• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
EOeMTaK.jpg

Jean-Claude Van Johnson
is an action-comedy series on Amazon Prime. All six episodes will be available on December 15th. The show was created by Dave Callaham (The Expendables) and stars JCVD along with Kat Foster, Phylicia Rashad, and Moises Arias. The pilot, which is available to stream now, is hilarious, and the reviews have been solid so far.
Amazon said:
What if I told you that Jean-Claude Van Damme - yes, THAT Jean-Claude Van Damme - was, in fact, a secret agent? That his entire film career was built solely as a front for his black ops? Would you believe me? No? Well then that's egg on your face because that's what this show is about.
Amazon said:
Jean-Claude Van Johnson will star Van Damme as a version of himself — a famous actor and martial-arts pro who comes out of retirement to resume his alter-ego: an undercover private contractor by the name of Jean-Claude Van Johnson. The comedy-action thriller will see Johnson's cover as the lead role in a reimagined action film version of Huckleberry Finn that lands him back in the midst of the danger he secretly always craves. It also brings him back in the orbit of Vanessa, his fellow operative and the love of his life that got away.
Amazon Link. Pilot is up today, all episodes from S1 streaming tomorrow.

Videos:

Reviews:
Collider said:
The joy of Jean-Claude Van Johnson is how breezy and silly it can be.
LA Daily News said:
The series has something of a "True Lies" feel, with its plot winking at itself. There is plenty of action and suspense. J-C, though, is a different sort of action-figure, filled with more self-doubt and regret then you usually see in the movies. But even with that, the series smartly never takes itself too seriously.
SF Chronicle said:
All the elements work well together, but Van Damme owns the show's six episodes. Even when he's dead serious playing himself, he has an almost Buster Keaton-like skill at deadpan humor.
Deadline said:
Funny, smart where you don't expect it, a bit shameless, framed literally and figuratively like a post-modern Buster Keaton, and of course full of deadpan quips, kicks, spins and that surely trademarked split by the Muscles from Brussels, I couldn't get enough of this rather seriously constructed mix of satire and spycraft executive produced by Ridley Scott and directed by Peter Atencio.
Den of Geek said:
First and foremost, Jean-Claude Van Johnson is a comedy. It's a damned funny one. It can seem a bit scattershot at in the first two episodes because it's trying to do a lot of things. Once they're all established, though, it works. It's satirising action movies, it's being an action movie, it's a silly comedy and it's a weird arthouse movie. And in being all of those things, it probably won't land with some viewers.

Photos:
izD769l.jpg

DzaIx1V.jpg

b5t6Tfe.jpg

PNr5MEv.jpg

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
fucking finally out of pilot hell. really liked the first one, hope the rest of the season delivers.

Zatoichi

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
Jean Claude showing himself to be the most versatile and talented out of all the 80's action stars.

Can't wait.

omf

Oct 30, 2017
I had no idea this was coming out tomorrow! Hope it's as worthwhile as JCVD.

Absent

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for the thread, Cornballer.

Never got around to watching the pilot, but will rectify that soon.

BlueBikinis

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks Cornballer, I have watched several shows where I have heard nothing about until I've come across your threads. I'll watch the pilot episode tonight, looks great.

Radiophonic

Oct 25, 2017
If you're expecting another JCVD, you're gonna be in for a shock. The series is pure comedy, at least if the pilot is anything to go by.

OP
OP
Cornballer

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
If you're expecting another JCVD, you're gonna be in for a shock. The series is pure comedy, at least if the pilot is anything to go by.
Definitely. It's a goofy show, judging from the pilot, and reviews relayed that while there are some moments of introspection later in the season, it's primarily a comedy.
So is this out tomorrow correctly?
Yup. It should be up late tonight at some point, though they often release things a little early. It's only about 3 hrs long for the whole season, so it's an easy binge.

Zach

Oct 25, 2017
Hey, this has been on my watchlist for a million years. Will check it out soon.

Oct 27, 2017
Tn, USA
Awesome! Is it just me or are these shows coming out of nowhere? Maybe I'm somehow missing Amazon ads but while I voted for JCVJ back when they had that pilot thing I had no idea it was upon us.

All the 80's action guys poke fun at themselves from time to time (well, maybe not Segal, I think he thinks he is serious) but JCVD is definitely the best at it.

Deleted member 25600

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I waited to use my 7 day trail just for this series.

Though I have found some other great series on there as well now, like The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, and Le Mans: Racing is Everything. Shit, I'm not even a fan of motorsport but that was a really well made documentary series.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely. It's a goofy show, judging from the pilot, and reviews relayed that while there are some moments of introspection later in the season, it's primarily a comedy.
Yup. It should be up late tonight at some point, though they often release things a little early. It's only about 3 hrs long for the whole season, so it's an easy binge.
Excellent! I'm so stoked

torontoml

Oct 25, 2017
Just watched the first 4 episodes, and love it. I find it quite funny, hopefully it does well.

Shuri

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you guys want to see more about JVCD, check out Jean-Claude Van Damme: Behind Closed Doors

It was shot a few years ago, and it follows him and how he lives. It's kind in a documentary format, but there is no self promotion like the Osbornes or other shows like this.

It shows how he struggles with anxiety and other personal issues on a daily basis. He is very open about why he had a failing out with Holywood and how that whole scene chewed him out. He's very protective of his kids and deeply in love with his wife, who pretty much saved his life many times, even if they had many conflicts in the past. He's a very conflicted man with deep self esteem issues due to his very humble childhood (he grew up in total poverty), and the documentary is not afraid of showing his moments of total despair.

I felt it was very interesting and very humanizing. I grew up watching his movies, thinking how fucking cool he was, and we all remember how the medias made fun of him endlessly during his low points of his career in the late '90. Seeing that show made me understand why he was acting so out of it in those days.

Still, it's not a depressing watch, there are lots of funny moments (JCVD is super into animals and nature, and he owns a shelter for animals! Who knew this? He rescues street dogs he befriends during his shoots across Europe and brings them back to his shelter, no matter the costs), and it really shows a personal side of him.

I'll be checking out his new show for sure

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
Fell in love with the pilot as soon as JC opened a kitchen cabinet stocked to the brim with unfrosted strawberry pop tarts. Can't wait to see the rest of the episodes.

Oynox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
God I loved the Pilot episode and always wondered why they released all the other series from their pilot program but JCVJ... finally!

Clown_im_OP

Oct 28, 2017
The pilot totally had a Naked Gun thing going. Wouldn't mind if the whole series had a touch of that.

Zach

Oct 25, 2017
Was only able to watch 10 or 15 minutes of the pilot this morning. Liking it so far.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
God I loved the Pilot episode and always wondered why they released all the other series from their pilot program but JCVJ... finally!
They released a series based on the one where the preacher was sent to Mars with all the actually useful scientists and engineers, etc? I liked really like that one, but I don't think it got picked up.