• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Insane success, kudos. Will add a +1 to that as soon as I get rid of a couple games from my rotation.

Oct 25, 2017
Far cry 5 didn't seem that exceptional. Not ragging on the game, I'm sure it's great, but it seems like more far cry. What makes this game have a stronger velocity than previous ones?

Next gen? Rise of digital?

Shifty1897

Oct 28, 2017
The marketing team deserves the praise for this one. So many people I know who are "bro culture" gamers knew this game was coming out and that it was something they wanted. Not even reviews could stop that hype train.

Not talking bad about the game, just saying it's pretty hard to sell 5 mil unless you're tapping into a (big) market of more-casual-than-some players.

OléGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Airborne Aquarium
5 million in a week, wew lad.
Well deserved though, I think its my favourite Far Cry overall. Ubi has been pumping out quality lately and seeing the results of that.

Far cry 5 didn't seem that exceptional. Not ragging on the game, I'm sure it's great, but it seems like more far cry. What makes this game have a stronger velocity than previous ones?

My thoughts would be: Numbered Far Cry, Montana setting, full campaign co-op, lovely graphics, utter chaos in game, streamer friendly.
It's a simple recipe but it works.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

More emphasis on co-op probably.

And marketing. Ubi knows how to sell to casuals.

nycgamer4ever

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

How are you judging the game if it seems like you didn't play it. It's the best Farcry game imo by far.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ubisoft seems to have really hit its stride in knowing how to make their games sell at this point. Despite valid complaints about story and its issues, their focus on player involvement, coop and general gameplay fun is paying off in spades.

MMaRsu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sold through or?

5 million in a week, wew lad.
Well deserved though, I think its my favourite Far Cry overall. Ubi has been pumping out quality lately and seeing the results of that.

My thoughts would be: Numbered Far Cry, Montana setting, full campaign co-op, lovely graphics, utter chaos in game, streamer friendly.
It's a simple recipe but it works.

Far Cry 4 was numbered but didn't set the world on fire. Not sure why the Montana setting would help with that to be honest. Full campaign co-op? Yeah except that you can't save your campaign progress as the coop player. And what exactly does 'streamer friendly' mean?

Utter chaos ingame? Eh, FC2 had more chaos and better details.

Either way I agree with Mikey Jr. that it doesn't seem like anything special at all. Just another run of the mill Far Cry game. With a terrible story to boot.

OP
OP
Nirolak

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
More emphasis on co-op probably.

And marketing. Ubi knows how to sell to casuals.
Yes, though I should note their biggest marketing strength is on the front end (coming up with a product idea that's really appealing to their target audience) as opposed to the back end (running lots of TV commercials and online ads).

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, that's incredible. I thought it might reach 10 mil lifetime but it could end up breezing past that easily.

Raven117

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ubisoft needs some serious kudos here.

They have made a complete about face since the launch of The Division. Even in some of their stock holder calls, they said The Division marked a new direction for the company and its showing.

Farcry 5 is fantastic. The gameplay is solid, the DLC packs are really more of expansions (so they claim), microtransactions are small and fairly inconsequential. The game also hosts alot of diversity with people of color and women being well represented (which doesn't get near enough attention).

Ubisoft is making great games right now. While they may not have the special sauce that some of the truly exceptional games do (Witcher 3, BotW), they are continuing to push their formula and take just enough risks to keep it interesting.

We should be applauding Ubisoft for the example they are setting for AAA publishers. And...it seems like they are...in the form of sales.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
Congrats to Ubisoft.

Maybe one day people will realize that Ubisoft does not need to change up the Ubisoft formula, specifically because lots and lots of people like it.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Highest selling game of the first half of the year without a doubt

Oct 29, 2017
Should've called it Far Cry 5M

Far Cry 4 was numbered but didn't set the world on fire. Not sure why the Montana setting would help with that to be honest.
Americans like Murica, why do you think GTA never moves outside of the states. GTA Kathmandu would sell much worse, like Far Cry 4.

Also

Far Cry 5 is a massive success on console.

I'm expecting about 5M. Is that conservative?

I rock.

Catdaddy

Oct 27, 2017
TN
I held for sales for previous games, but the familiar/Montana setting + crazed cult really peaked my interest and ended up as a Day 1 purchase and don't regret at all. Even if Ubi "played it safe" with the storyline they still made a very enjoyable world – even with it's flaws. Ubi has gotten much better of late taking and actually improving their franchises: Far Cry dropped the crafting upgrade system which I hated and eliminated towers (well except for one), AC Origins is one of the best in the series, Watch Dogs 2 improved the original and my GOTY 2016.

MMaRsu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno man, the crafting system is one of the best things about the older Far Cry games..

LakeShore

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like I'm missing out on something with this game. Was the first person in my local CEX to trade it in according to the guy that served me. Couldn't get on with it at all.

dyst

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The marketing team deserves the praise for this one. So many people I know who are "bro culture" gamers knew this game was coming out and that it was something they wanted. Not even reviews could stop that hype train.

Not talking bad about the game, just saying it's pretty hard to sell 5 mil unless you're tapping into a (big) market of more-casual-than-some players.
I get what you are saying, but this game seems anything but bro culture. Then again, I might not know what bro culture really is lol.

Luchashaq

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Now if only there was an option to auto skip every cutscene and piece of trash ass dialogue and the game would be decent. So annoying when holding circle doesn't register correctly and I have to hear the mindless drivel for 15 seconds before it skips correctly.

Nov 27, 2017
Congrats I suppose, but I really liked Primal and wish it was more successful so we'd see more historical settings

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
The changes they made to the game have made it my favorite Far Cry to date in terms of gameplay. Story could be a little more hard hitting but that's such a side note in a game that is just incredibly fun to play.

Undrey

Oct 29, 2017
I don't think it's the setting that made the game successful. Both the story and the release window helped a lot, as well as the marketing and word of mouth.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
Godamn Ubisoft have turned themselves around! They used to be terrible but they have really done a 180 on how they support and release their games. No more buggy messes like Unity was.

I think this started with ac syndicate actually being a good game and not a buggy mess.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
i have no idea what you're talking about

sh

giphy.gif

Anubis

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Awesome game and I'm not normally an open world fan.

The BOTW formula definitely is reinvigorating the genre.

Oct 27, 2017

I like it because it seems more streamlined than Farcry 4 was (never played much of the other ones). It's also quite the looker on my One X

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017

Install base is bigger than when Primal and Far Cry 4 came out, so it would make sense that is selling aster than those.

Not sure about previous ones though