feels like deja vu.
It was like that for the most part. I recall all gaming from late 2013 until like early 2015 to be that way. And then Witcher 3 happened and FFXV and some other games. I only started noticing the copying thing in the last year or two.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
Am I crazy or was Sony more or less trying to make a similar selling point in the lead-up to the PS4's launch? Not with the "no load times" claim of course, but the "download what you need" and "play right away" stuff. This feels like deja vu.

Well in some titles you could just install the campaign. Or play the multiplayer while the campaign downloaded/installed. Not everyone used that feature developer and publisher wise.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
How are you supposed to play right away unless it's streaming? Sounds like PR fluff

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I know it's just one source, but you'd think Microsoft would be out there talking to devs since they got their ass kicked so bad last gen.

Not being loud isn't always a bad thing

Didn't Phil Spencer say something similar at the last E3/Giant Bomb interview about only installing what you need right away?

Both Xbox and Sony are basically going to have the same consoles so these features aren't going to be unique to any platform