• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017
Yeah there are some shows like this known for roasting the guests more than anything. It's always been this way, but one good aspect of social media is that now people can be heard and call out the most offensive stuff. Honestly I remember seeing really creepy stuff and behaviors on live TV when I was a kid, but there was just no way for people to voice their concerns. French talk shows are mostly terrible and the gimmick is to make fun of people most of the time. But sexism, homophobia and racism don't fly as well as they did even 5 years ago.

Thank you for the enlightenment.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
If all the men marry other men and all women marry other women, how will we make babies

This is something so weird to say, and I have spoken to many people who repeat that sort of BS. I mean, why do you care if other people want to have babies or no? I am hetero and I dont want to have children, so I am not doing my part I guess? Some people really scratch the very bottom of the barrel to excuse their racist/homophobic/hate views...

HP_Wuvcraft

Oct 26, 2017
South of San Francisco
There's a lot of stupidity on display here, but this bit made me laugh.

"But the question is, if all the boys marry each another and all the women marry each other, how are we going to have children?"

Imagine how intellectually stunted you have to be to posit this.
The fact that he refers to men as "boys" and women as "women" tells you everything about how he views gender.

C4lukin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tejas
He has been known to be a giant ass for years, and it destroyed his film career. It seemed like he was having a bit of a comeback in recent years, and maybe had grown up. Not looking that way now. Maybe he still has a chance in the French film industry based on the audiences reaction.

OP
OP
Nikus

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is something so weird to say, and I have spoken to many people who repeat that sort of BS. I mean, why do you care if other people want to have babies or no? I am hetero and I dont want to have children, so I am not doing my part I guess? Some people really scratch the very bottom of the barrel to excuse their racist/homophobic/hate views...
Yeah, and as someone else pointed out, this reasoning implies that everyone in the world is actually gay and the only thing that can prevent humankind to disappear is to ban same-sex marriage.
Like, what is going through the heads of these people?
Step 1: Allow gay marriage
Step 2: 100% of the population turns out to be gay. No more babies ever. The end.

wut

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not surprised one bit considering his past behavior. I was hoping he'd grow up a bit though, but nope,

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
Maybe it's not the thread to discuss this, but this is why I don't like the "who cares if homosexuality is a choice? It should be respected anyway" argument. It's true and it's nice and I do appreciate it - but some people out there actually believe the possibility exists for a majority of people to choose to be homosexual. Especially since acceptance and visibility are increasing, it's often perceived as "more people choosing to be homosexual". Let's not hide facts when defending minorities, I say.

Van Damme is an idiot.

Melkezadek

Oct 27, 2017
Jean-Claude was always the embodiment of toxic masculinity so this really isn't surprising.

Honestly he just embarrassed himself. Came off as a real knuckle dragger.

Aftermath

Oct 27, 2017
hasn't he always been a douchey person who loves hinself too much? I know as a huge fan of Matial Arts Movies my dad always hated him so we never watched his movies in my house growing up (mind you there were lots of movies & series I had to discover myself so that may be irrelevant, if my dad didn't like something we never watched it)

TinfoilHatsROn

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
But I thought France and Europe was generally more sexually liberal and all that. Come on.

A 'HAHA GAYS DON'T MAKE CHILDREN' joke after a 'WHATS NEXT MEN WITH DOGS' joke. And the audience laughed. Seriously?

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
He's always entertained me in movies. But I thought he was always one of those people who we knew were idiots?

Strider_Blaze

Oct 28, 2017
Lancaster, CA
Now you have no more excuse to watch that Street Fighter movie

/Damn it, JC

Well there is still watching it for Raul Julia.

This hurts me greatly. That feeling of always looking up to any great actor or significant person all your life (even considering him as a hero), but getting shattered when I'm informed that this person was deep down a complete asshole.

Least there is still Keanu Reeves, Terry Crews and Arnold Schwarzenegger to look up to.

OP
OP
Nikus

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

This hurts me greatly. That feeling of always looking up to any great actor or significant person all your life (even considering him as a hero), but getting shattered when I'm informed that this person was deep down a complete asshole.

Least there is still Keanu Reeves, Terry Crews and Arnold Schwarzenegger to look up to.
Sorry to bring the bad news to you. But JCVD has always been shitty irl, it's just that this time I think he out did himself.
Keanu, Terry and Arnold have proved many times that they were genuinely great people though :)

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

If I learned that Keanu Reeves was an asshole, I'd have to question my judgment. A lot of people, you can just look at them and tell they're either stupid or assholish. Keanu is like the Tom Hanks of non-Tom Hanks actors. He just looks like a good guy.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
You people should read his deep quotes. Let's say he comes as... dense.

Oct 25, 2017
Gee the poster boy for toxic masculinity turned out to be a walking stereotype. We're lucky to have Arnold, in that sense.

petran79

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Greece
It's official then. Arnold > Van Damme

Bud Spencer and Terrence Hill ate those for breakfast

From his bio

Spencer announced his new career at a "Felliniesque" press conference at a Rome hotel, at which he hardly moved and had little to say except homilies about upholding family values. Spencer sat between two Forza Italia handlers, and according to one major Italian newspaper, "From one moment to the next, you expected this mountain of a man to grab the heads of the two presenters and smack them together in his usual style, as he has been seen doing countless times on the big screen and television." The audition proved to be a flop: Spencer lost the seat, and Berlusconi's party was swept from power in 2006.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
tumblr_m67otfpGW71ry1rm7o1_400.gif

Came in here to post this.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not culturally French but from what I understand this kind of provocative, even antagonistic, dialog is normal for these sorts of shows, isn't it?
French talk shows suck. Most hosts, if not all, are pure assholes (looking at you, Cyril Hanouna) and just like US TV, they give biggots the spotlight to make some buzz.

Talking about Hanouna, that asshole actually outed a gay guy on live TV by talking to him through a gay dating website, which could be problematic for the person since France is still in the middle ages in terms of being welcoming to LGBTQ people.

EDIT: source on this, in french: https://www.huffingtonpost.fr/2017/...iege-un-homosexuel-sos-homophobie_a_22098738/

May 26, 2018
"But the question is, if all the boys marry each another and all the women marry each other, how are we going to have children?"

Just a thought... maybe heterosexual relationships and marriages will still exist just because you let gay people get married?

Perhaps he will be turned gay himself by the rampant gayness. Perhaps that is what he is implying.

That it's a disease.

Elynn

Oct 28, 2017
Brittany, France
I don't even care about Van Damme as he's been a known asshole for a while now so whatever.
But fuck these gay hosts/TV personalities willing to throw us all under the bus for a bad joke and a bit of money.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
But I thought France and Europe was generally more sexually liberal and all that. Come on.

A 'HAHA GAYS DON'T MAKE CHILDREN' joke after a 'WHATS NEXT MEN WITH DOGS' joke. And the audience laughed. Seriously?

Well, JCVD is a weird case.

First, he's not french, he's belgian (still Europe, ok). Then, he spend so much time in the US that i think he identified himself as an American. I mean, one of the reasons with love having him on french talk shows is because he can't speak french properly. Despite being a native french speaker, when he attempt to speak french, he ALWAYS stumble on words and revert to english ones, even for things really common. And this has been the case for a good 20 years by now.

He is a joke and always have been. He never was very bright.

So there's nothing really surprising here. He is an idiot who became famous, made lots of money, was on drugs nearly half his life and has lived so much time in the US that he almost think himself to be american (but he's old, so more on the conservative side). That had to be expected.

As for the audience... Talk shows are always dumb as fuck in France (well, most countries i think, really). And the host of this specific talk show IS gay and very open about it. So i guess the audience laughed because he did too. Dunno...

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Hahahahah holy shit how funny....

I heard a story from a very reputable source about him on set of a movie doing a bunch of coke and having sex with a male co-star, constantly. He described them as two teenage girls who had just discovered sex LOL

Guess he still cant deal with it

I've heard A LOT about him and it's more (shall we say) extreme than that.

But basically this.