• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Jeff mentions how there may still be a performance expectation for games despite being on Game Pass, and that a far bigger game like Halo Infinite ultimately failing to provide a cushion of sorts by bringing in tons of money may hurt games like Hi-Fi Rush. We have heard statements like these before with the most recent being from Sony on how even Call of Duty helps to fund their first party content. Or how huge successes like Spider-Man, Zelda, etc... allow room for comparatively smaller successes or experiments that don't work out.

Call of Duty could serve that role for Microsoft (assuming the ABK deal goes through), but Jeff says it still feels like Microsoft's decision making in regard to game management is handled sloppily.

Jeff also mentions that management is not happy with the state of Xbox. He doesn't go into more detail about that specifically, but says commentary regarding any dissatisfaction with Xbox is more to acknowledge and diagnose issues it has because they matter.

---
22:25-24:50 = Hi-Fi Rush
29:38-30:25 = Management unhappy

www.youtube.com

PS5 IS SELLING | Game Mess Decides 297

We look at recent video game sales data and comment on the state of PlayStation and Xbox. And we're picking the Mt. Rushmore of video game songs.Get 20% OFF ...

Zekes

Oct 25, 2017
As a non-Xbox owner, I paid $1 for GPU to play Hi-fi Rush on my MacBook via XCloud, sorry ya'll

Dale Copper

Apr 12, 2018
Can't say I am too shocked as I had a feeling it was a game that just people talked a whole lot rather than a bought/tried it out.

DGxO

Oct 21, 2018
Who woulda thunk that devaluing your own titles by putting them out on a cheap subscription service would hurt the sales expectations of major exclusives. Never could have seen this coming.

It's a shame because I love HiFI Rush, but it's clear Gamepass's growth has plateaued and I don't know how much longer Microsoft is willing to throw money away trying to win market share for it by tying major exlusives to it, especially when markee titles like Halo Infinite flop.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Hasn't it been a year and a half since the last big retail game on Xbox from MS? Management should be pissed. It's kind of embarrassing to be so consistently bad at this for so long. Game Pass is awesome in theory, but it needs big first party titles. Maybe the AB deal closes soon and Diablo hits the service this summer.

craven68

Jun 20, 2018
I really think xbox need to look at getting more player...hifi rush was excellent, getting great review but what it has missing it's xbox/pc player. They should look to attract people that like playing this kind of game. This game was made for japan....but no one in japan had played this game for exemple.
They need a lot of this kind of games, then these players will come, and then it will succeed.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Xbox hasn't really had the slate of first party content necessary to entice consumers imo. Something like Hi-Fi Rush needs bigger titles to bring users into the ecosystem. It is a quality title but I never would expect it to make any money/good money with the current state of Xbox.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
But... it was "free". You can't get everyone on board with game pass and then expect the games on game pass to make money. That money was made on game pass subs.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
I mean wouldn't 99% of people that play it have done so via GamePass regardless?

Colour me shocked that putting games on a subscription service day 1 makes them not sell.

Oct 25, 2017
At the end of the day as good as gamepass is, it's hard to see how it generates more revenue then the Day 1 to Increasing sales to streaming service model.

Except where microtransactions are also involved similar to Free To Play games, and if gamepass is snaring folk who would only usually buy one game a year.

One day we'll see the financials behind it all leak and it'll be a very interesting read.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not really sure how they can expect any kind of sales target to be hit when it's a niche game strath dropped on to gamepass.

Regarding the state of Xbox, I don't think I have to say much more than the obvious. Mismanagement of developers is creating a drought of releases and customers are running out of patience.

jaekeem

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if microsoft throwing money at gamepass will end up a ZIRP phenomenon like the media streaming wars in tv

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
I hope its great critical reception will be taken into account though, Microsoft really needs that kind of games in its catalogue in terms of image and diversity. Both it and Pentiment are a breath of fresh air.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I'm sorry what did they expect? It's on Gamepass. Did they expect people to buy the Steam version or something?

Deleted member 108302

Jan 29, 2022
As the one person who bought it on Steam, this is a real shame. It's one of the best games Microsoft's put out in years.

Wingnut

Jul 11, 2022
Jeff Grubb with story time again.

I just waiting that he announce again a secret project that only he knows which will be soon scrapped what also only he knows.

EraLurker24

Feb 9, 2022
Can't say I am too shocked as I had a feeling it was a game that just people talked a whole lot rather than a bought/tried it out.

It was a neat concept and I'm glad some enjoyed it, but I couldn't stick with it personally. Kinda average story and the level design doesn't really appeal to me in this day and age. I can't put my finger on it but games like this put me to sleep these days. Had a similar problem with High on Life.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
wasn't gamepass meant to make these sorts of worries redundant? That's why the developers have freedom to do them. Like what's the point if they have sales targets, since they aren't going to meet them due to being a smaller title and on gamepass.

antispin

Oct 27, 2017
…Microsoft's decision making in regard to game management is handled sloppily.

It does appear sloppy. Either the leadership has not given enough thought or planning to integration of all their studios' output, release and marketing; or the planning is done and it is just taking time to fruition (it can take time for a big org).

I still think we need to check back next generation to pass judgment on how MS is managing Xbox Studios and Gamepass.

Wasn't the whole point of gamepass is they don't need to look at this stuff?

wasn't gamepass meant to make these sorts of worries redundant? That's why the developers have freedom to do them. Like what's the point if they have sales targets, since they aren't going to meet them due to being a smaller title and on gamepass.

There has to be a metric to measure. It may not be copies "sold" but maybe time spent by users or completion rate. This is the reason there was concern that a sub service will track metric(s) which maybe detrimental to traditional game design.

As an aside: even without a sub, we are already seeing signs of game design to encourage completion rates (E.g: the talky protag or sidekicks who help you solve puzzles and/or move forward. Another e.g: the yellow markers on textures which show you interaction points or the way ahead.)

Last edited:

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
This feels like some shit he just made up honestly. I'm sure Xbox is ok with how Hi-Fi Rush did considering it was such a critical success. It was a game they shadow dropped on Game Pass. I doubt they expected it to make a ton of money.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
RE Game Pass and performance metrics: In an interview with MinnMax Josh Sawyer mentions that Pentiment was labelled an "art game" internally from the jump, meaning it was excused from any of the usual expectations Microsoft would apply to a first-party release.

Would make sense if Xbox wasn't just handing that designation out like Candy, but I'd be
curious to know WHAT their expectations were for a game like this, given that it's being given away on a service like GP

Witchcraft

"This guy are sick"
Oct 9, 2022
That's a shame if true, the game is fantastic. I do think there's clearly something behind game pass impacting sales on Xbox though despite all the counter claims. If a first party well received Japanese game can't find success on the platform it's no surprise other publishers may be hesitant with no guarantee of ROI.

I imagine even with Gamepass they still have targets that they want game to reach like internal metrics and such thats pretty much the same as sale targets like Netflix does.

supercommodore

Prophet of Truth
Apr 13, 2020
UK
It's the type of game to keep people interested enough to stay subbed between big games, if the big games aren't there what are management expecting Hi-fi Rush to do by itself. Do they even understand their own business model?

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
That was PR talk, every subscription service out there has many metrics about engagement. Just look at the number of series Netflix has canceled over the years.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
After burning through so much money with with unproven projects that fail to leave a lasting impressions on the broader market i expect MS tune to change quite a bit once the ABK deal is done.

Time to recoup some of money they spent the last couple years to keep the Xbox boat afloat.

They have also been missing GP subscriber targets for a while though.
On some level these games still have to performance, MS isnt just spending on money for years without a clear path to recoup all of that down the line.

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
I can only imagine that it removes the money incentive that lots of studios have when it comes to meeting goals and management has yet to figure out how to get their studios to meet certain targets, although that is also a problem with Xbox marketing which has been atrocious.

But regardless, this is why I'm not expecting day one CoD on game pass if the acquisition goes through because MS probably fears deluding such an important money maker. And I'm also half expecting them to tone down game pass eventually.

Dingo

Jul 19, 2022
Wait I watched the management section and it came of as a "of course xbox is not happy with where they are" instead of inside knowledge?

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Maybe there was some miscommunication and the underperformance is viewed by whether HiFi Rush helped grow gamepass to a satisfactory amount/revenue achieved by the game from people subscribing to gamepass to play it as opposed to currently existing subscribers that were likely to stay subscribed regardless?

Deleted member 13330

User-requested account closure
Banned
Mar 14, 2023
Jeff mentions how there may still be a performance expectation for games despite being on Game Pass, and that a far bigger game like Halo Infinite ultimately failing to provide a cushion of sorts by bringing in tons of money may hurt games like Hi-Fi Rush.
But... it was "free". You can't get everyone on board with game pass and then expect the games on game pass to make money. That money was made on game pass subs.

I mean wouldn't 99% of people that play it have done so via GamePass regardless?

Colour me shocked that putting games on a subscription service day 1 makes them not sell.

I'm not really sure how they can expect any kind of sales target to be hit when it's a niche game strath dropped on to gamepass.

Regarding the state of Xbox, I don't think I have to say much more than the obvious. Mismanagement of developers is creating a drought of releases and customers are running out of patience.

I'm sorry what did they expect? It's on Gamepass. Did they expect people to buy the Steam version or something?
Of course Game Pass games still have sales expectations outside GP. They also have performance expectations on GP in terms of engagement, and that includes a certain number of service sign ups that can be seemingly directly attributed to the game.

Did people really think Game Pass meant the end of MS caring about the actual returns they would get from their titles? Every game has expectations across a broad range of metrics that are carefully collected and compared vs targets.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
When he says management isn't happy with Xbox…does he mean Microsoft? Or Xbox management. Because one of those is worse than the other.

Gamepass needs to make enough money in order for that to work. Profitable doesn't mean it's making enough money to offset losses. Halo Infinite wasn't supposed to go how it did. It didn't sell enough and it didn't drive subs enough either. They also haven't had any first party titles since Halo infinite to drive subs. It's a multilayered problem. It's as if Netflix doesn't make hit shows. You maintain subscribers and a level of revenue off your library l, but you aren't growing because a lot of that stuff is an amiable elsewhere. You need Stranger Things and You to drive engagement and then follow those up to drive rentention.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
I imagine even with Gamepass they still have targets that they want game to reach like internal metrics and such thats pretty much the same as sale targets like Netflix does.

Well sure but what were they expecting? I could understand having sales expectations for something like Starfield, they would clearly expect that to sell millions regardless and also to drive subscriptions. But a small title like Hifi Rush?

It's just weird. This whole article has me going well no shit, of course it didn't sell much or drive subscribers.

nbnt

Oct 26, 2017
Of course it didn't, it's a gamepass title, most people interested in it will play it via sub.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
No one was gonna pay full price for it on console.

Kratos2098

Feb 18, 2022
Seemed like this was obviously going to happen. Microsoft putting all their games on Game Pass does not mean they are going to be successful.

Last edited:

Joo

May 25, 2018
Who woulda thunk that devaluing your own titles by putting them out on a cheap subscription service would hurt the sales expectations of major exclusives. Never could have seen this coming.

It's a shame because I love HiFI Rush, but it's clear Gamepass's growth has plateaued and I don't know how much longer Microsoft is willing to throw money away trying to win market share for it by tying major exlusives to it, especially when markee titles like Halo Infinite flop.
Of course they take GP into account and don't just look at sales. Hi-Fi Rush not making the money it needed to make is probably derived from low sales + GP player count who actually played the game and not only tried it.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Trying to wrap my head around what sales expectations they had with a game that was shadowdropped onto a subscription service.

Status
Not open for further replies.