• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
it's definitely creepy, but if their early relationship is as distant as is generally described, i honestly don't see it as all that different from any other ancient dude with a ridiculously young wife. just being an old pervert, and they have been married for over two decades now so eh, i don't really care. it's really the accusations of him molesting dylan farrow that are the messed up part.

It's worse when it's the daughter of your former partner that you met as a teenager. Not a random young person

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Everyone you like who is

1) Rich
2) Famous
3) A combination of 1 and 2

are probably horrible people who have gotten away with it due to their access to money and ability to exert power on others.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
always facinating when people jump in front of unnecessary bullets

Breakfast Boy

Banned
Aug 15, 2019
User Banned (Permanent): Dismissing Allegations of Sexual Misconduct Over Multiple Posts; Prior Ban for Similar Behavior
How are there so many people in this thread not agreeing with innocent until proven guilty?

I don't know what Woody Allen is being accused of but it doesn't matter. Innocent until proven guilty. If guilty then throw shade.

Oct 28, 2017
Woody is arguably the greatest filmmaker of all time and I'd be lying if I were to say I wasn't a huge fan of his work.

There's a lot pf nuance going on in regards to the allegations between him and the Farrow family. I'm ultimately not sure what to make of it, the man was found innocent when taken to court, but I have a tendency to believe that when there's smoke, there's fire, etc.

softfocus

Oct 30, 2017
I love Woody's films, despite the creepiness in the likes of Manhattan etc. But, if he did these things, then I'm not going to defend him. I've read up on some of the stuff about what went on and it's really hard to say whether he is or not.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
How are there so many people in this thread not agreeing with innocent until proven guilty?

I don't know what Woody Allen is being accused of but it doesn't matter. Innocent until proven guilty. If guilty then throw shade.
People are free to support and drop people as they please. They're free to believe allegations of sexual abuse/accusers.

No one here is on a jury, no one here assigns a legal consequence. Stop spouting off this nonsense.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Goldblum is right, people deserve the right to be viewed as innocent until proven guilty. Problem for old Jeffy here is that the evidence against Woody is stacked sky high.
It sucks when people conflate the court of public opinion with the court of law, and it detracts from the #MeToo movement entirely.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why are people bringing up Soon-yi and being like "oh it's gross but ok"

this isn't about him marrying Soon-yi. This is about him SEXUALLY MOLESTING HIS 7 YEAR OLD ADOPTED DAUGHTER. Not Soon-yi, Dylan Farrow.

Oct 29, 2017
Was in a bar drinking one night when Jeff goldblum came on tv. Started talking about how rad he was and one patron said he used to lurk some mall in the Pittsburgh area trying to pick up young girls all the time. Not sure how much truth there was to it

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
In a general sense I agree with the whole innocent until proven guilty thing but in cases like this there is so much smoke you gotta assume there's something to it.

I don't really follow Woody Allen much but I've definitely heard about him going for underage girls n shit. Doesn't everybody know about this at this point?

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Nobody is interested in their hot takes and shitty opinions. It's one of those occasions where they should think long and hard before they speak, and then at the end of it all, just don't say shit at all.

Well clearly they do with the way everybody talks about it, people freaking out when they find out their favorite celebrity doesn't walk on water.

Quit worshipping people you don't know. Youtubers, Streamers, celebrities, etc.

There's like a small handful of celebrities I have an attachment to and I don't worship the ground they walk on, but enjoy the roles they've played in movies. I'm not losing any sleep if an actor I like says something I don't like.

You can lose respect for someone but not hate them. That's a thing.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
"Innocent until proven guilty" is a legal standard. People who bring that up are the same that say "We have freedom of speech!" when someone says something stupid and is criticized for it. It's such a fucking lazy, disingenuous, empty thing to say.

KingK

Oct 27, 2017
I remember reading a long time ago about Goldblum dating women in their early 20s or something, so he's been setting off my creep alarm for a while. Would not be at all surprised if some bad stuff came out about him.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017

this isn't about him marrying Soon-yi. This is about him SEXUALLY MOLESTING HIS 7 YEAR OLD ADOPTED DAUGHTER. Not Soon-yi, Dylan Farrow.

I think a lot of people conflate the two or aren't even aware of the Dylan Farrow allegations.

The "facts" in the Woody Allen case, as far as I'm concerned, are that Dylan Farrow, her mother (who was with Allen for 12 fucking years), and her brother - who happens to be a world famous journalist responsible for initiating the metoo movement - all support the allegation that he is a pedophile. That's not conspiracy, that's not let's "wait and see." He is a pedophile. I'm not really interested whether a judge felt it met the legal test of criminality.

(to say nothing of the fact that he ALSO married his partner's adopted daughter FFS)

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018

I mean for me the thing about Soon-yi is that his interaction with her should be professionally-disqualifying behavior. Compared to molesting Dylan Farrow (which, to be clear, I do believe happened based on testimony -- and his behavior with Soon-yi) he hasn't even tried to keep it secret. (And, of course, intimidating folks into burying these reports adds another level of scumminess on top of this behavior...)

A reminder for everyone out there that "innocent until proven guilty" is a concept used to shield potentially misidentified perpetrators from state violence and not a litmus test for, hell, what fucking constitutes proof in the first place. Testimony is evidence.