modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Credit to Rahkeesh For linking in the thread, thought it is interesting enough to mention on its own.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEOGgA-JB-U&start=1462

Hope the timestamp works. He is basically backing up a supposed list of specs from last week mentioning a 60% improvement to raw performance (he doesnt commit to a specific target and says theres a range), 2X RT performance with new accelerators and a dedicated Machine Learning processor to handle high resolution upscaling like DLSS.

For reference this is the supoosed specs he is referring to from era:
Existing information

In July 2023, Tom Henderson reported that the PS5 Pro, "codenamed" Trinity, is currently in development. According to him it has 30WGPs, 18 gbps GDDR6, and is targeting a Nov 2024 release date. He also mentioned it has "accelerated ray tracing."
Reliable hardware leaker "Kepler_L2" reported in July that AMD's codename for the SoC is "Viola."
Both Trinity and Viola codenames follow the existing Shakespearean inspiration for codenames surrounding the latest Sony consoles. Viola is the protagonist in the Shakespeare play Twelfth Night, and Trinity references the Holy Trinity Church (Stratford-upon-Avon) where Shakespeare was baptized, married, and buried. But it also carries another meaning that we'll get to later.
Kepler_L2 recently said the PS5 Pro's CPU upgrade is "rather small."
(Let me know if I missed anything in terms of previously established rumors)
New information:

Viola is fabbed on TSMC N4P.
GFX1115
Viola's CPU is maintaining the zen2 architecture found in the existing PS5 for compatibility, but the frequency will once again be dynamic with a peak of 4.4GHz. 64 KB of L1 cache per core, 512 KB of L2 cache per core, and 8 MB of L3 shared (4 MB per CCX).
Viola's die is 30WGPs when fully enabled, but it will only have 28WGPs (56 CUs) enabled for the silicon in retail PS5 Pro units.
Trinity is the culmination of three key technologies. Fast storage (hardware accelerated compression and decompression, already an existing key PS5 technology), accelerated ray tracing, and upscaling.
Architecture is RDNA3, but it's taking ray tracing improvements from RDNA4. BVH traversal will be handled by dedicated RT hardware rather than fully relying on the shaders. It will also include thread reordering to reduce data and execution divergence, something akin to Ada Lovelace SER and Intel Arc's TSU.
3584 shaders, 224 TMUs, and 96 ROPs.
16GB of 18 gbps GDDR6. 256-bit memory bus with 576 GB/s memory bandwidth.
The GPU frequency target is 2.0 GHz. This lands the dual-issue TFLOPs in the range of 28.67 TFLOPs peak (224 (TMUs) * 2 (operations, dual issue) * 2 (core clock)). 14.33 TFLOPs if we ignore the dual-issue factor.
50-60% rasterization uplift over Oberon and Oberon Plus, over twice the raw RT performance.
XDNA2 NPU will be featured for the purpose of accelerating Sony's bespoke temporal machine learning upscaling technique. This will be one of the core focuses of the PS5 Pro, like we saw with checkboard rendering for the PS4 Pro. Temporally stable upscaled 4K output at higher than 30 FPS is the goal.
September 2024 reveal

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
So this will be independent of FSR? Would this kind of work be beneficial to assisting AMD compete elsewhere? I think there is a lot of benefit to have an ai up scaler that decently matches Nvidia without having their cards.

Oct 25, 2017
I just want to know if it's hardware that will be relevant for 3 years or 5 years, IE, when will it be overtaken by a PS6? Sony kept crossgen going for a long while so maybe that's a solid sign but yeah. Dunno if I can trust it

Desfrog

Oct 29, 2017
Image quality is gonna get rough in the next few years looking at UE5 and Alan Wake so it's nice to have a console option for those who care. Hope Xbox's amazing hardware team is also cooking something.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
Credit to Rahkeesh For linking in the thread, thought it is interesting enough to mention on its own.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEOGgA-JB-U&start=1462

Hope the timestamp works. He is basically backing up a supposed list of specs from last week mentioning a 60% improvement to raw performance (he doesnt commit to a specific target and says theres a range), 2X RT performance with new accelerators and a dedicated Machine Learning processor to handle high resolution upscaling like DLSS.

For reference this is the supoosed specs he is referring to from era:

I didn't hear him mentionning anywhere 60% improvement or even talking specifically about that leak (that Kepler said was false).

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
PS5 Pro and Switch 2 in the same year is going to hit the wallet hard.

IvanSlavkov

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bulgaria
Evil MArk Cerny strikes again!
scwx9eT.png

Dec 4, 2018
Why do we need two threads for the same video?

Especially when this guy is referencing the same material from a thread here.

www.resetera.com

[Tom Henderson] PS5 Pro specs and release window details (codenamed Trinity, 30WGPs, 18000mts memory speed, November 2024 target) Rumor - Sony

Its also what they say with DLSS3, baseline frame rate needs to be above 60fps but from experience speaking, 40 scale to 80fps is still highly playable and no noticeable increase in input lag.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
I am happy with just base PS5 but proprietary tech is always interesting to see. Wonder how will it compare to the current usual suspects.

reksveks

May 17, 2022
Why do we need two threads for the same video?

Especially when this guy is referencing the same material from a thread here.

www.resetera.com

[Tom Henderson] PS5 Pro specs and release window details (codenamed Trinity, 30WGPs, 18000mts memory speed, November 2024 target) Rumor - Sony

Its also what they say with DLSS3, baseline frame rate needs to be above 60fps but from experience speaking, 40 scale to 80fps is still highly playable and no noticeable increase in input lag.
not sure but ehh, up to the mods to decide

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
If all this is true then we're gonna get major console releases in 2024, 2026 and 2028. Jesus lol.

💰 💰 💰

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
I might have not been clear. The 60% is from the era post, but Grubb did say the performance is in the range of what he heard.
But what he heard is from his own source, isn't it? not that leak. Are we talking Jeff Grub own source or are we mixing it with that leak? Why should we mix jeff Grubb info from others infos?

OP
OP
modiz

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
One advantage that Sony relied on with the PS4 Pro at the time was introducing performance saving features in the mid generation console that would give developers time to adjust for the next generation, like Checkerboard rendering (and TAAU methods in general) and 16bit floating point operations, this is probably also the case with the PS5 Pro with them giving developers time to adjust their engine to this new pipeline for the future.

But what he heard is from his own source, isn't it? not that leak.
He is corroborating the leak with his own info: performance is in the reported range, 2x RT and ML Upscaling hardware being the "secret sauce" that the aim to have the console punch above its weight.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
FSR's quality is hurting console IQ imo, it's smart for Sony to go their own route as FSR is pretty disappointing much of the time. I expect they will throw in their own frame gen solution also.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
He is corroborating the leak with his own info: performance is in the reported range, 2x RT and ML Upscaling hardware being the "secret sauce" that the aim to have the console punch above its weight.
But he is not talking about that leak at all specifically. He is talking about the "PS5 Pro leak" which we have being talking about for months now, mostly from Kepler tweets (who talked about new RT hardware). That recent leak has very specific power specs while he says the specs have a range of possibilities. So he is not talking about the same thing. Again Kepler specifically tweeted saying that recent leak was mostly wrong, notably about the low clocks (where the 60% comes from).

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
The question is, will this finally be able to run the last guardian properly.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
So this will be independent of FSR? Would this kind of work be beneficial to assisting AMD compete elsewhere? I think there is a lot of benefit to have an ai up scaler that decently matches Nvidia without having their cards.

I don't think AMD really needs the help. If the rumour is true it would be AMD hardware and Sony is pairing that with their own software but I'm sure AMD can come up with the same kind of software themselves and start putting that hardware or a derivative of it in their GPUs. Despite their public statements around AI upscaling, they probably are working on it and Sony just wants something sooner than AMD's schedule perhaps.

Anyway, if this is all true, I wonder how relevant it is for boosting existing software or if games will need to be trained on the model during development. It would be kind of nice if you could throw any base PS5 game output at it and have it upscale. That might be a bit much to hope for out of a first gen implementation though.

LV-0504

Oct 6, 2022
It's gonna cost €700, which is what I paid for the PS3 at launch. Fuck it, day one.

Unpatched physical Versions run pretty much flawless at 60FPS/1800p on PS5. The issue is that at a certain point you need to patch the Game, get past that, and un-patch it lol.
The 2 PS4 games I most wanted a patch or rerelease for are TLG and SotC. There are mitigating factors for TLG but I'm shocked Bluepoint hasn't gone back and unlocked the framerate in the graphics mode of SotC. I was expecting that in the first 6 months.

IonMagus

Feb 18, 2021
It's gonna cost €700, which is what I paid for the PS3 at launch. Fuck it, day one.

The 2 PS4 games I most wanted a patch or rerelease for are TLG and SotC. There are mitigating factors for TLG but I'm shocked Bluepoint hasn't gone back and unlocked the framerate in the graphics mode of SotC. I was expecting that in the first 6 months.

Bluepoint haven't even patched a "deleate a save file" function into DeS lol. If they release a Game they move on quickly. SoTC runs at 60 FPS but at 1080p only. The fucked up textures were fixed with a PS5 System Update