• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 7883

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd argue that first party characters are exempt from this, though. If we look at Ultimate's DLC:

- Joker: He's in more for being an Atlus character than being iconic, fair enough
- Hero: Character from the most popular JRPG franchise in Japan
- Banjo: One of the most beloved gaming icons out there
- Terry: Not very popular nowadays, but still incredibly iconic

Tracer is popular now, definitely, but I wouldn't call her iconic in the slightest. Her game came out just 3 years ago.

arguing what is/isn't iconic is so damn subjective and opinionated that you and I could argue about it for hours without coming to an agreement. Let's just agree to disagree on this when tackling it from an "iconic or not" perspective.

I do think that reserving third party character inclusions to only come from series that have been around for 15+ years is silly, though. With gaming finally coming into the mainstream in the past five years or so, why not add characters from games that are that old?

Ideally, I'd like to see more characters that aren't necessarily iconic... but hail from games that caused impact, or maybe were just really popular for a one/two year period and then died out. First party smash inclusions already do this going all the way back to Melee with Marth and Roy.

idk. I've lost track of the point of my argument. I wrote this for too long lmao. I guess all I'm trying to say is I'd like to see more of the unexpected in smash. And at this point, I'm expecting nothing but representatives of decades-long third party series to get into smash. I'd like some more wildcards.

Final thought: I'd choose Deckard Cain to be in smash over Tracer ANY DAY OF THE WEEK.

Jun 10, 2019
Conflating representation with parity is completely missing the forest for the trees. There is representation, it would be great if they added more. Saying that it is somehow not good enough when they've made strides, particularly with the additional post-launch heroes only having one straight white guy out of ten new characters is ignoring what they actually have added.

Additionally, Baptiste is gay, and Moira has some trans coding but isn't officially confirmed either way yet.

Post launch we've gotten two PoC heroes. I'm not
Pharah is white to you? What

edit:

She's Mixed race then.

I consider her having Egyptian ancestry but not necessarily Egyptian.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Smash has Terry. Being an old character doesn't make you iconic. Tracer is much more iconic than him.
Lol what
And he's still pretty small time compared to most big Western franchises, none of which have been added to the game yet.

Either way, it's reasonable to assume that Terry's inclusion demonstrates that the selection criteria, whatever it is, is skewed towards Japanese characters, so it doesn't really matter who's choosing them.
Terry is as big as SNK. Which is bigger than Blizzard in many regions.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I'd argue that first party characters are exempt from this, though. If we look at Ultimate's DLC:

- Joker: He's in more for being an Atlus character than being iconic, fair enough
- Hero: Character from the most popular JRPG franchise in Japan
- Banjo: One of the most beloved gaming icons out there
- Terry: Not very popular nowadays, but still incredibly iconic

Tracer is popular now, definitely, but I wouldn't call her iconic in the slightest. Her game came out just 3 years ago.
Yeah. The only character in the SSB roster that isn't a nintendo character that isn't very iconic is Bayonetta. But she was put in specifically because of an audience poll so that explains that.
As much as I truly love overwatch I don't see nintendo adding an OW character.

Now... a Warcraft character, that would make sense.

But tbh I don't see Nintendo adding any western characters. They seem to have regretted even putting snake in and he's not western but definitely has western influence being based on Snake Plissken.

Now what I really wanna see tho, is Nintendo skins in Overwatch for Switch. Why the hell isnt that a thing right now?

So Obama is black because he has a black dad? He's Biracial. Obama has parents of completely different races
Race for biracial people is a self identity. Thanks for trying to explain to us what we are, but we don't need you thanks.
Anyway, can we go back to fucking talking about overwatch?

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
wow bad takes here but it's not surprising since it always happens in many Smash threads that aren't DT/OT

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
I honestly don't get the Tracer hate, or the Overwatch hate in general. Sure, Tracer can be a pain to deal with within competitive. But it doesn't mean I hate Tracer as a character.

Very weird, even then, OW has a fairly good amount of characters that would add to representation in Smash.

Another Western inclusion that is not a bear and bird would be nice too. I do not really count Dark Samus even though she was technically made here.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
So Obama is black because he has a black dad? He's Biracial. Obama has parents of completely different races
This is literally what you said in your original argument:

Junkrat, Solider, Pharah,Zarya,Torb,Rein,Moria,Mcree,Mercy,Widow,Brig,Tracer,Ashe,Sigma.

14 characters out of 31. Half of the roster is white and I'm not sure on this one but I'm sure Tracer and Soilder are the only ones confirmed gay.

I'm not the one moving goalposts here.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
I honestly don't get the Tracer hate, or the Overwatch hate in general. Sure, Tracer can be a pain to deal with within competitive. But it doesn't mean I hate Tracer as a character.
I mean look at the Genji and Brigitte hate/memes. Because of bad players Genji is now seen as a whiny character despite his real personality being the complete opposite. Even worse now that Blizzard has started to follow the meme in a joking way. Brigitte has it even worse with people actually attacking the actress just because they can't win against an enemy Brigitte. Like if she had anything to do with making the character's gameplay.

People can't seem to separate the actual story character over the character that is played by players.

Jun 10, 2019
This is literally what you said in your original argument:

I'm not the one moving goalposts here.

I'll concede that point. So then I'll consider Pharah to be mixed race. I don't consider anyone with significant white ancestry to be a PoC. But that conversation has a lot of nuance and history to it that I'd rather not discuss on a gaming forum

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I mean look at the Genji and Brigitte hate/memes. Because of bad players Genji is now seen as a whiny character despite his real personality being the complete opposite. Even worse now that Blizzard has started to follow the meme in a joking way. Brigitte has it even worse with people actually attacking the actress just because they can't win against an enemy Brigitte. Like if she had anything to do with making the character's gameplay.

People can't seem to separate the actual story character over the character that is played by players.
That's always baffled me, to be honest. Though in my case, Brigitte is one of my mains (alongside Moira, Mercy, & Baptiste.......I'm a support main).

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think a FPS rep would be a good choice for Smash at this point imo. I wouldn't be opposed to Tracer at all. Especially because that's more female representation, along with a Blizzard rep. But I'd much rather have Doomguy as a FPS rep.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Post launch we've gotten two PoC heroes. I'm not

I consider her having Egyptian ancestry but not necessarily Egyptian.
Post launch we've gotten eight human characters, out of a total of ten. Of those we have Ana, Baptiste, Doomfist and Sombra. The remaining three, Moira, Brigitte and Ashe are women.

And as a bonus, Orissa was created by a black youth.

DrWong

Oct 29, 2017
I'm expecting an EA representative to say Nintendo can get any character from FIFA for Smash Ultimate. Soon.

J-Tier

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Southern California
I'll concede that point. So then I'll consider Pharah to be mixed race. I don't consider anyone with significant white ancestry to be a PoC. But that conversation has a lot of nuance and history to it that I'd rather not discuss on a gaming forum
You just glossed over that Pharah is half Egyptian and half First Nation native and continued on with your beliefs on "biracial" categorization. I'm really doubting your initial intentions on asking for diversity.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
What part? Argentina is. Let's not pretend like Latin America doesn't have a problem with the way it treats in African/Indigenous population
I'm talking about Mexico. Guatemala, Costa Rica. Cuba. Dominican Republic. I'm talking about the places where the indigenous and the Spaniards mixed, resulting in the mostly mestizo heritage that takes place in the continent. I'm talking about places like Colombia that also had a huge influx of Africans, so the race mixing was even more prominent. I'm talking about the colonial system that had to develop a caste taxonomy due to how much miscegenation was occuring. Argentina and Chile are the outliers here.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think Tracer would be a nice fit for the roster.

Hearing Smash fans shit-fling at each other about who does or doesn't deserve a slot in what is essentially unlimited slots will never not be hilarious to me.

No Overwatch/Blizzard characters then, nice!

Dude was asked a question and answered honestly. It's not like he's hitting up Nintendo directly or just randomly sprouting it out of nowhere.

Mr. Robot

Oct 30, 2017
An Overwatch character seems like a good fit for Smash, considering that OW characters are popular and the E-Sports/League presence of OW.

NiallGGlynn

Apr 16, 2019
Would be cool to get Tracer, interesting gameplay gimmick and neat to get a gay female rep into Smash. Plus the victory screen as a play of the game? Beautiful.

Jun 10, 2019
You just glossed over that Pharah is half Egyptian and half First Nation native and continued on with your beliefs on "biracial" categorization. I'm really doubting your initial intentions on asking for diversity.

I wan
I'm talking about Mexico. Guatemala, Costa Rica. Cuba. Dominican Republic. I'm talking about the places where the indigenous and the Spaniards mixed, resulting in the mostly mestizo heritage that takes place in the continent. I'm talking about places like Colombia that also had a huge influx of Africans, so the race mixing was even more prominent. I'm talking about the colonial system that had to develop a caste taxonomy due to how much miscegenation was occuring. Argentina and Chile are the outliers here.

I know what a racial caste system is.

Are you trying to make a point about being ethnicity or ancestry? I don't consider them outliers when a vast majority of LatinAmerica is still anti-black

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
I wan

I know what a racial caste system is.

Are you trying to make a point about being ethnicity or ancestry? I don't consider them outliers when a vast majority of LatinAmerica is still anti-black
I'm saying the vast majority of Latin America is mestizo. Mixed race. I'm saying that trying to pass them as white is ridiculous just because they have Spaniard blood on their family. I'm saying Pharah is not white.

Jun 10, 2019
I'm saying the vast majority of Latin America is mestizo. Mixed race. I'm saying that trying to pass them as white is ridiculous just because they have Spaniard blood on their family. I'm saying Pharah is not white.

If we're going by the link you posted, then a majority of them identify as Mestizo. You can have a majority African Ancestry and choose to identify as Mestizo