• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
New piece from Jason

It's no surprise that The Last of Us II has led to months of crunch at Naughty Dog. But with 70% of the designers who worked on Uncharted 4 now gone, many are asking: How much longer can this culture last? And is the sacrifice really worth it?

As one Naughty Dog developer recently told me: "This game is really good, but at a huge cost to the people."

Many who have worked at Naughty Dog over the years describe it as a duality—as a place that can be simultaneously the best and the worst workplace in the world. Working at Naughty Dog means designing beloved, critically acclaimed games alongside artists and engineers who are considered some of the greatest in their fields. But for many of those same people, it also means working upwards of 12-hour days and even weekends when the studio is in crunch mode, sacrificing their health, relationships, and personal lives at the altar of the game.

"They do try to take care of you, providing food, encouragement to go take breaks," said one former developer. "But for the most part, the implication is: 'Get the job done at all costs.'"

This account of Naughty Dog's culture is based on interviews with 13 current and former developers, all of whom spoke anonymously because they were not given permission to speak to press, as well as reporting I did for my 2017 book, Blood, Sweat, and Pixels, which detailed the turbulent production of Uncharted 4. As is often the case, we could not share many of those developers' personal stories of sacrifice without risking their identities, and as usual, we erred on the side of caution in order to keep sources protected.

A representative for Sony and Naughty Dog turned down interview requests with studio management and declined to provide comment.

More here

kotaku.com

As Naughty Dog Crunches On The Last Of Us II, Developers Wonder How Much Longer This Approach Can Last

Some developers at Naughty Dog continue to ask themselves a question that has haunted the studio for years: Is it worth it?

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018
seems like a nightmare over and over again.

worrying really and makes me think about that piece from Amy Henning that AAA will not last long in this state.

nikasun :D

Oct 30, 2017
So what do you do then? Vote with your wallet and don't buy the game or buy the game to support the developers?

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I could understand a week up to maybe a month of crunch. But when a game is delayed, that basically means an extra several months of crunch. Unacceptable.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
How the fuck is a turnover rate that high acceptable IN ANY FUCKING WORK?
Even if we leave all the "health" and "work-life" problems, even from a structural point of view (aka money which is what sadly the corporations care about), that is a ton of learning hours thrown to the trash can and time that will be needed to improve the newer employees.

Deleted member 61469

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 17, 2019
But with 70% of the designers who worked on Uncharted 4 now gone,

maxresdefault.jpg

Vylder

Oct 25, 2017
Things will get even worse with more powerful consoles and higher expectations from gamers.

Feb 4, 2018
I love Jason's work and the culture at Naughty Dog needed to change yesterday, but something about the way this story was written makes me think Jason has lost his fastball.

Crunch is horrendous and devs should unionize as soon as possible.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
12 hour days is nuts, fuck that. Hope a solution can be found to prevent this, maybe less presure to put titles out by a certain time

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Naughty Dog is well known for being one of the worst offenders in terms of crunch culture. Thankfully it evolved quite a bit those past few years for most other devs, especially outside of the US.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So what do you do then? Vote with your wallet and don't buy the game or buy the game to support the developers?
Us buying the game or not buying the game isn't relevant to the course of action we should take - either way you aren't doing "the right thing". Social media campaigns would be more effective.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I'd rather they delay further than crunch. Would make a nice PS5 launch title anyway. But obviously this isn't about us, it's about Sony's Q1 FY20 financials.

I like how Jason got a plug in there for his book.

hrœrekr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 3, 2019
Just delay it.
Or never do this type of game again. This industry doesn't need to be so perfectionist to be fun.

Hanbei

Nov 11, 2017
You should know that, in other industries and other countries, crunch is precisely why some people killed themselves. They couldn't stand it anymore.
Does the video game industry have to wait for something similar to happen before someone says STOP?

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sony/ND should consider trying to extend their dev time by at least a year, 4 years since UC4 is too fast and too costly (human cost) for the quality of product they produce. Let the "gamers" whine, they'll buy the product anyway, nothing is more important than human lives especially not just for a video game

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
AAA (damn near AAAA) game development is unsustainable. sooner or later there won't be enough bodies left to throw into the machine.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
Self-inflicted wound. It's the studio culture. Amy Henning said so in Troy Bakers and Nolan Norths Uncharted 2 stream.
She essentially said that they did everything they could as long as their could with non-existent pressure from Sony.

However, unionize.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
The developers need to unionize. Relying on consumers to be the source of ethical change is probably not going to go well.

The developers there are voluntarily working crunch though? Like what does a union even solve here? The piece mentions how nobody asks anyone to work nights or weekends... they just do it anyway.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
The Naughty Dog philosophy of "People crunch on our games because they want to! Everyone loves working here!" always struck me as incredibly unhealthy and misleading. If everyone loves working there so much, then why is there so much turnover?

I am increasingly aggravated by the idea that not wanting to do crunch means you don't care enough about your work.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This has always been something I've been worrying about with ND. They've always been open with their insane dedication to develop their titles, and I've always wondered how much burden it can put to the studio to always try to outdo their past works.

I dont think it can last, like Schreier, so I hope they can find a way to not bleed out of devs soon.

Mar 10, 2018
After this game, I really hope Naughty Dog goes back to doing smaller, less ambitious projects. For some time. They've already proved themselves plenty. This relentless chase for perfection has got to stop.

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Unacceptable. I feel sorry for all of those people killing themselves to get this project out the door instead of spending time with their families.

Prime2

Oct 25, 2017
People saying delay it more didn't read the article when they did that it just meant more crunch.............

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
How the fuck is a turnover rate that high acceptable IN ANY FUCKING WORK?
Even if we leave all the "health" and "work-life" problems, even from a structural point of view (aka money which is what sadly the corporations care about), that is a ton of learning hours thrown to the trash can and time that will be needed to improve the newer employees.

This is what gets me the most. Almost any work I ever did wanted people that stay at the company for a long ass time so they don't "waste" time in teaching you their inner workings etc.

Like how can an industry see this is kinda be like "this is fine" in instances just as this? I mean they aren't stupid, they must realize that this isn't feasible longterm this way.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
it also means working upwards of 12-hour days and even weekends when the studio is in crunch mode, sacrificing their health, relationships, and personal lives at the altar of the game.

"They do try to take care of you, providing food, encouragement to go take breaks," said one former developer. "But for the most part, the implication is: 'Get the job done at all costs.'"

This industry really needs to get its priorities straight.

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018
and it's likely have a HUGE team departure from ND as soon as TLOU2 is complete.

i mean even Bruce Straley in a position of power couldn't take it any longer, imagine for the average dev.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
I'd rather they delay further than crunch. Would make a nice PS5 launch title anyway. But obviously this isn't about us, it's about Sony's Q1 FY20 financials.

I like how Jason got a plug in there for his book.
Sony doesn't care, they already moved the game from Q4 to Q1 and just adjusted down their forecast
They have PSN, they don't need to release a game during this quarter or this quarter at all cost

Heidern

Oct 30, 2017
Connecticut
I can't imagine game development will get any easier with PS5/Series X. Hopefully next-gen will last up to 10 years so that they have time to make games.