• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6592NE94eqI

Jeff Grubb speaks up about the lack of Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, and Metroid Prime at the Nintendo direct. Speculates Nintendo wanted to focus on Tears of the Kingdom instead

Grubb says that he misheard that Wind Waker and Twilight Princess would be at the direct, states it was a mistake.

Still feels confident Metroid Prime remaster is releasing this holiday season.

Extensive video breakdown by IDontBeatGames

- Apologizes for his and Mike Minotti's mistake. He said they jumped the gun heavily on this. He even acknowledges that they never verified their sources like they typically do for everything he leaks or reveals. There was no vetting process on the Wind Waker & Twilight Princess stuff. Him and Mike "misheard" about WW/TP, got caught up in the hype like everyone else, never double checked and confirmed this information which led to this huge mistake.
- As for Metroid Prime Remake, he's checked yet again, he's still under the assumption that it's coming out this holiday. He has no understanding as to why Nintendo didn't reveal it, assuming his sources are right. He's just as confused as everybody else.

His hypothesis/speculation regarding the lack of Metroid Prime Remake: He wouldn't be shocked if Nintendo didn't want to reveal Metroid Prime Remake in the same Direct as Tears of the Kingdom because it'd bring down the mood and lead people to questioning where's Metroid Prime 4. He doesn't blame anyone at all if they were skeptical reading this speculation/hypothesis because it sounds ridiculous. However, we all have to remember, Nintendo is very weird. His core reasoning for this speculation, which again is a guess, is because Nintendo probably wanted BOTW2's title reveal to be a big moment and not have anything bad surrounding that announcement.

His hypothesis/speculation regarding a Switch Pro/Switch 2: He's never had ANY rumors regarding Switch Pro or Switch 2. However, he himself, is speculating that the Switch Pro (if it's a thing AGAIN this is a GUESS) would be 2023. This could explain a lot of Nintendo's weirdness regarding announcing games because this would mean they're probably still trying to figure out what's next, how to approach this next step and how to go about announcing things so some of what they're working on can be alongside a Switch Pro or Switch 2 if it exists.

His biggest lesson learned: There is no one to blame except him. Don't blame Mike. He should've stepped up in the moment and tell Mike they need to confirm this before pushing the story/conversation more. Going forward, Jeff won't ever talk about a leak again without actually double checking and confirming their rumors or information they heard. If something like this happens where stories are made by outlets because of what he's saying, he's going to communicate with authors who makes these stories just so it matches his level of certainty regarding whatever rumors he's talking about.

Last edited:

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Leak culture is so weird. I don't know why people put so much stock in this shit to the point that he needs to be making an apology vid. Shit happens, plans change.

Truno

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 16, 2020
IDontBeatGames did a wonderful breakdown of the video:
-Apologizes for his and Mike Minotti's mistake. He said they jumped the gun heavily on this. He even acknowledges that they never verified their sources like they typically do for everything he leaks or reveals. There was no vetting process on the Wind Waker & Twilight Princess stuff. Him and Mike "misheard" about WW/TP, got caught up in the hype like everyone else, never double checked and confirmed this information which led to this huge mistake.
- As for Metroid Prime Remake, he's checked yet again, he's still under the assumption that it's coming out this holiday. He has no understanding as to why Nintendo didn't reveal it, assuming his sources are right. He's just as confused as everybody else.

His hypothesis/speculation regarding the lack of Metroid Prime Remake: He wouldn't be shocked if Nintendo didn't want to reveal Metroid Prime Remake in the same Direct as Tears of the Kingdom because it'd bring down the mood and lead people to questioning where's Metroid Prime 4. He doesn't blame anyone at all if they were skeptical reading this speculation/hypothesis because it sounds ridiculous. However, we all have to remember, Nintendo is very weird. His core reasoning for this speculation, which again is a guess, is because Nintendo probably wanted BOTW2's title reveal to be a big moment and not have anything bad surrounding that announcement.

His hypothesis/speculation regarding a Switch Pro/Switch 2: He's never had ANY rumors regarding Switch Pro or Switch 2. However, he himself, is speculating that the Switch Pro (if it's a thing AGAIN this is a GUESS) would be 2023. This could explain a lot of Nintendo's weirdness regarding announcing games because this would mean they're probably still trying to figure out what's next, how to approach this next step and how to go about announcing things so some of what they're working on can be alongside a Switch Pro or Switch 2 if it exists.

His biggest lesson learned: There is no one to blame except him. Don't blame Mike. He should've stepped up in the moment and tell Mike they need to confirm this before pushing the story/conversation more. Going forward, Jeff won't ever talk about a leak again without actually double checking and confirming their rumors or information they heard. If something like this happens where stories are made by outlets because of what he's saying, he's going to communicate with authors who makes these stories just so it matches his level of certainty regarding whatever rumors he's talking about.

JCADX

Oct 29, 2017
Self proclaimed insiders and leakers are hurting the industry so much. Create insane expectations that the companies usually never met (because they never promised them in the first place).

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
moving-goalpost.gif

Owlowiscious

Oct 27, 2017
Why does his video say im sorry? Did he predict those games should be there? If so, it sounds like a good way to get multiple videos of views. One with predictions of whatever, and one explaining why your predictions were wrong

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
"don't really talk about leaks until they are verified"

Didn't he talk about this exact rumour last year too? How many times is this going to happen before he actually follows this advice?

Whatever, it's fine, I can totally fix this. I'll just finally give in after years and buy Twilight Princess HD from the Wii U eshop before it closes. As soon as I do this, Nintendo will announce that it's coming out for Switch because they LOVE to fuck with me.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like this would be a good wake-up call for Jeff to maybe hold back on teasing unannounced things for upcoming events.

And more importantly, for everyone else to stop overly relying on random people on Twitter hinting at/"leaking" stuff they can't confirm. There's this whole cottage culture on Twitter of people whose whole deal is going "I HEARD [thing fans want] IS COMING" and then other people are like "YEP I HEARD THE SAME THING" and most of the time everyone is wrong.

Just let announcements happen when they happen. The endless teasing and hinting and wink-winking, and the ensuing fan flare-ups of hype and then disappointment and then backlash, is just getting so tiresome.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like he shouldn't have to post a 13 minute video over this? Like it's a weird scenario that he deliberate put himself into I guess but also who the hell cares. People are wrong sometimes.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo can and will hold on to games until it is reasonable to release it. Leakers usually get their information from companies outside of Nintendo proper and they've never had a good handle on when something was going to release.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Having to do an apology for a potential leak not panning out is peak gamer shit. The people soaking it up are not mentally well-adjusted.

I wanted all of those there, so I was bummed. I kicked some dirt and moved on like a grown fucking adult.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
This seems a bit...much.

People using the same 3-4 projects over 5 years to be wrong and wrong again is hilarious though, you would think they would just keep it pushing considering how often it didnt end up as assumed.

AwakenedCloud

Oct 27, 2017
Leak culture is so weird. I don't know why people put so much stock in this shit to the point that he needs to be making an apology vid. Shit happens, plans change.

Why does his video say im sorry? Did he predict those games should be there? If so, it sounds like a good way to get multiple videos of views. One with predictions of whatever, and one explaining why your predictions were wrong
He actually explains this during the video. It was a mistake on his part, not a change of plans and not a prediction. He also says that credibility is important and mistakes like this lead to it being lost, which is why he's taking initiative in apologizing.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just picturing someone sarcastically saying "YEAH, and Metroid Prime and Wind Waker will be at the direct too!" and Grubb taking it literally

how do you MISHEAR lol

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
Having to do an apology for a potential leak not panning out is peak gamer shit. The people soaking it up are not mentally well-adjusted.

I wanted all of those there, so I was bummed. I kicked some dirt and moved on like a grown fucking adult.

This. 100%. The fact that an apology video for this was necessary is absurd. People getting worked up over leaks not being real should really just go take a walk.

Edit: I now see the context behind the video is a bit more complex with Jeff trying to come clean about his processes.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
"don't really talk about leaks until they are verified"

Didn't he talk about this exact rumour last year too? How many times is this going to happen before he actually follows this advice?

Whatever, it's fine, I can totally fix this. I'll just finally give in after years and buy Twilight Princess HD from the Wii U eshop before it closes. As soon as I do this, Nintendo will announce that it's coming out for Switch because they LOVE to fuck with me.

Your sacrifice will be appreciated.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Leak culture is a blight, and frankly this place shouldn't have fostered it from the beginning like it did. It's just a grift.

Sangral

Feb 17, 2022
It's weird because since Zelda TotK comes out in may, there is a huge spot where WW and TP could actually release.

Owlowiscious

Oct 27, 2017
He actually explains this during the video. It was a mistake on his part, not a change of plans and not a prediction. He also says that credibility is important and mistakes like this lead to it being lost, which is why he's taking initiative in apologizing.
What was a mistake? Did he predict those games should be there? If so, it sounds like a good way to get multiple videos of views. One with predictions of whatever, and one explaining why your predictions were wrong

... Im wondering why the OP is of a person unrelated to Nintendo apologizing for Nintendo related things.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Dude needs to stop pandering to the shittiest people. Loser gamers that get mad at absolutely anything shouldn't be courted to begin with, just let shit be announced when it's announced.

Cutebrute

Nov 8, 2017
Arkansas
If we believed leakers at their word always, Nintendo marketing would be the most confusing, indecisive team on planet earth. Plans change, but not like they have been suggested every time a leaker is wrong.

Nintendo has developed a familiar pattern for their pre-release coverage, so I just take leaks with a grain of salt and see if it passes the gut check based on how Nintendo usually operates. A WW/TP re-release did not pass that test for me so I'm not shocked we didn't see it, especially since the more concrete details were that this would be a 3rd party focused Direct.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like this would be a good wake-up call for Jeff to maybe hold back on teasing unannounced things for upcoming events.

And more importantly, for everyone else to stop overly relying on random people on Twitter hinting at/"leaking" stuff they can't confirm. There's this whole cottage culture on Twitter of people whose whole deal is going "I HEARD [thing fans want] IS COMING" and then other people are like "YEP I HEARD THE SAME THING" and most of the time everyone is wrong.

Just let announcements happen when they happen. The endless teasing and hinting and wink-winking, and the ensuing fan flare-ups of hype and then disappointment and then backlash, is just getting so tiresome.
Fully agreed.

Oct 25, 2017
Don't love that Grubb perpetuated this but it's not like he's alone, there's so much leak culture nonsense out there all the time, that between this Direct and the Switch 2 / OLED / Pro stuff, I'm kinda at the point where I'm not buying any leaked anything until it's announced. I'm sure a Switch 2 exists but I don't buy anyone's predictions on a 'when'.

Also LOL at the idea of Metroid Prime Remake coming out this year. If they were going to announce it there's no reason they wouldn't have done so, in this Direct that was supposedly 'focused on winter games'.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
Self proclaimed insiders and leakers are hurting the industry so much. Create insane expectations that the companies usually never met (because they never promised them in the first place).

You guys should really hear yourselves. The industry is making more money than ever and the discussion that even fake leaks generate probably does absolute wonders for marketing metrics and figuring out which games are the ones enthusiasts at least really want, with potential to be popular in the mainstream.

This is all quite the opposite of "hurting."

AwakenedCloud

Oct 27, 2017
What was a mistake? Did he predict those games should be there? If so, it sounds like a good way to get multiple videos of views. One with predictions of whatever, and one explaining why your predictions were wrong
He said specifically that the Zelda ports/remasters were a "mishearing". What that means, I don't exactly know, but it was more than a prediction, but didn't vet things properly.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
I really wish this whole "leak" industry would just stop. Let companies announce games how they want. What's even the benefit of this? It's the worst.

lost7

Feb 20, 2018
Honestly, at this point if it's not from Jason, Zhuge or the YT guy, I don't believe it. Everyone else has too much of a dodgy record and Grubb especially gets away with making non commital statements all the time so that when he's right he knew all along and when he's not, it was just his prediction.

Truth is I'm sure there's plenty of insiders who hear about things here and there, but then they sure as hell milk it for that extra attention even when they don't have any other info

Kyu

Banned
Jan 20, 2020
User banned (permanent): concern trolling
As if I would give him any money by watching this clickbait.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
You guys should really hear yourselves. The industry is making more money than ever and the discussion that even fake leaks generate probably does absolute wonders for marketing metrics and figuring out which games are the ones enthusiasts at least really want, with potential to be popular in the mainstream.

This is all quite the opposite of "hurting."

Seriously, it's very odd.

Jul 7, 2021
I really wish this whole "leak" industry would just stop. Let companies announce games how they want. What's even the benefit of this? It's the worst.

No it's not, it's how people treat this kind of information that's the problem. What's the benefit? It gives people something to look forward to. Take Fire Emblem Engage for example. One of the members here, who's also an insider talked about its existence ages ago.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
If a thing exists, it'll get announced whenever they feel like it. If it doesn't, it won't. People shouldn't take the words of "insiders" as anything more than rumors.

But also, please stop kicking the can on Metroid Prime. Maybe it exists, but if it does and it was slated for this year then Nintendo has the weirdest fucking marketing strategy of all time for it. Stop tying your own noose committing to some arbitrary deadline.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure this thread is going to be perfectly reasonable and not full of responses which line up with the exact kind that probably resulted in Grubb feeling like he needed to make an apology video in the first place, because he got information wrong over the ever turbulent world that is the games industry.

EliiG

Oct 30, 2017
Paraguay
It'll be out right after Pokemon Stars.

Joke aside, I really need to play WW on my switch. So, please nintendo :(

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I can still believe that Metroid Prime Remake exists, or existed at one point. But, it's pretty hard for me to believe it is coming out this year still. Even if it had been announced this week, that would have been a pretty quick turnaround from announcement to release.