• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
May 9, 2018

Jeff Bezos wants Amazon to do its part in helping Australia recover from a series of bushfires that have ravaged the country in recent weeks.

Bezos said in a Saturday evening Instagram post that Amazon would be donating $1 million Australian dollars (roughly $690, 000 USD) in "needed provisions and services" to help Australia recover from the devastating fires.

EDIT: The money is being donated on behalf of Amazon, not his personal donation, but given that the source of the news is his personal Instagram, the optics are blurred.

As the replies to that tweet show, Twitter is not happy.

Last edited:

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
7kN2wC8ZroRKqNZjyksCXFWWzslB1yLTpivVf-AGse0.gif

TronLight

Jun 17, 2018
Is that, I don't know, the most he can write off from his taxes (lol imagine him paying taxes) or something?

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
The fact that a single woman raised and gave more money with a nude then a company that makes billions and probably pays zero tax in australia to boot just sums up capitalism.

Company should be ashamed of themselves honestly.

Seneset

Oct 27, 2017
Limbus Patrum
Correct me if I'm wrong, but this isn't even his personal money. It's Amazon's money, right?

Still, I can't look a gift horse in the mouth. This is better than nothing.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Amazing that the billionaire defense force is already in this thread.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Did Amazon even donate to help combate the real Amazon from being burned up last year?

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Probably about a billion if Twitter is any indication.

For all those complaining about how much he donated, why dont you look to all the thousand upon thousand of millionaires that HAVENT donated. At least he's doing something.

starting to think this may be one reason people donate anonymously.

maybe Bezos did it publicly to inspire other rich people.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
It is not him who is donating but Amazon.

Donating is always a good thing, especially given the situation in Australia.

Quantza

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Capitalism has a measurement problem.

On one-side, too-high salaries, golden parachutes, and over-valued shares.
And on the other, forced measurement of subjective decisions (maybe some people should take an epistemology class, or two?)

Anyway, he could donate more and aid with rebuilding homes and replanting trees / reintroducing species, but why should he specifically do that, given a donation that appeared on social media which looked too small relative to his income?
The problem is the extreme greed and highly skewed income distribution in most developed countries, not just him.

Those complaining can't see the forest for the trees.
Amazing that the billionaire defense force is already in this thread.
Just saying that I am not defending him.
I believe that new economic systems, regulations and technologies are the answer.
At least, a world with negative interest rates and no consequences for long-term quantitative easing (which indiscriminately devalues the currency of all citizens in a country), while having 'austerity', makes no sense to me.

Last edited:

jakomocha

Oct 29, 2017
California
Everyone defending him should watch the Patriot Act episode "Why Billionaires Won't Save Us."

Is it a nice gesture from Bezos? Sure. But when you really think about how goddamn much money 1 billion dollars is, let alone the 110 billion he's worth, you see how hollow his actions really are

Dommo

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
So he donated a higher percentage of his salary than most people did...

If you donated money, I... don't think he did.

Either way, it's something he didn't have to do, so in that sense, it's a commendable thing. Any amount of money is valuable to the cause, and 690,000 is nothing to sneeze at, even if it is to Bezos.

The larger problem at play is that we shouldn't have to rely on the amused pity and empathy of billionaires to bail us out of disasters and no single person should ever be in a situation where giving away 690k is equivalent to flicking a dollar into a candy machine for the rest of us. It's all fucked up that we rely on the potential for good PR of celebrities and business people in times of need instead of strong and well-funded emergency systems in place that a democratically elected government oversees.

2PiR

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
Thats a weird number, why not just make it a million lol of half a million. Anyways, I am not going to criticize him over this. Its his money, he earned it, he can do whatever he wants with it. I donated whatever I could.

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
Lmao @ billionnaire defense force.

Get off your high fucking horses. Dude is an asshole, but he donated (or his company did) a shit load more than most rich people. So what if it a tiny ass percentage of his salary.

It's like non-voters complaining about who won. Shit is sad.