• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
Watched Jeff Grubbs video and I think Microsoft just locked down how many people know about Elden Ring
They probably know it is the most hype E3 game possible right now, so they really dont want people to know about it
IE his source was told its not there

Just wild speculation on my part but I choose to still believe
(Anyone that thinks its launching this year though is insane, I'm guessing early 2022)

That seems right to me, dont know why people think FF16 is before Forspoken

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
tenor.gif

Not that I mind either way, but I assumed this wouldn't be the case. I feel like Todd (or whomever was speaking about it before this) had mentioned multiple times that the game would need a new generation of hardware.

edit:

found it -
"[Next-generation] to us means two things. It does mean hardware and it does mean software on our side, and it also means gameplay - what does the next generation of epic single-player RPGs feel like to us? What systems we put it out on, what's the hardware requirements – [that's] still to be determined. We're pushing it. We're thinking very, very far in future so we're building something that will handle next-generation hardware. That's what we're building on right now, that's where our mind is, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't exist on the current systems as well."

it's from 2018 so they could have easily found that the title could work on current gen between then and now

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
"Ink has yet to dry on Xbox/Kojima"

So, implying the ink is on the paper though?

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
I wouldn't be surprised about Hellblade 2 at all. Technically, Unreal 5 just came out at the beginning of the year. Even if they had early access, they could still be in the phase of porting the project to the engine. I would expect to see more gameplay from it next E3 (2022), with a release anywhere from 2022 to 2023, unless they really go big with the game.

For Elden Ring, that's surprising, considering we just saw footage getting circulated earlier this year. Either it'll be at the Namco booth, or it's really just that far out still.

Hopefully the lack of mention about Avowed and Fable means we might actually get gameplay for one or both of those this year!

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
We really need to stop putting conversational things on podcasts and streams out there as if this is being reported. It just leads to people being toxic to the person who may have just been talking to other people.

*shrug*

m4st4

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised about Hellblade 2 at all. Technically, Unreal 5 just came out at the beginning of the year. Even if they had early access, they could still be in the phase of porting the project to the engine. I would expect to see more gameplay from it next E3 (2022), with a release anywhere from 2022 to 2023, unless they really go big with the game.

For Elden Ring, that's surprising, considering we just saw footage getting circulated earlier this year. Either it'll be at the Namco booth, or it's really just that far out still.

Hopefully the lack of mention about Avowed and Fable means we might actually get gameplay for one or both of those this year!

Is Hellblade 2 confirmed to be Unreal 5? If so, then wow, cannot wait to see it, even more so now.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
Is Hellblade 2 confirmed to be Unreal 5? If so, then wow, cannot wait to see it, even more so now.

It is indeed
www.gamespot.com

Hellblade 2 Will Use Unreal Engine 5, Microsoft Confirms

It's the second game from Xbox that will use Epic's brand-new game development tools.

I can't wait to play it, but given that it's on Unreal 5, I think the wait is understandable. I was really hoping the game was further along, considering it was the Series X's first real reveal, but I'd love to see Ninja Theory go huge on this game. I have a feeling they (and no doubt MS) want to compete with God of War to some extent. I can only imagine it could take years to make a game that huge with Unreal 5 fidelity.

Having said that, I think MS really needs to show something running on Series X with Unreal 5 fidelity. We all know it will be an Unreal 5 beast, but I think people want to see some proof so they can sit back and be excited about how great games on the console could eventually look.

m4st4

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It is indeed
www.gamespot.com

Hellblade 2 Will Use Unreal Engine 5, Microsoft Confirms

It's the second game from Xbox that will use Epic's brand-new game development tools.

I can't wait to play it, but given that it's on Unreal 5, I think the wait is understandable. I was really hoping the game was further along, considering it was the Series X's first real reveal, but I'd love to see Ninja Theory go huge on this game. I have a feeling they (and no doubt MS) want to compete with God of War to some extent. I van only imagine it could take years to make a game that huge with Unreal 5 fidelity.
Yeah, if it's Unreal 5, I'm not even mad now lol. And expect it to be a late 2022, but most likely 2033 title.

MistahS

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Sep 2, 2018
I pray that he's wrong about Hellblade. Even if it's just screenshots of the updated armor for Senua

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
Yeah, if it's Unreal 5, I'm not even mad now lol. And expect it to be a late 2022, but most likely 2033 title.

2033...hahaha. Xbox Series X 4 here we come!

Seriously though, I wouldn't even be surprised to see a game that huge take 6-7 years to make. I would be sad if it doesn't launch by 2023 at the latest, but who knows. I hope we get some sort of update, and a glimmer soon.

I have a feeling that Ninja Theory has been laying the groundwork for Hellblade 2 for 2-3 years now, and have probably been building the levels and game systems. Hopefully the engine transition is smooth, and they are able to hone thier art pipeline. I also hope Unreal 5 itself isn't a giant broken mess.

m4st4

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
2033...hahaha. Xbox Series X 4 here we come!

Seriously though, I wouldn't even be surprised to see a game that huge take 6-7 years to make. I would be surprised if it doesn't launch byb2023 at the latest, but who knows. I hope we get some sort of update, and a glimmer soon.
OMG... It's too late here. x'D 2023! And agreed, if it's MS' take on GoW...

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Watched Jeff Grubbs video and I think Microsoft just locked down how many people know about Elden Ring
They probably know it is the most hype E3 game possible right now, so they really dont want people to know about it
IE his source was told its not there

Just wild speculation on my part but I choose to still believe
(Anyone that thinks its launching this year though is insane, I'm guessing early 2022)

I can answer this, because FFXVI was in pre-pro in 2016 when work on Heavensward wrapped, and started full production by 2019 when we got the unit 3 hiring notices.

Plus when you saw those first two trailer FFXVI definitely seemed a lot more ready-to-go with its full story cinematics and gameplay.

I'm not really sure right now what the state of both games are but I don't think either is as far off as people think, considering there were insider rumblings that XVI was at some point targeting a 2021 release.

AstralSphere

Feb 10, 2021
If FFXVI started full production in 2019, I really doubt we will see a release before late 2022 at the absolute earliest.

Even if we hadn't had the pandemic screw development schedules globally.

RaySpace

Banned
May 9, 2021
"He thinks this... he hopes that..."

Why are we making a thread based on this man's predictions and guesses? If Jeff Grubb had any newsworthy information, he would've written an article about it.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Someone hasnt been following the h/w shortages news.

Directly quoting Microsoft's CFO here.

but I suppose you're more aware of the issue than him 🙄

'Supply outpacing demand' simply means you'll be able to find them on shelves, not that it won't sell. Especially in territories not US and the UK.

"He thinks this... he hopes that..."

Why are we making a thread based on this man's predictions and guesses? If Jeff Grubb had any newsworthy information, he would've written an article about it.

I'm as perplexed as you are. Man's clearly making educated guesses - and stating it as such - and you see people expressing disappointment here as if it's a certainty.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All 3 of those games were announced way too early.
The vast majority of the first party Xbox games announced for this new gen were announced way too early.

But they wouldn't have heard the end of it if they just announced nothing

I weep for the people who thought most of these games were right around the corner. Most of the first party games that are being hyped up from that Xbox pre-launch presentation last summer will probably end up being mid gen games.

I really feel bad for that one poster who tends to find anyone talking about Everwild to point out that "no, they DO know what the game is and it's really far along in development!"

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
Directly quoting Phil Spencer here.

'Supply outpacing demand' simply means you'll be able to find them on shelves, not that it won't sell. Especially in territories not US and the UK.

To bolster your point (about supply, I'm betting Grubb is right here) the Series S has been available in the UK this entire month, at least on Amazon and at Game. The Series X still sells out super quick though.

I think you're right about the US especially, it'll be months before it's easy to get an Xbox here, Series S or otherwise. It does look like stock is starting to improve for the systems (XBS) in general, however, I've been seeing quite a few drop alerts on Twitter lately.

Last edited:

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
The vast majority of the first party Xbox games announced for this new gen were announced way too early.

But they wouldn't have heard the end of it if they just announced nothing

I weep for the people who thought most of these games were right around the corner.

People buy game consoles for a 7 year cycle. I've never understood this enthusiast forum's penchant for complaining about gamers being given a heads up about the games coming to their consoles.

so yes, tell people what they can expect in 2023, 2024, 2025. Progressively pull back the curtain with gameplay etc as we get closer to reveal.

imagine not revealing games you're working on when your gaming business has been under an 'xbox has no games' narrative for nearly half a decade.

Does nobody here talk to gamers in the real world?!

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
Directly quoting Microsoft's CFO here.

but I suppose you're more aware of the issue than him 🙄

I'm as perplexed as you are. Man's clearly making educated guesses - and stating it as such - and you see people expressing disappointment here as if it's a certainty.

Lets see how accurate you guys are at predicting the future esp in these times.

Jun 15, 2020
PSO 2: New Genesis in June. The Ascent in July. Halo Infinite, Forza Horizon 5, The Gunk, Psychonauts 2, CrossfireX, Darktide, and Flight Sim on consoles all before the year's end. Plus Age of Empires IV on PC.

The sky is not falling for Xbox, ya'll...

Last edited:

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Jason Schreier said last year on Triple Click podcast that :
"I've heard from people who are familiar with the game's development that it's actually been in development for at least four years in some capacity, so it's coming sooner than people think."

I guess people extrapolate from that.
Add to the fact the Forspoken presentation by SONY was some sort of proof of concept that seems years away of release (some people labelled it a vaporware at that time) while FF XVI had "real" gameplay.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
There seems to be Jeff Grubb leaks most days now. I'm not doubting the info, but is anyone keeping track of things he's gotten right?

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Please people, do not apply your pre-pandemic standards to E3. All this year that will be shown, we shouldn't take it for granted at all. It's like people know the pandemic is happening, but they forget about it as soon as they watch any new game showcase.

Sep 7, 2020
There seems to be Jeff Grubb leaks most days now. I'm not doubting the info, but is anyone keeping track of things he's gotten right?
I would say the vast majority of what he has said has been true, no journalist, leaker, insider, etc ever gets everything right because that is the nature of an industry that is volatile and changes constantly but he is very consistent with his thoughts and suggestions.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Everwild is a long way off.
There is currently no actual game and was having major issues getting off the ground.

Havel

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't Grubb the same guy who said that we wouldn't have to wait for months for Elden Ring news, but weeks back in December? He doesn't seem particularly authoritative on the matter.

In any case, I personally never expected to see Elden Ring at E3 this year either so my expectations are rock bottom at the moment.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Isn't Grubb the same guy who said that we wouldn't have to wait for months for Elden Ring news, but weeks back in December? He doesn't seem particularly authoritative on the matter.
For what it's worth it seems like they had their trailer ready to go and to be shown based on it leaking. then I guess the game was internally delayed (due to Covid) and Namco decided not to show it anymore. It doesn't make him wrong, necessarily.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
Is it confirmed that MS has marketing rights for ER? I feel like From/Bamco have shown nothing of the game so far to be sure that MS has the rights over Sony.

For the record I do hope that MS is keeping it tight lipped about it as a surprise, if I have to suffer anymore no shows of ER until the end of the year I might just turn into the fucking Joker....