• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
Writer Jay Pinkerton left Valve last June but a few hours ago Valve's people page was updated with Jay Pinkerton with the following description:

Jay Pinkerton is a comedy writer who fell into game writing completely accidentally fifteen years ago and has been waiting for somebody to notice ever since. Prior to joining Valve, Jay ping-ponged around the industry working with very nice people on games that were worked very hard on and then shelved forever. Prior to that he was an editor at the then-resurrected Cracked.com, and helped get that online. Prior to that he was Managing Editor of the National Lampoon. Prior to that he was mostly freelance writing, which is a professional way of saying he starved for a living. Prior to that he was a child, then a baby, and then hadn't existed yet. That pretty much catches you up.

Looks like he may have returned to Valve after about a year.

KZXcellent

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Well they said they were gonna start shipping games again. Wouldn't surprised if they were working on something beyond that card game.

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Friendship with Valve ended. Campo Santo is now my new best friend.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Well that's good news. Hopefully we see something worthwhile from them in the next decade.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
On the grape vine I heard there were other writers headed to Valve. Wasn't expecting Pinkerton among them. Wonder what brought him back / if he was up to much when he left

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
God, Jay Pinkerton brings me back to my earliest days of web surfing, along with PWoT and John Cheese. Hopefully he's got a job worthy of his abilities there.

Yukinari

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Danger Zone
I wonder if he joined a new clique.

Jay who? Dont talk about jay.

OYOEowL.png

Max Payne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, we all know that it means HL3 and Portal 3 confirmed. It makes no sense to deny that.

EDIT: Also L4D3. We need more jokes about pills.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Do you mean new ones or the ones they added in the last few months?

They must have about five writers currently.

Both. Last info I had was April / June time. Not kept up with things tbh, but it sounded to me like Valve's notion of "making games again" isn't actually as startling as people make it.
They warped their business around hardware, VR etc at a time when they needed to be competitive and had little expertise. Things shifted and games were still in development, but a side note. For a while now, a lot of non-game things are more self sufficient so priorities changed around. But now Valve have expertise in a lot more areas, so expect more things like hardware / VR / games.

Oct 27, 2017
Both. Last info I had was April / June time. Not kept up with things tbh, but it sounded to me like Valve's notion of "making games again" isn't actually as startling as people make it.
They warped their business around hardware, VR etc at a time when they needed to be competitive and had little expertise. Things shifted and games were still in development, but a side note. For a while now, a lot of non-game things are more self sufficient so priorities changed around. But now Valve have expertise in a lot more areas, so expect more things like hardware / VR / games.
Interesting. This is a writer they hired this year:

And then the writer from Campo Santo whose name is escaping me.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017

That's very interesting, thanks for the info.

Retroid

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Unless I've missed it, Brad Muir is not on that list, I wonder why? Any other names missing?

Edit: The web archive has the page from back in May and Brad's name is missing there too. I'm guessing they wait until a bio is written before posting names. Makes the addition of Jay Pinkerton more interesting.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CommodoreKong

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
Unless I've missed it, Brad Muir is not on that list, I wonder why? Any other names missing?

Edit: The web archive has the page from back in May and Brad's name is missing there too. I'm guessing they wait until a bio is written before posting names. Makes the addition of Jay Pinkerton more interesting.

John Schoenick is the primary Team Fortress 2 developer who interacts with the TF2 community and he's worked at Valve for several years now but he's not on the page. I would assume you don't have to have a bio on that page if you don't want one.

Cth

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
God, Jay Pinkerton brings me back to my earliest days of web surfing, along with PWoT and John Cheese. Hopefully he's got a job worthy of his abilities there.

The same.

I used to lurk PWOT and got Jay's Spiderman comics to go viral. They ended up in front of Warren Ellis who contacted me to try and get him a job in comics :D