• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
Earlier this month, I reported Nintendo isn't planning a Direct for June. As an update to that, I'll add that Nintendo isn't planning a Direct at all for now. It's telling development partners not to wait for a Direct even if they have a big announcement.

As for first-party games, expect Nintendo to repeat its Paper Mario: The Origami King strategy. Surprise trailer drops out of nowhere can still build a lot of excitement. The company also doesn't have to worry about meeting expectations if you don't know something is coming.

And what's coming is Pikmin 3 Deluxe, 3D Mario remasters, and Super Mario 3D World Deluxe. It could have some surprises beyond that, but it may actually wait for a Direct to get into those.

venturebeat.com

Not E3: When to expect Sony’s and Microsoft’s next big summer events

We are not getting an E3 in 2020. Instead, we are getting an endless march of loosely affilliated announcements. But what about Sony and Microsoft?

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Oh that's depressing

Surprise drops may build excitement on their own but they don't dominate the news cycle for the few days before and after the direct. You don't get the hype buildup (direct in 2 days!) and then big announcements building on top of big announcements with smaller games getting exposure by rubbing elbows with those announcements. From my experience when a game stealth drops you get a few days of "oh that was cool" and then it's forgotten.

Last edited:

The TMO

Oct 18, 2018
"It could have some surprises beyond that, but it may actually wait for a Direct to get into those. " So a direct is coming or not?!

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So the big holiday games are going to be ports? It's understandable given current t development difficulties though

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Having shadow drop announcements is just as cool. Sucks for the smaller games that could've benefitted from the exposure though.

Jeff doesn't say that's all the lineup obviously, read the article people.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
The paper mario reveal worked out well, so I guess Nintendo figures for right now they can sustain themselves without a direct and just dump stuff on twitter and youtube. It does stink that third parties wont have a coveted direct spot to get some good advertising.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just Paper Mario and a bunch of re-releases for the foreseeable future is a bit of a depressing forecast.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's already confirmed we're getting Smash news in June though, isn't it?

Pollen

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Not surprising. I honestly prefer the drip-feed method where Nintendo titles are announced individually.

This seems to be working on a marketing standpoint too. The new Paper Mario title was probably a topic in a new Direct, but its individual announcement has been well-received.

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
??? That's fine... but does it really take that much effort to throw a direct together???
Yes.

But this report says one thing and concludes with another. Edit: This statement was made in haste and based on thread title which stopped at "at all" and didn't include "for now" as it does now.

Last edited:

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
"3D Mario remasters, and Super Mario 3D World Deluxe"

Does "3D mario remasters" still only include 64 and Galaxy 1? I'd love a Galaxy 2 remaster.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
unsurprising. But people still held on to the fact that there would be a direct. Completely ignoring how unprepared Japan was for the whole pandemic

Oct 27, 2017
"It could have some surprises beyond that, but it may actually wait for a Direct to get into those. " So a direct is coming or not?!
He says there are no current plans for a direct, not that there's never going to be a direct again. Nintendo could have more games (other than the rumored ones) to announce, but they could be far off and so they'd just put them in the next direct they do

Masterspeed

Oct 25, 2017
England
I'm fine with this. 2020 is going to be a rocky year for gaming news, I'm dreading the effects this Covid shit will have in the coming years.

Oct 27, 2017
Not surprising. I honestly prefer the drip-feed method where Nintendo titles are announced individually.

This seems to be working on a marketing standpoint too. The new Paper Mario title was probably a topic in a new Direct, but its individual announcement has been well-received.
yeah, it truly feels like paper mario is getting more discussion this way. it's kind of nice.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017

They're not planning one at all at this point (as in, the summer one is scrapped entirely, not delayed). They will of course probably have one at some point in the further future.

I swear, sometimes when people read "insider" stuff they try to be obtuse.

Exile20

Oct 25, 2017
They should show a Nindies direct if anything. Big games don't need a direct but indie games do.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I imagine the positive reaction to Paper Mario has pretty much convinced them that separate drops is good enough.