• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Soran

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Era: We want more female, LGTB and PoC characters in Smash.

Also Era: No! not those.

mrfusticle

Oct 30, 2017
Brazil would EXPLODE if Alejo is a smash char

*googles Alejo*

Ok, that would be cute.. Takes me back to good old Sensible Soccer when they'd slightly change all the player names to avoid being sued

Sensible%20Soccer%20Shot%201.jpg

Good times.. good times

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
iconic is a useless gatekeeping term and anyone who uses it unironically probably doesn't have an actual argument against!

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Era: We want more female, LGTB and PoC characters in Smash.

Also Era: No! not those.

Like I said, a good number of people here are all talk.

OW has a great selection of female characters and PoC that would be cool to see in Smash. These super toxic responses to Jeff are kind of sad, doesn't seem like an mean person to me and what he said is completely innocuous. Gamers gonna be gamers I guess: wack as hell.

Lucio literally has a speed up move and a ring out move in OW along with a healing aura.

I could easily see him being godtier in doubles and a fun ass Smash character.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
It's not going to happen regardless of whether or not Tracer is considered iconic because Overwatch is made outside of Japan by a developer that isn't Rare which means it's not happening.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
It's almost as if the game has a thousand characters and it's meant to celebrating gaming as a whole so it's silly to hope a game won't be represented.
There are a finite number of DLC characters to be made.

It's perfectly reasonable to hope for a character you'd really like over one that you wouldn't particularly care for.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The reason why Kaplan came strong here is because it was just a question that came up in an interview while talking about the OW Switch port. I don't think him saying he would be happy to let anyone from the game be in Smash when asked is that desperate.

With that said hopefully Nintendo takes that opportunity. Tracer would be so sick in Smash and we are in desperate need for a character that fits the niches she covers (FPS character, female, LGBT, another Western character)

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
Would LOVE DVA in smash. Her mech zipping around the stage would be dumb amounts of fun.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This means nothing. Literally everyone and their mother would say the same thing.

All that matters at this point is what Sakurai wants, and I feel like he's perfectly content with sticking to adding characters from Japanese companies.
Nintendo's the ones making the choices here. Sakurai has even confirmed it as recently as this month.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Sakurai still has veto power and all of the DLC characters thus far align perfectly with his tastes. I see no reason to downplay his involvement with the selection process.
I doubt Sakurai would veto to work on Overwatch and even then the vetoing is only for fighters that would be too tough to make a reality or a company not playing ball. Both of which absolutely don't apply to Tracer.

Jun 10, 2019
Gotta respect Jeff specifically suggesting Tracer & Doomfist, especially considering Smash Ultimate's lack of women & people of color respectively.

With that said, I guess this means no Tracer in this Fighters Pass (or the next one, if the characters were decided all at once).

It'd be nicer if he practiced what he preached and added more diversity to his own game.

Lua

Aug 9, 2018
Nintendo just gives a big ass list with suggestions to sakurai and he picks who he wants from that i feel like.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Man some people REALLY don't like Overwatch here.
I really like Overwatch (I'd have bought it again on Switch if there was unlock crossprogression), I'd hate to see it in Smash.

edit:
Nintendo just gives a big ass list with suggestions to sakurai and he picks who he wants from that i feel like.
Close.
They have a big list saying who they want, they show it to Sakurai who has a veto right (more about replacing a character from a franchise rather than saying he doesn't want a franchise in) since he'll have to make the character interesting in the end.
I guess it depends on how you see it in the end.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
It'd be nicer if he practiced what he preached and added more diversity to his own game.
I'm not going to say there can't be improvements but like, Overwatch has characters from all over the world, representing a wide variety of gender and sexualities?

Every game has room for improvement but Overwatch is pretty good on that particular point.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
We also have stuff like Atlus saying it was Sakurai who did the selection so clearly it's not Nintendo alone.
They didn't. They said it was Sakurai who approached the Persona team about including Joker. So considering we don't have solid proof that Sakurai was the one that made any character suggestions and Sakurai reiterated the selection has been made and even for the next batch was done by Nintendo I think it's safe to say that there's a wider variety of characters we could see from DLC and Tracer has a solid shot

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
I doubt Sakurai would veto to work on Overwatch and even then the vetoing is only for fighters that would be too tough to make a reality or a company not playing ball. Both of which absolutely don't apply to Tracer.
Again, I still think it's pretty clear that Sakurai has more input that JUST veto power. Terry seems like fairly clear proof of that.

But either way, it's a moot point considering that even if Nintendo is fully in charge of selecting characters, then their taste in characters is still super Japan-centric, so nothing really changes.

That tweet is from four years ago, so by this logic, maybe Overwatch has a shot for the next game.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Again, I still think it's pretty clear that Sakurai has more input that JUST veto power. Terry seems like fairly clear proof of that.

But either way, it's a moot point considering that even if Nintendo is fully in charge of selecting characters, then their taste in characters is still super Japan-centric, so nothing really changes.

That tweet is from four years ago, so by this logic, maybe Overwatch has a shot for the next game.
Banjo wasn't in dev or serious consideration 4 years ago to be fair :p
Phil said something similar to this last year like around March 2018

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Banjo wasn't in dev or serious consideration 4 years ago to be fair :p

The point is that it was candid talk about a character that did, eventually, end up in Smash.

And given the character, someone like Tracer wouldn't surprise me one bit. Anyone can be in Smash at this point, she's on the boxart, and Nintendo has a good relationship with Blizz. It isn't even a stretch to consider her.

Jun 10, 2019
I'm not going to say there can't be improvements but like, Overwatch has characters from all over the world, representing a wide variety of gender and sexualities?

Every game has room for improvement but Overwatch is pretty good on that particular point.

Majority of the game is still men. Majority of the characters are still white.

I'm not even going into the fact that we still haven't gotten a black woman as a hero yet, despite the demand for one

Soran

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Like I said, a good number of people here are all talk.

OW has a great selection of female characters and PoC that would be cool to see in Smash. These super toxic responses to Jeff are kind of sad, doesn't seem like an mean person to me and what he said is completely innocuous. Gamers gonna be gamers I guess: wack as hell.

Lucio literally has a speed up move and a ring out move in OW along with a healing aura.

I could easily see him being godtier in doubles and a fun ass Smash character.
Overwatch is also quite popular in Japan. People asking for represensation but saying only Japanese studios can participate is absurd. How many LGTB characters in Japanese games are the face of the franchise? How many LGTB characters that are notgonna ridiculous caricatures exist? Yeah but let's defend Nintendo honor, the same Nintendo that considered same sex marriage in Tomodachi life a glitch, the same Nintendo that own Fire Emblem.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Sorry guys, but Smash already has a short-haired British girl who wields multiple pistols, wears skin-tight outfits, and has time-manipulation powers, thank you very much.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
I really don't see how Terry is proof of that. He's SNK's mascot.
The point is that it was candid talk about a character that did, eventually, end up in Smash.

And given the character, someone like Tracer wouldn't surprise me one bit. Anyone can be in Smash at this point, she's on the boxart, and Nintendo has a good relationship with Blizz. It isn't even a stretch to consider her.
I was just pointing out that Blizzard's relationship isn't even close to the other companies getting in Smash, and how comparing it to Joker/Atlus was ridiculous.