• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Conal

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Dude was someone's alt btw.

I assumed it probably was, the lack or avatar gives it away every time.

It's just so frustrating when people are talking about the systematic grooming and raping of children over a period that spans decades and someone wants to pivot the conversation to 'sometimes women lie about being raped'.

Like, we can't even talk about some of the most horrific acts a person could commit, something that should be universally agreed upon without peoples hatred of women seeping out like puss from a rotting wound. This red pill shit is just so pathetic.

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
Dude was someone's alt btw.
13:41:06: Alan Dershowitz has logged on
13:43:44: Alan Dershowitz has posted in EpsteinChat
13:47:54: Alan Dershowitz has been banned from EpsteinChat

14:52:34: darklancer has logged on
14:53:40: darklancer has posted in EpsteinChat
14:54:00: darklancer has been banned from EpsteinChat

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
No, no don't you see, he had to say he was in good spirits so that they'd give him back his sheets so he could kill himself. #DefinitelyNotMurder
You joke, but why wouldn't a person intent on killing himself put on a happy face to avoid getting thrown on suicide watch again? I don't think you can read anything into this one way or another. Hell, it's a known phenomenon for some suicidal people to appear to be in a great mood right before they go through with it because they feel they have a solution to their distress.

I feel people are underrating the possibility that the lax standards of his incarceration weren't all down to nefarious intention or incredible negligence but actually the result of Epstein being a rich af dude with powerful lawyers, the same sort of thing that got him cozy treatment in the past. 24/7 observation, suicide watch, etc. are all super intrusive. His lawyers didn't want him on suicide watch. He paid to spend hours a day in a meeting room with legal counsel simply so he could be out of his cell. Perhaps the jail didn't see him as the same sort of threat as El Chapo so they didn't push back too hard on giving him more breathing room. Giving a rich dude a little more leeway + a dysfunctional system? Maybe a recipe for disaster.

Oliver Darcy talked with some doctors and pathologists who say the presence of multiple neck fractures is actually more consistent with a hanging death than strangulation.

To get a better understanding of this, I spoke on the phone with Sanjay Gupta, CNN's chief medical correspondent. Gupta immediately noted that "once you get beyond 40 or 50" the hyoid bone "becomes much more brittle and easier to break." Again, Epstein was 66.

But what Gupta found most interesting was that, in its totality, the autopsy results presented in WaPo's story actually were more consistent with a suicidal hanging than a strangulation. Why? Because of the multiple broken neck bones.

"It actually suggests much more strongly that it was hanging versus strangulation," Gupta explained. "You wouldn't break those other bones during a strangulation."

What other experts told me

I obviously wanted to check in with some other medical experts to get a second, third, and even fourth opinion. I spoke on the phone with Gerald Rodts, chief of spinal surgery at the Emory Clinic. He said, "The presence of other broken bones in his neck, from a guy hanging 66 years old, is very consistent with suicidal hanging." Rodts agreed that "classically with strangulation, you don't see broken bones. It's not common. That's what really kind of goes against that theory."

I also talked with Bill Loyd, a surgeon board-certified in both ophthalmology and anatomic pathology, with training in forensic pathology. He cautioned against even looking at the hyoid bone, calling it "meaningless" and saying he was "not persuaded that [Epstein] didn't hang himself."

"Stay away from it," Loyd said. "It doesn't indicate anything." Loyd added, "You can twist the hyoid bone theory to tell whatever story you want to tell. It just gives naysers the ability to advance whatever conspiracy theories they want to tell."

Finally, I chatted with Cyril Wecht, a high-profile forensic pathologist who had previously expressed some suspicion about Epstein's death. But, he too explained, if the possibility of force during the hanging could be shown, "and if there are cervical vertebrae fractures, and a fractured hyoid bone, I would say that is more consistent with a hanging in that fashion than it would be a strangulation."

Lonewulfeus

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You joke, but why wouldn't a person intent on killing himself put on a happy face to avoid getting thrown on suicide watch again? I don't think you can read anything into this one way or another. Hell, it's a known phenomenon for some suicidal people to appear to be in a great mood right before they go through with it because they feel they have a solution to their distress.

I feel people are underrating the possibility that the lax standards of his incarceration weren't all down to nefarious intention or incredible negligence but actually the result of Epstein being a rich af dude with powerful lawyers, the same sort of thing that got him cozy treatment in the past. 24/7 observation, suicide watch, etc. are all super intrusive. His lawyers didn't want him on suicide watch. He paid to spend hours a day in a meeting room with legal counsel simply so he could be out of his cell. Perhaps the jail didn't see him as the same sort of threat as El Chapo so they didn't push back too hard on giving him more breathing room. Giving a rich dude a little more leeway + a dysfunctional system? Maybe a recipe for disaster.

Oliver Darcy talked with some doctors and pathologists who say the presence of multiple neck fractures is actually more consistent with a hanging death than strangulation.

Zucker must be in Epstein's book