• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Gotta respect Jeff specifically suggesting Tracer & Doomfist, especially considering Smash Ultimate's lack of women & people of color respectively.

With that said, I guess this means no Tracer in this Fighters Pass (or the next one, if the characters were decided all at once).

Brannon

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If it's not the Meowscular Chef then we are in the worst timeline, especially after he got upstaged by his master coming out of retirement; he needs this!

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
and blizzard doesn't? they're a super iconic dev, and already have diablo and overwatch on switch, which is more than most other big western devs. diablo even has zelda-themed content.
Atlus is a Japanese developer with a long history with Nintendo since the NES. Blizzard had some games on Nintendo platforms before, but definitely not to the extent of Atlus.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
This means nothing. Literally everyone and their mother would say the same thing.

All that matters at this point is what Sakurai wants, and I feel like he's perfectly content with sticking to adding characters from Japanese companies.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
If Overwatch had launched in 2017 early 2018 it would have been an even bigger deal. But the port.lools solid and that's good
That said, I'm not sure a late port warrants inclusion in Smash

Suburban Thug

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Midwest
Wii Sports is one of the best selling games of all time...
It was bundled with the system and nobody cares about Wii Sports in 2019 outside of forum enthusiasts. My point is that their argument that Overwatch isn't iconic enough to add into Smash is foolish when you've got Mii Brawler, Joker, Wolf, Lucina, etc on the roster. You show a random person on the street a picture of Roy and they won't know who he is. If the Switch version of OW gains some traction I don't see why Nintendo wouldn't consider Tracer, Winston, or Mercy - although I think it's a longshot.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Atlus is a Japanese developer with a long history with Nintendo since the NES. Blizzard had some games on Nintendo platforms before, but definitely not to the extent of Atlus.
you have a point. but i think these rules about association with nintendo and characters being iconic and whatnot only exist in the heads of smash fans. i think "popular video game character" is the only rule we can 100% say that applies to all the picks.

Owlet

Owl Enthusiast
Verified
May 30, 2018
London, UK
Gimme the bird.
kNUvJGU.png
Yeah, I want the bird.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Pretty different situations imo. Banjo has a big legacy on Nintendo platforms. Overwatch is just a popular shooter that doesn't really have any sort of connection to Nintendo beyond the Switch being the most recent of many platforms it has released on.

I think we are reaching the point of "this company is big, what character can represent it?"
And I love Blizzard stuff but ... I can't see Diablo (another character blizzard has already mentioned to want in smash) being a character =P

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
It was bundled with the system and nobody cares about Wii Sports in 2019 outside of forum enthusiasts. My point is that their argument that Overwatch isn't iconic enough to add into Smash is foolish when you've got Mii Brawler, Joker, and Wolf, Lucina, etc on the roster. You show a random person on the street a picture of Roy and they won't know who he is.
Are you really denying that the Miis are popular? Wii Sports Resort, Wii Party and other games like those sold a lot without bundles.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I mean Joker got into Smash. Doesn't seem to me like Nintendo cares that much about the represented publishers actually supporting their system. Which seems dumb, but hey lol.

Atlus has long supported Nintendo platforms. They probably have more great 3rd party titles on the 3DS than any other publisher. They had a launch title on the Wii which they followed up with 2 sequels (Trauma Center/Team series). They even collaborated with Nintendo directly to make one of the best Wii U exclusives around (TMS#FE) which is getting an enhanced Switch port in 3 months.

Yeah, some of Atlus' games are exclusive to other platforms, but Atlus has been making games on Nintendo platforms since the '80s.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Atlus deserves a representative, but the creators of Warcraft, Diablo, StarCraft, Overwatch do not?

What's your logic here?
Atlus got a rep because Sakurai loves Persona 5 and thought it would be cool. If he doesn't feel the same way about Overwatch, or there are other characters that he'd rather add, it won't happen.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, we did get Joker as DLC, and I'd argue Tracer alone, not counting all the other OW characters, is more iconic than him worldwide.

Joker is representing the Persona franchise and Atlus as a whole, which had a pretty big importance in the history of japan's video game market.

Sakurai looks at IPs that had a big influence on gamers growing up in Japan, and overwhelming requests from Smash fans in the west. Overwatch is far from belonging to any of those categories.

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
well at least Overwatch would mean a woman as a newcomer since Tracer is the mascot of the game pretty much.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I don't think Overwatch has any iconic characters to fit Smash. Not Smash iconic at least
Overwatch is easily one of the biggest new IPs this console generation, with Tracer already becoming instantly recognizable. I don't really follow the "not iconic" argument. And in a game as starved for women as Smash Ultimate, Tracer wouldn't be a bad idea.

i-hate-u

Oct 25, 2017
Winston >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Tracer

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Overwatch has any iconic characters to fit Smash. Not Smash iconic at least
Dude, Bayonetta is in this game. Nearly everyone on this forum could name 20+ Blizzard characters that are more iconic than her. And I say this as someone that likes Bayonetta 1 & 2 way more than just about every Blizzard game.

Bunga

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
If this ever did happen it would be Tracer 100%. Easily the most iconic character in the game.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Dude, Bayonetta is in this game. Nearly everyone on this forum could name 20+ Blizzard characters that are more iconic than her. And I say this as someone that likes Bayonetta 1 & 2 way more than just about every Blizzard game.
To be fair, Bayonetta won the Smash Ballot.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Sheesh people really don't want Overwatch anything in their beloved Smash Bros?

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You show a random person on the street a picture of Roy and they won't know who he is.
This is probably true for most of the cast, especially if you take away the Mario characters, Link, Sonic, and Pikachu. Heck, Wii Sports was like, THE definitive casual game, and the mii music is a gigantic meme. I'd guess Miis would comfortably be in the upper half of characters by recognizability.

mrfusticle

Oct 30, 2017
Phil Spencer said he'd like to see Banjo in Smash well before the reveal so Kaplan mentioning it now is no indication an Overwatch char isn't incoming.