• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
Looked and couldn't find a thread, but "Blood, Sweat and Pixels" by Kotaku's Jason Schreier is currently on deep sale on Kindle. It's $1.99 in both the US and Canada. I haven't read it yet, but I've heard it's a fantastic look into the harrowing world of game development.

Note: if you don't own a Kindle, you can still read it on your phone/tablet via the Kindle app, or on a web browser via the Kindle cloud reader.

Link to the US sale page

Link to the Canadian sale page

51APYREq6iL.jpg

Edit: also on sale on Google and iBooks!

It's also available through Google Play Books.

https://play.google.com/store/books/details?pcampaignid=books_read_action&id=-bK-DQAAQBAJ

Luckily I checked before making the mistake of buying it through Amazon.

Thanks for the heads up! It's on sale on iBooks too

Last edited:

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
Definitely recommend, especially the audiobook narrated by Noctis Ray Chase. Even the chapters on games I had no interest in were interesting to read/hear.

MikeRahl

Oct 27, 2017
If you have any Project Management experience the whole book is almost one big face palm. But it was a fantastic read.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Shows up as $1.99 for me, which is still a hell of a deal. I loved this book and if you are interested at all in the process of game development and publishing, you will too.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Buy it! Try and get the audiobook if you can, its really good for car rides!

OP
OP
DyslexicAlucard
Oct 26, 2017
Shows up as $1.99 for me, which is still a hell of a deal. I loved this book and if you are interested at all in the process of game development and publishing, you will too.
I'm browsing from Canada, so I had to visit Amazon.com to get the US price. Maybe there's some weird auto-conversion going on.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the tip! I'd had the sample sitting on my Kindle for ages. Just upgraded to the full version.

Consequence

Oct 27, 2017
Sigh, and yet another thing that I was going to put on my birthday list for my family is purchased by myself.

Imerty

Oct 27, 2017
Excellent book. Highly recommend to anyone interested in knowing about the backstage of videogames.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
Neat.

Will see how easy it is to convert to Kobo format (otherwise I'll just read it on my phone). Had my eye on the paperback version for a while but this is a fraction of the cost.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Already own the paperback and bumping this thread cuz the book is amazing.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
How much of this book is prose compared to images? Is it entry text based, or does it rely on graphics?

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
it's 11.72 on Amazon US for me and on Canadian Amazon it's not even showing the ebook version :/

EDIT: Never mind it's just for US accounts.

Last edited:

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Kindle version not even available on amazon.co.uk. :(

edit: but just noticed I already bought it from .com at some unspecified time in the past. :)

AcridMeat

Oct 26, 2017
Been going through this as I've had a copy for a little while now, the chapter on Stardew is real good.

Dec 14, 2017
Echoing that it's a great read, very enjoyable. Already own the paperback myself and I don't have a kindle, but great deal. I hope Jason writes a follow-up or another one, would be really interesting if he even covered some of the same teams/projects again, plenty of chapters are about long-standing service games.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
I'm getting "This title is not available for purchase" in Canada?

EDIT: Turns out I had the wrong region set in my Kindle settings. Thanks for the heads-up, looking forward to reading this!

Crashnburn85

Oct 25, 2017
California
A truly fascinating read. Even game titles I had no interest in before reading turned out to have insightful and gripping development stories.

Seconded this. I really enjoyed the Stardrew Valley read even though I've no interest in the game. My buddy that is into the game had a fun time discussing it together. Not to be a shill, but Jason's authorship here was easy to pick up and hard to put down.

Mars

Oct 25, 2017
Aaaaaaaand bought, completely forgot about the existence of this book. Thanks for the heads-up!

OP
OP
DyslexicAlucard
Oct 26, 2017
So based on some responses, it's $1.99 in the US too (despite Amazon.com claiming otherwise when browsing from Canada.) I'll message a mod about editing the title then.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think I lent my paperback to a friend. So picked it up from this as I never got a chance to finish it. Thanks.

Nekyrrev

Oct 28, 2017
If you are at least a bit interested in video games (and I assume you are), just read it. It's absolutely phenomenal.
It really makes you understand what these developers have to go thru to make these awesome games.
I would kill for a second book like this one. Jasooooooon