• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Speaking to IGN in a recent interview, Kaplan said, when asked what Overwatch character he'd like to see guest-star in Smash Bros. Ultimate: "To the Smash Brothers team, whatever character you want, we love them all. They're all our babies, you can have any single one of them. We have 31 to choose from."
But if he had to pick one, Kaplan said he'd have to choose Tracer.

"Tracer's our girl, Tracer's our mascot. She'd be my first choice," he said. "There's a lot of great runners up. I think a lot of people can immediately see Doomfist gameplay applying to Smash, but if it were up to me, I'd like to see Tracer."

Wes Yanagi, the principal game producer on the Switch version of Overwatch, echoed the choice of Tracer, but also said he'd really like to see Winston make the leap to Smash.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
It's so cool seeing that Smash (or rather, the team behind it) make things like this possible. I love Smash for it.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
"Director of popular game would love to have their characters in game featuring a bunch of popular characters"

This is news, but also not really? What person making games wouldn't want their character in Smash?

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I mean, it would be hard to get a developer that DOES NOT want their characters on smash xD

If even toby fox wanted =P

So no overwatch characters then.

Not on the final character on the fighter pass... but microsoft dude said the same about banjo a year ago so maybe future dlc is still on the cards

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
Gimme the bird.
kNUvJGU.png

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I mean anyone with a brainstem would say this, especially from a Western studio :P

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
If Tracer happens, I think she'd be at the very tail end of DLC. Like 2021-ish.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I don't think Overwatch has any iconic characters to fit Smash. Not Smash iconic at least

Deleted member 13645

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not on the final character on the fighter pass... but microsoft dude said the same about banjo a year ago so maybe future dlc is still on the cards
Pretty different situations imo. Banjo has a big legacy on Nintendo platforms. Overwatch is just a popular shooter that doesn't really have any sort of connection to Nintendo beyond the Switch being the most recent of many platforms it has released on.

StrapOnFetus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
TX
User banned (1 week): drive-by trolling, history of similar infractions
Fuck you, you waited years to bring the game to Nintendo. You ain't getting shieettttt for representation in Smash.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It has to be Mei. Come on. Can you imagine the Salt.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Can we have Warcraft reps instead?

Jaina?
Varian?
Thrall?
Liadrin?

I like Overwatch but I mean, Warcraft is what I prefer

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This basically confirms there won't be any since they've likely already selected the characters for Fighter Pass 2.

piratethingy

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'd bet anything we get an Overwatch character during the second wave of DLC, and yeah Tracer is the obvious suspect.

lobdale

Oct 25, 2017
What game dev wouldn't openly allow literally anything they've ever made to appear in Smash?

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There wouldn't be an OW character in Smash in the first place.
The bar is set pretty high for third parties to get in.

Feb 24, 2018
they put joker in. the iconic requirement went out the window a long time ago.
Plus Tracer in incredibly iconic in her own right, appearing in movies like Ready Player One, a massive LGBTQ+ fanbase for being one of the most prominent gay characters in fiction and shown to be VERY marketable in merchandise, fan art and the like.

BRSxIgnition

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I know it's cool to hate on Overwatch and Kaplan did come on a bit strong, but I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't be even a little happy if I got to play as Dva in smash.

butalala

Nov 24, 2017
Dva would be sweet, if only in part because I'd like to see a Mech in smash. I'm not sure how to incorporate baby DVA, Maybe as part of a final smash like Samus in Brawl?

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
you're gonna get saurfang and you're gonna like it begrudgingly accept it just so we can get on with this mess