• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Horp

Nov 16, 2017
Underwater ... up in the air.
How about the next one.. IN SPACE!
I would want it for all the systems though, if it's exclusive I would be in shock

Abdulrahman

Oct 30, 2017
Fucking hell we lost mafia for one of the worst IPs of last generation. One of the biggest faces that represented how dumbed down game and level design was last gen. I really thought we were free from Bioshock forever. I'm struggling to put into words how disappointed I am right now.
Do you really think big publishers will fund something like System Shock in this day and age? At least Bioshock wasn't so bad compared to, say, Thief reboot...

Krustoff

Nov 1, 2017
Ugh, I don't know about this. We've seen BioShock without Ken Levine and it took a DLC from a unique and creative mind to salvage that garbage. I didn't even think Infinite's combat was good. I really don't know about another BioShock game. They should almost give it a different title like how BioShock was different from System Shock.

Deleted member 14939

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It may be the greatest Bioshock game, but its least-interesting experience.
Oddly enough, I think Bioshock Infinite in particular would function better as a walking simulator. Its combat was 'meh,' but its world-building and characters were amazing.

I admire the word play of this post a great deal.

I, however, disagree that Bio 2 is a worse experience than Infinite. Opinions, of course. Bio 1 is without a doubt a game I would recommend most people at least play on Easy to see the story. Two after that if you wanted more of that world in a more fluid game.

Also, the main plot of Bio 2 was more gripping than Bio 1 for me since you were just playing for some random to escape a city. Lives were on the line in Bio 2.

Charcoal

Nov 2, 2017
A modern US sub hits an old underwear mine in the East Siberian Sea. After flooding and sinking to the bottom of the ocean, they discover a secret and abandoned Russian base created during the Cold War.

Endless possibilities. Boom.

Anubis

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The first game is my top 10-12 games of all time.

The other two I enjoyed as well so I am super stoked!

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
Was worried a couple days ago that hangar 13 would get shut down but I guess for their safe that being said what happened to irrational doesn't bode well for them.

Mafia 3 was really impressive from a writing standpoint and the bar for this franchise is beneath the floor at this point so it can only get better from here.

Wetwork

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
Bioshock infinite was terrible. Please, aim in the direction of Bioshock and stay far, far away from from Infinite's design.

Oct 28, 2017
I know it won't happen, but I'd love for Fullbright to do a full-fledged Bioshock game. Minerva's Den with a giant budget.

Jerykk

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
I mean that's like, your opinion, man. Infinite was the best game out of the three for me. It also left the most lasting impression on me.

Agreed. Mechanically, Infinite is easily the best in the series. Best shooting, best traversal, best level design, most enemy variety. As a shooter, those things are pretty important and Bioshock has always been a shooter above all else. I also thought Infinite's story was a lot more interesting than the previous games. Rapture was a cool setting and had a cool backstory but it was pretty one-dimensional. Infinite's story is literally multidimensional. Its characters are much better developed too.

I think the biggest problem people had with Infinite was not with the game itself but with the fact that it didn't match their preconceptions of what it should have been. When people saw the initial E3 reveal, they imagined that Infinite would be an open-world shooter RPG where you jump between realities at will. When the final game wasn't that, they were disappointed. Expectations can be very dangerous which is why publishers and developers generally try to avoid revealing games until they've been finalized from a design standpoint. 2K made the mistake of revealing Infinite too early.

Meanwhile in Infinite, everything is literally stolen from the first game. Why are there plasmids in this world? The bad guy stole them from Rapture. Why is there an enemy that is a clear Big Daddy stand-in? The bad guy stole the idea from Rapture. Instead of feeling fleshed-out a lot of things feel completely nonsensical, the obvious example being the availability of powers in the market at the beginning of the game. Why haven't the powers had the same impact here that they had in Rapture? Why doesn't everyone take advantage of them? Infinite replaced a satisfying backstory with J. J. Abrams-style plot twists, which results in some cool set pieces but an overall experience that's far less memorable.

Eh... I really wouldn't cite the first Bioshock as an example of logical coherence. The notion of making super-powers readily available for anyone is absurd and one that Andrew Ryan would have never realistically allowed given that he was obsessed with holding power. Their presence in Infinite is actually more believable. Rapture was all about individualism and that, combined with super-powers, inevitably led to war and the city's downfall. Columbia, on the other hand, was all about the Prophet. Everyone in Columbia (except for the workers who didn't have access to Vigors) worshiped the Prophet and were united under his will. They had no reason to abuse their powers or fight over them because they all served the same master and had the same goals. Anyone who strayed from this doctrine was punished severely, as shown by the public humiliation/execution of the interracial couple.

As for Vigors and Songbird being literally inspired by Plasmids and Big Daddies, that is correct. This is still a Bioshock game after all and there are certain fundamental elements that need to be consistent between games. Super-powers and large, iconic enemies are one of them. That said, the analogy is a bit off. In Infinite, the Handymen are much closer equivalents to the Big Daddies, since there are multiple of them. Also, the Handymen are much more interesting to fight than the Big Daddies. Songbird was also way more awesome than any of the Big Daddies.

Last edited:

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Press Sneak Fuck still delivering the megaton scoops. This'll be a serious crowdpleasing reveal at whatever E3 it shows up at.

I really wonder what that project is that Ken Levine's cooking up these days.

Jan 11, 2018
I've been under this assumption for a while now. Hopefully the game will take place in Columbia, and we'll have a repeat of Bioshock 2 where an alternate team improved significantly upon Ken Levine's original ideas.

Kid Heart

Oct 25, 2017
Sweet! The Bioshock games are always a blast so I'm looking forward to this. I hope it's design philosophy is similar to one more then Infinite though, as I want to be able to hold multiple weapons again.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think this is a good idea at all especially when there is a System Shock Remake (ok put on hold but it might come later) and mostly because of System Shock 3 being made by Warren Spector, the creator of that genre (Thief, Deus Ex, System Shock) and whose ideas influenced the creation of similar games like Bioshock, Dishonored, Prey etc.. from the same ex-members who worked with him. I don't think both BioShock and System Shock can coexist if they are scheduled for the same era. That would be a real shock.

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I just got done playing Prey (2017) which I loved so I'm ready for some Bioshock. After Prey, Dishonored 2 and Dues Ex MD failed to burn up the charts, I was afraid we wouldn't be seeing another immersive sim for a long time.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
I just got done playing Prey (2017) which I loved so I'm ready for some Bioshock. After Prey, Dishonored 2 and Deus Ex MD failed to burn up the charts, I was afraid we wouldn't be seeing another immersive sim for a long time.

Don't worry. System Shock 3 from the real father and the real Shodan will fill that gap.

definedMF

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto Canada
Cue the absurd Infinite hate train. This can be really bincreidbi, just thinking bhoe design has come in this gen I can't wait to see a Bioshock game with this gens new techniques!

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I want a full-on detective game set in Rapture or a similar location. It's never gonna happen of course, but I wouldn't be interested in another linear shooter like Infinite. The action is what made those games not as interesting as they could be to me.

/edit: A game in the vein of System Shock or Prey would be more than welcome too.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After PREY I dunno if I can get back into Bioshock, but I loved Infinite's setting, so I'll take a new game.

Brandon

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah.. Mafia IV please..

That music game sounds somewhat interesting but it probably wouldn't work out.

Is there another thread to discuss this or is this the only one? This seems to be mostly about the BioShock leak.

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
I don't trust Kotaku. Confirm it and then I'll believe you.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Absolute trash tier writing like that makes me wonder what kind of standards some people have. Bioshock infinite is the example of people running headfirst into the hype cycle and too proud to admit it was a mess of development that clearly shows in the game itself.

I can still hear Adam sesslers embarrassing soliloquies even now, when i had to suffer through ghost mom 3 times, a generic wave of enemies for a final boss and killing off one of the main features of the game with it(songbird) barely showing up for like 5% of the runtime.

I didn't sign up for a story about racial and social and political tensions only to hear "well BOTH SIDES"

Where the hell is all this shit at(i wanted to use alternate links but it seems they took down most marketing material related to earlier versions of the game)

*edit*

Sorry. I calmed down. There's no game that can get me more pissed off than Bioshock infinite mentions

preach