• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017

I mean sure you we can play the comparison olympics and say 'well if we lower the number and compare his total worth vs. dollar per hour he did nothing', but that's a fools game.

690,000 dollars.

How much did you donate, again?

He didn't donate it, Amazon did. Amazon is a trillion dollar company.

Cokie Bear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are people ignoring the fact he could donate 75% of his worth and suffer zero quality of life differences. 0.000006 or whatever the percentage is is just pathetic.

To be fair most people who donate to charity could probably afford to give more than they currently do and not have their quality of life affected. That includes most people in this thread. Sure he could have donated more but Id feel like a hypocrite criticising him for that when I know that I could donate more.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
Are Amazon as a wider business assisting through other means?

I only ask because I presume they could do some nifty stuff with the AWS tech

Oct 27, 2017

I mean sure you we can play the comparison olympics and say 'well if we lower the number and compare his total worth vs. dollar per hour he did nothing', but that's a fools game.

690,000 dollars.

5 minutes of effort is 5 minutes of effort. None of us have contributed to climate change or dodged taxes quite like amazon and Bezos though.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
69 cents

69 cents

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
1 million dollars is a sneeze you didn't anticipate at that point

Rosé Fighter

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 23, 2019
Go lick some boots someplace else

It's ok I can pretend to be a mega liberal who demands the blood of the rich too

But fact of the matter is, 690k dollars is more than any of you hypocrites have donated. 690k dollars.

Come back when you've donated more. Then maybe I'll take your criticisms seriously.

Money is money and the money he donates will do leagues better than the $5 you have donated(presumably)

As a liberal, we have to take the victories where we can. Demanding more is a fools game, especially in todays climate.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
It's ok I can pretend to be a mega liberal who demands the blood of the rich too

But fact of the matter is, 690k dollars is more than any of you hypocrites have donated. 690k dollars.

Come back when you've donated more. Then maybe I'll take your criticisms seriously.

Money is money and the money he donates will do leagues better than the $5 you have donated(presumably)
He's done more overall harm to this world and the people living in it than this entire thread combined though lmao

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Why do liberals/moderates/centrists point out how they support regulations on financial industries and progressive taxation, point out how colonialism/imperialism/slavery has extracted value out of others and the like and then when it comes to talking about individuals suddenly the ultra wealthy can do whatever they want with "their money" and percentages cease to exist.

Rosé Fighter

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 23, 2019
He's done more overall harm to this world and the people living in it than this entire thread combined though lmao

He's done no less than all the governments of the world combined.

Sure we can crucify every billionaire we run into, but the reality is that the harm that the world has faced, was done in spite of those billionaires.

Do you disagree? Or are you blind to history?

The latter.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why do liberals/moderates/centrists point out how they support regulations on financial industries and progressive taxation, point out how colonialism/imperialism/slavery has extracted value out of others and the like and then when it comes to talking about individuals suddenly the ultra wealthy can do whatever they want with "their money" and percentages cease to exist.

Because when these individuals become billionaires themselves they don't want everyone going after them

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
He's done no less than all the governments of the world combined.

Sure we can crucify every billionaire we run into, but the reality is that the harm that the world has faced, was done in spite of those billionaires.

Do you disagree? Or are you blind to history?

The latter.
I'm blind to history because I don't think we should be ruled by an elite class of ultra wealthy people lmao.

So now we're measuring Bezos' atrocities against entire governments? Yet you're still bragging about his donation amount when compared to individuals?

When did I ever boot lick shitty actions governments have taken?

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
you should be THANKFUL he even donated at all!

think where that 5 mins on a sunday could've gone otherwise

on DRUGS otherwise

Rosé Fighter

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 23, 2019
I'm blind to history because I don't think we should be ruled by an elite class of people lmao

So now we're measuring Bezos' atrocities against entire governments? Yet you're still bragging about his donation amount when compared to individuals?

When did I ever boot lick shitty actions governments have taken?

You're free to say "The elite ruined the world also the 690 k he donated is equivalent to 29 cents"
I'm free to say "And yet he has done less than the worlds governments combined"
At this point you're free to say "Actually bezos is the reason why the world is in ruins"
And I'm free to reply "Actually you're wrong"

Because it is. You're the one who's saying 'Actually bezos donated an equivalent of 29 cents'. Not me. He donated 690k. You can ignore that. You can donate more and prove me wrong! But you won't, and you can't.

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017

690,000 dollars.

69 cents

69 cents

What the hell? Is this a new meme? Why do you just copy what others have just written?

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
You're free to say "The elite ruined the world also the 690 k he donated is equivalent to 29 cents"
I'm free to say "And yet he has done less than the worlds governments combined"
At this point you're free to say "Actually bezos is the reason why the world is in ruins"
And I'm free to reply "Actually you're wrong"

Because it is. You're the one who's saying 'Actually bezos donated an equivalent of 29 cents'. Not me. He donated 690k. You can ignore that. You can donate more and prove me wrong! But you won't, and you can't.
I can't because I haven't become insanely lucky with the world lottery and ignored my moral compass the entire way.

Do you realize how many factors go into people becoming billionaires?

Bezos is not the reason the world is in ruins. "Government" is not the reason the world is in ruins. I'm not sure why you think this is some liberal v conservative:government v individual debate. I'm not denying that world governments have contributed some pretty gross and awful things to the world?

Bezos didn't ruin the world but he sure has contributed pretty negatively to it through all of the terrible things he's done. But more than that, all of the things he's NOT doing with more wealth than we could ever imagine.

I'm confused here. I'm not saying governments are infallible. You seem to be unable to criticize a billionaire at all though, even beyond this donation you don't seem to have any issues or insight as to how he acquired that much wealth in the first place.

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Counting other people's money, telling them how they should spend it, drawing a subjective moral line... Yep, this is an Era thread.

Where does the line stop? Should he donate to every single cause then? Or just the one's that are trending on Twitter?

Give me a break. I bet most people complaining didn't even donate.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Counting other people's money, telling them how they should spend it, drawing a subjective moral line... Yep, this is an Era thread.

Where does the line stop? Should he donate to every single cause then? Or just the one's that are trending on Twitter?

Do you not pay taxes or vote in elections?

Oct 25, 2017

This is the truth.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
You can donate more and prove me wrong! But you won't, and you can't.
"And you can't"

Yes, the issue is that the average person cannot donate as much as Jeff Bezos. Thanks for keeping up. There is also nobody who could donate more than Jeff Bezos, but he decides to hoard his money like a dragon

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Sure Im the one blocking world peace

Or whatever it is you want. Theres realists, and then theres those who live in fantasy. I count myself in the former
Why do you consider not allowing multi billionaires to exist to be a fantasy land leftist daydream?

It's a long shot yes but something that's still theoretically possible through policy. Hell two of the candidates for US president have both said it!

Also how did we get to world peace lol

Rosé Fighter

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 23, 2019
I know many who've donated 0.

Not sure what to be upset about.

I read the thread.

You should be upset that he didnt donate the ERA prerequisite.

Why do you consider not allowing multi billionaires to exist to be a fantasy land leftist daydream?

It's a long shot yes but something that's still theoretically possible through policy. Hell two of the candidates for US president have both said it!

Because the world we live in allows for billionaires?

Am I supposed to disregard reality?

Deleted member 15440

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Warned: historical reference implying violence
man if you people lose it this hard from some mild criticism i can't wait to see what happens when the guillotines come out

Chem

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 1, 2020
The vast majority of his money should be put back into society. Having one person control so much wealth has a corrosive effect on society.
...yes. Look around at the fucking world we live in.
Funding anti-science think tanks for climate change denialism.

Murdoch press indoctrinating a sizeable portion of the population. Even now they're disseminating a conspiracy the bushfires were caused by arsonists.

Hi guys,

Upon looking back at my comments, I would like to apologize to you all. They weren't needed and frankly weren't relevant to the convo.

Please forgive me.

Oct 27, 2017
Lmao at the people defending those poor poor billionaires heading up trillion dollar companies being lambasted when people rightfully point out their charitable contributions equate to an average joe throwing one cent at some homeless guy. Like if LOTR was written today people would be like Smaug isn't a bad guy, he deserves his hoard, he's worked hard for it, instead of complaining about it what have you done to become a firebreathing dragon sitting atop a pile of gold huh?

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017

I mean he probably could donate to every single cause because that's just how rich he is 🤷‍♀️

Deleted member 38573

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 17, 2018
Sure Im the one blocking world peace

Or whatever it is you want. Theres realists, and then theres those who live in fantasy. I count myself in the former

Nah just the politics you subscribe to. There's money and the technology to dramatically slow down climate change.

But instead you clap for a companies PR stunt whilst they continue to plunder the planet for fossil fuels.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
i love it when ERA liberals go mask off

christ, just get outta the way already

Disagreeing with leftists isn't "mask off" moment. The world is filled with people who don't see eye to eye with you on everything, including other leftists.

If you have to ask your competition to take themselves out of the equation to win you've already lost.

man if you people lose it this hard from some mild criticism i can't wait to see what happens when the guillotines come out

This thread covered that, the guillotines are a fantasy.

Because when these individuals become billionaires themselves they don't want everyone going after them

You're confusing conservatives with liberals, it's really bizarre.

Nah just the politics you subscribe to. There's money and the technology to dramatically slow down climate change.

But instead you clap for a companies PR stunt whilst they continue to plunder the planet for fossil fuels.

Sure there is but you don't know how to ask them politically relevant to combat climate change. That's billion dollar question nobody has found the solution to.

Or are they simply addressing the very real difficult obstacles which make the progress we want happen?

Rosé Fighter

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 23, 2019

There is.

Unfortunately there isnt some magic missile to force the rich to donate all their money. I mean there is, but violence is frowned upon
..so here we are.

Again, why do you say this wrt to billionaires but not any other societal problem?

Because this thread is about a billionaire and not some strawmen societal problems?