• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RobbRivers

Jan 3, 2018
It's a pitty because they are a great studio. But if Insomniac makes BP it won't be multiplatform, so I prefer a multiplatform studio…

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
Open world third person brawler isn't that hard of a game type to make. Just need to hire good writers

You thinking Black Panther should be open world is proof that you're underestimating how hard the project would be to get right.

Black Panther is the head of state. He is not a vigilante. He's not a cop. Why would he be running around an open world?

Type VII

Oct 31, 2017
And there was me getting my hopes up that the Japan-only Yakuza Black Panther PSP games were getting translated and added to PS Plus Premium.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
You thinking Black Panther should be open world is proof that you're underestimating how hard the project would be to get right.

Black Panther is the head of state. He is not a vigilante. He's not a cop. Why would he be running around an open world?

How long you got?
1. He's a king helping out his people in an open world Wakanda
2. He's a king that has to unite his kingdom politically clearing towers that represent various states within wakanda
3. He's a spy trying to track down stolen state secrets in Another global city
4. He's a university student living a carefree life in London fighting against racism and the establishment when he enters an underground royal fighting tournament.
5. It's a papers please like game but he's an immigration officer that has to do home visits
6. He's a spy trying to infiltrate an evil organisation
7. Wakanda has been invaded and it's a Just Cause like game.

That's 7 but things could get far wierder

Edit: I agree that coming up with a story scenario is tricky. It's the gameplay that will be simple. Every blockbuster is a 3rd person ARPG. So black panther will be that type of game given his known skillset/power set it will be a brawler rather then a shooter.

Making a 3rd person brawler is a solved problem in the AAA space.

From there you ask the most talented black writers you can find to write an interesting scenario and trust them to come up with something great.

For me I think part of the joy of playing a Black Panther game would be to experience a fully realised Wakanda. So I'd hope it's an open word game set there.

Last edited:

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Dude he's a superhero in a fantastical world. There's a lot of leeway there for the writers and game designers to create an open world game if they so wish. If you can't invent a single narrative justification for Black Panther to be in an open world then you lack imagination.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
How long you got?
1. He's a king helping out his people in an open world Wakanda
2. He's a king that has to unite his kingdom politically clearing towers that represent various states within wakanda
3. He's a spy trying to track down stolen state secrets in Another global city
4. He's a university student living a carefree life in London fighting against racism and the establishment when he enters an underground royal fighting tournament.
5. It's a papers please like game but he's an immigration officer that has to do home visits
6. He's a spy trying to infiltrate an evil organisation
7. Wakanda has been invaded and it's a Just Cause like game.

That's 7 but things could get far wierder

I didn't ask "HOW COULD Black Panther be running around an open world?"

I asked why would he.

You could make a Spider-Man game that was a first person shooter, but why would you?

Black Panther shouldn't be running around doing errands in an open world if you're trying to capture the essence of what makes Black Panther distinct and dope.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018

I asked why would he.

You could make a Spider-Man game that was a first person shooter, but why would you?

Black Panther shouldn't be running around doing errands in an open world if you're trying to capture the essence of what makes Black Panther distinct and dope.

I think that last part is very open for interpretation. What makes BP special is going to be subject to how the creatives behind the project like to engage with it.

As for Why would any BP project have to be a Third person open world game? Money. They sell the best and are the most approachable games for the widest audience.

Naughty Dog Black Panther

Pass. I'd rather not have him voiced by Troy Baker

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
Geez, going by the posts in the thread I'm already feeling bad for the poor devs working on this if this rumor is true.

I'm cool with whatever type of game they want to make, I honestly don't have a BP game preference. BP is a great character and would be well suited to a lot of game genres. Some one joked about a Wakanda vs. Atlantis RTS and sure enough BP lore would accommodate that well since he is the king of the most advanced nation on earth.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
If it has combat, I want influence from these
Spikeout
k5wQn6.gif

NpZ7U83.gif

tumblr_pdzmy1YVoo1r7sijxo1_500.gif

Urban Reign
MLogvj0.gif

1LNOhaj.gif

2nXnvI2.gif

I want this bad, but I don't trust any devs to get this right. They're all too white.

They'll never be "black enough," certainly not in time for this game.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019

I asked why would he.

You're damn right. Imagine getting the Black Panther IP and squandering it by making fucking Assassin's Creed 36.

Katbobo

May 3, 2022
The livestream for where I assume he'll talk about it is up, starts in ~15 minutes.

www.giantbomb.com

Giant Bomb

The largest video game database online, Giant Bomb features Game Reviews, News, Videos, and Forums for the latest in PS4, Xbox One, PS3, Xbox 360, Wii, PSP, DS, 3DS, NGP, and more!

Jun 20, 2021
  • It's EA's game
  • Made by a new team
  • Open world RPG
  • Not a live service and very much inspired by Jedi Fallen Order's success

Katbobo

May 3, 2022
Think I caught all the details but:

* Single player game
* Very early development
* "Big, open world Black Panther game"
* The in-universe Black Panther is dead, so player is tasked with becoming the new Black Panther
* Comes from Seattle studio headed by ex-Monolith head
* Produced by EA, kicked off by the success of Fallen Order

Edit: beaten by the iceman 😔

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
  • It's EA's game
  • Made by a new team
  • Open world RPG
  • Not a live service and very much inspired by Jedi Fallen Order's success

* Single player game
* Very early development
* Black Panther is dead, so player is tasked with becoming the new Black Panther

Sounds great, I can't wait for this.

Helix maybe you should thread mark this?

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

* Single player game
* Very early development
* The in-universe Black Panther is dead, so player is tasked with becoming the new Black Panther

Are they saying T'Challa is dead? Or is the player T'Challa and this takes place after his father's death?

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
I would be very excited to play a BP game as long as it is done right. I would hope that Marvel at least understands this.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

* Single player game
* Very early development

I don't like the sound of any of this, beyond the single player part.