• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
That's too bad. With Pentiment and Hi-fi Rush MS had some real winners with their smaller projects, wonder what they could have made

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
That's really disappointing. Not interested in more Gears, but I was interested in what a smaller new game with The Coalition's technical know-how would be like.

Second time they've had a new IP cancelled so they could work on Gears fwiw.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Sucks about the new IP - but honestly, Gears is the only exciting IP Xbox has that still excites me so I'm ok

gifyku

Aug 17, 2020
the reality is that smaller games from 1P studios is probably not the best investment in this market, given Sony's blockbuster 1P AAA games. Even Nintendo has smaller games but they are based on existing IP.

I expect Xbox to lean heavily on 3P via Gamepass for smaller games, especially indies which they have been doing well

What I would really like is for the Coalition to have a shot at IP other than Gears, maybe Halo or even something that is licensed

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I have no interest in more Gears so was looking forward to that. Sigh

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
What a damn shame.

The day Coalition moves away from Gears and works on something new, they'll have my interest again.

dudu0609

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
OK for me.
Make Gears to be concluded at Gears 6 and then completely move forward to brand new ips.
If ND can move forward from Uncharted, then TC can move forward from Gears too.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
It's worth nothing Coalition never announced this "smaller non gears project." This was all insider talk. This game was essentially announced and cancelled by Grubb lol.

I would've liked to see something else but ultimately I do want to see Gears 6 as I loved Gears 5 in particular.

00Quan[T]

May 12, 2022
20210401_harold_fb.jpg

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
I assumed their next project was Gears 6 anyway so this doesn't really affect me.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
the reality is that smaller games from 1P studios is probably not the best investment in this market, given Sony's blockbuster 1P AAA games. Even Nintendo has smaller games but they are based on existing IP.

I expect Xbox to lean heavily on 3P via Gamepass for smaller games, especially indies which they have been doing well

What I would really like is for the Coalition to have a shot at IP other than Gears, maybe Halo or even something that is licensed

were Hi Fi Rush and Pentiment failures?

dsk1210

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh UK
Absolutely bored of Gears of War after Gears of War 2.

Personally I would rather have seen this talented team have a shot at something different.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Not good, I was expecting it soon with how talked about it was by insiders. I wonder how long working on it set Gears 6 back...

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I guess I should at least give Gears 5 a try. I tried the collection and I think played some of 1 and 2.

Looking forward to seeing whatever they have coming.

Witchcraft

Oct 9, 2022
At some point a conversation needs to be had about the management, or mismanagement rather of XGS. Games get cancelled all the time I know but it genuinely is more surprising to me when they actually manage to ship something than news of issues. Their studios are incredibly talented so the fact it keeps happening indicates larger issues,

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, well that sucks. The Coalition needs a chance to shine, I don't know if they can with another Gears. Unless they significantly change it up.

Septimus

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I'm done with Gears tbh. Sad as shit they were trying something new and it got canned.

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
They need to bench this washed up franchise my god. What a fucking shame their new thing got canned.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
That's too bad. They're a fine studio, and I greatly enjoyed Gears 5, but they deserve to be allowed to diversify.

Oct 30, 2017
Gears just hasn't mattered much to me in about ten years.

It'll be probably be one of the best looking games around. But I'm not sure what they could do to spark my interest in the franchise again. But ya never know!

AEF1907

Dec 18, 2021
Makes sense, wasn't Coalition also hit by layoffs?
Would have been nice to see what they can do with UE5 with a new IP.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
I thought Gears 4 and 5 were great games but no denying the franchise doesn't excite me anymore. I'm sure I will enjoy Gears but it would have been interesting to see what else the studio could have done.

SCUMMbag

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
That's disappointing. Would have liked to see them do something different.

BarnabyJones

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, I'm fine with this. It's time for Gears to have a big comeback. 5 was a ton of fun in co-op with a decent enough story and still some of the best 3rd person shooting in games. GIMME MORE

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hartford, CT
It's such a bummer because studios like this should be able to flex other muscles and make other games and not just be a single IP studio. That absolutely leads to retention issues for people that want to be apart of more diverse projects.

APOEERA

Oct 26, 2017
OK for me.
Make Gears to be concluded at Gears 6 and then completely move forward to brand new ips.
If ND can move forward from Uncharted, then TC can move forward from Gears too.

But will Microsoft let them though? If they cancelled a smaller project, but move ahead with another Gears, it either means the Coalition was more confident that Gears 6 would get published or Microsoft would give them money/resources they need to finish Gears 6.

I really want them to do something other than Gears too. I'm hoping with Starfield, Redfall and Hi Fi Rush being out this year, it'll lead to more Microsoft owned developers taking chances.

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
Probably the smart move, pure conjecture but I think they are going to give Gears a rest after 6. May as well just finish up the current story and move on to something else for a bit.