• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017

Gears studio The Coalition is busy, they are working on Halo... they are helping with Halo Infinite. That is one of the big projects that Coalition is contributing to in a major way, Coalition is also of course making the next Gears game.... But the Coalition is also working on a third thing and it likely is a new IP. Now, I've heard rumours that it could be a Star Wars thing from out of the Coalition. But I haven't been able to confirm that and these are rumours that have been kicked around a few different places.... Whether that comes out before the next Gears I don't know.

Last edited:

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
Hyped for Gears 6, cant wait to see what they do with UE5 for that game.

As for Star Wars it is May 4th today. Wouldnt mind see that spy game they were working on before MS bought Gears as well.

They should just make Alpha Protocol 2 with help from Obsidian actually. Xbox could use some first party RPGs.

SlipperyMoose

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
For some reason I had the idea they were helping with the perfect dark multiplayer but it's been better that they are working on a new IP potentially.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Imagine a Mandalorian game by the Coalition.

b41d91213f643b0cea497ec38f2a4f01.gif

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't really sound like he is confident in that Star Wars rumor, at least.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
oh boy.. I hope it is the Mandalorian cos that would be exciting. they also recently hired a second technical director probably for their 3rd project. also IIRC didn't Zenimax Online recently hire a coupe devs with a lot of experience in making Star wars games? I might be wrong here.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
The Halo thing isnt that crazy. They already helped like many studios even before the delay

koutoru

Oct 27, 2017
Working as support devs on other projects in the interim before your next big thing ramps up is pretty normal. But the new IP news is definitely unexpected.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I kinda hope TC is helping a bunch of Microsoft studios make their game as technically smooth as Gears 5 is.
I remember some technical people visiting The Initiative before who work also with Unreal. Wouldnt surprise me that they even help more studios like Undead Labs, Obsidian etc with Unreal

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
The Star Wars stuff does not come from him, it's literally on the video, there were rumors this past couple of weeks because of the talks of LucasArts pitching SW to other publishers.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
The Halo thing was known, I think? I'm sure 343 is happy to have their help. But I wonder if the Coalition will be credited as co-developers.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
The Halo thing isnt that crazy. They already helped like many studios even before the delay

Most publishers allow their studios to help eachother if they have spare time.

When it comes to Game Development, your naturally going to have time between projects or lulls in development where the full employee-base isn't required. That goes for all professions, Artists, Animators, Sound, Programmers, Writers, ect. And if the studios want to keep people on staff, they either have to let them sit there and do nothing, or they will find work for them at other studios and contract their time out until they are ready for their own internal projects.

Joo

May 25, 2018
You'd think that the actual devs would be pretty pissed at Grubb with how many unannounced games he just seems to spoil without any second thoughts.

Several insiders tease games here anonymously all the time, but only a few will outright spoil unannounced stuff.

Xadra

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2018
Wasn't The Coalition also helping with Perfect Dark/The Initiative?

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Put Gears to rest, there is nothing to gain from that franchise anymore. Just concentrate on fresh things instead.

I believe that Star Wars thing when I see it. The floodgates for new Star Wars games are open so it might be not that unrealistic.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
The Coalition working on something that isn't Gears? Well damn. Next thing we know, 343 will be making something that isn't Halo.
...Sadly, probably not.

MoosGoMoo

Banned
Jan 27, 2021
Hope that this doesn't compromise the campaign of Gears 6, the true blockbuster MS franchise.

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
Wasn't The Coalition also helping with Perfect Dark/The Initiative?

Started as a big "might be" and I think one person, who I won't name, on this site said they "definitely were" building the multiplayer component but most of the stuff he ended up saying didn't result in too much.. I wouldn't read too much into that.

Sep 7, 2020
Give me a mandalorian bounty hunter game or commandos game. Also do we hear about KOTOR remake/reboot here soon. May the 4th be with us.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
So about the SW rumor, I'd honestly hate the idea of a Mando game. I'd rather not have cross-media storylines that I need to follow. It's the same problem as with Halo 5. Go original instead, the best SW games have always been that way.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
The Coalition are super fucking talented. If they want to make a Star Wars game, I'd be hype for it. Although I was hoping they would move to their own IP in tandem with Gears.

Huge Gears 5 fan so anything they do I'll be hyped for.

Mecha

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honduras
Not that I have high hopes after Gears 4 and Gears 5 but a new IP is what I want from them. Hope the deliver if this rumor has any truth behind it.

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
Put Gears to rest, there is nothing to gain from that franchise anymore. Just concentrate on fresh things instead.

I believe that Star Wars thing when I see it. The floodgates for new Star Wars games are open so it might be not that unrealistic.
Gears 5 has many plot points needing to be resolved in Gears 6. After that I agree. Gears 6 needs a separate PvP client like Halo so that it can have long term support and then should do a new IP.

Fiery Phoenix

Oct 26, 2017
So about the SW rumor, I'd honestly hate the idea of a Mando game. I'd rather not have cross-media storylines that I need to follow. It's the same problem as with Halo 5. Go original instead, the best SW games have always been that way.
I'm pretty sure if they're making a Mando game, it would be an original story.

ginge

Jul 23, 2020
Seems more overall engine wise.

the rumour was that the coalition was working on perfect darks multiplayer, which makes sense if this third ip is a singleplayer more narrative experience.

The multiplayer team from gears would be working on perfect darks multiplayer, and the gears campaign team would be working on this new ip, which is possibly star wars

it all kinda fits together pretty well