• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Byakuya769

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
This is like when Piccolo fought Raditz or Dr. Doom helps out the Fantastic Four.

Pretty worthless to try and unlock immortality in order to rule over a planet whose ecology has colllapsed.

Jan 29, 2018
Good start.

But we'll see what organizations end up with this money and over how long a period of time it takes to donate it. The problem with hoping billionaire philanthropy will save us is that it's inherently undemocratic. A few people get an outsized influence over what solutions get funded.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
Lmao, you guys are such easy marks. It's no wonder economic inequality is worse than it's ever been.

$10 billion is great and all, but we shouldn't ignore what the cost to us is going to be.

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
He hasn't actually lost 10B. He literally just moved it from the scrooge McDuck money vault to the "climate change" money vault. The fund, because it's an investment fund, will generate income to offset the small amounts he gives out per year, because it's not just going to be 10B in a day, it's going to be like "50m over 5 years for you, 100m over 4 years for you". He generates wealth from the fund, while simultaneously claiming on his taxes that he donated 10B to wipe out any potential taxes he would've had to pay

He literally gets richer by claiming this, and it takes years (if not decades) before 10B is actually given out to the causes.

giphy.gif

Jul 18, 2018
He hasn't actually lost 10B. He literally just moved it from the scrooge McDuck money vault to the "climate change" money vault. The fund, because it's an investment fund, will generate income to offset the small amounts he gives out per year, because it's not just going to be 10B in a day, it's going to be like "50m over 5 years for you, 100m over 4 years for you". He generates wealth from the fund, while simultaneously claiming on his taxes that he donated 10B to wipe out any potential taxes he would've had to pay

He literally gets richer by claiming this, and it takes years (if not decades) before 10B is actually given out to the causes.
This. For everyone still putting their blind faith in billionaire's

Aurizen

Oct 25, 2017
Philly
The price is ambitious. But What will it plan to do? We're gonna need action and not more "research" and "data" on how fucked we are.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017

It amazes me how thick skull some people are to not understand this.

Saganator

Oct 26, 2017
He could do a lot more just by changing some company policies. They're such a massive retailer they could force companies to stop/cut back wasteful packing practices in order to sell on their platform.

Icolin

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midgar

sorry that i'm not licking the boots of a horrible billionaire who's only doing this to soften his image and...uh, this:

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Wow this is great! Good for him finally making an altruisti--

Had a feeling there'd be a catch.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
That's great. Hope the money will be spent wisely.

Technically these kinds of foundations aim to not spend ANY of the money.

They use the full sum as an investment portfolio, and then use the revenue generated from that as their budget to spend.

Unless this one will be radically different, this is a shelter for 10 billion$ and a lot of good PR for him. Maybe good will come out, that would be neat, but never as much good as spending 10 billion dollars right now on this issue. Making you think this is exactly what he is doing is part of the spin and propaganda.

Oct 28, 2017
Unless he is going to be putting that money toward getting climate conscious politicians elected, it's a band aid on an ax wound.

Snagret

Oct 25, 2017

Like, he's literally one of the greediest people on the planet and his company has already done enormous damage to the environment. This "donation" and messaging is basically just propaganda. The rich would rather invest in retaining their positions of wealth and power in a post-ecological collapse scenario because that's much more of a sure bet than spending their money reversing the damage that's been done. I do not at all trust that Bezos is any kind of exception.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
If he was taxed like rich people used to be then I guess he'd have given up about 60 billion?? That's a better figure, and he'd still have 60 billion. I don't think he'd go hungry with that left over. Obviously you'd need a sensible government who would spend that on saving the planet and giving people good healthcare rather than it mysteriously vanishing into the military industrial complex.

Alcoremortis

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think charity or foundations are really going to be the ultimate solution to this issue. It's so widespread and affects so many industries that either everyone needs to simultaneously wake up and become less greedy or government needs to intervene and regulate.

But I guess $10B might have a cultural impact by telling other rich people the richest guy around doesn't buy into moving to another planet or hiding in a bunker as viable solutions?

Oct 27, 2017
If he's being sincere it's a good move that will hopefully result in some positive differences.
He doesn't strike me as being at all sincere about anything, though.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Technically these kinds of foundations aim to not spend ANY of the money.

They use the full sum as an investment portfolio, and then use the revenue generated from that as their budget to spend.

Unless this one will be radically different, this is a shelter for 10 billion$ and a lot of good PR for him. Maybe good will come out, that would be neat, but never as much good as spending 10 billion dollars right now on this issue. Making you think this is exactly what he is doing is part of the spin and propaganda.
Could very well be true. But i can only hope this money will actually be spent on this. We definitely need some ultra rich to do some heavy lifting.
I don't have much faith in humanity but i do have some left. So let's wait and see. And hope. And hope some more ;).

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I can't see the embed, I'm guessing he's opening a charity where that 10 bill will be used how he sees fit. Better than nothing, and will surely be a big tax write off thing, like Mark Zuckerberg giving half to his own charity before going to the house floor, and Bezos' wife half on charity.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
Everytime it works... Bullshit philantropy with what pretty much amounts to blood money and people trip over themselves to congratulate their latest hero billionaire
Jeff Bezos 2024!!

It amazes me how thick skull some people are to not understand this.
so many ppl in this thread STILL putting blind faith in billionaires despite fucking us over repeatedly, depressing as hell.
People who delude themselves into believing they'll also be filthy rich someday don't like to criticize their role models.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Could very well be true. But i can only hope this money will actually be spent on this. We definitely need some ultra rich to do some heavy lifting.
I don't have much faith in humanity but i do have some left. So let's wait and see. And hope. And hope some more ;).

Just like Bill Gates foundation doesn't give any of his money away, don't hold your breath that this account will ever go less than 10B.

Älg

Banned
May 13, 2018
First you steal money from the public through tax avoidance, then you give a little bit of it back to appease the peasants. Now they can't complain because you're so charitable! An actual huge brain on this lad.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Just like Bill Gates foundation doesn't give any of his money away, don't hold your breath that this account will ever go less than 10B.
Don't worry, i know Era's stance on this. And i know how it works. I just like to think something will come out of it.
It's so weird. These people can make themselves the hero of time with that kind of money.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is that enough money for EtcetEra, or are people still going to call him out?

HaL64

Nov 3, 2017
paaoeqUULXC2MO9l7SPr8ysxoB3f5qSdwV_mi2LTbOI.jpg

Don't believe this tripe.
It takes immediate government action to halt climate change, not a billionaire's willy nilly, so he can pay less in taxes, donations over decades.