• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Wait you still need gold to play F2P games on xbox? In 2020? Really? Or am i mistaken? That seems to be true based on what some have posted here. Haven't played an online game on my xbox since halo 5 like 2 years ago so I'm out of the loop. Does Fortnite need it?

Yes, F2P still require gold

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
tbh I think people are overestimating the revenue that gold brings in. Probably a drop in the bucket for Microsoft to do this and they might make even more money this way.

M4xim1l1ano

Oct 29, 2017
Santiago, Stockholm, Vienna
I'm not sure what you are trying to say, that Microsoft will give the money away? That they don't need to care for profitability? Imo the fact that Microsoft is a trillion dollar company, is even more a reason to believe that they won't make any moves that will risk their revenue stream.

How does companies like Tesla/Uber operate with all the losses they make? Perhaps arm-chair analytics is something we should not be doing unless we actually work as a business analyst in the video game market?

not to be harsh but for many years we have seen arm-chair analysis having no basis in reality.

yes, MS wants Xbox to be profitable/make money but we don't know timeframes.
And we don't know yet what kind of revenue/profit the newest bets will bring (gamepass, Xcloud, Xbox hardware peripheral, in-game transactions etc)

so how can we even try to come up with numbers or ideas on in what scale MS operates in?

DeniroSerafim

Apr 5, 2018
I mean people paid Xbox Live during Xbox and 360 times where it was free on both PS and Nintendo. Why do you think people won't continue paying to play online on PS5 and Switch?

But yeah, the sooner these paywalls go the better.
I never said people won't still pay, I said Nintendo and Sony would look like clowns. So would the consumers who would continue to put up with it. I made fun of XBL Gold back then, so I'm not going to change my tune just because the tables have turned. If this is true, Microsoft deserves a fuck ton of credit, like I said, I'll buy a Series X if this happens.

tomwarren

Senior Editor, The Verge
Verified
Apr 18, 2018
Like I said on Twitter the other week... patience. It's nearly August after all.

MYeager

Oct 30, 2017
I believe it. They can then do away with the 4 free games a month thing, which has been obviously not priority since Game Pass started anyway. With It might've made sense in the 360 era, but free to play online games are where the engagement and micro-transactions live now and barriers to that are dumb. Game Pass Ultimate and Project xCloud provide plenty of value to still drive subscriptions that way.

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
This makes sense in a lot of ways to double down on GamePass. As Xbox continues to expand beyond just a box and push into PC, where online is free, it becomes harder to justify a pay wall. Good move and I hope Sony and Nintendo follow suit if true.

Unlikely. Sony as the market leader doesn't have to rush into dropping PS+( if anything they'd probably roll Ps Now into it in some form) until and unless they see significant drops in subscriber base( indicating that people may be backing off and finding other alternatives). As for Nintendo you can't play Mario Kart, Smash, Splatoon or Mario Maker online anywhere else so they can keep charging you for that since there's no alternative for people invested in those games.

Gemüsepizza

Oct 26, 2017
Because they've already begun pivoting toward their other subscription services- GamePass and xCloud. XCloud is the real money maker here, and a way for them to reach the most amount of people.

XBLG does exist and makes Microsoft 1+ billion dollars a year.

Xcloud doesn't exist yet as a service to customers. It doesn't make any money. We have no idea how many people will use that service. And when it will be publicly available, it will stream 720p Xbox One games until 2021, when the XBO blades will get replaced by XSX blades that will stream up to 4 XBO instances and ? XSX instances.

And convert all existing Gold members to GamePass (add a month or two at the end of their subscription in case it expires soon) and you go from 10 million GP to 25 million overnight.

Right, until the next month. And XBLG is profitable, how profitable is GamePass? Certainly not as much.

It's the long term play. And it's the right move to make. Sony can't just drop plus because they are not ready with PSNow like how MS is with GP/xCloud

It's an incredibly risky move that's completely unnecessary. You can still get people to subscribe to GamePass while keeping XBLG alive.

FusionNY

Oct 25, 2017
Those sports games are huge, especially FIFA.

Sony already has a competing service, it just doesn't count for whatever reason, maybe because Sony hardly ever advertises it.
If they're the last games behind the service I don't think you could expect 40 million subscribers to stay subscribed. If like 75% of sports gamers stay subscribed you're still looking at a massive drop in subscribers.
If these games go F2P it's fine for Sony/Nintendo since they already doesn't charge.
If those games go f2p tons of people will just stop paying for those services which would probably kill them.

Oct 25, 2017
tbh u think people are overestimating the revenue that gold brings in. Probably a drop in the bucket for Microsoft to do this and they might make even more money this way.

When the rumors started I thought removing gold entirely was kinda of crazy. I thought it was just going to be added to GP. That said, the more I think about it the more I suspect this might be a smart business decision for MS. They'll get more revenue from transactions and they'll remove a barrier to get people in to their ecosystem.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Xbox players didn't before Sony started charging, and Xbox players didn't even after PC got the same games for free.

The original pricing justification for XBL was one username for all games, universal voice chat support, and achievements. It took years for Sony to catch up, and by then Sony started charging as well, and giving away free games with Plus in 2010. Then MS started giving away free games with Gold in 2013.

I imagine now that MS is removing the paywall, GWG will stop as well. So Sony's value proposition for PS Plus remains (in giving away free games) and they also have PSNow (streaming service), only now that value equation changes since the competing pay service is GamePass/XCloud combined for one fee. Changing the value equation will invariably effect price-conscious consumers, especially in the US/UK.

Kami

Jul 13, 2020
Is he talking about all multiplayer games or just free to play ones? Seems like the latter.

KodiakGTS

Jun 4, 2018
Man if this turns out to be true, people will be paying quite the premium to play on PlayStation. $120 for online and a single first party game, compared to $120 a year for all first party games, a great selection of 3rd party games and free multiplayer. Insane value proposition.

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
It's a smart move. How else could you justify GamePass Ultimate owners that while they can play online for 'free' on PC/Mobile, on console they would have to pay another fee on top of the GamePass subscription cost?

It comes off as greedy and confusing to most people.

Deleted member 57361

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 2, 2019
If those games go f2p tons of people will just stop paying for those services which would probably kill them.
I don't see those games going F2P considering the amount of people that buy them each year. And by the time that happens, these services will provide another things to justify their values, be it more games or another features.

Derktron

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
I think this would probably be thing I mean they want more people to join Gamepass then Xbox Live itself. They hardly speak of Xbox Live enough.

Domcorleone

Oct 26, 2017
Man if this turns out to be true, people will be paying quite the premium to play on PlayStation. $120 for online and a single first party game, compared to $120 a year for all first party games, a great selection of 3rd party games and free multiplayer. Insane value proposition.

I thought the yearly was 60 for PS Plus? Something change?

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
btw also interesting that Microsoft has so many f2p mp titles coming out soon that they are closely attached to. Crossfire, PSO2 Genesis, and possibly Halo. Would certainly make more sense to bring those out in an environment where there is no MP paywall to make them truly free and get the largest userbase.

Edit: also that Korean Kart racer that they had at a few of their shows as well. That is f2p I believe as well.

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think a lot of people here are underestimating how likely it is MS can recoup (and surpass) revenue from XBL. Free multiplayer will likely increase engagement in games that are already F2P, making them money. Combine that with their own multiplayer titles going F2P, and they're going to snipe people from other consoles. If they nail the pricing, and throw in a month or three of Game Pass, that'll be an incredibly tempting offer.

$500 might get you a Series X, exclusive free multiplayer titles (and the multiplats) that don't require a fee to jump in to, and a short time to sample Game Pass. Compare that to $500 up front, plus a $60 game or two, and then a $60 sub just to hop online...and you're at $700+ at launch. That's before taking into account that old accessories will work on Xbox, but you'll be dropping cash on Sony's "we believe in generations" approach (unless Sony announced that previous accessories will work and I missed it).

No matter how you slice it, the value shifts over to Xbox for people that mostly play multiplayer...if this actually goes through, of course.

I really don't think Sony will be pressured into doing anything. They're far and away the market leader and console users have been indoctrinated to accept paying for online. Even if MS drops the requirement I don't think there'll be that much of an outcry if Sony keeps an online paywall.

If this happens, there absolutely will be pressure to drop the online sub fee. Sony titles are mostly single player, one-and-done games. People that buy PlayStation, but don't really play their exclusives, will most likely switch to Xbox. Anybody that has every major platform will likely make Xbox their main while PlayStation gets relegated to exclusives duty. They'd still get their COD/Madden/NBA fix while also getting to jump straight into Halo, Forza, etc. The number of people that are loyal to either brand is not nearly as high as people here think. Even if they keep the PS+ fee, Sony absolutely will have to increase the value of that because multiplayer and a couple of free games will not cut it.

Last edited:

Gemüsepizza

Oct 26, 2017
I'm saying it gives them more leeway to experiment. They can get rid of gold and see if it increases engagement and spending on game pass subs or microtransactions within their ecosystem. If it turns out they don't see increased engagement the loss of XBL subs isn't that big a deal in the big picture.

How does companies like Tesla/Uber operate with all the losses they make? Perhaps arm-chair analytics is something we should not be doing unless we actually work as a business analyst in the video game market?

not to be harsh but for many years we have seen arm-chair analysis having no basis in reality.

yes, MS wants Xbox to be profitable/make money but we don't know timeframes.
And we don't know yet what kind of revenue/profit the newest bets will bring (gamepass, Xcloud, Xbox hardware peripheral, in-game transactions etc)

so how can we even try to come up with numbers or ideas on in what scale MS operates in?

But Microsoft isn't a new startup that can burn VC money and maybe or maybe not reach profitability at some point. They are a trillion dollar company full of bean counters (no offense to MS), that's why I don't think they will do that, when they can still increase the GamePass subscriptions without sacrificing all of the XBLG revenue.

Jamie

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I read this entire thread and still came away without an actual answer. You guys are absolutely bonkers, that's why I keep coming back to this site.

If Xbox does get rid of the whole paywall, that would be huge. Even just the free to play would be good news, not huge but at least good for Xbox owners.

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
If true, very huge and Sony needs to follow.
I don't think Sony can quickly since its obvious MSFT has been building up towards this transition if true with Gamepass. PSNOW is not going to be their answer in the first couple years. Also since the new consoles for both will most likely have losses to them, they need some revenue to offset that for the first year or so. Again, MSFT is betting on Gamepass for that revenue, and has a lot more Corporate stability to make that bet. It will be very interesting no matter what though.

iareec

Banned
Jul 19, 2020
To get money you should spend money.
Basically they should risk to remove multiplayer paywall to get more consumers and more people will buy their games.

Edit: Press X for Sony removing PS Plus, they make way more money that MS because there are more users and SONY wouldn't like that idea.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Hope Sony follows suit and still have a PS+ service that includes better Plus games every month and better digital discounts.

Oct 24, 2019
sony should follow suit

it's actually ridiculous that online play is charged

Agreed, would be awesome if this spurred PS and Nintendo to follow suit (not holding my breath though).

Didn't Microsoft start the trend of consoles having paid online with Xbox Live? Good to see them going back in the right direction now, but damn that really set the industry on an unfortunate course lol

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I haven't regularly paid for any online service for years now, it's just a rotten practice to me so this would be great

ReturnOfThaMack88

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2020
I think what this really does is force Sony to have to focus on having an online multiplayer offering.

people will go to Xbox to play COD, BF, Madden, RB6, 2K, etc etc etc online of its going to be free online. They'll also get to play Halo, Gears, etc.

What would Sony online offer you? What experience is gonna be worth it to consumers to pay an extra $300 a generation? Unless factions is a hit, they really have not invested much in online communities, they've been happy to let 3rd parties handle that. This is such a great counter by MS in my opinion and positions them again to be the huge online market leader like they were before.
It's going to be very interesting to see how Sony responds eventually if their PS+ numbers take huge hits.

FusionNY

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see those games going F2P considering the amount of people that buy them each year. And by the time that happens, these services will provide another things to justify their values, be it more games or another features.
We'll see. I expect them to be dead within this generation starting at the end of this month.

Status
Not open for further replies.